Start by marking “The McKinsey Way” as Want to Read:
The McKinsey Way

The McKinsey Way

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,390 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
"If more business books were as useful, concise, and just plain fun to read as THE MCKINSEY WAY, the business world would be a better place." --Julie Bick, best-selling author of ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IN BUSINESS I LEARNED AT MICROSOFT. "Enlivened by witty anecdotes, THE MCKINSEY WAY contains valuable lessons on widely diverse topics such as marketing, interviewing, te ...more
Published February 22nd 1999 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The McKinsey Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The McKinsey Way

Misericordia ❣
Aug 23, 2015 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
A very good book. Though, the best way to characterise it would be to requote from it:

I think anything I say would be too cynical.
—Former associate in the London office

Here goes a bit of tongue-in-the-cheek vocab for it:

1. “What’s the so-what?”

Translation: How is this analysis useful?

Real meaning: You’re one up on me because you’ve done a ton of complex analysis and I haven’t. Allow me to reassert my authority by challenging you to explain the purpose, and implying that while you are living ins
Ahmed Bin Madhi أحمد بن ماضي

Pros:

- Simple language, very accessible and follows a logical flow of topics

- Short. You can read it in a short/mid flight (not that I did:)

- Structured approach for many commonsensical things business professionals naturally do (some may see this as a con)

- Some useful tips here and there (e.g. interviewing tips)

Cons:

- Not much insight as one would expect from the book title.. no mind blowing/eye opening revelations about McKinsey’s inner workings

- Too generalist (though I believe one should no
Boyd Coleman
Feb 15, 2010 Boyd Coleman rated it did not like it
This is the most worthless book ever written. Some of the McKinsey wisdom:

Put charts in you presentations to display data. Really!?

A good assistant is priceless. I was thinking of someday getting an awful one.

Don't become a work-a-holic? hmmmm.....

Every problem has 3 causes and 3 solutions. That would make solving problems easier. If only it were true! That's not how you solve problems, that's how you sell solutions to clients! Consultants suck.

I hope for nobody else to waste their money on this
Suhrob
Sep 26, 2014 Suhrob rated it did not like it
This book has:

1. lots of trivial advice (be organized, use charts...)
2. tiny bits of interesting (but not world-shattering) concepts (e.g. MECE) described in a shallow enough detail so that it won't help you all that much
3. McKinsey-ites work long hours*. You'll hear that on every second page.
4. mixture of boring business stories with occasional glances of the borderline sociopathic business power-player archetype.

There are also bits that are clearly incorrect, mostly when he tries to branch ou
Vimal
Jun 17, 2015 Vimal rated it it was ok
Hmmm , It was interesting to pick the book with big brand of " Mckinsey Way" .

I had lot of expectation with this book on business problem solving but book failed to do it. If you are just management graduate , it may found interesting but for the experienced professional its just normal guidelines.

I would love to rate it higher side if Rasiel has added some tools / technics / Models in this book . It may be because of confidentiality agreement with Mckinsey , he has not added it in the part .
Antonina Sh
Jul 09, 2012 Antonina Sh rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I started my digging into consulting industry with - and I think I made the right choice. A very fast and easy reading, I'd say even fascinating. Great for the starters, to give you a general insight into the industry and how it works. Actually, I guess anyone in business management/corporate world would find something useful to get out of it. Some really helpful advise and tips.
It helped me understand what I really want to do, and where to start. That being said, I'll pr
Shantanu
Nov 04, 2015 Shantanu rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Wonderful insights on the management skills needed for a consultants, the do's and dont's. Definitely a must read for beginner consultant.
Ricardo
Jul 21, 2014 Ricardo rated it it was ok
This must be interesting for anyone interested in consulting. The author goes about describing how it is to work for this company, how it is all fact-based and how most consultants are very intelligent and work hard. This is fair and probably useful for those.
However it is disturbing that being so intelligent, he does not dare to step the the following level of thinking and provide some stronger appraisal of what it is REALLY like working for the company. A first shortcoming is the repetition of
Rajesh
Feb 25, 2010 Rajesh rated it liked it
Essentially doesnt offer too much insight into the tools that make McConsulting so valued. However, it is a very simple read touting the basic tenets of problem solving, the lifestyle of a consultant, the "firm"'s ethos touched upon on a superficial basis. Takeaways...MECE, information flow, doing the best one can within time and resource limits, hypothesis driven approaches etc.
Prashant
Feb 04, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it
This book could be your preliminary coursework on How to be a Consultant?
Very lucidly written and replete with example from the company itself this book is indispensable if you want to know the life about the life of a consultant.
Eric T.
Jan 26, 2014 Eric T. rated it liked it
Not a bad book necessarily, but I think its utility is limited for many people. Almost exclusively written through the perspective of the management consultant, its tone and contents are rather elitist at times.

As far as the advice goes, there are several highlights. These areas include hypohesis-driven problem solving, "don't reinvent the wheel", brainstorming, conducting interviews, obtaining organizational buy-in, and pre-wiring presentations for success. These concepts are certainly non-aca
Mohan
Aug 06, 2014 Mohan rated it really liked it
A book with a little more deep dive into McKinsey strategy than McKinsey Mind but focused well on how to present and get a buy in from your clients. Good read.
Coan
Jun 13, 2015 Coan rated it really liked it
While the book isn't ground breaking, I found it quite well written and easy to read. If you've done an MBA or similar studies, there isn't much new here. However I did find the insights of 'the Firm' very interesting in terms of how it operates. For those who want a holiday read but want to feel productive at the same time.

However, if you haven't done any advanced studies in business operations or management, then this book may be an excellent gateway book for you. It covers matters such as ide
Ben
Jun 12, 2009 Ben rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This is basically the Bible at my job for managers. I read it because I've been craving some sort of business/management/leadership advice, and work wasn't filling the craving all the way.

The McKinsey Way tells about the specific methods McKinsey Consulting uses when solving business problems, how to deal with clients and travel and how to manage your life while you're doing it.

I'm an engineer, so I went to school to learn how to solve problems, and have been working solving business problems b
Agoes
Dec 22, 2011 Agoes rated it it was ok
Penulis buku ini berusaha untuk mengemukakan seperti apa pola pikir dan metode pemecahan masalah yang digunakan dalam sebuah perusahaan konsultan manajemen sekelas McKinsey. Ini tema yang menarik, namun sayangnya materi yang disampaikan oleh penulis terasa kurang menarik dan cukup banyak yang sudah diketahui lewat kuliah ataupun berdasarkan common sense.

Permasalahan lain dari buku ini adalah perbedaan jaman yang sudah cukup jauh. Saat buku ini diterbitkan (1999), perkembangan internet belum sema
Michael Musgrove
Jan 31, 2016 Michael Musgrove rated it it was amazing
This is a great way to get an idea of how a lot of business and politics really work. There are a lot of big brains working at a lot of consulting firms that make calls for CEOs and leaders that are doing all the hard thinking and decision-making, then giving that info to the leaders to decide upon and present to the company or country.

Also if you're a consultant or want to be, this is a must-read to learn how to operate and deliver professional deliverables.
PinkDomino
Sep 07, 2015 PinkDomino rated it it was amazing
As the book has taught, loved the book for _three_ reasons:
1. It is capable of kindling an interest in business and business books
2. You retire from the book just a bit wiser :)
3. The book's effortless transition between the two genders playing the same role. Very few business books exhibit gender equality in the corporate world without even trying and I'm hoping it's reflective of one of the things that McKinsey stands for as an organization.
Lizzie
Apr 15, 2016 Lizzie rated it liked it
Decent intro book to management consulting. Provides a basic insight to -some- of the tools used by McKinsey, though lacking in much detail on many the mentioned processes and structures behind a typical "McKinsey-ites" work day. With exception to MECE and hypothesis driven models, much of the content is based on well known cliches of achieving success. Was expecting a long read, but turned out to be an easy read within a couple of hours.
Sidhartha Barik
Apr 14, 2013 Sidhartha Barik rated it really liked it
This is must for all MBA students. The book provides a great insight to what and how things are done in one of the greatest consultancy firm in the whole world.

Ethan being one of the former employees brings in his book, the same level of quality that is there in McKinsey. This is, clear and well structured, mutually exclusive, to the point & concise. The book is structured in 5 parts, first 3 says, how to approach a problem, work on it and then sell it to client.(however Ethan repeatedly say
Kanti Brahma
May 29, 2011 Kanti Brahma rated it really liked it
Business problems are known to be higly complex and organic. The McKinsey Way highlights how simple methods can be and infact are deployed to crack the complexity of business problems. The book explains how to start, where to start, how to approach, how to arrive at conclusion and where to compromise and how to make your suggestions acceptable to the clients.
Ethan's simple and lucid illustration, logical structure makes the book an easy read. The book is like a consulting bootcamp that teaches
John Jamison
Aug 18, 2014 John Jamison rated it really liked it
Quite a narrow handbook, but good brain food for anyone going into professional services. Although you may not work in a company that is run in this way (I hardly think that McKinsey itself still follows all of these tips), there are several practical ideas that you'll find yourself highlighting and referring to before your next pitch meeting.
Mugdha
Sep 05, 2014 Mugdha rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite business books and it remains interesting even after multiple readings. Most suitable for someone in the field of Sales, Business Analysis and Consulting ofcourse. Lucid language, clear action points and relevant examples makes this book a must-have on any professional's book shelf.
ww
Jun 20, 2014 ww rated it liked it
After reading through the book, I find it talked mainly about what people already know about McKinsey and consulting. It does cover the job consultants do in McKinsey, however, no deep analysis into any topic. If a comment is needed, I have to say that I have hoped a more informative book before.
Eric
Oct 05, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing
The McKinsey Way is a great introductory book that outlines some of the core methodologies as well as lessons from the Firm.
It is a fun and quick read, loaded with real examples from the days author spent at the Firm.
Towards the end however, especially around book IV, things get a bit too general and examples sourced from the same individuals. But to be fair to the author, unless a formal research is conducted over many years, repeats and overlaps can only be expected regardless of how proficie
Nikolaos
Sep 26, 2014 Nikolaos rated it really liked it
A very packed list of guidelines regarding the Firm, consulting and working in intense corporate environment in general. It was a page turner and it made me feel a better person as I was thinking about its content, thus inspiring in its own way.
John McGhee
Apr 15, 2016 John McGhee rated it liked it
A quick read, a little dated but still an interesting look behind the scenes of high-value management consulting. Recommended as useful prep if you might find yourself sitting across the table from a consultant in the near future.
Steve Shu
Aug 06, 2015 Steve Shu rated it it was amazing
This book is one of four books I recommend as core to the practice of consulting. It does a very reasonable job of introducing the profession. More details here: http://steveshuconsulting.com/2015/07...
Mohamed
Apr 18, 2016 Mohamed rated it really liked it
Very nice and easy going book. It is not a technical text book telling you how to be a consultant, but it gives you an overview about how the world's biggest consulting company does business. Useful if you are a consultant, entrepreneur or in the business world in general.
Estêvão Eller
Feb 07, 2016 Estêvão Eller rated it liked it
Os primeiros capítulos trazem lições importantes que podem ser aplicadas em qualquer negócio, principalmente quando se trata de resolver problemas. São exemplos a abordagem MECE - Mutually Exclusive and Collectively Exhaustive e o resolução ser direcionada por hipóteses.
No fim o autor apresenta a Firma, traz lições mais genéricas contadas por ex-colegas (ele é ex-funcionário) além de contar mais sobre sua experiência.
Bharat Vishwakarma
Jan 12, 2016 Bharat Vishwakarma rated it it was amazing
very great book, I am doing my MBA and I can tell by dime that this book has taught me more then the 5 terms of MBA till now. a must read for everyone a must must for people in business.
  • The McKinsey Engagement: Insider Secrets to the Tools and Techniques Used by the World's Top Consulting Firm
  • The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives
  • The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • House of Lies: How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time
  • Say It with Charts
  • Case Interview Secrets: A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • Key Management Models: The 60+ Models Every Manager Needs to Know
  • How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees
  • The $10 Trillion Prize: Captivating the Newly Affluent in China and India
  • Minto Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking, & Problem Solving
  • The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook and Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise
  • Blown to Bits: How the New Economics of Information Transforms Strategy
  • The Firm: The Story of McKinsey and Its Secret Influence on American Business
  • The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment

“Does every aspect of the problem come under one (and only one) of these issues—that is, have you thought of everything? If so, then your issues are collectively exhaustive.” 0 likes
“Don’t try to pound them into your framework like square pegs into round holes.” 0 likes