Start by marking “Elton: The Biography” as Want to Read:
Elton: The Biography

Elton: The Biography

One of music’s true global superstars and most admired figures, Elton John has sold an estimated 200 million albums worldwide to date, and continues to appear regularly in the singles charts, thanks largely to a series of high-profile collaborations with new faces.

But he is loved as much for his outrageous personality and witty outspokenness as for his music: recent memor
Published October 28th 2007 by Chicago Review Press (first published February 19th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Elton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elton

Brian
Jan 18, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
In this fascinating biography Mr. Buckley delves into the man behind the music without reverting to gossip and tabloid theatrics. Although there are a few moments in this book where Buckley allows himself to falter into such territory (an unseemly discussion of anagrams with Elton's name for example) overall the text focuses on the music of Elton John and how it came to be shaped and formed.
After reading this text I have a new appreciation for the longevity of Elton's career and music, and also
Bryan
Feb 20, 2008 Bryan rated it liked it
Not bad as far as biographies go, but Buckley is a little too fond of his subject -- he manages to find something nice to say about almost all of Elton John's albums, especially the ones recorded during Elton's fallow period between "Blue Moves" and "Too Low for Zero."

In addition to his fawning over his subject, Buckley quotes extensively from Phillip Norman's earlier biography of the singer. I wish I had read that one instead because Buckley trods over the same ground that's familiar to most E
Trailhoundz
Feb 04, 2014 Trailhoundz rated it really liked it
Nice introductory book about singer/songwriter Elton John. I can't rate too much on accuracy because I'm not that familiar with his life or work (beyond those radio-friendly hits). I appreciated that the author was up front about his admiration of the artist, yet indicated that he wasn't really a fan-- and unlike a few of the other reviewers, I thought he stayed true to this neutrality. Two sections of photos inside- really great.
Wilde Sky
Elton John’s rise to international stardom is detailed in this biography.

There quite a few interesting facts about Elton John, but I never felt that I gained a real understanding of the musician.

I found some of the writing overblown and the numerous asides clouded the biography. The lack of context for certain details meant they didn’t add to the narrative.
Lisa
Jul 29, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
I've always been a huge EJ fan, but this is SO MUCH FUN reading about his early years. I'm listening to my favorite albums and looking up some that I dont have yet.
Wow! this was so much fun. I loved learning more about how different the British pop scene is compared to the American scene.
Laura Jo
Feb 15, 2010 Laura Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I'm liking this book. I've been a big fan of Elton ever since the early 70's. This gives a lot of history into his life and music that I never knew before, more in-depth than what I remember reading in the newspapers and such. An interesting life for a sometimes bigger-than-life person!
Dawn
Apr 12, 2016 Dawn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author tends to ramble and jump from topic to topic. The book lacked cohesiveness and did not provide a comprehensive view of the life of Elton John. Very choppy and unsatisfying to read.
Mario
Apr 24, 2014 Mario rated it it was amazing
Very educational, full of details, objective... I would recommend it ti everyone. The only thing is that it needs continuation since it's written in 2007.
William
I have enjoyed Elton John's music just about my entire life so at 43 it's about time a read a biography of this musical genius.
Jun 08, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Great coverage of Elton John's life from his childhood until 2007. Excellent discussions of his albums on the songs on each one.
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2010
Andy Mulkerin
Andy Mulkerin rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2008
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
May 10, 2009
Ed Morgan
Ed Morgan rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Steven Hartman
Steven Hartman rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2015
Kevin Thomas Oakes
Kevin Thomas Oakes rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Rusty Dillingham
Rusty Dillingham rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2011
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Talgian
Talgian rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Claudette
Claudette rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Amber Woolsey
Amber Woolsey rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2013
alexa
alexa rated it did not like it
May 11, 2015
Beth Taylor
Beth Taylor rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
pam o shea
pam o shea rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Grandma
Grandma rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2010