Start by marking “Where the Lightning Strikes: The Lives of American Indian Sacred Places” as Want to Read:
Where the Lightning Strikes: The Lives of American Indian Sacred Places

Where the Lightning Strikes: The Lives of American Indian Sacred Places

A revelatory new look at the hallowed, diverse, and threatened landscapes of the American Indian For thousands of years , Native Americans have told stories about the powers of revered landscapes and sought spiritual direction at mysterious places in their homelands. In this important book, respected scholar and anthropologist Peter Nabokov writes of a wide range of sacred ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Penguin Books (first published January 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Where the Lightning Strikes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Lightning Strikes

Erin
Aug 01, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd had Nabokov as a professor. I think he would have changed my life.

Instead, I will be content with his books. Unlike some other reviewers, I appreciate the scattered-ness of the book - it's sort of like a "who's who" of Native American tribes, and opens the door to some interesting discoveries and stories.

To say this book is well-researched does not do it credit - it is clear that Nabokov lives and breathes his work. This is no fluffy panoramic, but a guidebook to the peoples that we
Abby
I agree with some other reviewers that this book is a little scattered, and maybe not quite what it sets out to be. But for what it turned out to be, it's pretty good. I am continually struck by Nabokov's good writing (and his overexcited grammar too, sometimes). The book is broad, literary, and clearly personal, and I like Nabokov's honesty as he navigates the treacherous waters of somebody else's religion. Informative work, but not earth-shaking.

Serendipitous moment: while driving around Backr
J.S. Bangs
I was expecting this book to be a discussion of various specific sacred places in North America, but in that respect I was somewhat disappointed. The book is instead a discussion of sixteen different tribes and sacred traditions, with an broad overview of that tribe's relationship to its geography and spirituality. As such it was very informative and sometimes moving, but it suffered from being slightly impersonal and scattered.
Christian Crowley
Apr 21, 2011 Christian Crowley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book I received from the author at an Interior workshop. Great stories so far, many of which provided an uncanny parallel to the chapters of Cadillac Desert, which I was reading at the same time.
Karen
From the past into the future, the author has researched Indian sacred places with descriptions of then and the current state of affairs. It's a sad tale of the robbing of Indian lands and the destruction in the name of commerce and consumerism that resulted in our current reservations.
Scott
Dec 18, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just dipped in to areas in which I was interested.
Deena Metzger
Aug 07, 2012 Deena Metzger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An essential text to understand this sacred land and the actions against it.
Rachel
Jun 12, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: undergrad
Not an unbiased account, but an emotionally wrenching one. This book will break your heart.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Dawntree
Dawntree rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2008
Audrey Erickson
Audrey Erickson rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Rosa
Rosa rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2014
Donna Metzger
Donna Metzger rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Andrew Hart
Andrew Hart rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Ted Holland
Ted Holland rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2014
Fjain
Fjain rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2008
Eric Fry
Eric Fry rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Drymph
Drymph rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2008
Hank Fay
Hank Fay rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2011
Susie
Susie rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Ravenloudspeaker
Ravenloudspeaker rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
hatpin
hatpin rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2008
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2007
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2008
Grant Williams
Grant Williams rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2017
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2010
Tyler
Tyler rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Alexia
Alexia rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Reading Wolf
Reading Wolf rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
mastamho 1 1 Sep 28, 2014 08:23AM
Peter Nabokov is professor of American Indian Studies and World Arts and Cultures at UCLA. His previous books include A Forest of Time, Native American Testimony, Native American Architecture (with Robert Easton), Indian Running, Two Leggings: The Making of a Crow Warrior, and Architecture of Acoma Pueblo
More about Peter Nabokov...