Start by marking “With You and Without You” as Want to Read:
With You and Without You

With You and Without You

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A twelve-year-old faces the fact that her father is dying, and then his death, but dealing with the emptiness afterwards is hardest of all.
Published December 1st 1989 by Scholastic (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about With You and Without You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With You and Without You

Carin
Dec 29, 2009 Carin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, death
Ah, another book that I remember always used to make me cry! Even though Liza isn't the oldest, as the oldest daughter she's still in some ways the most responsible, so I really identified with her. The way this book was structured was very nice. We get a good part of the book while Liza's father is still alive, his heart failing. We see the family interact with him and how he's such a great father. Then we get the immediate aftermath of his death, and the later consequences such as moving out o ...more
Amber
Aug 14, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing
Land sakes, one of the best books I have ever read. Cried my face. Reminds me of being just small and reading droves of books every summer. Ann M. Martin forever.
Emma P
May 08, 2015 Emma P rated it it was amazing
Grade/interest level: MS
Reading level: 660L
Genre: Fiction
Main Characters: Liza, Marc, mom
Setting: house, school, parties, different house ect.
POV: First person
Liza is a 7th grade girl living in a family of 6. Her dad has been pretty sick lately. He goes to the doctor and they say he will only live for 6 months to a year. Liza's dad loved Christmas, and he died 61/2 months later. Liza needed to learn to be happy again, and enjoy Christmas. Follow her journey by reading "With and Without You".
Ashley
Jul 11, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2012, 3-stars
I finished my other book halfway through my commute and needed something to read the rest of the way, so I chose this because all of Ann M's books are short and sweet. Though it probably wasn't the pick for the train - the first half of the book had me holding back tears like a champion. I liked how this book shows that there's no proper way to grieve, that everybody handles death differently, and that's okay. I loved how close-knit Liza's family was, both before and after their father's death. ...more
Lori Georgeff
May 25, 2015 Lori Georgeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story of a girl who loved her father.

I don't care how old you are but whether old or young, losing one of your parents is one of the hardest things you will ever do. Anne did a marvelous job in expressing her feelings about doing so. Thank You so very much for doing this.
Sharanya
Dec 03, 2014 Sharanya rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ve ever cried so hard while reading a book when I first read it several years ago. And it is still makes me tear up when I re-read it. This is a wonderful tale of grasping reality and coming to terms with the loss of a parent. 12-yr old protagonist Liza O'Hara along with siblings Brent, Carrie and Hope is faced with confronting the excruciatingly painful impending death of their father. Along with their mother, they plan a memorable Christmas for him. Eventually after his passing ...more
Meg
Oct 09, 2014 Meg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: y-a
One of my favorite books growing up - I read it over and over. Very heartfelt and well-written.

Now I want to dig it out and read it again.
Melanie Raye
Feb 02, 2016 Melanie Raye rated it liked it
this book is so sad and honest. even though it is aimed at pre-teens, it is incredibly powerful and touching.
Lavender Bell
Sep 19, 2014 Lavender Bell rated it it was amazing
I can identify with this book because my dad died too.
Halida
Jan 01, 2012 Halida rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A story of an American family struggling with the death of their loved one. The pain of losing a husband and father was almost unbearable for the O'Haras, and everybody dealt with it in different ways. Liza, one of the O'Hara kids, couldn't let herself have any fun for months after her father's death.
The best Ann M. Martin book I've read so far.
Andrew
Mar 03, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
First book that ever got me emotionally involved in the story. I remember balling my eyes out as a 6th grader, maybe a 7th grader, not sure. I should reread it to experience it again, but the impact that it had on me as a youth is immeasurable.
Jun 17, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Started With You and Without You by Ann M. Martin is very good. It's made me cry numerous times already--I had to put the book down while elliptical-ing yesterday so I wouldn't cry at the gym. That would've been mucho embarassing!!!
Rebecca
Sep 11, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: junior
This is one of the few books I remember reading when younger, and the only book that has ever had my sobbing. I don't remember much in the way of details, just that it has really stuck with me.
Sally
Apr 29, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, family, 1980s, death
This book really did make me cry a lot when I read it! Lisa's father is dying, and the book follows her and her family through this to his death, and then the aftermath.
Jenny
Dec 14, 2007 Jenny rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in elementary school and it has stayed with me. The main character's father is dying and something about it just got me. I loved it.
Wisty
Feb 26, 2012 Wisty rated it liked it
I only remember that this book was ok, but that's all I remember.
Kim
May 04, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Loved this book when I was younger.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Dest
Dest rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Hilde
Hilde rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Kylie
Kylie rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
M
M added it
Jan 24, 2016
Fiona R
Fiona R marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Rajashree
Rajashree rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 30, 2015
Nicole Lawton
Nicole Lawton marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Roxy
Roxy marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Night to Remember (Sweet Valley High, Magna Edition)
  • Archie #3
  • Ms. Marvel, #19: Last Days, Part IV
  • Dawn Rochelle (Dawn Rochelle, #1-4)
  • Piper Reed Gets a Job (Piper Reed #3)
  • Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary: Words You Thought You Knew the Meaning Of
  • Goodnight Kiss #1-2 (Collector's Edition)
  • Jem and the Holograms #2 (Jem and the Holograms, #2).
  • The Way to Yesterday

More about Ann M. Martin...