Start by marking “The Temporal Knights” as Want to Read:
The Temporal Knights

The Temporal Knights

The first victims died on the fourteenth of June and before the month was out every human female, young boy and non-virile male was dead. Five billion people in all. In the wake of the tragedy came unbridled grief, disease and chaos…and finally Martial Law.
Extinction was staring Mankind in the face. It took over a year to stabilize what was left of society, and then anot
Published April 5th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Temporal Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temporal Knights

Neville
Jun 04, 2014 Neville rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
What a great story. Humans taking their technology back into the past into the time of Alfred the Great to save themselves in the future.

The writing just made everything come to life, i.e. the old language, the smells and the people and their times in history.

Great ending which could be carried on into a series.

Will definitely read again slower at a later date so I get even more out of it.
Gene
Aug 12, 2013 Gene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best one of Ricks books so far. I wanted to write before, but my time was spent reading so I couldn't review it. I'll review it better when I finish it. Until then, it's grabbed me to much.
BD Satterthwaite
Jun 28, 2014 BD Satterthwaite rated it really liked it
Strange journey

I found this book to be absorbing and it held my interest until the very end. I found the end to be inconsistent with the rest of the book. Still a fun read.
Tcartkcand
Nov 23, 2016 Tcartkcand rated it it was amazing
Loved the story - wish someone would make a miniseries of the entire saga
Reflection
*** 3.5 Stars. ***
Temporal Knights has to be one of the cleverest science fiction concepts I have ever come across. There is sheer genius and a cunning plot of modern day soldiers who have watched the slaughter and destruction of their twentyfirst century world despite their skill and best efforts to prevent it. In desperation they use stolen alien technology to go back in time hoping to prepare more effectively for the inevitable future alien invasion; whilst also subsequently using the alien s
Sarah Briggs
Oct 23, 2014 Sarah Briggs rated it really liked it
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I felt this book was a particularly intriguing one. When I first read the blurb, I found the idea of humanity trying to survive in the face of utter slaughter of women and children a really interesting one. Also, the book had time travel... and to the Dark Ages, which I feel is an interesting period of our history... perhaps because so little is known about that time.

I got pulled into the plot prett
Sean Randall
Jun 21, 2015 Sean Randall rated it did not like it
There were a few proofing errors which truly irritated me in this one, things like ad nausea, sweat meats, and use of the word accent instead of ascent. Then there were the picky issues with technology; Their computers are idiotic, or perhaps the men just get a kick out of saying computer as it seems to hear them just fine when they omit the word.

The second thing to really get my goat was the dialect of the locals. Forsooth was used quite often (34 times, to be precise). Na, Thee, ye and tis ab
Mary
Oct 20, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes classic science fiction
On the edge of your seat Science Fiction that reminds you of the Golden Age.

A group of male military men who have survived about 6 long years after an alien invasion has decimated the rest of civilization, has created a possible chance for survival. Of course some must die (what good story wouldn't have hero's left behind) and nothing has been tested but what choice is there for these brave men but to die trying or die fighting? And so a door to the past is created and the men move through to a
Johnster
Sep 25, 2015 Johnster rated it liked it
E.A.
( I received a copy of this eBook from the Goodreads group Read It & Reap in exchange for an honest review. )

3.5 Stars

This was well written

But

I'm a little sad.

This books has such a strong opening, and it really drew me in. It was fast pace, and you can feel the sense of urgency. You can feel the surviving soldiers desperation and the need for survival.

After they "went back in time" It actually got a little boring for me. It tapered off and at times I felt like their main mission was g
Elise Valente
Aug 08, 2014 Elise Valente rated it really liked it
The only thing stopping this book from getting 5 stars were the atrocious spelling and grammar errors that plague it. For instance, it's "personal," not "personnel." "Personnel" refers to people, like staff. "Personal" refers to someone's stuff--personal feelings, personal beliefs, etc. This is just one example. There were too many others to list here.

Aside from that, the story was awesome. Great plot, great characters, all of it. I was sucked in and couldn't put this book down. Seriously, this
Steve
Sep 14, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this tremendously. It has my favorite things in it: space travel and time travel. The story is very good and the characters so well drawn that I felt that I knew them. Strange thing is that one morning I woke up way early and was thinking about this story as I woke -- I wonder if I was dreaming about it (I was tired all day).

I skipped ahead when I had read about 60% of the book to see if what I thought would happen did indeed happen and I was right in my guess and found some unexpected
Mary James
May 03, 2015 Mary James rated it really liked it
Hide within Time

The title caught my attention. I read the prologue and first chapter which gave me pause in the author's skill to weave a story to hook me as the reader. However, by Chapter Three I was captured and the story is a wild ride to meet humans from our past, convince them we are there to help in order to protect our future as a species.
Esther Byrt
Aug 04, 2016 Esther Byrt rated it it was ok
While the idea behind this story was great it fell short for me. It was written so that the reader got into the head of every character that was introduced, hero or villain. That left no suspense at all for the plot line. And while there were occasional set backs the whole thing was resolved too easily. Add in numerous typos and grammatical errors and I'll pass on any future books.
Shorel Kleinert
Dec 21, 2014 Shorel Kleinert rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, fiction
I rather enjoyed this variation of "A connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court." Fun SF read. Thankfully the language was minimal with just a couple parts of sex that were borderline TMI. Though thankfully those parts served the storyline rather than just thrown in.
Bubbajdf
Bubbajdf rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Harold Murray
Harold Murray rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Shawn West
Shawn West rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Victoria Trout
Victoria Trout rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Rick Lunau
Rick Lunau rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2014
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Scott Sammons
Scott Sammons rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Christy Dunning
Christy Dunning rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Apolinar Perdomo
Apolinar Perdomo rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
S Robert
S Robert rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2016
Mike Berry
Mike Berry rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Amy Harvey
Amy Harvey rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Raymond Mervyn Hines
Raymond Mervyn Hines rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Marvin
Marvin rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap 349} - The Temporal Knights by Richard D. Parker 19 52 Nov 02, 2014 09:13AM
Amazon Kindle: New Release 1 11 Apr 11, 2013 06:23PM
  • The WICK Omnibus Edition
  • Paradox
  • One Red Thread
  • Blood Soaked and Contagious (Blood Soaked #1)
  • Extermination Day (Extermination Day, #1)
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Centurion: Mark's Gospel as a Thriller
  • Ametsapolis Rising
  • Story Time (Story Time, #1)
  • Below the Salt
  • The Lead Cloak (The Lattice Trilogy, #1)
  • The Passenger (Surviving the Dead, #3.5)
  • The Army of Light (Kestrel Saga, #1)
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • The Blackout
  • Het grote spel
  • The Pyramid Builders (Lens of Time, #1)
  • The Ruins Of Mars (The Ruins of Mars, #1)
Richard D. Parker is the independent author of The Temple Islands Series, a four part romp through a parallel universe which intersects with our own. He fell in love with reading at an early age, devouring the likes of Robert A. Heinlein and Edgar Rice Burroughs and has been hooked on books ever since. He currently lives in St. Louis Missouri with his wife Kathy, his daughter Alex, their cat ...more
More about Richard D. Parker...