The Hidden History of Women's Ordination: Female Clergy in the Medieval West

The Hidden History of Women's Ordination: Female Clergy in the Medieval West

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The Roman Catholic leadership still refuses to ordain women officially or even to recognize that women are capable of ordination. But is the widely held assumption that women have always been excluded from such roles historically accurate?
In the early centuries of Christianity, ordination was the process and the ceremony by which one moved to any new ministry (ordo) in th...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published October 31st 2007)

Siria
From the age of 5 to 16, I was educated by nuns of the Brigidine Order—an order founded in the memory of St Brigid of Kildare. A large section of our religious education revolved around learning stories of her life and deeds—yet in more than a decade of sitting in classrooms universally adorned with St Brigid's crosses, we were never once told that one of Brigid's biographies included a story that she had once been ordained a bishop. It was a story which we were not supposed to hear—much like th...more
Meg
I felt like reading some medieval history and this hit the spot. Macy makes a compelling argument that it wasn't merely the involvement of women in ministry that was altered, but also the definition and concept of ordination. Great stuff--Heloise and Abelard charging in with a late defense and a thorough reminder of why I despise Aquinas (I can't believe I'd forgotten) among other things (Brigid was ordained a bishop?!)--and I only wish I had enough Latin to truly enjoy the end notes.
Радостин Марчев
Това е първата книга, на която давам оценка пълно 5.
Причината е не само (и дори не толкова) в подбора и излаганмето на историческите доказателства, макар че това е направено много добре, а най-вече в тяхната оценка, в критериите за нея и в подчертаването на опасността от анахронизми - в случая да се чете историята през съвременните определения за "ръкополагане" и "свещенство."
Kent
Kent added it
Mar 07, 2014
Danielle Flores
Danielle Flores marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Andre Mfitumukiza
Andre Mfitumukiza marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Bishop
Bishop marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Malik
Malik marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Elisha Wadick
Elisha Wadick marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Eric Daryl
Eric Daryl marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 09, 2013
Will Hocker
Will Hocker marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Ann Solomon
Ann Solomon marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
Courtney Latiolais
Courtney Latiolais marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Linda Bolls
Linda Bolls marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2012
Leanna
Leanna marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2012
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2012
Mars
Mars is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2012
Mylissa
Mylissa marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2012
The Banquet's Wisdom: A Short History of the Theologies of the Lord's Supper Women Deacons: Past, Present, Future The Theologies Of The Eucharist In The Early Scholastic Period Treasures from the Storeroom: Medieval Religion and the Eucharist Theology and the New Histories