Start by marking “Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate” as Want to Read:
Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate

Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate

Pirate Pete is in search of a crew for his new ship. He needs one that not only acts like a pirate but talks like a pirate. He interviews several applicants only to find they don't talk right!
Published September 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate

Ericka Clou
This is the first book James took out from his school library on his own! Pirate Pete is dissatisfied because all the pirates he interviews speak properly and use impressive vocabulary. As a parent, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Probably above a Kindergartener's understanding but James seemed to basically get it after lots of explanations.
Jessica Bingham
Jul 20, 2013 Jessica Bingham rated it it was amazing
Great book for "Pirate" Storytime. Pirate Pete is looking for a crew. They have to be dirty, fierce, have a hook and peg leg, brave, love treasure, know how to load a cannon and fire it. But most importantly, they have to "talk like a pirate." He comes across many candidates, they all look/smell promising until they open their mouths to speak. One by one they have to walk the plank. In the end Pirate Pete comes to realize that the perfect person for his crew is his trusty Parrot.
Heather Gunnell
Jul 13, 2016 Heather Gunnell rated it really liked it
This would make a great book for a "Talk like a Pirate Day" storytime.
Oct 12, 2016 James rated it really liked it
Spoiler alert: "Pirate Pete only has one crew and that was the parrot." - James
Steve Holden
Sep 20, 2016 Steve Holden rated it really liked it
I love celebrating "Talk Like a Pirate Day" with my class, and this has become a perfect, silly companion for on of my activities. The Pirate Pete series is fun, and I recommend all for such a day or for a primary classroom, but this one makes for an especially fun read aloud. Of course, you need to be able to deliver with a good pirate voice!
Mar 15, 2013 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fantastic read-aloud story that had the whole family in stitches. I've also used this picture book to illustrate the concept of Voice to creative writing students.

Beautiful, bright illustrations, to boot.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Nov 03, 2008 Lisa (Bookworm Lisa) rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this with my son in kindergarten. Pirate Pete wants a crew. His one stipulation is that they have to talk like a pirate. Four applicants for the job show up, but none can talk like a pirate, so they must walk the plank. It's a funny read.
Sep 03, 2009 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book to my little scurvy dogs ;). The first time I read it I laughed so much I thought we were going to need to stop for a bathroom break. Even now I still giggle (and we've had it since last November).
Sep 03, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book has rapidly become a favorite in our house. My son requests it more than any other. Even I really enjoy reading it & hope to add it to our library some day. I think my boy gets a kick out of me using different voices for the pirate, parrot, and rascals. A very fun book!
Dec 07, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
This would be a fun book to recommend to a student who really enjoys pirates. It would also be fun to learn some pirate vocabulary and write a text in pirate talk.
Apr 13, 2016 Julianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Favorite book for Pre-K - Grade 2 "Pirate" Story Times. Love reading it in my best pirate voice. I involve the children, they get to be the voice of the Parrot crying "Next!"
Aug 05, 2014 Kat rated it it was amazing
Pirate Pete is so funny and I found the story and illustrations in this book to be sparkling and enchanting.
Saw this while browsing at ye olde library. Very cute. I will be checking out the rest of the series.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
"pirate, diction, cannon, parrot, vocabulary, repetition, can't be crew if can't talk like a pirate"
Laura Fowler
Nov 05, 2010 Laura Fowler rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun read, and the kind that you don't mind reading three times in a row.
Great picture book.
Kaylee Gallup
I read this book to the BYU preschoolers which they loved because their dramatic play that week was a pirate ship so it really helped expand their pirate imaginations.
Doirean Heldt
Doirean Heldt rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2015
Nancy Turner Christy
Nancy Turner Christy rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Christian rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2008
Mar 20, 2008 Greta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Kind of funny. I love the language used by the want-to-be pirates.
Jedi Jones Prime
Jedi Jones Prime rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Dec 20, 2009 Pauline rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Just as enjoyable as the original "Pirate Pete"...Robby loved that we found this at the library!
Oct 19, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: collin
Collin loved this book.
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Tim Vandenberg
Mar 20, 2014 Tim Vandenberg rated it it was amazing
One of the best books for practicing your pirate-ally dialect.

Very recommended.
Tricia rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Annamarie Carlson
Annamarie Carlson rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Craig Brookes
Craig Brookes rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Alex rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2013
V.R. rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2009
  • Dino-Hockey
  • The Night Pirates
  • Meerkat Mail
  • Curious George Goes to an Ice Cream Shop
Kim Kennedy has collaborated on a number of popular picture books with her brother, Doug, including Pirate Pete (which Booklist called “appealing, richly colored”), Pirate Pete’s Giant Adventure, Pirate Pete’s Talk Like a Pirate, and Hee-Haw-Dini and the Great Zambini. She lives in Monroe, Louisiana.
More about Kim Kennedy...