Start by marking “Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate” as Want to Read:
Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate

Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Popular Pete is Perfect for Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Following the success of Pirate Pete and Pirate Pete's Giant Adventure comes a new book by the celebrated brother-and-sister team of Doug and Kim Kennedy. In this new adventure, Pete has a wonderful new ship, but no crew. But not just any crew will do. As Pete explains:

Ye gots to be stubborn and mighty cranky,
Ye gots to
Published September 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate

Jessica Bingham
Great book for "Pirate" Storytime. Pirate Pete is looking for a crew. They have to be dirty, fierce, have a hook and peg leg, brave, love treasure, know how to load a cannon and fire it. But most importantly, they have to "talk like a pirate." He comes across many candidates, they all look/smell promising until they open their mouths to speak. One by one they have to walk the plank. In the end Pirate Pete comes to realize that the perfect person for his crew is his trusty Parrot.
Heather M. Riley
This would make a great book for a "Talk like a Pirate Day" storytime.
Kat
Pirate Pete is so funny and I found the story and illustrations in this book to be sparkling and enchanting.
Tim Vandenberg
One of the best books for practicing your pirate-ally dialect.

Very recommended.
Bryce
3.5 rounding up.
Jessica
This book has rapidly become a favorite in our house. My son requests it more than any other. Even I really enjoy reading it & hope to add it to our library some day. I think my boy gets a kick out of me using different voices for the pirate, parrot, and rascals. A very fun book!
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I just finished reading this with my son in kindergarten. Pirate Pete wants a crew. His one stipulation is that they have to talk like a pirate. Four applicants for the job show up, but none can talk like a pirate, so they must walk the plank. It's a funny read.
Natalie
I love reading this book to my little scurvy dogs ;). The first time I read it I laughed so much I thought we were going to need to stop for a bathroom break. Even now I still giggle (and we've had it since last November).
Caitlin
An absolutely fantastic read-aloud story that had the whole family in stitches. I've also used this picture book to illustrate the concept of Voice to creative writing students.

Beautiful, bright illustrations, to boot.
Kaylee Gallup
I read this book to the BYU preschoolers which they loved because their dramatic play that week was a pirate ship so it really helped expand their pirate imaginations.
Jamie
This would be a fun book to recommend to a student who really enjoys pirates. It would also be fun to learn some pirate vocabulary and write a text in pirate talk.
Laura Fowler
This is a really fun read, and the kind that you don't mind reading three times in a row.
Great picture book.
Michelle
Saw this while browsing at ye olde library. Very cute. I will be checking out the rest of the series.
Tina
"pirate, diction, cannon, parrot, vocabulary, repetition, can't be crew if can't talk like a pirate"
Pauline
Just as enjoyable as the original "Pirate Pete"...Robby loved that we found this at the library!
Greta
Kind of funny. I love the language used by the want-to-be pirates.
Lea
This is my son's favorite book. We read this at least 2 times week.
Eugenia
You can play with voices for this book. The kids had fun.
Lynn
Young pirate fans will enjoy this book.
Pyewacket
Fantastic read-aloud!
Christy
Collin loved this book.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Annamarie Carlson
Annamarie Carlson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kim Kennedy has collaborated on a number of popular picture books with her brother, Doug, including Pirate Pete (which Booklist called “appealing, richly colored”), Pirate Pete’s Giant Adventure, Pirate Pete’s Talk Like a Pirate, and Hee-Haw-Dini and the Great Zambini. She lives in Monroe, Louisiana.
More about Kim Kennedy...
Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates Pirate Pete Pirate Pete's Giant Adventure Frankenfrog Mr. Bumble