Start by marking “50 Facts That Should Change The World” as Want to Read:
50 Facts That Should Change The World

50 Facts That Should Change The World

From the inequalities and absurdities of the so-called developed West to the vast scale of suffering wreaked by war, famine and AIDS in developing countries, this text paints a picture of shocking contrasts. Each fact from this eclectic range is followed by explanation and analysis.
Published August 2nd 2007 by Icon Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 50 Facts That Should Change The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Facts That Should Change The World

Paul Bryant
This book really taught me a few things. It was scary the stuff I didn't know. For instance : 25% of lemons are sentient. That should change the world right there or at least the world of bartending. Here's another one : over 40 recipes die out every day, as the last person to cook them forgets how, or is shot whilst cooking. Fact : all official FIFA footballs are made from the toughened skins of the anaconda, which is the second most endangered snake in all of Uruguay. It was facts like this wh ...more
Ismail Guesmi
عندما قرأته قلت أنه كتاب رائع.. قرأت ترجمته باللغة العربية عام 2006
ولكن الحقيقة أنه لم يتحدث عن كل المشاكل الحقيقية التي ينبغي تغييرها
هناك مشاكل أكبر خصوصا منها الأخلاقية والسياسية والإنسانية بعيدا عن التوجيهات الإعلامية والسياسية لمفهوم الإنسانية..
مثلا اضطهاد الشواذ ليس مشكلة ولكن الشواذ هم المشكلة وأحد مصادر الإيدز الذي تعالجه الكاتبة كمشكلة.. وأين الحديث عن الإنسانية في فلسطين والعراق، والاضطهاد هناك..
هناك أشياء كثيرة أخرى.
Icon Books
Nov 17, 2011 Icon Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Global warming already kills 150,000 people every year
There are 44 million child labourers in India
Brazil has more Avon ladies than members of its armed services

In this new edition of her bestseller, Jessica Williams tests the temperature of our world and diagnoses a malaise with some shocking symptoms.

Get the facts but also the human side of the story on the world?s hunger, poverty, material and emotional deprivation; its human rights abuses and unimaginable wealth; the unstoppable rise of c
Paul
Dec 01, 2007 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is another example of the bad job done by the mainstream media in informing Americans about the state of the world. This book presents a number of facts, with accompanying essays, that will not be covered on the evening news.

In 2002, more than 80 percent of the world’s executions took place in just three countries, China, Iran and America. Black men born in the US stand a one in three chance of going to jail, while white men have a one in seventeen chance of going to jail. Because of the As
Bill Michaud
Nov 22, 2007 Bill Michaud rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Having just finished this book, I realized that the world is indeed a messed up place.

I believe a potential criticism to this book is that it is politically charged. Sure, maybe it is, but the issues are still there. Ms. Williams has her own view on the world and how to solve it, if you don't agree, excellent. That's what this book is intended for, to put problems out there, engage people, and come up with a solution.

I personally am not up to snuff as much as I would like to be for world issues
Nicole
Oct 12, 2007 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's states the obvious w/o giving solutions
Raj Dhaliwal
Dec 02, 2016 Raj Dhaliwal rated it really liked it
** 4.5 Stars **

Very impactful and amazing collection of facts/stories. I read this book for an anthropology class, and I remember re-reading many of the chapters for many years after I took the class. I do not have the book anymore, but it changed the way that I view the world around me.
CuteBadger
It took me a long time to read this book, but I think that's fine. It's not the kind of book you can read at one sitting for a couple of reasons. The first is that there's just so much information in it. The second is that you have to allow time to reflect on what you're reading and your reaction to it.

As the title would suggest, the book is composed of 50 chapters each containing a single fact as a headline which is then explored in more depth during the chapter. Some of the chapters are less s
Farhan Lalji
Think the description on good reads is of the wrong book. The book I read left me unfulfilled. Lot's of numbers, but if you consider yourself a worldly liberal person you already know that there too many guns in the world, that farm subsidies in the west are not helping developing world farmers, that big coffee shops squeeze the bean producers. It might change your behaviour a bit (have since sworn off Starbucks) but the actions are pretty limited - to write your local politician and avoid packa ...more
shay
Mar 30, 2008 shay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100books08, activism
the stats in this book were really overwhelming, but good to know. it's a bit outdated as it was published in 2003, and i would really like to see this information with current figures. i have a feeling it would be even more depressing. but it was still a good book and covered a wide range of issues facing the world. i would highly recommend it.
Mark
Mar 13, 2013 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting in parts, tedious in others. Most of the facts present a depressing picture of the modern world - such as every cow in the EU receiving more in subsidies each day than the average African lives on. Thought-provoking and worth a read.
Kerry
Nov 11, 2008 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008atoz
I learned the world is a cruel and strange place from the facts listed in this book. I'm doubly glad to be American, even if sometimes American means arrogant and one of the third largest executioners of citizens (Chine and Iraq are the other two, not good neighbors).
Tanvir Muntasim
Aug 08, 2011 Tanvir Muntasim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Facts that would make you think and take a different look a the world you live in . Both impassioned and well researched. Essential for any good and conscious citizen.
Steven
Reading these facts juxtaposed together can be surprising, frustrating, fascinating, and occasionally appalling. I wonder what the second edition brings to light.
Andrew Mcneill
Lots of interesting facts, well written. But it got a bit tedious after a while. Maybe that's just me.
Ellen
Aug 15, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From domestic violence in Russia to millions of missing in China, take a tour of the world and share William's outrage that the acknowledged does not translate to action.
Emily January
Emily January rated it did not like it
Aug 10, 2011
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Yas
Yas rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Rachel Grondin
Rachel Grondin rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Hanan
Hanan rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Barbara Rackstraw
Barbara Rackstraw rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2014
Gary  Mckenzie
Gary Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2011
Beccy
Beccy rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Michael Reid
Michael Reid rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2014
RICHARD O GARRATT
RICHARD O GARRATT rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Peze
Peze rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2009
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2007
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Antony Barry
Antony Barry rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
  • Shivering Sands: Seven Years of Stories, Drinking and the World
  • The Best American Essays 2004
  • Essentials of International Relations
  • The New York Times Book of Mathematics: More Than 100 Years of Writing by the Numbers
  • The World's Greatest Idea: The Fifty Greatest Ideas That Have Changed Humanity
  • Self-Ownership, Freedom, and Equality