Start by marking “Mas Joven Cada Ano/ Younger Next Year:: Una Guia Para Permanecer Joven Mas Alla De Los 80 / a Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,659 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
Durante millones de años de evolución, el organismo ha desarrollado un sistema de mensajes químicos que le indican si debe seguir el camino del crecimiento o el de la decadencia. Si queremos permanecer jóvenes hasta más allá de los 80, debemos aprender a controlar estos mensajes, potenciando los de crecimiento y evitando los de decadencia. Y esto es lo que nos enseña este ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Editorial Sirio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mas Joven Cada Ano/ Younger Next Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mas Joven Cada Ano/ Younger Next Year

Bob Collins
Apr 30, 2011 Bob Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific book. By a (then) 70 year old and his doctor. Really motivated me to get moving and start exercising again. I did and I am. What the doctor said that had most impact to me: 70% + of the affects of old age are voluntary! They can be mitigated by lifestyle changes.

I decided I didn't want to sign up for the negative effects of getting older, so I've made the changes, loss massive amounts of weight, improved my eating habits and feel wonderful.

The thing that Chris said that had the biggest
CX Dillhunt
Reluctantly, I give this 3 stars; I hated reading it, and much is very poorly written & poorly presented from the large type to the rambling, repetitious chapters; I think Chris Crowley is pompous, sexist (read pig trying to hard at "guy talk"), arrogant & full of hot air, but perhaps just a great foil for Harry the MD; the research on the brain & cell deterioration is important...and a lot of the rest we've heard before...FOR THE GOOD PARTS EDITION: read Harry's Chap 18, "The Limbic ...more
Clif Hostetler
This book is co-authored by two men. Henry S. Lodge, M.D. provides the level headed, scientifically sound, commentary while the other co-author, Chris Crowley, spouts out the "mano-e-mano" pep-talk targeted at the reader's male ego. I say male ego because this book is specifically aimed at men who are 50 or over contemplating retirement, growing old, and dying.

The promise of this book is that if the male reader gets with the program they can live, as indicated by the book's subtitle, "Like 50 U
Walt
Nov 04, 2011 Walt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend (who unbeknownst to me hadn't read it) mentioned this book, I like to see what my friends are up to, so I read it. Wow, I was ready (as the jacket blurb warns), this book has changed my life. The wisdom of this book can be summed up as follows:
1. Engage in daily demanding physical activity-tell your body to grow. 2. Don't engage in daily demanding physical activity-tell your body to decay. 3. Choose.
You'll notice that I didn't use the word exercise here, that was on purpose because th
Elle Saverini
Nov 04, 2011 Elle Saverini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give this book to every man you care about. Period.

Already confirms the way I've lived most of my life, and I look at least ten if not fifteen yrs younger than I am; (depends upon pt of reference)
The best news is that even joint pain improves if one doesn't shy away from the challenge of exercise. Just bought my new Nikes today. Funny, but I keep hearing a voice in my head chanting, "10K, 10K, 10K..." (translation: a 10 kilometer footrace;)

PS: I was 57 in August. Foto taken just 2 yrs ago in Gr
Brian Morton
Jul 09, 2012 Brian Morton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book was meant for 50plus retirees, it shared valuable information on how you should live in order to ebb the incoming tide of aging. Basically it said there are four musts to staying young. 1. Exercise (at least 4 days of cardio, 2 days of weights a week)
2. Don't eat things you know you shouldn't (fast food, trans fats, refined starches,etc)
3. Be a part of a social group.
4. Find something you are passionate about and do it. (unless it is binge drinking)

The book delved into the scien
Jon Spoelstra
Dec 19, 2009 Jon Spoelstra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
This is probably the most important book I've read in the lasts decade. It talks plain sense on how to be younger next year. I adopted many of their suggestions with terrific results. I've also handed out this book to geezer friends of mine so that they won't give up golf because of getting old (I need their money). You can get it in paper or on Amazon Kindle. There's a separate edition for men and women. Buy it now so that you can have years reading all the fun books out there. www.geezer-lit.c ...more
Jill
Feb 17, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at the library without realizing that it is specifically directed at men; however the advice is surely universal. I just noticed that there is a version directed at women, so I will be checking that one out next.

As an aging baby boomer who is seeing the gradual decline of "middle age" (an age which I'm sure now lasts until 70), I'm interested in learning more about what I can do to halt the inevitable decline. By now, we've all watched our parents, aunts and uncles die off
Brad Lyerla
You don't need to read this. All you need to know is that there is compelling science showing that most of us can maintain the equivalent health and fitness of a 50 year old until we are 80 by exercising, eating better, having sex and being happy. The surprise is that an 80 year old can be every bit as fit as a 50 year old. But the authors swear it's true and cite a lot of data to support the assertion. One other surprise might be that you have to work out six days a week. Hard. And at least two ...more
Yodamom
Healthy advice, nothing we don't all know eat right exercise, make smart choices, don't get stale
T.S.
Jan 07, 2010 T.S. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gift from my boss; otherwise, it would not be something I would read. That being said, I ended up being quite interested in the scientific evidence behind the methodology. Fortunately, the doctor provides this information. The other author is whack and tries to make his point through anecdotes and jokes. He really dragged the book down to one star for me and, ultimately, I ended up skipping the chapters he wrote, or for which he was credited.
Tony
Dec 24, 2009 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at the recommendation of some of my fit Sigma Chi friends. So I borrowed a well used copy from our trainer at FIT in Farmington, Allen.

The book is written by an MD and one of his patients, an older gentleman in his 70's who has changed his lifestyle by doing, among other things, vigorous exercise six days a week.

The premise of the book is that our bodies are constantly either growing or decaying, even as we get into our 70's and beyond. And we can either be healthy and active in
Andy
Aug 14, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished "Younger Next Year" and found the information to be practical and knowledge based. Henry's rules are summed up neatly, in the appendix, as

1) Exercise six days as week for the rest of your life.
2) Do serious aerobic exercise four days a week for the rest of your life.
3) Do serious strength training, with weights, two days a week for the rest of your life.
4) Spend less than you make.
5) Quit eating crap.
6) Care.
7) Connect and Commit.

I have heard the rules in different forms and from
Jeff Kelleher
Feb 01, 2013 Jeff Kelleher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading even if you think you know it all.

There are a thousand get-and-stay-younger books. Their core advice is mostly the same: don't smoke, exercise, eat right, be happy and engaged. The differences are in the target audience, the tone of the cheerleading, and the details.

Here, the target audience is men in their 50s and up. The cheerleading tone is "between us guys." The rest of the core advice is also here, but there are some major departures in the details.

First, exercise is held to b
Norm
Jul 16, 2014 Norm rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found a lot to like in this book, but I also have a problem with some its assertions, especially about exercise.

On the positive side, I like the dual approach the authors take, alternating between Chris's lively - and often funny - pep-talks and Harry's cool presentation of the science supporting their recommendations. Both authors come across as genuinely interested in coaxing and cajoling the reader into taking positive action to improve his health (the book is geared mainly toward men in t
Derek Grzelewski
Jan 08, 2013 Derek Grzelewski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is rare to write about a book years after it was originally published unless it is one that changed lives for better and for good. Three years ago a friend gave me a copy of Younger Next Year with a note “you must read this.” It turned out I was to be just one in the succession of the book’s owners because, after reading, I too passed it on to another close friend. My note was a bit longer: “you must read it, especially now that you’ve turned 50.”

Younger Next Year is written as a dialogue be
Daryl Nash
Sep 12, 2012 Daryl Nash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The target audience for this book are men 60-70, newly or soon to be retired, preferably from an executive or professional job. It is so baby boomer it hurts. Still, even though I'm outside the demographic, I found a few useful if not earthshattering tips in there. And Chris Crowley, the retired lawyer, has a voice that grates on my nerves often (though I'd somehow managed to find it almost endearing by the end). So how does it rate four stars? Well, it's smooth reading, so there's a lot to be s ...more
Eden
Jan 02, 2011 Eden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Nathan Schwartz
Oct 28, 2014 Nathan Schwartz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bottom line: exercise. And don’t eat crap.

All health books either say the same thing (because we all know what we need to do really) or else say something crazy (possibly entertaining, but probably not worth the time). So you should probably judge them on how motivational they are, and this one is pretty good.
Linda
Jan 09, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the review of this book in the WSJ and was intrigued. Since reading the book, I've recommended it to many friends and purchased it for many family members. The clock is ticking - grab an hour of exercise, stop eating junk and find something to CARE about...every day. This book makes it easy to learn the physical and medical reasons why Harry's rules make a difference. Chris makes it fun to see the results of one patient taking his advice.

Last week a 92 year old woman finished the Hawaii M
Doug Saunders
Typical advice. Exercise regularly and eat properly. I liked the perspective of growing or decaying.
Glennie
My exercise coach loaned me his copy to read. Really enjoying it so far. It is very motivating as far as exercise is concerned. Best quote so far: "In twenty years, failure to exercise six days a week will seem as self-destructive as smoking two packs of cigarettes a day. Two packs a day was normal when I was a kid. They finally moved that road and we're going to move this one." SIX days a week??? Is it possible? I'm making it 3 days a week now, in addition to the dog walks. Reading on,,,,

Good b
Jkhickel
Mar 28, 2015 Jkhickel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You've heard of Humble Brags, statements that are designed to seem humble but are really brags-in-disguise? (E.g., "I may have won three Academy Awards, but you're the stars here tonight.") This book should be subtitled "Chris Crowley's Book of Humble Brags."

I lost count of the humble brags after a while. "I've gotten so old that the women no longer flock all over me when I walk into a room the way they used to when I was young and virile." "I had trouble adjusting to retirement, because I was s
Max Evans
Oct 04, 2014 Max Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended this book by a guy who has lost 75 pounds. I was a little scared to ask him how he's lost so much weight because the last time he lost weight he'd had cancer. But this time not.

I really liked this book. The book was written by two people Chris Crowly a retired lawyer and Henry S. Lodge MD. It's a book about staying healthy past 50. Nothing in this book is really new but it's presented in a very amuzing manner, although Chris uses some profanity that's not necessary but it fits
Al Macy
I read this book when I was 55 and followed it religiously for three years. I exercised vigorously six days per week.

However, I later decided that six days per week were simply too many, and didn't give my body enough rest time in between. There were some nights when I was extremely tired, and I suspect that was due to the lack of recover time.

Also, although the authors understood the problems of high-carbohydrate meals, I don't think they took this far enough.

So now I exercise four days a week,
Howard
Feb 21, 2014 Howard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
- I did benefit by Dr's Henry's explanation of the 'why' our metabolism and other functions impact us the way they do
- I often have to hear something two or three times before it really gets traction with me but there did seem to be a lot of repetition of the same points
- I suspect that the primary target audience is those who need to be convinced that healthy eating and regular exercise are important, and who need to understand the benefits/incentives of that.
- The book did not meet the definit
Craig
Feb 28, 2016 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book made some great points; but on looking back, much of the "support" and "research" seems mostly anecdotal. Personally, I am already sold on the concept of "exercise as a cure-all" so I suppose I was easily drawn in by the authors. I liked how "readable" the text was, but again felt that one person's story about some hiking and ski trips doesn't support a reduction of sickness and disease by 70% for everyone.

I really enjoy exercise, but their suggestion about checking a heart rate monito
Alyssa
Jan 31, 2016 Alyssa marked it as meant-to-read-but-didnt  ·  review of another edition
I double-failed with this one. I thought the book was geared to anyone, regardless of current age, but when I actually got the book in my hands, it turned out to have an audience of late middle age to aging in mind (though I imagine many of the tips do apply to anybody). Looked at the subtitle: "A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond." Okay, that one was on me for not reading.

Second fail: The book is geared to men. This one is NOT on me, since nothing in the title alludes to that!
Mike Laughlin
Apr 04, 2012 Mike Laughlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly useful. Authors explain the "why" of key concepts, and I need that to buy-in. Fun, entertaining read. Complex ideas are clearly explained by going up and down the cognition scale. (ie. scientific explanations, but with "plain talk" discussions and real-life examples.) I pull it out and reread ... as there's a lot of good stuff, here. More than can be digested in one read.
Brent
May 09, 2009 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is to aging what "Amish Grace" is to forgiveness. I need to reread this book every 3 to 4 years to make sure that I stay on track as far as exercising, diet, strenght training and even social connection. Everyone over 50 needs to read this book. A GREAT book.
life after 50 2 11 Nov 08, 2013 04:13PM
Younger Next Year 1 8 May 10, 2009 10:19AM
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • Out There: A Story of Ultra Recovery
  • Food--Your Miracle Medicine
  • Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health--in Just Weeks!
  • Fit2Fat2Fit
  • Finding Common Ground: How to Communicate with those Outside the Christian Community...While We  Still Can.
  • The Longevity Project: Surprising Discoveries for Health and Long Life from the Landmark Eight-Decade S tudy
  • The 28 Days Lighter Diet: Your Monthly Plan to Lose Weight, End PMS, and Achieve Physical and Emotional Wellness
  • Anticancer: prévenir et lutter avec nos défenses naturelles
  • A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves
  • Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You--And Your Waistline--And Drop the Weight for Good
  • Passages in Caregiving: Turning Chaos into Confidence
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • Healing the Gerson Way: Defeating Cancer and Other Chronic Diseases
  • Parenting the QBQ Way: How to be an Outstanding Parent and Raise Great Kids Using the Power of Personal Accountability
  • Unleash!: Breaking Free from Normalcy
  • Let Go
  • So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance

“optimism. Lean, fit, happy, optimistic, energetic, brimming with vim and vigor: these” 1 likes
“It goes on and on. Studies showing that the lonely are twice as likely to have ulcers. Studies showing that unmarried men are two or even three times as likely to die of heart attacks as their married brethren. One of the great questions, it turns out is: Does your wife show you her love? If the answer is yes, you’re in much better shape. So tell your partner you love her. Ask her to give you a pat, and you give her one. You both need it. You show me yours, I’ll show you mine.” 0 likes