Start by marking “I Quit Sugar for Life” as Want to Read:
I Quit Sugar for Life

I Quit Sugar for Life

The bestselling guide to going sugar-free - for good - from the author of I Quit Sugar.

Quitting sugar is not a diet. Quitting sugar is a way of living without processed food and eating what our grandparents used to before the crappy food and the modern diseases.

With her bestselling book, I Quit Sugar , Sarah Wilson helped hundreds of thousands of Australians to kick the
Published March 1st 2014 by Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about I Quit Sugar for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Quit Sugar for Life

Catherine Furfaro
Jan 08, 2016 Catherine Furfaro rated it really liked it
It's not that I want to cut sugar out of my diet completely, but I do want to cut back on it.
Sugar is addictive and a lot of it isn't healthy for you.
I found this book easy to follow, and I especially loved the recipes. Actually the main reason I got this one was because of the recipes.
Muphyn
Overall, a great introduction on how to make the switch to a low-sugar lifestyle. Lots of recipes I want to try out. The design is fabulous.

There were a couple of things that jarred though: Wilson didn't include any references for her health statistics and arguments on how sugar harms us (the researcher in me was not impressed); and her whole point about less exercising and living gently... hm, well, yes, maybe, take it or leave it. She's also got some weird thinking about veganism, which would
Kyley
Jul 10, 2015 Kyley rated it did not like it
The author's ludicrous comments regarding veganism have ensured I never read another book by this woman. She has lost all credibility in my eyes. A pity she didn't make the dumb comments in her first book then I wouldn't have wasted my time on this piece of crap.
Linda Beldava
3 zvaigznes ir labi.
Ķēros pie šīs grāmatas ar cerībām atrast ko vairāk par "cukurs ir slikts, to nevajag ēst". Mazliet vairāk arī bija. Vai var vēl vairāk? Noteikti. Bet, vai vajag grāmatu piebāzt ar pētījumiem? Droši vien, ka nē. Ir dotas norādes uz avotiem, kur meklēt padziļinātu informāciju, un receptes, lai dzīvotu bezcukura dzīvi pēc iespējas garšīgāk. Vairākas receptes atzīmēju, pie kurām vērts atgriezties un izmēģināt.
4 un 8 nedēļu programmas cukura atmešanai man nešķita saistošas, daļē
Jess
Aug 29, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
definitely the ideal, well descripbed. i feel ahead by being paleo... and this book has encouraged me to hunt out the last drops of fructose in my life. i'm just not sure if i can believe cutting out alcohol is a good idea.
maggie
Aug 06, 2015 maggie rated it really liked it
Good message but tricky to read on my Kindle with those greyed out box sections. I like the author's upbeat style as she delivers the hard truth. Very creative recipes.
Natalie
Oct 09, 2016 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up from the Library (before buying it) and I found it really interesting and a real eye opener on what Sugar can do to you and that it's more addictive then Heroine!

The book is full of facts and great recipes though you do need to prep certain ingredients or recipe items in advance in readiness for other dishes. At first I did think this would be a faff and that I wouldn't have time and that some of the ingredients can be pricy, though I was determined to have a go at some the
Alison
Dec 30, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it
Sarah’s book and philosophy is in line with many who are on the ‘quit sugar’ idea, where eating healthy consists of whole foods and staying away from the processed food section of the supermarket. She’s also into Ayurveda and ethical food practices. She also has a thing for jars. But hey, who’s perfect? Some interesting recipes and her 9 step code for wellness is simple, easy to understand with snippets of interesting science without boring the reader to death. What I do like about this book is ...more
Kathy
Aug 01, 2015 Kathy rated it it was ok
In Sarah Wilson's follow up book we have more recipes to keep up the sugar free life as well as her wellness code of 9 principles and 4 week wellness program with menu plans.

I really love the layout of her books with the sketches, colours, vibrant photos and little tips here and there. However, I'm not sold on this lifestyle change- was definitely curious from her first book but a few points really stood out from this book that I was not in tune with- including the ayurveda personalities, exerc
Philippa
May 01, 2014 Philippa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
Essential reading. Having been off sugar for nearly a year, this is a wonderful inspiring book with lots of ideas and motivation to keep this change for life. The deeper messages of sustainability, awareness, being a conscious consumer, kindness and community are all things the world needs more of. But more than that, everything she says is just common sense!! The recipes look amazing and can be easily converted to vegetarian or vegan options...apart from maybe the pulled pork! It's written in ...more
Aussie Jo
Mar 18, 2014 Aussie Jo rated it it was amazing
If it is all possible, this book is better than the first. In saying that you do need to read the first one before you get to this - to give you the full and complete experience and level of understanding. It all just makes sense to me and it supports good healthy food and habits. I honestly cannot recommend this enough the recipes in this are fantastic and actually some are exciting!
I have reviewed the first book so feel free to read that rather than me rehash the same words. I did fall off the
Samantha Lane
Jan 17, 2015 Samantha Lane rated it it was amazing
At first I thought there might be a bit too much to take in here, but then I realised that with a bit of patience and perseverance this is a really useful book. There's a good balance of information and recipes. If you don't mind that a good number of them require some preparation in advance (that's where the patience and perseverance come in) it offers a number of healthier alternatives to unhealthy foods like KFC, chocolate ice-cream and ginger beer (three of my favourites!) There are quick ...more
Sharon
Jan 07, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
I found this a great and practical Health/cookbook, informative and down to earth with recipes that are not so involved you give up at the third ingredient.Healthy food can be fun, and you feel so much better within yourself as well.

There are very user friendly chapters including shopping tips, meal plans, freezer ideas and my personal favorite, how to use those left overs and prevent food wastage.

I have been introduced to ingredients I have never used before, and feel confident that introducing
Suzie
Jul 08, 2016 Suzie rated it really liked it
I liked this more than the first book in terms of practical application, but I still feel like quitting sugar wasn't made as easy as she claims. Mostly because she uses a rather expensive sugar substitute and other very expensive things that aren't in the budget. And also because for me, quitting sugar means just having less "treats" and despite her saying so herself, it feels like half her recipes are for healthy treats, which make me crave the real things all the more. But overall a great ...more
Emma Coleman
Aug 03, 2015 Emma Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spotted this book in sainsburys and was intrigued... I bought it and still read it all the time. it's full of interesting facts and I haven't fully quit sugar but I always check the content and don't eat more than 5g of it in anything.. I have Also changed any added sugar to a sugar free sweetner and I'm hoping my next career would be a nutrition if so this book would have been the start of it : ) x
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I'm not ready to go sugar free (I'm happy to do it for a while, at times but not ready at all for a forever commitment). So even if you're looking to dip your toes in the sugar free waters this book offers plenty of handy insights and tips, and lots of nice recipes to try. We can all think about what we eat and try to eat a bit healthier.

Rosemary
May 12, 2014 Rosemary rated it really liked it
I am trying to quit sugar and when I succeed, shortly I feel better. I fall off the wagon every now and then! This book is a good read and encouraging, but the 'oh so clever' format is a real distraction. The background colours and print size make it hard to read. It could have been done much more simply and been a lot less expensive yet just as good at providing information. However, the recipes are good and her ideas for handling 'cravings' are great.
Jessica Gillies
Aug 05, 2016 Jessica Gillies rated it it was ok
Skimmed most of this. I like the basic jist of it, quit sugar because it's an addiction. I've seen this work for more than one person though I know it's also reallllllyy tough.Some of the recipes look really good (hello home-made fish and chips) but otherwise I think a lot of this isn't worth following at all. The recipes do make up a good chunk of the book, which got it this 2 star rating from me.
Emma Todd
May 30, 2014 Emma Todd rated it it was ok
Repetitive and impractical. Reminded me a lot of Gillian Mckeith back in the day. If you want to have a more informed outlook on the whole no sugar diet, and want an easier way to explore it (yes you can still have ready made meals from the supermarket!), then read David Gillespie's book Sweet Poison.
Lizzy
Feb 22, 2015 Lizzy rated it liked it
Loads of really interesting tips on to significantly reduce your sugar intake and other healthy tips. I liked the information on eating some fats with your vegetables to aid with absorption of minerals and lots of the recipes.

I don't think I will however manage to quit sugar, just hopefully reduce it a lot.
Clare
Jul 07, 2014 Clare rated it it was ok
Agreed with some of the ideas behind cutting out sugar but realistically, on a budget, the money required to start and maintain(not to mention the time involved in creating a lot of the recipes) the suggested recipes/sugar alternatives wouldn't allow itself to the majority of people. Seems very pie in the sky.
Catharine
Sep 09, 2014 Catharine rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book which has changed my attitudes and eating habits! Beautifully designed and illustrated. Sarah provides plenty of helpful information about why sugar is bad for us and what to eat for a healthier life - it's not just a recipe book!
Raili
Jan 11, 2016 Raili rated it really liked it
I found it an easy to read book. Very upbeat and positive all around. Many recipes, which is a bonus. I had already decided to cut back on the sugar in my diet before reading this book, so I guess I might be biased, but I liked it.
Shannon Steven
Nov 18, 2015 Shannon Steven rated it it was ok
Sort of enjoyed reading the book (its super engaging), tried a few things, but the lifestyle didn't really stick. didn't have too much backed by science stats... and some of the theories were a little crackpot!!
Bridget Frain
Jan 30, 2015 Bridget Frain rated it really liked it
I just love the scientific reasoning and creativity of this book. It leaves you with the knowledge to experiment with your own recipes to make them healthier. It accommodates the traveller, the young family and special occasions as well which is very useful.
Jo Draper
Apr 22, 2014 Jo Draper rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Inspired and motivated me whilst trying to quit sugar. After six weeks, I had lost 6.7kgs and 52.5cm overall from my body! Definitely not going back to the poisonous white stuff! Thank you Sarah Wilson! x
Su
Mar 05, 2016 Su added it
The start to a way of life, and there are programs to follow if you want to improve your health without sugar.
Jaq
Jul 02, 2014 Jaq rated it really liked it
This is now one of my all time favourite cookbooks - so delightful to delve into and find new recipes that are sugar free.....Loved it!!!!
Nathalie Meurens
Dec 22, 2014 Nathalie Meurens rated it it was amazing
I loved Sarah's approach to life and food, which focuses on eating real food and sustainability. As bonus, the recipes are delicious although some requires some trials and errors.
Elsie
Jan 01, 2015 Elsie rated it really liked it
This is a nice and easy read. I am glad there are more tips than ' you need to do this'. Happy to start a sugar free life as a 21 year old needing it!
  • Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Companion
  • Mary Berry Cooks
  • Sweet Poison, Why Sugar Makes Us Fat
  • The Art of Eating Well: Hemsley and Hemsley
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • Great British Bake Off: Big Book of Baking
  • Gather, the Art of Paleo Entertaining
  • The Happy Cookbook: 130 Wholefood Recipes for Health, Wellness, and a Little Extra Sparkle
  • Lean in 15: 15 minute meals and workouts to keep you lean and healthy
  • Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-Free Kids
  • Larousse Gastronomique
  • Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd
  • Maggie's Harvest
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • The New Low-Carb Diet Cookbook