Start by marking “Clutterfree with Kids” as Want to Read:
Clutterfree with Kids

Clutterfree with Kids

Children add joy, purpose, and meaning to our lives. They provide optimism, hope, and love. They bring smiles, laughter, and energy into our homes.

They also add clutter. As parents, balancing life and managing clutter may appear impossible—or at the very least, never-ending. But what if there was a better way to live?

Clutterfree with Kids offers a new perspective and fres
Paperback, 1, 197 pages
Published January 14th 2014 by Becoming Minimalist

To ask other readers questions about Clutterfree with Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clutterfree with Kids

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie KondōThe Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine JayZero Waste Home by Bea JohnsonSimplify by Joshua BeckerThrow Out Fifty Things by Gail Blanke
Minimalism
52 books — 26 voters
Home Comforts by Cheryl MendelsonSink Reflections by Marla CilleyOrganizing from the Inside Out by Julie MorgensternThe Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie KondōThe House that Cleans Itself by Mindy Starns Clark
Cleaning House
57 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Feb 16, 2014 Emily rated it did not like it
I am a minimalist. I believe that stuff can consume our time and resources in ways that we don't anticipate when we acquire them and I am constantly striving to reduce the amount of time and energy I spend on owning stuff.

I got this book because I read a great review of it online which included some quotes that were in line with my own philosophy about stuff and since I'm a new parent, I was hoping for some insight into how to both: live minimally with kids and the tsunami of stuff they require
Alison Brown
Mar 13, 2014 Alison Brown rated it liked it
Shelves: minimalism
This was a tough rating; I think it's a great book for parents who are unfamiliar with minimalism and how it could apply to their lives. I'm a parent who is familiar with minimalism and the author's blog (which I recommend) and was hoping for fewer generalizations about the merits of less and more in-depth specifics on the challenging reality of life and stuff with kids.
Bonnie
Jan 27, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Always looking for a more effective way to manage STUFF (especially wit 6 kids at my house), I started reading this expecting a typical organization how-to. What I got instead was essentially a guide to re-prioritizing yourself emotionally.
The author suggests that with our insane consumer-driven society, we focus SO much on earning, shopping for and managing possessions, we leave little room, time and money for the things of real significance (such as relationships and character development).
B
Lady Susan
Feb 17, 2015 Lady Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
I think this book is rather poorly titled. A better description would be: how to become minimalist even with having kids. The book expounds on the joys of owning less and gives helpful pointers. My only problem, is that it still treats objects as easily disposable. Just throw it away! Give it away! I wish it were a bit more non-consumer in that regard. It is still rather inspiring.
Bianca
May 04, 2016 Bianca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I expected more specific ideas related to the issues facing parents & the clutter from their kids. Instead I felt as if the book was an overview of minimalism & pursuing that in many avenues, not specifically thru managing children's clutter. Perhaps if the title were different I would not have been disappointed.
On the positive side, it was a quick & easy read & I do enjoy his writing style (I follow his blog).
Becky
Mar 26, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
This book was a lot about the philosophy behind minimalism and encouraging clutterfree THINKING more than the nuts and bolts of reducing kid related clutter (though there was some of that, too). I think someone who hasn't read much about minimalism would get a lot more out of this book than someone like myself who has read quite a lot about it already.

An interesting thought in chapter 4: that a lot of people contemplating minimalism start worrying right away about the hardest thing (family heirl
Vivian
Nov 06, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
There is no magic wand. The magic is in what happens by inviting less into your life and finding so much more.

The author introduces the reader to "minimalist living" via his own life-changing anecdote. Before reading this book I was unaware of his first book SIMPLIFY: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone De-clutter Their Home and Life. He also has a blog: Becoming Minimalist.

I was already on this journey of letting things go and acquiring less. Hence, what he shares was very welcome to me.

The boo
Penny McGill
May 21, 2014 Penny McGill rated it it was amazing
This is a surprisingly good book. I've heard read variations on this theme many times; where a character will say that 'any book with the word garden/cooking/hairstyle/decorating and I can't help but buy it' but for me it's any book that has the word 'clutter'. I am endlessly thinking that I'd like to improve our quality of life by lessening the clutter and would like it even more if I could get the kids involved. It sounds like a pie in the sky kind of thing and I hesitated before I began ...more
Kristin Boldon
May 05, 2015 Kristin Boldon rated it did not like it
After reading Marie Kondo's excellent, entertaining, and useful book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I wished for some specific strategies for American families, as Kondo's book focuses on people living alone in Japan. Becker's book is not what I hoped for, perhaps because I'm already committed to minimalizing in life, and I already espouse most of what he recommends. This book is a cheap, unattractive book, self-published with a stock photo cover, cheap paper, ugly font and typesetting. ...more
April
Jan 23, 2014 April rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book on organizing, you might be surprised that is book really isn’t it. Pleasantly surprised though, I PROMISE! Clutterfree with Kids, isn’t about buying more bins and shelves for your kids toys and hiding things away when you have guests. It’s about learning that owning less is better than organizing more, and joy in life isn’t found in owning more. A blogging minimalist, Joshua Becker helps you dive right in and let go.

What is minimalism? Everyday more and more peopl
Pam
Feb 24, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! This is *not* just another declutter / organise book. It's about putting anti consumerism / materialism theory into practice. I was half way there already, but this book has strengthened my resolve to pursue the simple, one income family life. I'm not going to launch us immediately into full scale minimalism but before I'd finished this book I'd cleared out 6 binbags and a box full of clutter in just a couple of hours, and it feels good!

I would add that the author can come across as a
April
Feb 28, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
I was terribly disappointed in Becker's first book, Simplify. I read this immediately after and this was the book I was hoping for with his first one. This book is not busting with organizational tips, tricks, or products. It's more for the person that wants to get to the root of the problem - the mindset of decluttering. I found it very motivational in that sense and as a result, I'm grateful I read it.
Cornelia
Feb 03, 2015 Cornelia rated it really liked it
Shelves: chaos-challenge
I liked it! But i took me ten days to read because I kept taking breaks to clean my home ;)
I've now got 12 bags of outgrown children's clothes that I will give away to charity... I'm going to clean a lot more. I will never completely become a minimalist, but he did make i sound pretty nice and achievable...
Jigna
Feb 07, 2014 Jigna rated it liked it
Strong on the philosophy side - why to become a minimalist and the benefits to living a simpler life. Very little on the practical side of decluttering.
Most of it is quite general rather than specifically about kids, so is useful to everyone. Plenty of inspiration and a quick read.
Brandy
Nov 07, 2016 Brandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since so many friends have asked my opinion of this book, I thought I should give it a review. I think it’s going to echo a lot of the reviews I read before purchasing.

The first part half of the book was basically a rehash of “The More of Less.” It’s always good to be reminded of the principles of minimalism and why it’s a good thing; however, not if I’ve just finished the book from which he practically plagiarized himself. I wish I could have gotten this book from the library.

The middle sectio
Eileen
Nov 27, 2016 Eileen rated it liked it
***

Didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but definitely some helpful information for anyone looking to get into a more minimalist lifestyle. I'm always a work in progress on that front, but it is something I strive for. toys are definitely an issue that we struggle with when it comes to downsizing but I was and am already doing much of what he suggests in this book.

I do really love his thoughts on comparison and I highlighted much of that section to go back and reread again lat
Nicole
Nov 20, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive

I really liked how it covered many diverse aspects of simple living with kids but I found much of the second half of the book bordering on preachy platitudes.
Victoria
Nov 23, 2016 Victoria rated it liked it
Read for December's Parenting by the Book
Casey
Oct 01, 2016 Casey rated it liked it
A few decent practical tips, but not much that I didn't already know. I liked that it wasn't too long, and the chapter toward the end about stay-at-home parents was an interesting inclusion.
Liz
Jun 08, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom-helps
Joshua Becker's definition of minimalism is: "the intentional promotion of the things we most value and the removal of everything that distracts from it." I highly recommend this book to anyone (with kids) who already wants to give minimalism a try. The book is a well organized, quick and easy read.

The first section contains five chapters that introduce the idea of living intentionally and setting boundaries when it comes to consumerism and possessions. Readers are reminded not to let their stu
Christina
Sep 15, 2016 Christina rated it it was ok
I love the idea of this. I felt like it was a little beginner for where I am. I am very clutterfree and want to be clutterfree. I was looking more for ideas and methods versus how to change your mindset. So just not quite what I was hoping. But good for someone who wants to change their thinking.
Erika Gentry
Jan 19, 2015 Erika Gentry rated it liked it
I follow Becoming Minimalist on Facebook and felt much of what I read in this book is covered in Joshua Becker's daily FB posts. If I didn't spend so much of my kid-free time reading or vacuuming (and moving clutter)- I would definitely spend more time purging. Honestly, if my husband were anti-clutter- we would probably sell, toss, or donate about 50% of our belongings and get rid of cable. Unfortunately, he's a saver/pro-clutter and the chapter called Clutterfree with a Reluctant Partner won't ...more
Cheryl
Feb 09, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I love this book and it came at a perfect time as I have set my sights on de-cluttering my house this winter in preparation for a spring yard sale. This book has taught me that it is much more than just sorting thru paper piles and kid's toys---it is a mind set--a change of the way you look at not only your belongings, your shopping habits, gifts, etc but how you look at and want to live your life. I am very inspired, though I know I will never be a minimalist, this book has had me re-thinking ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 05, 2016 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Joshua Becker, of http://www.becomingminimalist.com/, brings his minimalism message to parents. Section one focuses on why minimizing is important to your family's life, section 2 discusses what to minimize, and section 3 discusses what to do after minimizing along with a few other topics.
As an aspiring minimalist already I was really looking for Becker to give me step by step instructions on how to minimize my kids stuff with advice and tips for what age to start involving them. I guess I was
Stephanie
Aug 28, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I am oddly ambivalent about this book; however, I think that may have more to do with where are in our minimalism journey than anything. This book is most definitely written for the parents who haven't started their journey yet.

Becker is sort of the original online minimalist in a way. A lot of other minimalism bloggers (including The Minimalists) list him as one of their mentors or inspirations. He stumbles where others have had the chance to perfect his ideas and methods. The big plus is Becke
Megan
Mar 12, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
I thought this was a decent book and it was helpful. It's nice that it's short and to the point. The first chapters about the reasons for minimalism struck me as very "rah-rah everything is wonderful" where I prefer more down-to-earth principles, but that's just my taste and I understand the author is trying to appeal to a broad audience and make his book appealing to people he's about to tell they need to throw out a lot of their stuff. Not an easy task. Anyhow, the basic idea of the whole book ...more
Amber
Feb 20, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
I got this book from the library looking for ideas on how to declutter the massive amounts of stuff we've accumulated in 4 years for our children. What I got instead was an introduction to a lifestyle I had dismissed without learning more.

This book has been an inspiration for our family to change how we approach living and has me very excited to make the changes happen in our home. I like how each chapter gives you a general guide for how to address the challenging areas of our children's lives
Cory Mace
Feb 28, 2014 Cory Mace rated it it was ok
If you are looking for a how-to book, this is not it. However, it is a great book for soul-searching.

It’s filled with the author’s personal experiences of living a minimalist lifestyle, and incorporates case study options to see how others have taken this philosophy into action (and why).
I walked away with a handful of “projects” to work on, along with a few deeper conversation topics to have with my husband.

Its best geared towards those who know little about the minimalist lifestyle and encom
Misty Davies
Apr 26, 2015 Misty Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well written and encouraging for those who want to simplify their lives

As a person who grew up in poverty, I find that my mindset is very much that of a pack rat. I gather and hoard things with the thought that I -might- want or need them. Over the last decade, I've realised that my current level of abundance is at a mismatch with my mindset. Stuff we have 'just in case' is keeping us from enjoying the stuff we love.

Now that I have young children, the need to begin modelling a mindset of abundan
Dana *
Oct 23, 2015 Dana * rated it did not like it
drips with the tired used cliches of minimalism without any basis.
Can I be a good person, who is in tune with my family and community, and still own stuff? Apparently not.

Paring down my belongings is the only way to achieve a fulfilling life? Why? Because it has been said. THat's all.

I am always looking for useful input on how to approach keeping my life and home 'clutter free'. But I don't appreciate condescension that minimalism is the only worthy pursuit and those of use with stuff are losers
  • The House that Cleans Itself: Creative Solutions for a Clean and Orderly House in Less Time Than You Can Imagine
  • A Life That Says Welcome: Simple Ways to Open Your Heart & Home to Others
  • Yell Less, Love More: How the Orange Rhino Mom Stopped Yelling at Her Kids - and How You Can Too!:
  • Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe
  • Minimalist Living: Decluttering for Joy, Health, and Creativity
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • No More Perfect Moms: Learn to Love Your Real Life
  • One Bite at a Time: 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler
  • Growing Up Social: Raising Relational Kids in a Screen-Driven World
  • Winning the Clutter War
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • The Me, Me, Me Epidemic: A Step-by-Step Guide to Raising Capable, Grateful Kids in an Over-Entitled World
  • Love the Home You Have
  • Hands Free Mama: A Guide to Putting Down the Phone, Burning the To-Do List, and Letting Go of Perfection to Grasp What Really Matters!
  • Deliberate Motherhood: 12 Key Powers of Peace, Purpose, Order & Joy
  • Minimalist Parenting: Enjoy Modern Family Life More by Doing Less
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
Joshua Becker and his young family were introduced to minimalism 6 years ago during a short conversation with their neighbor. Since then, Joshua’s story and writing have inspired millions around the world to find more life by owning fewer possessions. Today, based on his thoughtful and intentional approach to minimalism, he is one of the leading voices in the modern simplicity movement reaching ...more
More about Joshua Becker...

“Owning less is better than organizing more.” 10 likes