Start by marking “Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms” as Want to Read:
Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms

Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  291 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile conducted interviews with hundreds of mothers while researching their best-selling book I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids. It didn't take long before these moms began to reveal their Dirty Little Secretssurprising, thought-provoking, guilty confessions they hadn't told anyone else. Cringe-worthy moments ("I bit my daughter's finger tr ...more
Published April 2nd 2008 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Little Secrets from Otherwise Perfect Moms

Marjanne
Sep 24, 2008 Marjanne rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: mothers, maybe
Recommended to Marjanne by: Marcee
This was really short, and I think most people could read it in 20 minutes. I appreciate that the authors are trying to make women feel more normal about the way they cope with their children and motherhood, but I started feeling really judgmental as I was reading this. For the most part, it wasn't really a big deal. Believe me, I cut corners in my own way to and say thing I regret. But I have a hard time with a 4 year old using the 'F' word. To me that's not funny or ok. Maybe I'm too sensitive ...more
Stephany
Feb 20, 2009 Stephany rated it it was ok
Skip this book and buy "I was a really good mom before I had kids" by the same author. It's more in depth. This wasn't a "book" - just short lines of quotes and stories.
Beckie
Jun 26, 2011 Beckie rated it it was amazing
each page has a mom's dirty little secret...and we all have them. this is a wonderful book for a quick pick-me-up when if you are having a bad day. and it just shows that you are not alone! it is from the authors of 'i was a really good mom before i had kids', another book that all moms should read. i want to buy both of these books because they would help when i am having a bad day - just reading something funny from another mom helps me get through the madness.

a quote from the book: 'I fear be
Judy
Jan 28, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
Won't take you but a few minutes to read but has some funny stories. One woman sprays Lysol near the front door before her husband comes home so he'll think she's been cleaning! Reminds me of my grandmother who used to turn on the oven and sprinkle a little cinnamon so folks would think she had been baking.
Ruby
Oct 21, 2009 Ruby rated it liked it
This book made me laugh outloud. It contains quotes from actual women about the things they do as mothers that they probably would never admit if it their words weren't anonymous. Among my favorites:

My kids don't wear pj's on weeknights. They go to bed in their school clothes so I don't have to fight with them about their outfits in the morning.

I let my two toddlers eat Milk Bones right out of the box. I figure if they're not barking, they're fine.

I told my four-year-old daughter that it's illeg
Jenny Stanek
Apr 27, 2015 Jenny Stanek rated it liked it
Although all the dirty little mom secrets were funny, there's one item on each page and probably less than 50 total. I read through them all in roughly 5 minutes. Although funny, wouldn't ever buy it but rather borrow it for a day.
Tasha
Dec 23, 2008 Tasha rated it liked it
Shelves: because-im-a-mom
If you ever have a day where you think you may not be the best mom, you should pick up this book. First, you can read the book in about 15 minutes (at most). It's one secret per page and there are some good ones in there. I really like the one where the mom signed her son up for karate becuase she thought the instructor was hot. The authors wrote another book (first) called "I was really a good mom before I had kids". I think I'll pick it up. Basically, they talked to about 100 moms and these se ...more
Lisa
May 28, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Alternate title could be "Postsecret: Motherhood Edition."

Very short and quick read. I would've liked it to be much, much longer.
Kim
Aug 06, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok
What a waste of paper. There is one quote on each page of the book. It took me about 10 minutes to read the whole book. The quotes were from mothers who are deceptive to their children, friends, and husbands . . . ie. having a diner catered and passing it off as your own cooking. I don't understand people like that. I am not a perfect mother but I find it much easier to collaborate with other moms and support each other than to judge and nit pick how others choose to parent their kids. I suppose ...more
Ellaina Bishop
Feb 02, 2014 Ellaina Bishop rated it it was ok
I really didn't think it was anything special. Too be honest you could probably read everything that was in this book online.
Jenette
Aug 26, 2009 Jenette rated it did not like it
Don't bother with this read. When the book title says "dirty" that is an understatement. Try disgusting. Would have been much better if it was about dropping a lamb chop on the floor, picking it up, dusting it off and serving it to the family anyway, kind of dirty. I was appalled at the content of this book. I can't believe some of the things these woman do! I can honestly say I do not fit this category of women. I kept reading hoping it would get better, but it didn't. I just kept thinking "and ...more
carissa
Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile conducted interviews with hundreds of mothers while researching their best-selling book I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids. It didn't take long before these moms began to reveal their Dirty Little Secrets surprising, thought-provoking, guilty confessions they hadn't told anyone else. Cringe-worthy moments ("I bit my daughter's finger trying to steal a bite of her cookie.") meet real insights ("I love my kids but I didn't always. It took time to fall in love ...more
Jamie
May 04, 2009 Jamie rated it did not like it
Great idea but fell short. I read the whole book in about 5 minutes. And some of the stories aren't funny, they are really sad. I am not perfect. I am not close to perfect, but really? I can't believe that people do these things and that someone put them in book so we can think it is "normal". People do things they aren't proud of. I get that. But we don't need to celebrate it and put a cupcake to make it look like a party. Laughing at it doesn't make it okay.
Karianne
Nov 22, 2009 Karianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
This book was absolutely perfect for me. Very short, funny, and I read it right when I was needing it most! For any mom that has ever felt like she doesn't measure up, this book is for you. Favorite quote:
Note to husband: Dinner? Don't even ask. There is no dinner. There will never be dinner. Just stop coming home hungry. Unless you have a plan, there will be no plan. And by the way, I'm hungry too.
I cracked up laughing!
Julie
Jan 27, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
Amusing, quick read.
Smschade
Apr 19, 2010 Smschade rated it it was ok
It only contains quotes. Short stories would have been better. Some are funny but I was suprised at how many illustrated children copying their parents' bad language. I laughed at maybe 35-40%. I did love the one about dinner and telling your husband to stop coming home hungry. It is fun to read if you are waiting somewhere for 10-15 minutes but not worth having a copy sitting around your house.
Katelyn Joy
Jan 05, 2009 Katelyn Joy rated it did not like it
I thought the comments saying this is short and could be read in 20 minutes were exagerrating. Nope! There were a few amusing entries but overall this is lame. It lacks validity because none of the quotes are attributed so my guess is the "authors" said most of them or heard their girlfriends say the others then popped these into a book they hope someone will buy in the checkout line at Hallmark.
Cindy
Feb 17, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Whitney
Apr 06, 2010 Whitney rated it did not like it
I was so excited to read this after seeing it on Oprah a year ago. I think all mothers constantly feel guilt, no matter the situation. This book was supposed to help not feel the guilt. I was shocked with some of the things people were willing to reveal. I realized I'm actually a decent mother. I am doing so much more than most of these women in this book are. What a waste of time.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Aug 20, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE EVER!
Recommended to Noran by: Amazon?!?!
Shelves: worst-bks
I was able to view most of the book on line this morning and my lord was I in horror on it's contents! It is not cute little stories of mother prefect mother, when they are mortal like us regular mothers--it is BAD mother stories, some that would make me think about reporting them to DCSF!
The stories are one-three lines, and one to a page. So not alot to the book either.
Beth
Jul 24, 2009 Beth rated it it was ok
Wow, some of these quotes gave me mixed emotions: I'm a really good mom or some of these moms are just horrible, horrible women. Some of the lines in this "book," which is really just a bunch of quotes, were funny, but on the whole, I found them to be, well, disturbing. Kind of a letdown from the authors of a book I really liked ("I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids).
Kory
Jul 14, 2010 Kory rated it did not like it
Shelves: parenting
DID NOT DID NOT DID NOT LIKE THIS BOOK!!! Seriously, this is not cute or funny. It is sad and depressing and I want to save the children from anyone who contributed to this pile of crap parenting. I want to write a book and mail it to the contributors called "Words of Wisdom from Parents Who Wanted Their Kids...Kill Yourself"

Harsh...yes. Stupid book.
Yolanda
Sep 03, 2008 Yolanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
I have to admit some of the stories in this book are on the verge of child abuse. But some of them are things I have done, and things that make me realize that I don't have to be perfect. Because there will always be another mother out there more screwed up than me. Quick read. Try not to take it so seriously like some of the mothers on here did.
Lori
Apr 29, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Short book of one-liner mom confessions. Not going to win any awards but I really just needed a quick light-hearted pick me up, and this one fit the bill. Good for when you want a quick giggle. Favorite confession: I tell my husband I am going to go potty but actually lock myself in the bathroom, sit on the edge of the tub, and read 'People'.
Andrienne
Feb 07, 2012 Andrienne rated it liked it
This is a really short book. One sentence per page to be exact. The revelations are pretty good. I suggest you borrow it from your library because there's not much in here for replay value. The cover is pretty cute though. It might be a good gift to a mom who has a good sense of humor. Most of the entries can offend a lot of people.
Tessa
Jun 28, 2009 Tessa rated it liked it
I read this hoping to laugh and feel a little better about being an imperfect Mom and I think for the most part it accomplished those two things. I even gasped a few times. It was a really fast read since each page only has one quote on it, it's not a book I would read over and over but it was entertaining for the most part.
Ky
Sep 14, 2008 Ky rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It is by the authors of I was a A Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids. Each page has a quote like the Dirty Little Secrets in that book. It took about 20 min. to read. Some of them I related to, others I laughed hysterically at. Pick it up after I was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids....
Sep 04, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Parts of this book make me literally laugh out loud, and then other parts left me a little disturbed. I'm not anywhere close to being a perfect mom but if you have to take vicodin when your baby cries or pinch your kid and leave a mark thats more than just a little funny secret, you need some help.
Marcee
Aug 11, 2008 Marcee rated it liked it
This was a super quick read. Each page has just one secret on it so I read it in about 20 mins. It does make you realize that every mom has coping methods even if they seem like "the prefect mom". Also it helps you realize that it is perfectly normal to love your kids and not always like them that much :)
Susan
Oct 15, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
Read this little book while the kids were in the tub. Hard to call it a book, more like a collection of confessions from Moms, re: their dirty little parenting secrets. I laughed at the mom who forget to pick her kid up from kindergarten b/c she got wrapped up in a VH1 Rockumentary. That is so me.
  • Naptime Is the New Happy Hour: And Other Ways Toddlers Turn Your Life Upside Down
  • Afterbirth: Stories You Won't Read in a Parenting Magazine
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • Amazing Baby: The Amazing Story of the First Two Years of Life
  • Hello, My Name Is Mommy: The Dysfunctional Girl's Guide to Having, Loving (and Hopefully Not Screwing Up) a Baby
  • A Second Helping
  • It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita
  • Sleep Is for the Weak: The Best of the Mommybloggers Including Amalah, Finslippy, Fussy, Woulda Coulda Shoulda, Mom-101, and More!
  • The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting
  • The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby
  • Unbuttoned: Women Open Up About the Pleasures, Pains, and Politics of Breastfeeding
  • Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It
  • Just Let Me Lie Down: Necessary Terms for the Half-Insane Working Mom
  • No More Perfect Moms: Learn to Love Your Real Life
  • It Gets Easier! And Other Lies We Tell New Mothers
  • Daddy Needs a Drink: An Irreverent Look at Parenting from a Dad Who Truly Loves His Kids—Even When They're Driving Him Nuts
  • When Did I Get Like This?: The Screamer, the Worrier, the Dinosaur-Chicken-Nugget-Buyer, and Other Mothers I Swore I’d Never Be
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
361910
Trisha Ashworth lives in Northern California with her husband and three children.
More about Trisha Ashworth...