Start by marking “Thanksgiving Day” as Want to Read:
Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving Day

The origins and traditions, and how it is celebrated today.
Published November 1st 1988 by Holiday House (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Thanksgiving Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanksgiving Day

Margaret Chind
Oct 22, 2014 Margaret Chind rated it liked it
We watched this one as a library video from Overdrive. I'm happy about this new capability. It was a great ten or so minutes of quiet time around here while the girls got to watch and learn about Thanksgiving Day and the traditions it holds. We're always glad to experience a Gail Gibbons book.
Shanna Gonzalez
Here is a retelling of the traditional Thanksgiving story for an elementary audience, with an explanation of modern observances of the holiday. It's illustrated in Gibbons' usual style -- simple drawings that get the point of the text across. It's not as compelling or engaging as some books of the same kind, and since half the book is devoted to modern observances, it's surprising that she leaves out the fact that Thanksgiving was only instituted as a national holiday 200 years after the Pilgrim ...more
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Gail Gibbon's THANKSGIVING DAY is definitely a 'blast from the past'. The color choices of the art plus the fabulous 1980's moustaches sort of date this book.

At the beginning, it's pretty good. It tells in simple words, without a lot of sentences, a simplified story of how the pilgrims came to new continent.

"The Pilgrims wanted to worship God in their own way,
which they had not been allowed to do."

"They left their homes in England and saled across the
ocean to the New World in a ship called the M
Kalin Schwab
This books teaches the first Thanksgiving in a way that children can understand. The color are really bright. It really helps to explain the reason why we celebrate the holiday today. It has historical facts, but is it still a fun read.
Asho
This is a basic book about the "history" of Thanksgiving. I put history in quotes because it's a watered down, very simplistic, probably mostly false children's version of Thanksgiving history. But considering it's a children's book, that's okay. The illustrations are extremely bright and colorful, but also very dated. It's funny, as I read this I found myself thinking, "This has to have been written in the late '70s." The publication date is actually 1983, but close enough!
Peacegal
Nov 23, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
This looks like something I would have read in my elementary school library, and it caught my eye for that reason. At nearly 30 years old, it's obviously quite dated, but will amuse adults looking for a retro fix.

Veg*n parents note: As might be expected with an older book, only turkey is mentioned as the Thanksgiving centerpiece "everybody" prepares. No other food traditions are discussed.
Marcia
Read this one with the lower school this week to highlight the upcoming holiday. Gibbons is very good at this type of book-- introducing different aspects of a holiday. A little history, some cultural facts, and the human aspects (kindness, empathy) -- a perfect fit for launching further exploration of Thanksgiving.
Rebekah Jones
This book seemed to be an accurate description of the first Thanksgiving for children. I liked the colors in the illustrations. It really explains why we celebrate this holiday today. This is a great holiday/seasonal book. It brings out historical facts but it is still fun to read.
Patty
It's only major flaw is in its historical inaccuracies concerning Thanksgiving. I did like that the Thanksgiving myth was not hyper focused on. Instead, an overall was done on how most modern Thanksgiving Days are celebrated.
Stephanie
Nov 17, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This a very good summary of Thanksgiving for children. It's simple to understand and interesting to follow. The pictures are kind of ugly and outdated, but nonetheless, this is a very good and informative book.
Emily
Dec 08, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I read this book on Thanksgiving Day as part of my thanksgiving traditions. I love how cute the pictures are and the good messages there are to remind children AND adults as to what Thanksgiving Day is really about.
Callie Risse
Oct 09, 2011 Callie Risse rated it it was amazing
This is a simple book for young readers about the history of Thanksgiving as well as current traditions. With simple sentences and helpful pictures, this book covers everything from the Mayflower to pumpkin pie!
Lexie
She was not interested in this book. Might be a little too advanced for her.
Katie Beck
This is a good book to read to teach children not only about the first Thanksgiving but also how similiar it still is today.
Jeannie
Nov 23, 2009 Jeannie rated it really liked it
Perfect for young children. Gail delivers the history of Thanksgiving in simply perfect terms.
Teri
May 21, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Gib
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
A book about how Thanksgiving was started. A.R.
Ashley Fortson
Oct 23, 2011 Ashley Fortson rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
This book is a great book to read around Thanksgiving. It talks a lot about the Indianas and Pilgrims and how they celebrate Thanksgiving.
Heather
Dec 31, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, thanksgiving
29 months - A very simple history and illustrations in bold colors of why we celebrate Thanksgiving.
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2016
SamZ
SamZ rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2013
Kim Bowman
Kim Bowman rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2014
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2010
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...