Start by marking “BANG! The Great Somali Goat Bubble” as Want to Read:
BANG! The Great Somali Goat Bubble

BANG! The Great Somali Goat Bubble

In his #1 Kindle Single CRASH! How I Lost a Hundred Billion and Found True Love, Irish satirist Julian Gough deftly laid bare the Eurozone crisis in all its humor and absurdity. Now in BANG! Gough has turned his inimitable wit and wisdom to third world economies, managing to explain derivatives, arbitrage, and futures through airplanes crashing into livestock.

Dr. Ibrahim
Published August 19th 2013 by DailyLit

To ask other readers questions about BANG! The Great Somali Goat Bubble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about BANG! The Great Somali Goat Bubble

Melki
Is it a folktale?

A parable?

No - it's an economics lesson, and it's hilarious!

You'll learn all about risk spreading, derivatives and most importantly, to never buy a camel in a pub!

description

*No goats were harmed during the writing of this review.
I can't say the same for the story.
Lars
Mar 26, 2014 Lars rated it did not like it
It was an amusing way to explain the economic meltdown. Considering though, that Somalia is 99% Muslim and Islam forbids buying or selling anything before you or an agent representing you have it in possession (in other words, futures are strictly forbidden in Islam), it's a bit of a stretch.

Now, a well researched book where the humble Somalian goat herder explains the flawed foundations of Keysian economics in light of Islamic economic guidelines? That would be a good read. ;)
Kathryn
Jan 27, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story, once I got into the rhythm of it. I need to read it again, I think. I enjoyed the way Jude imagines the story as it's told to him. My only complaint was that sometimes Jude's interjections seemed a little unnecessary, but overall the flow was good.
Bettie
Feb 02, 2014 Bettie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with an interest in economics, or wishes to understand a bit more
Recommended to Bettie by: Daily Lit
An entertaining primer on the recent economics of bubbles, securitization and hedges…. things I didn't learn in economics in college lo these many years ago, yet have had such an impact in our lives in the past decade. A goat dealer/economist from Somaliland tries to explain the recent (fictional) goat bubble burst to an uneducated Irish orphan, resulting that even I have a better idea of what went wrong a few years ago in the western world. My main criticism is that some of the Irish allusions ...more
Itzel Villarreal
Jan 27, 2014 Itzel Villarreal rated it it was amazing
This is my first story from Julian Gough, and, I have to say, wow.

Though reading about the collapse of an economic system is no laughing matter, it is the way that the author expresses these two characters that has you smiling through the whole thing.

It starts when they introduce themselves: Dr. Ibrahim Bihi, an economist from Somaliland, and Jude, the narrator and a very quirky and dumb character.

It is times like when Dr. Bihi is twisting in exasperation that Jude doesn't understand him that ha
Peg Moran
Feb 20, 2014 Peg Moran rated it really liked it
BANG! is a romp with attitude through a university economics course. It’s dedicated to Ayn Rand and Alan Greenspan “who made it possible.

Dr. Bibi, a Phd. in “the dismal science,” is a specialist in the exploitation of price discrepancies in imperfect markets. He explains his financial ups and downs to Jude, an orphan from Ireland. While Jude desperately tries to keep himself anchored to concrete reality, Dr. Bibi is off an running with his tale: a clever plan to parlay his one remaining possessi
Cori
Mar 20, 2015 Cori rated it liked it
This is a quick satirical piece to explain the housing bubble crisis in extended metaphor. I liked the lighthearted presentation of the situation, but I felt that I already knew all the information (I recommend the Planet Money podcast for easy to understand explanations of economics).

I expect this sort of piece as an interesting blog post or online article, so the kindle format was a bit odd for me.
Pat
Feb 27, 2014 Pat rated it it was ok
A lighthearted poke at a very serious situation we all lived through a few years ago. Want to understand the financial meltdown of '08, then think goats!! Having a slight understanding of market terms makes this read a bit funnier. Its a quick read and you'll probably think differently about Wall Street...or was that the Goat Exchange!! Have fun with this one!! Thanks to DailyLit for this afternoon's chuckles!!
Abby
Mar 09, 2014 Abby rated it really liked it
I won this at DailyLit!
This was a great way to explain the economic bubble theory and it was a very fun read. All those poor goats! I have always considered the economy boring and confusing, but this book was hilarious!
I think they should have this as required reading in beginning economics classes. If I could have all economics explained this well, I don't think I would struggle as much.
Colleen (Soggywarmpockets)
Apr 06, 2016 Colleen (Soggywarmpockets) rated it really liked it
Hands down one of the funniest things I have ever read. I made the mistake of reading part of it in public and had a good number of people staring and wondering what the hell was wrong with me because I physically could not stop laughing.
Vicky
Apr 24, 2014 Vicky rated it it was amazing
Since economics is not my major, once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed the metaphors related with present day financial crisis. Easy to read, brilliant parallels,just a casual chat of two strangers on a random bench. Accessed it via DailyLit giveaways.
Abdul
Abdul rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
Stephenwho
Stephenwho rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Christian
Christian rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Kevin Likes
Kevin Likes rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Talia
Feb 17, 2014 Talia rated it it was amazing
What a delightful read! BANG is witty and whimsical with a purpose. I certainly recommend it.
Sandra Gross
Sandra Gross rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Urvir
Urvir rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Jennifer Lee
Jennifer Lee rated it it was amazing
Damien Ryan
Damien Ryan rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Emer Martin
Emer Martin rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2016
Jorge Mariño
Jorge Mariño rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Kealani
Kealani rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Tahneelacey Lacey
Tahneelacey Lacey rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Martin Bezemer
Martin Bezemer rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
Jayne
Jayne rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
david
david rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
Kevin Jackson
Kevin Jackson marked it as to-read
Mahesh
Mahesh marked it as to-read
Brigitte Weinberg
Brigitte Weinberg marked it as to-read
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Marshall Sutton
Marshall Sutton is currently reading it
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Marymccarty
Marymccarty marked it as to-read
Sanyog Pendharkar
Sanyog Pendharkar marked it as to-read
Kathy Cowie
Kathy Cowie marked it as to-read
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Ahmad
Ahmad marked it as to-read
Ilana
Ilana marked it as to-read
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jacquie
Jacquie marked it as to-read
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Tina
Tina is currently reading it
Rdr
Rdr marked it as to-read
Si Hui
Si Hui marked it as to-read
Mrdr
Mrdr marked it as to-read
Nadine
Nadine marked it as to-read
Nicolas
Nicolas marked it as to-read
Ivana
Ivana marked it as to-read
Briscoe
Briscoe marked it as to-read
Nightengail
Nightengail marked it as to-read
Kathryn King-metters
Kathryn King-metters marked it as to-read
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Drusillah
Drusillah marked it as to-read
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Marsha Hughes
Marsha Hughes marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Julian Gough is an award winning author of funny stories about serious things. He won the BBC National Short Story Award in 2007 (when it was the biggest prize in the world for a single short story). His “The iHole” was shortlisted for the one-off BBC International Short Story Award in 2012. He has also been shortlisted, twice, for the Everyman Bollinger Wodehouse Prize for comic fiction.

He repres
More about Julian Gough...