Start by marking “Miracle Dogs: Rescue Stories” as Want to Read:
Miracle Dogs: Rescue Stories

Miracle Dogs: Rescue Stories

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  11 reviews
78 million dogs live as pets in the USA. These are the lucky ones. Five to seven million companion animals enter shelters every year, and more than half are euthanized due to the lack of space.
Miracle Dogs celebrates and honors the rescuers and the dogs whose lives they've saved. It features wonderful stories and photographs of dog rescuers, dog trainers, and rescue organ
Published October 7th 2014 by St. Martin's Press

Teena in Toronto
I love reading stories about animals and I loved this book because it was about dogs who had been rescued. And not only were there stories but there were beautiful photos of the dogs taken by Liz Stavrinides.

The stories include dogs that have been adopted by celebrities such as Chevy Chase, Lance Bass, Peter Marshall and Shirley Jones but also by people who run rescues and regular folk like you and I. There were stories of people who had lost their pets and these rescue dogs came along at the ri
Grey853
I love dogs and the idea that our country kills millions every year in what are called "shelters" is shameful. This book, however, focuses on the success stories, how dogs have been saved by caring and loving people. More importantly, it shows how dramatic an impact a dog, or in some cases multiple dogs, can have on people. I particularly liked the ones where the story is written by the actual owners of the dogs rather than the ones written about the owners or the dogs.

I also thought the photog
Emily
This was a wonderfully light read that easily placed down and easy to pick up again. Each story is about 2 or 3 pages and has at least 1 adorable picture. The writing was a bit sporadic in the way that I loved one, and then was annoyed by the next. I think there were some stories that were written by the people they were about? There was a lot of playing around with the perspective - first to third person. Slightly confusing, but I am on vacation so my brain is working at half speed.

The only ot
Carolyn
The book was a gift from a coworker of mine, Christmas pick a name thing. The photos are great. Some of the essays are better written than others. I have been volunteering at my local shelter for more than ten years, so the stories ring true to me. The south does have a high kill rate over 99%. They also talk about the high kill areas of LA etc. I live in NH and I can proudly say we have one of the lowest kill rates in the country. We bring dogs up from the south so I know the kill rate down the ...more
Judith
I have a concern about the validity of a story in this book. This story, 'Angels Who Walk Among Us' found on page 87 in particular which creates a credibility problem for this book, the author and the publisher. It is a shame that a book that if focused on something so important contains a story based in fiction. I would love to recommend this book but I am forced to question the validity of all of the stories given the lack of fact checking done on this one.
Sally Labonte
I wish I could remember the wonderful person that gave me this book as a gift, but I can’t. I would have liked to personally thank the individual for such a thoughtful gift. I loved each story of the rescued dogs and their loved ones. They have inspired me to do as much as I can for these beautiful animals that do not have a voice. A great read to understand how a small amount of kindness can go along way and change the life for the dog as well as the individuals who love these animals. The phot ...more
Pam
Aug 03, 2015 Pam rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: animal
Do you like celebrities? And do you like dogs? If your answer to both is yes, then this is the book for you. Personally I am not impressed by all the celebrities presented in this volume. I wanted true stories about dogs and normal people.
Mindy
5 stars only because of the book being about rescue dogs, hopefully people will be inspired by the message :) Adopt, don't shop
Jhenna
TRULY AMAZING.
I loved loved loved reading the many different stories about rescues! It inspires me to rescue dogs of my own! i loved the way Liz Stavrinides portrayed the beloved dogs of this earth and how they impacted their future families! A must read.
Dyan
I loved this book!
Sheree
The stories were cute, even though the writing was horrible. And I love the message--go adopt shelter animals!
Myrianne Hamon
Myrianne Hamon marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sarah Sharp
Sarah Sharp marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2015
Patty Dadamo
Patty Dadamo is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
Melissa Salyers
Melissa Salyers is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Siobhan
Siobhan marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Alison
Alison added it
Aug 30, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • Before You Were Mine
  • Angel Dogs: Divine Messengers of Love
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Dog
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls-- One Flying Disc at a Time
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • Dog Shaming
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • A Prince Among Dogs: and Other Stories of the Dogs We Love
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • Dog Heaven
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth