Start by marking “There Will Be Lies” as Want to Read:
There Will Be Lies

There Will Be Lies

3.42  ·  Rating Details ·  1,790 Ratings  ·  457 Reviews
In four hours, Shelby Jane Cooper will be struck by a car.

Shortly after, she and her mother will leave the hospital and set out on a winding journey toward the Grand Canyon.

All Shelby knows is that they’re running from dangers only her mother understands. And the further they travel, the more Shelby questions everything about her past—and her current reality. Forced to tak
Published January 6th 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about There Will Be Lies, please sign up.

Kat no, I don't believe so. I don't think it needs a second one, all the loose ends got tied up.
Winter by Marissa MeyerQueen of Shadows by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2015
445th out of 1,447 books — 8,356 voters
The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda SalisburyHalf Wild by Sally  GreenThe Art of Being Normal by Lisa  WilliamsonThe Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick NessPanther by David            Owen
UKYA in 2015
56th out of 148 books — 271 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
Remember how I was just saying I wanted a YA thriller that would actually, you know, thrill me? Here it is.

Those who liked certain elements of Charm & Strange and Wild Awake might like this, and certainly you'll like it if you enjoy books like Dangerous Girls. Not a perfect book, but a really, really good one, so I'm bumping it up in star ratings in support. I had never heard of Nick Lake until now, but I'm definitely reading his other books! Review to come.
Debbie
Dec 21, 2014 Debbie rated it did not like it
Earlier today I finished reading a NetGalley copy of Nick Lake's There Will Be Lies. Due out in January of 2015, I do not recommend it.

The front matter for There Will be Lies includes a "Dear Reader" letter from Nick Lake. In that letter, he talks about a coyote that he saw in January of 2012:

"In January 2012 I was standing on the grounds of a hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona, looking up at the stars, when a coyote ran past me on the path. It noticed me, stopped, and stared at me, shivering.
After a
Melanie
INITIAL REACTION:

WHUUUUUT. O___________________________________O

SLIGHTLY MORE DETAILED THOUGHTS:

If you don’t mind being lied to constantly, There Will Be Lies is something you must look into. I didn’t really take that title seriously until a while into the read... but yes, THERE ARE LIES, AND DECEPTION, BUT ALSO, TRUTH. I found it a little hard to get into, BUT I had so many questions surrounding Shelby and her insanely conservative mother, so that’s what kept me going. As for the twists, I nev
Pamela
May 05, 2015 Pamela marked it as dnf
As the de facto Teen Librarian (technically I'm a Youth Services Librarian, but I love YA lit and I really love working with teens, so I'm like the Teen-In-All-But-Name Librarian), it's my professional duty to keep up with teen lit. Although I don't generally agree with Big Award Decisions, it's important for me to know who won what when and for what (how's that for a tongue-twister?). This is crucial for booktalking without seeming like an idiot.

I was really surprised when Nick Lake's In Darkne
Cait (Paper Fury)
I have absolutely no idea how to review this. I found this frustrating, a little boring, but yet entirely addictive. Seriously, every time I put it down I just wanted to come back and finish it. But at the same time I felt 78% annoyed at it. What is this?! How do I review this?!
description

It's written in a very strange style. The dialogue is in italics instead of quotation marks. The narrator, Shelby, is so, so, so screamingly sarcastic. I hate saying this about characters, but I literally wanted to shake
Figgy
Actual Rating 3.5

Gym Rat doesn’t say, You feel like hooking up? but he does say, You feel like hanging out? so I was close.
I shake my head as I walk past, and I see his mouth say, Bitch, silently.
So yeah, sad face. I really missed out there.

Meet Shelby Jane Cooper.

She’s snarky, loves reading and baseball, and has an overprotective mother who insists on homeschooling her, and never lets her go anywhere alone. Her weeks follow the same routine, never deviating, never surprising her.

And at the end
Mands
I was expecting a thriller, but it was really obvious from the beginning what had occurred. Also, Shelby's dreams were tedious, I ended up skipping those bits altogether.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jan 17, 2015 Kelly (Diva Booknerd) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloomsbury
3 Stars
There Will Be Lies was a fusion of contemporary, Native American mythology and a thriller which despite it's issues, I found impossible to put down. Shelby has lived an incredibly sheltered life, under the guise that people are generally not to be trusted and want to take advantage of her, relying on her mother to not only home school her but also keep her free from harm. She loves her mother for being protective, but wavers between wanting more fre
Summer
Jan 12, 2015 Summer rated it liked it
For a majority of There Will Be Lies, I was absolutely clueless. It was more of this engaged cluelessness, this burning curiosity to understand what exactly is happening.

Shelby is a 17-year-old home-schooled girl living with her extremely and inexplicably over-protective mother. She doesn't know much about her past--or much about anything, besides what her mom has deemed appropriate she learn. Their comfortable routine is smashed when Shelby is struck by a car, and a domino effect of events come
Charley Cook
Aug 14, 2015 Charley Cook rated it liked it
I recently did a video review of this book, check out the video to see what I thought:
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Jul 03, 2016 Claire (Book Blog Bird) rated it really liked it
This book was kind of bonkers. Good-bonkers, and I enjoyed it, but still one of the craziest books I’ve read for a while.

So the story opens with Shelby Cooper, a seventeen year old girl who lives possibly the most sheltered life with her overprotective mum. She’s homeschooled, isn’t allowed to go out alone, she rarely speaks to anyone other than her mum and her life is strictly planned with the same routines every week.

Did I say she rarely speaks to anyone other than her mum? Okay, she does som
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 8

Yeah, I can't. This writing makes me cringe and reach for a red pen. Maybe it serves a stylistic point, but there's no way I'll be able to settle into the writing.

Here are some comma splices:

"And they know who I am, they welcome me when I log on."

"I know they could be anyone, they could be fifty-year-old creeps in their underpants, but I like talking to them."

"Mom doesn't know I even HAVE online friends, she wouldn't let me have a Facebook that's for sure, but she doesn't know that
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)

I feel it's my duty to warn you all that this book contains lies.

I know, really shocking for a book called There Will Be Lies. But, come on, I can't be the only person who hoped that this book would containnolies, and that the title itself was the real lie. Yes... that was a thing that needed to happen and it didn't and now I'm sad because that's the kind of crazy person that I am.

I've been struggling for quite some time with what I wanted to say in this review and now I am still strugg
All Things Urban Fantasy
Mar 03, 2015 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

THERE WILL BE LIES isn't the typical book you'd find here on All Things Urban Fantasy, but I felt it was one worth sharing. With this thriller, Nick Lake has written a book that is really difficult to review without spoilers, but I'll do my best.

I was lucky enough to see Lake in person on his book tour, and he talked a bit about stories and lies, and what the difference is. Stories, he believes, bring us together, and lies don't. In THERE WILL BE LIES
Rachel
Feb 07, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok
**Disclaimer: I was sent this book for free from Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review. My views are my own and 100% honest.**

"There will be two lies. Then there will be the truth."

Where do I even start?

This is one of the first books that I have ever made the conscious decision to DNF. I skimmed through the ENTIRETY of the ending of the book because I just needed it to end.

This is not an easy book to review because to do so would give spoilers, suffice it to say that this book had so muc
Kate (Caged-Aquarius)
This was a very strange book. Not to say that I didn't like it, in fact, I'm not too sure what I really think of it. The writing was gripping in most parts, but I found myself more connected to the real world than in the 'dream land,' or whatever it was called. The twists kept me predicting and while I did predict some of the twists, there were still a lot of surprises. Overall, this is a book I haven't decided if I like yet, but I may reread it in the future.
Jun 27, 2016 Laura marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-down-for-now
I know I'm SO CLOSE to the end but I'm really not getting anything out of this - It's confusing and boring. Just not my cup of tea... Sorry!
Abbie
Jan 17, 2015 Abbie rated it liked it
The story was unique but I must admit I was lost a couple of times.
The Bumble Girl {Margie}
One of the most unique storytellers I have ever encountered! Enthralling, emotional, shocking, flippant and twisted - there is no other story out there, right now, that can compare...

First, I have to point out, the writing style is very, very different than what I am used to. Conversations are either in italics or told in third person. It was odd at first, but very necessary. I don't see how the author could have helped Shelby tell her story without taking this route. It didn't take very long to
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Jan 05, 2015 Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries) marked it as abandoned
Shelves: arc
Well, I gave it 70 pages and promptly decided NOPE, I'M NOT HERE FOR THIS. From the title alone, it's easy to figure out this book has an unreliable narrator a la We Were Liars and Liar and I love me some unreliable narrators.

But you know what? The fun of not being able to trust who's telling the story gets taken away when you can quickly figure out what the lies mentioned in the title are. I said around page 30 "Oh yeah, (view spoiler)
Jessica
I received an early ARC from ALA 2014. This book was a bit of a frustrating read for me. Half of the book is set in the real world, and is a taut and exciting thriller. I loved the characters, and was really into the storyline (beyond a few glaring Britishisms that stood out in a book set in Arizona). Interspersed with these chapters, however, were chapters set in a dreamworld, that is essentially an allegorical landscape where events have resonance in the real world.

The problem for me was that
Sarah Churchill
Two things about this book; first, it's a very clever, poetic take on a story that I can't explain without MAJOR spoilers, but let's just say I enjoyed it, and it's the kind of story I love. Second, it is one of the hardest books I've ever tried to get into, and I probably would have given up if I hadn't been given the arc for review.

Well over half way in I still didn't have a clue what the hell was going on. I thought maybe I was dealing with a Never Ending Story kind of thing, and I still thin
elissa
This had an excellent beginning, and pulled me in right away. Short chapters. Really interesting combination of suspense and folklore, and lots of playing with the idea that it's a fine line between magic and insanity. I can't remember the last time I read a book this quickly (especially if I wasn't on vacation--also this one is close to 500 pages). I stayed up too late to finish it last night, and am tired as a result, but it was worth it. Upon finishing, my favorite book of the year so far. ...more
Cara
Mar 07, 2015 Cara rated it did not like it
I haven't been so relieved to finish a book since I was in school. There were a couple of points where I wanted to see what was going to happen, but mostly I just didn't get where the book was going, and I didn't care. I didn't like the main character. I really didn't like how much the book jumped around.
I would have a hard time recommending this book to anyone.
Wendy F
Mar 20, 2015 Wendy F rated it really liked it
I’d never even heard of There Will Be Lies before a good friend of mine emailed me and raved about how I absolutely must read this book. It was an absolute must. I admit, the synopsis had me very intrigued. I love secretive books. I love when the blurb on the back leaves me a little unsure about what the book is about exactly. I love how when I start to read I find myself with questions, and that the answers are parceled out slowly and irreverently as though they are little gifts and they’re all ...more
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Really liked this one! Loved that there is a sort of magical realism/aspect of Native American myth. Loved the progression of the story and while I kind of figured that I knew where some parts of the story were going, others came as a surprise. Full review soon.

I absolutely loved There Will Be Lies by Nick Lake. I've only read one book by him before this, Hostage Three, and having enjoyed that book I did think I'd probably like this book as well. What came as a surprise was how much I enjoyed it
Leah
Dec 02, 2014 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books that just dived out of the Bloomsbury 2015 catalogue at me. Having read Nick Lake previously, I knew it was guaranteed to be a great read, and I can honestly say that I wasn't disappointed. First of all, the book turned up in a fancy promotional box with a reindeer keyring and Angel Delight ice cream mix. When you open a package like this, you just know that you're in for a right treat. So thank you Bloomsbury for that! Anyway, back to the book. There Will Be Lies ...more
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
There Will Be Lies is a story that will keep you guessing up until about halfway through when the plot changing reveal occurs.

And while I had my suspicions about what was going to happen, the revelation when it occurred was none the less shocking made more so by the fantastic writing.

Shelby is a seventeen year old girl who is homeschooled by her Mom and who is more often or not accompanied everywhere by her Mom, who doesn't seem to want to let her out of her sight for too long if at all.

When She
Rachel Gilbey
I have no idea how to review this book. I didn't realise until after I had won it and read other reviews that it had how chapters dedicated to "The Dreaming" which is like an alternate universe, related to Native American mythology. If I had known in advance I would have possibly not picked up the book.

However I am glad that I did read this, as the non "Dreaming" parts of the book had me completely hooked, and it is a fairly interesting story.

There are a few twists and turns, and there is a dis
Lori
3.5 I actually really enjoyed this one. It's very weird and different from anything I've read before but it was gripping and had some really surprising reveals. I saw a few of them coming but some really shocked me. The middle did drag a bit for me and at times I wasn't a huge fan of the two worlds but I liked how the story came together in the end and I really liked how the MC changed during the course of the book. If you like mysteries/thrillers with some weirdness thrown in, definitely give t ...more
Addicted to YA: Addicted to YA Giveaway! 40 291 Dec 11, 2015 07:10PM
2016 Reading Chal...: There Will Be Lies - Nick Lake 1 14 Apr 03, 2015 09:44PM
  • The Seeing
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • Kill All Enemies
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Ferryman
  • Saving Daisy
  • Inherit Midnight
  • Mister Creecher
  • Dead and Buried (The Murder Notebooks, #4)
  • Predators of Darkness (Darkness Series #1)
  • Fire Colour One
  • What Waits in the Woods
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • Captive
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • Fever (Parallon Trilogy, #1)
  • The Repossession (Repossession, #1)
  • Say Her Name
My name is Nick and I write and edit books for young adults. My first YA novel IN DARKNESS, was published by Bloomsbury in 2012 and won the Michael L Printz Award for Excellence in YA Literature. I also wrote a book called HOSTAGE THREE about a girl kidnapped by Somali pirates.

THERE WILL BE LIES is coming in January 15 and is about a girl who learns that everything she knows is a lie. To say it's
More about Nick Lake...

“There are things that, when they break, they keep on functioning, just in some other, lesser way. Like an elevator: it breaks, and it's a room. An escalator: it breaks, and it's stairs

The heart is the same.

It breaks, and you might not even notice, because you still feel things, you still have emotions.

But there's a dimension missing, like for the elevator; it still works as a room, but it has lost its vertical axis of motion, and it's the same with a heart: it breaks, and yeah, you can still have feelings, you can still feel sorry for someone, or angry, or sad, but there's something that's lost, a motion, a dimension. It breaks, and it's just an organ, beating.”
4 likes
“What is with people who don't read novels? I mean, what kind of life is that?” 1 likes