Start by marking “Paul Harvey's the Rest of the Story” as Want to Read:
Paul Harvey's the Rest of the Story

Paul Harvey's the Rest of the Story

Paul Harvey is the most listened-to radio personality in America.Millions of loyal listeners tune in every week to hear his unique blend of news and views.Now, in Paul Harvey's The Rest Of The Story you'll find eighty-two astonishing true stories of the famous and infamous, the outrageous and the unknown.Each unforgettable tale has for its startling punch line the wild and ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published July 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Paul Harvey's the Rest of the Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul Harvey's the Rest of the Story

Evan
If Paul Harvey was still alive today, the only way he would be able to make a living with his eccentric creepy voice would be to peddle true-crime sleaze like that white-haired pervert on NBC. Whatisname. The Dateline guy.

This was a book from my youth. Nationally syndicated radio "news and comment" guy, Paul Harvey, was a voice from the lazy days of the 1970s, mainly heard in the summer months from a static-prone but strong little transistor radio, when I was off school and frolicking around the
Shelly
Mar 07, 2016 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun and quick book to read. I enjoy the history behind these stories and it is fun guess if I know "the rest of the story!"
Shirley
Jun 18, 2012 Shirley rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Paul Harvey's the Rest of the story. It was a challenge trying to solve the mystery of the person he was writing about as the clues built in many of the stories. The book has been given a Young Adult/Adult interest level. Many of the people that Harvey describes are unknown to the younger generation which would make it of more interest to adults. Other stories would be ideal for a junior high or high school audience because they are so inspirational. We are always seeking for way ...more
Matt Mazenauer
Jun 08, 2010 Matt Mazenauer rated it liked it
There are all sorts of interesting tidbits that you can learn in this book - so long as you're willing to accept them at face value, without reference. Some seemed more exaggerated and unlikely than others. Sometimes, his storytelling technique will leave you feeling a bit jerked around, and his efforts to maintain the surprise sometimes interfere with the story itself. Other stories are obvious, despite the attempts to keep the ending a secret. However, for a quick, effortless (read: on the toi ...more
Nicole
Mar 28, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed this from a friend and enjoyed the quick read. Each little story is only a page or two long so it's great if you only have a few minutes at a time to read. All sorts of interesting tidbits that make you say "no way!" and a neat little twist at the end. But that of course... is the rest of the story...
Allison Streadbeck
Sep 16, 2014 Allison Streadbeck rated it liked it
This is my biography. It's not about only one person, but about lots of different people. It's a little old, so you may not know who some of the people are, but it's still amazing. A certain famous mystery writer, once tried to frame her husband for killing her. A medicine that your Grandma probably took several times. These are just two examples of some of the stories Paul Harvey tells. It's a good book, if it's people you have heard of.
Hannah
Feb 26, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it
Very fun! I didn't always recognize the names, which lost the surprise of the ending for me. But most of them were surprising, enjoyable, and quick. Some bits of history were especially interesting!
Ron
Jul 09, 2015 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I used to listen to Paul Harvey on the radio, so getting a reading a collection of his stories was entertaining.
Tie Webb
Mar 06, 2016 Tie Webb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Heard many of these stories in school. Nice to revisit.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 18, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it really liked it
Very interesting book of short stories. Some I had heard on the radio and some I had not.
Tamara
Aug 20, 2011 Tamara rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of the radio show Paul Harvey did "The Rest of the Story" but as a history teacher, I knew this was something I could use. I borrowed the book from my local library and enjoyed every minute! For the uninformed, Paul Harvey broadcast 3-5 minute stories (collected in this book) of a behind the scenes factoid/story about famous and not so famous people....they are fascinating and enjoyable as you read to discover "who" it may be about. All around great! I highly recommend. If you ...more
Ronald
Feb 16, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing
just like his radio program[ read SOMETIME in 2005
Deborah
May 17, 2016 Deborah rated it really liked it
Enjoyed all the stories........
Tim
Jul 27, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a fan of Paul Harvey, even though I don't ragree with his politics. These mini-broadcasts with fun little twists, "The Rest of the Story," are perpetual delights, so when I ran across this little book with some 81 stories (most two-three pages in length), sort of "clear your palate" stuff. Highly recommended, fun read.
Teju
Jun 13, 2008 Teju rated it liked it
Sometimes they are drawn out way more than they should be and the writing isn't fabulous, but they are fun short stories. I really enjoy them, especially when I just want to read for a few minutes. Also, some of my generation might not know who the people are.

Stephanie
Jun 24, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
read this on our road trip. I started with the kids then I read mostly to Brett. Each chapter is one of Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story". Only about 2-3 pages long. Learned a lot and never guessed right!
Rae
Nov 07, 2010 Rae rated it really liked it
Who didn't love Paul Harvey's historical radio blurbs where he would give a bit of information, take a commercial break, and then tell us the "rest of the story.?" Nobody's really replaced him, have they...
Dolly
Apr 19, 2015 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys listening to Paul Harvey
A book of 81 short tales along the lines of Paul Harvey's radio broadcasts. It was in my car and I'd read a story or two every day. It took awhile to read the whole book, but I really enjoyed it.
Darrell
Nov 06, 2013 Darrell rated it it was amazing
Always fascinating, Paul Harvey sends us a nice collection of weird stories. This book is thoroughly engaging and offers us the opportunity to revisit our old friend after his passing.
Carolyn Nelson
May 31, 2013 Carolyn Nelson rated it it was amazing
Great family reading. We would read most of the story out loud before dinner, then discuss. After dinner we would wrap up "the rest of the story" This is just plain fun!!
Tracy Gilson
Jul 17, 2013 Tracy Gilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second "The Rest Of The Story" I have read. Even though it is the first book done. I found that I knew some of the stories in it.
Tim Chavel
May 22, 2011 Tim Chavel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! I love to hear what I use to listen to on radio. I could hear Paul Harvey's voice as I read. Great stories.
Scott Hayden
Apr 21, 2012 Scott Hayden rated it really liked it
Another light reading book good for when you have time for just little bites of literature. Little "Guess who's".
Ju
Sep 15, 2011 Ju rated it it was amazing
Wonderful glimpses into important historical characters without feeling like you're reading a history book.
Jon
Sep 23, 2007 Jon rated it really liked it
A fun book which inspired me to always wonder what the story behind the story might really be!
Lisa Rathbun
I totally enjoyed this collection of short stories! Amazing, interesting, fun.
Lindsey Meyer
Sep 21, 2012 Lindsey Meyer rated it really liked it
Full of really interesting personal accounts and stories!
Melissa
May 17, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
If you love history, this is teh book for you!
Allen
Sep 19, 2007 Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all bathroom readers.
The RRRRest of the Story...need I say more
Margie Adkins
Sep 11, 2014 Margie Adkins rated it really liked it
A little dated, but still fun to read.
My biography book 1 3 Sep 16, 2014 03:09PM
  • Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe
  • Seven Brave Women
  • Surprised by Laughter: The Comic World of C.S. Lewis
  • Contentment: A Godly Woman's Adornment
  • Ida Early Comes over the Mountain
  • Clara and Davie
  • Conservatize Me: How I Tried to Become a Righty with the Help of Richard Nixon, Sean Hannity, Toby Keith, and Beef Jerky
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • Beyond the Cosmos: What Recent Discoveries in Astrophysics Reveal About the Glory and Love of God
  • Look up! The Story of the First Woman Astronomer
  • The Quotable Einstein
  • Condi: The Condoleezza Rice Story
  • Lafayette and the American Revolution
  • Capturing Camelot: Stanley Tretick's Iconic Images of the Kennedys
also uses pseudonym: Paul Harvey, Jr.
More about Paul Aurandt Jr....