Start by marking “Louise Penny Boxed Set (1-3): Still Life, A Fatal Grace, The Cruelest Month” as Want to Read:
Louise Penny Boxed Set (1-3): Still Life,  A Fatal Grace, The Cruelest Month

Louise Penny Boxed Set (1-3): Still Life, A Fatal Grace, The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #1-3)

4.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  482 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Québec digs beneath the idyllic surface of village life in Three Pines, finding long buried secrets—and facing a few enemies of his own. With nine books in the series and more to come, this boxed set of the first three books—Still Life, A Fatal Grace, and The Cruelest Month—introduces not only the engaging series hero Inspect ...more
Published August 26th 2014 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Louise Penny Boxed Set (1-3), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louise Penny Boxed Set (1-3)

Linda
Oct 30, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just finished Still Life,A Fatal Grace and The Cruelest Month and am totally hooked. I love the writing style of Louise Penny and the magical Three Pine setting for her village mysteries. But they are so much more. There are of course the quirky characters that inhabit the village, the requisite murders and Chief Inspector Armand Gamache who solves them with his equally quirky team "You must listen and watch"as you sip cognac by the fire in the bistro after a satisfying meal.(The food sounds ...more
Ellen Rohwer
Sep 08, 2015 Ellen Rohwer rated it really liked it
A friend recommended this mystery series based in Quebec, and I've enjoyed devouring the first three books.

Penny skillfully wraps each mystery in humanistic themes established through poetry, literary references, and the physical environment. The murders themselves are always impractical and implausible, so leave any police-procedural preferences parked at the door, and enjoy the characters and the story.

Oh, and the descriptions of the delicious food in every chapter adds a lot of fun. I am no
Jessie
Oct 03, 2014 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
This is my third Louise Penny book and I really like them. The plots are intrigue and tightly woven. I never can guess the murderer before the end of the book. I also have a lot of guesses, and it's fun to keep wondering. I'm sure that I will read more books by this author-- a very good read. **stop here for spoilers*** Armond Gamache is once again investigating a murder. He uses people on his team that others reject, misfits. He learns that he should accept himself, and finally he does give awa ...more
Jeff Keener
Nov 06, 2014 Jeff Keener rated it it was amazing
I just read the three books in the last month and they are some of the best mysteries I have ever read. I loved the character development and the book comes alive in you mind because the description of locals and people are so good. I fell in love with Three Pines!
Jan Trzeciak
Aug 11, 2014 Jan Trzeciak rated it it was amazing
Loved all 3 of these!
Adrienne B
Jan 15, 2015 Adrienne B rated it it was amazing
I love love love Louise Penny books and Inspector Gamache. If you are looking for a new series to start Still Life is a wonderful place to start. Still Life begins the series of Canadian detective novels whose hero is Chief Inspector Gamache with his sidekick Jean-Guy Beauvoir. The series is mostly set in the small Quebec village of Three Pines where lives weave together and there is more than enough murder to be uncovered.
Phyllis
Jan 02, 2016 Phyllis rated it liked it
Still Life is the first book of this series. Since I had read one of the series before, I wanted to start at the beginning of the series in order to engage with the characters. As a first book, Ms Penny's writing style had not developed to the level I found so attractive. Knowing it improved with each book, I stuck with it. I highly recommend the series.
Bridgit Strachan
Aug 18, 2014 Bridgit Strachan rated it it was amazing
I've loved all of her books. She is a beautiful writer and her characters are quirky and eccentric with a bit of "normal" thrown in... They come alive. By the time I finished her second one I felt like I was leaving good friends. Be sure to read them in sequence.
Sherry
Jul 19, 2016 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a compilation of the first 3 novels in the inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. All three take place in the fictional town of Three Pines in Quebec. In the first novel, Still Life, Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1) by Louise Penny a beloved member of the community is murdered just after her first entered painting is awarded a showing.
In the second, A Fatal Grace, A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2) by Louise Penny we are introduced to the victim, C.C de Portiers while she is still alive. We know she will be murdered, we don't know how or why. She is vain, self- centered and bullies h
Linda Flatley
Jan 02, 2015 Linda Flatley rated it really liked it
I love these Inspector Gamache mysteries. Set in Montreal, Quebec, they are interesting. She does such a good job with character development.
Nancy
Jun 05, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I think Louise Penny writes with elegance and humor. I loved the whole Inspector Gamache series. .. Sad to finish the last one.
Desi Vial
May 15, 2015 Desi Vial rated it really liked it
These are just fun books with great characters. The regular characters are definitely people I'd like to have as friends. I want to be invited to one of their dinner parties.
Janet Whitworth
Aug 27, 2014 Janet Whitworth rated it really liked it
Loved it, love all her books! They are incredibly well written and I can't wait to read more.
Carroll O
Mar 05, 2015 Carroll O rated it it was amazing
Great story, and the food!!! The food!!! I had to google recipes and make it myself!
Sandy Emler
Jan 03, 2015 Sandy Emler rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this series and am finding it hard to pick up other books at the moment.
Barbara
Jun 25, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
A somewhat spooky read, but enjoyable.
Pat Colpitts
Dec 10, 2014 Pat Colpitts rated it really liked it
I liked it. A solid read.
Diane Shafter
Oct 10, 2014 Diane Shafter rated it liked it
Love this series!!!
Electra
Sep 07, 2014 Electra rated it really liked it
Louise Penny's style of mystery writing is very reminiscent of Agatha Christie. She focuses more on the psychology of a murderer rather than the act itself. Her characters are well developed and I became invested in them. Overall, I enjoyed her books and her insights into the human spirit.
Mmequeen
Aug 09, 2015 Mmequeen rated it it was amazing
As an expat Canadian, I love both the storyline and setting of the stories. Three Pines is a taste of home that I cherish! And Gramache and crew dive into the depth of the darkness of human nature. Below the benign lies some terrible malignancy. I re read the series regularly.
Heather
Jul 18, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
These are great books that I just cannot get enough of! Perfectly written that focus on the people and not on gory murder details. I'm hooked.
Katherine Degn
Jan 02, 2016 Katherine Degn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun if slightly silly series. Excellent for the subway
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Patty Gaunce
Patty Gaunce marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Diana Anderson
Diana Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
loretta a leonard
loretta a leonard rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Elizabeth J Miller
Elizabeth J Miller rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Beth Drummond
Beth Drummond marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
  • Reckless Nights: Stormy Challenge\Reckless Passion
  • Lover In Pursuit
  • Loco Moco (Darby Stansfield, #3)
  • Amanda/Haunting Rachel
  • Single by Saturday: By Catherine Bybee -- Review
  • Sudden Deception (A Jill Oliver Thriller)
  • One Mississippi
  • Sweet Spot: The Petit Mort Stories
  • The Devil on Lammas Night
  • Jack (Shibari Auction House, #1)
  • Freud's Revenge
  • Seasons of Death
  • My Love, My Love: or The Peasant Girl
  • Scandalous Seasons: The First Three Scandalous Seasons Novels
  • Dylan's Witch (Supernatural Bonds, #10)
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
  • Seduction / Surrender / Scandal (3 books in 1)
  • Sinister and Fatal: The Guinevere Jones Collection Volume 2
194243
Many of Louise Penny's books are published under different titles by UK/Canada and US publishers.
She lives with her husband, Michael, and a golden retriever named Trudy, in a small village south of Montreal.

Her first Armand Gamache novel, "Still Life" won the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony and Dilys Awards.

Awards:
* Agatha Award: Best Novel
o 2007 – A Fatal Grace – Winner
o 2008 –
More about Louise Penny...

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
  • A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7)
  • The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10)