Start by marking “Mad About Madeline: The Complete Tales” as Want to Read:
Mad About Madeline: The Complete Tales

Mad About Madeline: The Complete Tales (Madeline)

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,251 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
For over sixty years, Madeline's adventures have enthralled her ever-growing audience. This collection brings together all six of the Madeline books in one volume. Every well-loved word and picture is here, plus an introduction by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Anna Quindlen, an essay by Ludwig Bemelmans on how he created Madeline, and working sketches of Madeline, as w ...more
Published September 10th 2001 by Viking Juvenile (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Mad About Madeline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad About Madeline

Edric the Hatchling Gryphon by Eric K. WilliamsMad About Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansPaddington Treasury by Michael BondThe Frog and Toad Treasury by Arnold LobelThe 20th Century Children's Book Treasury by Janet Schulman
Children's Book Treasuries
2nd out of 96 books — 8 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
Red Hair
63rd out of 217 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Jul 08, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children of all ages, especially very young children
This volume contains the complete "Madeline" books: Madeline, Madeline and The Bad Hat, Madeline's Rescue, Madeline and The Gypsies, Madeline in London, and Madeline's Christmas. These books are loved, especially by young children, because all have wonderful paintings and drawings on every page and because of engaging rhyme & meter in the stories. The stories are about the spunky Parisian girl named Madeline. I always assumed she lived in an orphanage with 11 other little girls and the nuns, ...more
Amanda
Jan 30, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A favourite from my childhood. Enjoyed sharing these stories with my two little men, M. (4) and T. (3).
John Yelverton
Oct 21, 2011 John Yelverton rated it liked it
A good children's book, but I liked the television show much better.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 17, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released, borrowed
Mad About Madeline is a lovely hardbound collection of the six Madeline tales published during Ludwig Bemelmans's lifetime. He wrote a seventh story called Madeline in America and Other Holiday Tales that was published posthumously in 1999. Besides the Madeline stories, there is an introduction by Anna Quindlen on how the stories have enriched her life as a parent and at the end of the volume, there are sketches and a brief history of the Madeline stories.

The six stories in this volume are:

* Ma
Meg
Jan 15, 2014 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, kids-books, 2014
My daughter and I enjoyed reading this over the last week or so. I think Elise has read all of the Madeline stories individually, but reading from a collection has been especially nice: you get into a Madeline mood and my daughter was really tuning into the rhythm of the language. Plus this edition has a sweet intro from Anna Quindlen and an essay at the end that discusses the inspiration for the Madeline character.

I've always loved the illustrations in these books - gorgeous. My daughter is a b
Andrea
Feb 26, 2016 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
I love Madeline. I always have and I was glad to find this book once again when going through my things. Madeline will always hold a special place in my heart.
Katie Farmer
Sep 12, 2015 Katie Farmer rated it really liked it
So many sweet, nostalgic feelings while reading this. Madeline's Rescue (Genevieve!) and Madeline's Christmas, my favorites out of the collection. 3.8 stars
Edward Creter
Aug 27, 2014 Edward Creter rated it it was amazing
I have fallen in love with Madeline all over again! This tome has all 6 of the original stories of Ludwig Bemelmans. I never knew there were 6 altogether, and I'm sad that there should've been more from this gentle Frenchman. The littlest girl of the twelve who walk in double file, who DARES to say pooh pooh to tigers and bad hats is as winsome and charming and inspiring as ever. We need more Madelines who are courageous, forthright and lovable as this wondrous creation, whom I met in two books ...more
Serena Wyndelin Ogawa
Nov 15, 2015 Serena Wyndelin Ogawa rated it really liked it
The Madeline books has always been dear to me. Needless to say when I saw this collection in perfect condition at a used book store for less than $10 I may have screamed a little.

It contains 6 of the Madeline books thought not the full bleed pictures, which is really the only detractor. The pictures are just a bit smaller, but still large, colored, and the text is as usual.

It contains an introduction and a bit about the creation of Madeline, as well as a little list of locations used in each s
Eliana
Apr 19, 2010 Eliana rated it really liked it
i do love all the madeleine books. :)
Rachel
Nov 09, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
I had already read the first two books in the collection as part of my Caldecott Challenge, but I enjoyed the stories so much I wanted to read the rest of them. So I found this book. The last four books are "Madeline and the Bat Hat," "Madeline and the Gypsies," "Madeline in London," and "Madeline's Christmas." The first story is about Madeline and the other 11 boarding school girls getting to know Pepito, the son of the Spanish Ambassador, who moves in next door to them. The Gypsy story is abou ...more
NebraskaIcebergs
May 23, 2010 NebraskaIcebergs rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Meet Madeline! She lives in an old house in Paris that is covered with vines and is one of twelve little girls. As we soon discover, Madeline might be the smallest of the girls but she is also brave and adventurous. She is not afraid of mice, loves winter, snow, and ice, and says “Pooh-hooh” to a tiger at the zoo. Two of the girls’ adventures happen right in the house. The other four happen after the girls set out at nine in two straight lines to explore Paris. You can read all six adventures in ...more
Lora Carroll
Madeline is a curious little girl who finds herself on a new adventure in every book. The illustrations in this series are lovely and timeless; they capture the magic of Paris. I like how strong and independent Madeleine is as a character.

Publisher's overview:

This elegant volume--perhaps one of the best gift books on the planet--contains all six adventures of the irrepressible, mischievous Madeline (the smallest and spunkiest of the twelve little girls in two straight lines). Ludwig Bemelmans's
Akemi G
The original six Madeline books in one big volume! (There are a few more sequels written by the original author's grandson.) Perfect to read aloud -- it rhymes and repeats. (Kids love repetitions, and after a while, they probably memorize it.) Also be sure to count the girls on each picture to make sure there are 12 of them! (Kids love counting. And I've found there are sometimes mistakes -- not sure if they are intentional or not, but it's fun to find them out.)

The pictures are childlike and be
Joy
Jun 12, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
Madeline

The classic story about Madeline, the smallest girl at Miss Clavel's school of 12 little girls. Madeline has to have her appendix out.

Madeline's Rescue

Madeline falls into the river and is rescued by a dog. The girls adopt the dog and name her Genevive.

Madeline and the Bad Hat

The Spanish ambassador moves next store to Miss Clavel's school and his son is a very naughty boy until something bad happens.

Madeline and the Gypsies

Madeline and Pepito are rescued by gypsies and join their circus.

M
Christiana
Madeline was my favorite little girl character when I was small. I loved the books and the TV show, and even now I still find myself humming the songs, and quoting the rhymes.

I hadn't thought about the collection of stories that I owned in quite awhile, until a friend of mine and I were talking about our favorite books from when we were little girls. I decided to pull the book out and read the stories to my sister. They are as good as I remember, and I loved looking at the art. I appreciate tha
JulieLaLa
Sep 15, 2014 JulieLaLa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never read any Madeline books as a young girl, so I picked this up during one of my shifts at the library (yes, I'm back). This was just lovely! The stories, the rhyme, the drawings, everything is just smile-inducing! I read it first, then took time to appreciate the gorgeous drawings. Fun!
Wsclai
May 28, 2015 Wsclai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Madeline. The drawings may be simple but when a child reads it, I think they will have strong identification as they are so much like theirs. I also love Madeline's adventurous spirit.
I tried to watch the adaptations (animation) from YouTube but couldn't really find one that is as good as the original drawing, except this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHuQl...
Simon Wojtaszek
I wondered if you would like this or not, since it's about 12 little girls (and at 6 years old, you can't stand anything to do with girls) but you LOVED it! Your favorite part, of course, is when she says "Pooh, pooh," to the tiger in the zoo :)
Sandra Guerfi
Mar 11, 2016 Sandra Guerfi rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect gift for any fan of Bemelman's Madeline. The classic illustrations are beautifully rendered and the classic stories show no signs of losing their timeless, captivating vibrancy.
Kristine
The first three Madeline stories were written during my childhood and therefore fit the 'book from childhoood' category of the 2015 Pop Sugar Book Challenge. What a treat to re-read them.
Rain Misoa
Aug 19, 2015 Rain Misoa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE BECAUSE MADELINE IS AWESOME!
Recommended to Rain by: Library
One of my very favorite children's classics!

To read my full review, click here.
NaomiTheBookLover
Aug 05, 2015 NaomiTheBookLover rated it it was amazing
I loved the Madeline movie as a child so it was wonderful to read the actual stories I grew up loving. The illustrations are a perfect combination of simple and intricate. LOVE!
Sam Wojtaszek
You just love little Madeline, especially how she says "Pooh, pooh," to the tiger in the zoo, and you loved little Pepito, too, who wasn't really a "bad hat" in the end.
Kat
Jan 29, 2009 Kat rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Madeline
I received this book many years ago as an unexpected gift from a friend. I don't even remember telling her how much I love Madeline. This book is the ultimate gift for Madeline enthusiasts. It contains all of Ludwig Bemelmans's tales about the beloved little schoolgirl Madeline. The collection also contains some early sketches Bemelmans made of his most famous character, as well as a brief background of how Madeline was created.

Mad About Madeline is must-have for any fan of the Madeline books. I
Morgan
Oct 12, 2015 Morgan rated it it was amazing
I was enchanted by the illustrations! Never really got into Madeline as a kid, but now I truly appreciate the art put into it. Such darling stories too!
Sandra
Nov 26, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All my grandmother friends
Who doesn't love Madeline and these stories. Anna Quindlen does an excellent introduction to the stories.
Paula Martin
May 14, 2016 Paula Martin rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was younger. Great read! Madeline is very cute.
Hannah
Nov 06, 2015 Hannah rated it liked it
Just took ten minutes to read to myself. But a lot more fun to read outloud!
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • Eloise: The Ultimate Edition
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • Paddington Treasury
  • Amelia Bedelia's Masterpiece
  • Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • Degas and the Little Dancer: A story about Edgar Degas (Anholt's Artists)
  • Curious George Goes to the Aquarium
  • Update on Crime (Nancy Drew: Files, #78)
  • Elizabeth Rex
  • The Knight and the Dragon
  • The Magic Rabbit
  • George and Martha One Fine Day
  • A Treasury of Children's Literature
  • American Tall Tales
  • A Hatful of Seuss: Five Favorite Dr. Seuss Stories: Horton Hears A Who! / If I Ran the Zoo / Sneetches / Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book / Bartholomew and the Oobleck
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1959-1962
Ludwig Bemelmans was an Austrian author, an internationally known gourmet, and a writer and illustrator of children's books. He is most noted today for his Madeline books, six of which were published from 1939-1961. A seventh was discovered after his death and published posthumously in 1999.
More about Ludwig Bemelmans...

Madeline (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Madeline