Start by marking “Madeline in London” as Want to Read:
Madeline in London

Madeline in London (Madeline)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  3,156 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Pepito has moved to England. To help celebrate his birthday, Miss Clavel and the girls pay him a visit. When his mother won't let Pepito keep one of his birthday presents--a horse--Madeline is more than willing to help out.
Published May 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Madeline in London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madeline in London

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Best Books of the Decade: 1960's
221st out of 662 books — 907 voters
After Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenAnne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery
Red Head Heroines
47th out of 93 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

LH Johnson
Rhythm is a comforting thing in picture books. At a stage when the reader is pre-literate, or developing their literacy, and the book is being delivered in the norm by another, literate, individual, the aural nature of language comes to prominence. Or, to be less wordy, rhythm and rhyme are deliciously divine.

We hear words before we understand them at this stage. We may not even know that they are words, that CAT means CAT and not DOG and that HELLO is not a name, but we do know that they are th
Janae
My kids are all for renting a horse now. But that's probably because in the book they seem to keep him, not rent him. A fun, random adventure for the twelve little girls in two straight lines. I had to scold myself for being so American, however. I couldn't believe how quick the trip seemed until I remembered that I had a flight from America in my head rather than a flight from France.
Maria
The art in this book is more sophisticate, clear, and vivid than in the prior editions I reviewed. But for the increase in artistic ability there has been a corresponding decrease in literary value. The book is longer and the rhymes seem more forced than usual. I wonder if this book is a classic out of sentimentality more than merit. Why do the Madeline stories endure?
Ethelen V.

Bemelmans, L. (1961). Madeline in London. New York, NY: Viking

Madeline and the girls are invited to visit Pepito in London for his birthday. They bring him a present that would delight most children- a horse! Unfortunately, the horse gets into some mischief and into the garden. He can no longer stay with Pepito, so he goes back home with Madeline.

This book is part of the Madeline series. Like other Madeline books, it has a rhythmic and rhyming text. It's written as a poetic story. Every two lin
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/07/11 -

Julia and I are trying to make up for lost time with the Madeline books. This one had some parts I liked least out of all of the books (the way the horse was traded around like an inanimate object, the reference to glue) and some parts I loved best (the way the horse wasn't just thrown away, the way the horse was welcomed into the home).
I think all of the Madeline books we've read have been followed along with listening to the audio story and I wouldn't have it any
Rosa Cline
Madeline is a little girl in a school with 11 other little girls and is overseen by a nun. She is the smallest of the 12 and often is the most adventurous. Her books have been a nice read to my 3 year old granddaughter, nothing fancy or extra ordinary but still nice to read. The nice thing about her is although she often gets into mischief herself she usually knows right from wrong and helps fix things for those around her. A very caring little girl.
Taressa Williams
The author tells the adventures that Madeline and the gang have in the city of London. The story is about Madeline and friends going on a trip to visit their friend, Pepito, for his birthday. The main characters were Madeline, Pepito, and the horse given to Pepito for his birthday. The book appeals to a younger audience. As a teacher, I would you this text to teach because it was a rhyming book. The students will interact through the illustrations and the riddles used throughout the book. I appr ...more
Felicity
Another brilliant Madeline book. Pepito has moved to London but is missing the girls so they go over and pay a visit with hilarious consequences!

I enjoyed seeing Bemmelmans's illustrations of London and the consequences of not feeding Pepito's pet!
Rachael Vanderhoof
Madeline in London is a wonderful book that tells of Miss Clavel and her girls (including Madeline)and there visit to London. They are going in order to see their royal friend Pepito. For Pepitos birthday the girls bring him a horse as a presnt. Unfortunately, the horse becomes ill. They all decide that it would be best to take the horse back to Paris in order for him to be well-taken care of. This book is truly a children's classic. The plot is fun and creative, and the illustrations are terrif ...more
Libby
I have loved the Madeline books practically my whole life, but I just can't understand how they could buy a horse and not feed it. It seems pretty cruel. The poor gardener! I do like that the horse gets to sleep in the house.
Christy
Emily
My sister gave me this book for Christmas to celebrate the fact we are going to London and Paris together this May. I had forgotten how wonderful Madeline books are. Can't wait to read this to my kids some day!
Destiny Dawn Long
My daughter and I love Madeline. And she's thrilled to read pretty much any Madeline book. For me, though, I didn't find this story as compelling as others I've read. Part of it might have been that I found it a little absurd that the girls and Miss Clavel would be able to pool their pocket money to buy a horse. And more than that, that anyone would buy a kid a horse without consulting his parents first! And then things become even more pointless.

It's entertaining, I guess, but didn't meet my e
Justus
Apr 04, 2014 Justus rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: baby
Maybe it would have been more enjoyable if I read some of the other Madeline books first. Cute story. Decent art. Fun rhymes, but really not that compelling.
Jessica Westerman
Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans was not one of my favorite childrens books. I was excited to read the book because I remember watching the movie as a child. However, once I finished the book I was slightly disappointed. The book was written as a poem with every two lines rhyming. The beginning of each line, even if it was not the beginning of a new sentence was capitalized. This confused me at first. It also made it hard to read. The pictures are plain and do not have much color. Overall, ...more
D
I just love all Madeline stories and this was no exception:) My children always enjoy the time we spend reading the story and looking at the pictures.
Devi Barcena
A Madeline book never fails to capture my daughter's attention.
lola Franco
Did not love as much as the others.
Pricky
How does Madeline endure through the years? The pictures are nice but the poems and stories seem forced. (I like the first part though..in a house in paris all covered with vines...) But Especially, this one...I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous the story was...the girls decide to buy a horse, then the horse ends up flying back and living with them...and half the time, the rhythm and rhyme just wasn't right. Some words didn't even rhyme! So I really wonder why this story still endures the ...more
Amber
I love this book! I had no idea that its main character would be a horse. I love how the children save the old horse not once but twice. This is a fun book that explores London and some of its customs. It can also be used for teaching lessons about rhyming. I would have my students pick another city to rhyme about and make characters. I plan to have this book in my reading corner and use it when I am covering world geography and writing.
Karen Dransfield
After the last story the Spanish Ambassador moves to London and Pepito misses the girls. So they invite them all to London to visit for his birthday. And the adventure they have there.
Beth
Pepito moves to England and leaves behind his cat. The ambassador calls requesting they visit at the embassy to cheer up Pepito. The girls and Miss Clavel give him a horse for his birthday. The horse does not get fed and ruins the gardener’s work. You feel bad for him:
"The gardener, who was never late, opened up the garden gate..."
Everyone ends up crying. The horse goes home with the girls.
Linsey Ward
Madeline and her housemates make a trip to London to visit their friend, Pepito, for his birthday. They buy him a horse who eats up an entire garden. When Pepito's mother tells him the horse cannot stay, Madeline decides to bring him home with them. I really like the way the people are drawn in this book. The pictures are very beautiful and complement this rhyming book all throughout.
Christina Macleod
I have to admit, the reason I ranked this book as high as a did is because of the illustrations. The most intriguing part of the Madeline books, to me is the artwork. This particular story was not my favorite of the Madeline books, but the artwork is fantastic. You get a glimse inside of London with the accurate and descriptive illustations.
Irene
Impulse buy while on a book-shopping spree in Waterstones - but not to be regretted. Love the illustrations, so satisfyingly dense with colour; Miss Clavel is almost Chagell-esque. Storyline progresses at great rate: favourite line is about the horse they save "Some poor old dobbins are made into glue, But not this one - Look, he's good as new."
C.
It's Madeline & London, what can be bad here?
Sheila
This is another nice Madeline story, for those who are fans of the character or the series. This book strongly features Pepito as well as a horse. I enjoyed the part about the horse, my daughter enjoyed the usual rhyming nature of the story. And as usual, I feel sorry for poor Miss Clavel. That woman needs a vacation!
Jennie Park
Madeline in London is one of many stories in a series. These books are so much fun to read because of the adventures that Madeline goes on with her friends. They are always learning new things and experiencing new things as well. It is a book that many children can relate to and make personal connections.
Logan
Daddy read this one to our 5-year-old son who thought the book was very funny. It's the first Madeline story he'd read, so he didn't know the background, but that seemed fine. His favorite character was Pepito, a Spanish boy whom the girls try to cheer up by getting him a horse. Disaster predictably ensues.
ElliottDietrich Mattison
What could be better than Madeline in Paris but Madeline traveling to London to be with her dear friend Pepito who is in a mental health crisis! Never one to give up on what she wants, Madeline ends up bringing home a most unexpected guest to the old house in Paris covered with vines.
  • The Travels of Babar
  • The Clown of God
  • George and Martha One Fine Day
  • Dandelion
  • Peter's Chair
Ludwig Bemelmans was an Austrian author, an internationally known gourmet, and a writer and illustrator of children's books. He is most noted today for his Madeline books, six of which were published from 1939-1961. A seventh was discovered after his death and published posthumously in 1999.
More about Ludwig Bemelmans...

Madeline (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Madeline
  • Madeline Loves Animals
  • Madeline Says Merci: The Always-Be-Polite Book
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • Madeline at the White House
Madeline Madeline's Rescue Madeline and the Bad Hat Mad About Madeline: The Complete Tales Madeline's Christmas