Start by marking “Madeline in London” as Want to Read:
Madeline in London

Madeline in London (Madeline)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  3,740 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Pepito has moved to England. To help celebrate his birthday, Miss Clavel and the girls pay him a visit. When his mother won't let Pepito keep one of his birthday presents--a horse--Madeline is more than willing to help out.
Published May 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Madeline in London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madeline in London

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Books of the Decade: 1960's
248th out of 762 books — 1,179 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best Children's Books Set in England
13th out of 113 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

LH Johnson
Sep 24, 2013 LH Johnson rated it really liked it
Rhythm is a comforting thing in picture books. At a stage when the reader is pre-literate, or developing their literacy, and the book is being delivered in the norm by another, literate, individual, the aural nature of language comes to prominence. Or, to be less wordy, rhythm and rhyme are deliciously divine.

We hear words before we understand them at this stage. We may not even know that they are words, that CAT means CAT and not DOG and that HELLO is not a name, but we do know that they are th
To check out my reviews:

This series could have been three books with interesting plots and lessons but in the end I felt as though the author ran out of ideas and put incoherent storylines that either are not believable or raise questions as to why the plot don't make sense. When it comes to the books versus other forms of media, I have to admit that Madeline is better as a television series than book.

Pepito is leaving Paris because his father as the Spanish
Jul 29, 2015 Janae rated it liked it
My kids are all for renting a horse now. But that's probably because in the book they seem to keep him, not rent him. A fun, random adventure for the twelve little girls in two straight lines. I had to scold myself for being so American, however. I couldn't believe how quick the trip seemed until I remembered that I had a flight from America in my head rather than a flight from France.
Jun 17, 2016 Pat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Enchanting illustrations and lively story, featuring one of the most beguiling characters in all of children's literature, who travels to London to help her ailing friend, Pepito.
Johara Almogbel
Jan 24, 2016 Johara Almogbel rated it really liked it
Madeline is one of those characters that is timeless. Also, the illustrations. Why did people stop making illustrations this lively?
Jun 08, 2008 Maria rated it it was ok
The art in this book is more sophisticate, clear, and vivid than in the prior editions I reviewed. But for the increase in artistic ability there has been a corresponding decrease in literary value. The book is longer and the rhymes seem more forced than usual. I wonder if this book is a classic out of sentimentality more than merit. Why do the Madeline stories endure?
Ethelen V.
Apr 04, 2014 Ethelen V. rated it it was ok
Shelves: etl2368

Bemelmans, L. (1961). Madeline in London. New York, NY: Viking

Madeline and the girls are invited to visit Pepito in London for his birthday. They bring him a present that would delight most children- a horse! Unfortunately, the horse gets into some mischief and into the garden. He can no longer stay with Pepito, so he goes back home with Madeline.

This book is part of the Madeline series. Like other Madeline books, it has a rhythmic and rhyming text. It's written as a poetic story. Every two lin
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
In Madeline in London, Madeline goes on an adventure in London with her friend Pepito. Pepito had to move from Paris to London and is very depressed about being away from his friends. To cheer him up Miss Claveel and the girls travel to London and buy him a horse for his birthday. Pepito and Madeline have a huge adventure all through the city.
The Madeline series is very popular with little girls ages 4-6. If you are looking for a book series for a young girl, you can't go wrong with Madeline. F
Julia Jasztal
Feb 03, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it really liked it
Mommy's review from 11/07/11 -

Julia and I are trying to make up for lost time with the Madeline books. This one had some parts I liked least out of all of the books (the way the horse was traded around like an inanimate object, the reference to glue) and some parts I loved best (the way the horse wasn't just thrown away, the way the horse was welcomed into the home).
I think all of the Madeline books we've read have been followed along with listening to the audio story and I wouldn't have it any
Rosa Cline
Jul 15, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Madeline is a little girl in a school with 11 other little girls and is overseen by a nun. She is the smallest of the 12 and often is the most adventurous. Her books have been a nice read to my 3 year old granddaughter, nothing fancy or extra ordinary but still nice to read. The nice thing about her is although she often gets into mischief herself she usually knows right from wrong and helps fix things for those around her. A very caring little girl.
Taressa Williams
The author tells the adventures that Madeline and the gang have in the city of London. The story is about Madeline and friends going on a trip to visit their friend, Pepito, for his birthday. The main characters were Madeline, Pepito, and the horse given to Pepito for his birthday. The book appeals to a younger audience. As a teacher, I would you this text to teach because it was a rhyming book. The students will interact through the illustrations and the riddles used throughout the book. I appr ...more
Jan 14, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute book. Madeline and her friends go to visit Pepito in London. A horse runs off and an adventure ensues. As a kid I don't remember some of the strange wording that the author uses in order to rhyme. It ends up being a bit of a tongue twister sometimes. But this was a cute book. I thought the ending was sweet. =)
Dec 26, 2014 Felicity rated it really liked it
Another brilliant Madeline book. Pepito has moved to London but is missing the girls so they go over and pay a visit with hilarious consequences!

I enjoyed seeing Bemmelmans's illustrations of London and the consequences of not feeding Pepito's pet!
Rachael Vanderhoof
Apr 19, 2012 Rachael Vanderhoof rated it really liked it
Madeline in London is a wonderful book that tells of Miss Clavel and her girls (including Madeline)and there visit to London. They are going in order to see their royal friend Pepito. For Pepitos birthday the girls bring him a horse as a presnt. Unfortunately, the horse becomes ill. They all decide that it would be best to take the horse back to Paris in order for him to be well-taken care of. This book is truly a children's classic. The plot is fun and creative, and the illustrations are terrif ...more
May 22, 2015 Libby rated it it was ok
I have loved the Madeline books practically my whole life, but I just can't understand how they could buy a horse and not feed it. It seems pretty cruel. The poor gardener! I do like that the horse gets to sleep in the house.
Feb 25, 2015 Christy rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
My sister gave me this book for Christmas to celebrate the fact we are going to London and Paris together this May. I had forgotten how wonderful Madeline books are. Can't wait to read this to my kids some day!
Destiny Dawn Long
My daughter and I love Madeline. And she's thrilled to read pretty much any Madeline book. For me, though, I didn't find this story as compelling as others I've read. Part of it might have been that I found it a little absurd that the girls and Miss Clavel would be able to pool their pocket money to buy a horse. And more than that, that anyone would buy a kid a horse without consulting his parents first! And then things become even more pointless.

It's entertaining, I guess, but didn't meet my e
Paige intheBooks
Dec 09, 2015 Paige intheBooks rated it it was ok
An odd story of traveling to London to visit the boy from ...the Bad Hat and giving him an old horse (narrowly saved from the glue factory) for his birthday. Not on par with the best of the series.
Oct 16, 2015 Kayla rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Madeline in London is just one of the books in the Madeline series. It follows Madeline and the rest of the boarding school girls to the London embassy for young Pepito's birthday. He gets the horse that he wanted, but it ends up causing mischief so it goes home with Madeline. These stories can be a fun way to introduce rhyme in the classroom. The students can also learn about cities in other countries, such as London and Paris.
Apr 04, 2014 Justus rated it it was ok
Shelves: baby
Maybe it would have been more enjoyable if I read some of the other Madeline books first. Cute story. Decent art. Fun rhymes, but really not that compelling.
Jessica Westerman
Oct 24, 2012 Jessica Westerman rated it liked it
Shelves: classic
Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans was not one of my favorite childrens books. I was excited to read the book because I remember watching the movie as a child. However, once I finished the book I was slightly disappointed. The book was written as a poem with every two lines rhyming. The beginning of each line, even if it was not the beginning of a new sentence was capitalized. This confused me at first. It also made it hard to read. The pictures are plain and do not have much color. Overall, ...more
Jan 17, 2015 D rated it it was amazing
I just love all Madeline stories and this was no exception:) My children always enjoy the time we spend reading the story and looking at the pictures.
Aug 05, 2016 Jackie rated it liked it
This book, selected by a six year for me, stands out for its happy art and rhyming happy storyline.
Dec 11, 2015 Judy rated it it was ok
Shelves: pic-books
There's too much going on in this story. I wonder what I would have thought of it when I was a child.
Simone Colwill
May 16, 2016 Simone Colwill rated it it was amazing
If you love Madeline, then you will love this adventure, set in London.
Sep 21, 2015 Bree rated it it was ok
mentions a horse being made into glue
annoying cadence in text
Sep 20, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Read all the Madeline books as a child on the must read to a child list
Sep 29, 2016 Lynley added it
Shelves: classic, picturebook
And that, children, is why we don't buy horses for presents.
Devi Barcena
Jul 19, 2015 Devi Barcena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
A Madeline book never fails to capture my daughter's attention.
2015 Reading Chal...: Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans 1 9 Sep 21, 2015 01:36PM
  • The Travels of Babar
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Dandelion
  • Curious George and the Puppies
  • Carl's Sleepy Afternoon
Ludwig Bemelmans was an Austrian author, an internationally known gourmand, and a writer and illustrator of children's books. He is most noted today for his Madeline books, six of which were published from 1939-1961. A seventh was discovered after his death and published posthumously in 1999.
More about Ludwig Bemelmans...

Madeline (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Madeline