Start by marking “The Rules Of Seduction (Rothwell Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rules Of Seduction (Rothwell Brothers, #1)

The Rules Of Seduction (Rothwell Brothers #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,859 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Dangerous. Sensual. Handsome as sin. Meet Hayden Rothwell, the shamelessly erotic hero of The Rules of Seduction and author Madeline Hunter’s most irresistible alpha male yet: a man of extraordinary passion and power, a man who can bring out the seductress in any woman.…

He enters her home without warning or invitation–a stranger of shadowy motives and commanding sensualit
Published October 31st 2006 by Dell (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Rules Of Seduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rules Of Seduction

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
382nd out of 2,569 books — 4,880 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasPersuasion by Jane Austen
100 Historical Romances To Read Before You Die
425th out of 1,054 books — 1,343 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniella
Jul 12, 2015 Daniella rated it liked it
The Rules of Seduction is like a heavily tarnished gem; you'd have to look past all its flaws to see its beauty and value. It was just too long and its pacing was too slow that I wouldn't blame those who abandoned it halfway through the story. God knows I nearly did.

But I'm glad I didn't.

Things only picked up at around the 70% marker, but what happened after then was worth the long, agonising wait.

I liked Hayden from the very start, but it was near the end that I really fell for him. He turned o
Caz
I haven’t read many books by this author, and judging from various reviews I’ve seen, she can be a bit hit-and-miss for many, but I enjoyed this, and was particularly impressed with the way she utilises a specific historical event (the stock market crash of 1825) to provide both background detail and impetus for her story.

Lord Hayden Rothwell, brother of the eccentric Marquess of Easterbrook is a highly successful and skilled financier, as well as being a mathematical genius on the quiet. He is
Sandra
Mais uma vez esta autora não desilude. Os meus agradecimentos à editora ASA pela excelente aposta nesta autora e pelo cuidado na tradução (realizado por Isabel Alves).

No entanto é de lamentar que a editora tenha optado por não publicar esta tetralogia pela ordem correcta.
***********************************************

Desta vez acompanhamos uma jovem mulher, Alexia Welbourne, cujo destino lhe ditou que perdesse a fortuna e o estatuto devido a maus negócios por parte de seu pai. Desta feita, Alexi
Kaila
Mar 18, 2009 Kaila rated it did not like it
The best thing about this book was the ending. The two main characters, Hayden and Alexia, are happy and in love as the story ends but the journey to get to that ending is plodding and tedious. Throughout the novel, Alexia blames Hayden for the ruination of her family and he is honor bound not to tell her the truth; that her two cousins, one of which she was in love with, are criminals. Throughout the plot the couple wonders if the other hates them and it is not until the very last pages that th ...more
Cruth
Aug 01, 2013 Cruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Author: Madeline Hunter
First published: November 2006
Length: 404 pages, 5324 kindle locations
Setting: Late Georgian (George IV) / Pre Victoria. Around 1825 (see below).
Sex: Reasonably explicit. Caring. Intimate.
Hero: Has a gift for numbers, and an obsession for them. Gets lost in his calculations.
Heroine: Fallen from grace - was once a lord's daughter, became a penniless cousin, and finally a companion/governess.
Includes: Excerpt from "The Lessons of Desire" by Madeline Hunter.

So we know going i
Mishelle LaBrash
Mar 25, 2010 Mishelle LaBrash rated it liked it
Hmmm... Not sure of this one.

It started out promising, than diverted to your typical tall, dark and brooding rogue, seducing an innocent, down on her luck, lady of good breeding. Oh and let's not forget she isn't your typical english rose, but rather plain, and firmly on the shelf....

Original? Not so much.

I will admit, 3/4 of the way through, it captivated me. There was a rather intelligent twist, that I didn't see coming. (Which is annoying, as I pride myself on my ability to guess the secret
Penny Watson
Nov 18, 2009 Penny Watson rated it really liked it
Quickie Review of The Rules of Seduction by Madeline Hunter

I attended a fantastic workshop at the New Jersey RWA conference this October, which addressed the importance of conflict in romance. Madeline Hunter gave the kicky-ass lecture, and made me curious about her own novels. So, I had a nice little chat with her at the book sale, and purchased The Rules of Seduction, a historical romance. It has a no-nonsense heroine with violet eyes (like it!), a tortured, mathematically brilliant hero (love
Mariazita
Sep 29, 2015 Mariazita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este livro agarrou-me logo nas primeiras paginas e não conseguimos parar,as personagens a história e a sua maneira cativante de escrever deixam-nos agarrados neste livro duma maneira deliciosa.
Neste livro conta-nos sobre Alexia Wellbourne, uma mulher sem fortuna, forçada a viver com os seus primos.
Apaixona-se pelo seu primo Benjamin Longworth, que comete suicídio de uma maneira intrigante. Apesar deste sentimento especial por Benjamin, Alexia vê despertar em si uma paixão e um desejo pelo mister
Ne
Dec 09, 2011 Ne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca
Um livro cheio de romance e erotismo, em que Madeline Hunter nos apresenta, como muito bem sabe, as regras da boa etiqueta dentro e fora da cama.
O que mais gosto nesta escritora é que ela nos transporta para a vida das personagens e nos faz querer acompanhar cada minuto desta.
À semelhança de Nora Roberts, esta autora pode pecar por dar tanto protagonismo ao casal principal, mas este facto é muitas vezes o que mais nos cativa, principalmente para quem gosta deste género de escrita e de história.
É
ஐ฿υκєτஐ
İlk kitap serideki en iyi kitapmış.Keşke epsilon ortadan başlayacağına baştan başlasaymış.
Esra
Mar 16, 2016 Esra rated it liked it
Kitabı zor da olsa bitirebildim..
Madeline Hunter kitapları okuduğum esnada hoşuma gidiyor aslında ama sonrasında bir Quinn, Kleypas ya da Garwood gibi etki bırakmıyor..
Yine de kısa bir zaman için keyifli bir yolculuk yaşatıyor..
Yalnız gelgelelim ki normalde ilk olarak çıkması gereken ancak son çıkan serinin ilk kitabı Kalbin Kuralları bu keyfi bile çok gördü bana..
Epsilon duy sesimi.. Şu Wattpad fenomeni diye dadandığınız gereksiz şeyleri çıkarmak yerine çevirilerinizi eskisi gibi kaliteli olmas
Keri
Nov 30, 2010 Keri rated it liked it
This is really 3 1/2 stars. I loved Hayden in this book and felt that he got painted the villain and was never vindicated. I am glad though Alexia figured it out for herself. Hayden and Alexia were a good match, but the metaphorical writing got tedious as times.
fleurette
Apr 15, 2015 fleurette rated it liked it
My first book by Madeline Hunter, I heard many good things about her.

I definitely liked the characters, especially Alexia who is not a typical historical romance heroine. She is completely capable of dealing with her problems and usually says what she thinks. Though, some of her actions seemed strange to me. The same with Hayden. I generally liked him but as a reader I was lacking on the insight into his feelings. Still, I appreciate that it is him who first says about his feelings. That is unus
ZaBeth  Marsh
Sadly, I read this book while recovering from an illness. I think it could have been a page turner but I could not hold my concentration that long. Having said that though, there were periods when I was able to completely lose myself within its pages which really is the highest compliment one can give any book and an author.

Alexia Welbourne is a classic romantic female. She is a poor relation dependent on the kindness of her cousins for her wellbeing. She does not let her situation get her down
Estefânia Botelho
Esta é a história de Alexia, cuja família, em decadência, faz com que tenha de viver em casa de uns primos. Apaixona-se por um deles e quando este morre tem uma forte desilusão.
Passado algum tempo também os primos entram em falência e tudo aponta para um responsável: Hayden. Este entra na vida de Alexia de forma abrupta e , de feitios totalmente diferentes, nada faz prever que acabem por se apaixonar!!Mas é mesmo isso que acontece.
Cada um movido pelo seu próprio interesse, Alexia e Hayden, proc
Tempo de Ler
Oct 06, 2012 Tempo de Ler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alexia vivia para recordar um antigo amor que lhe escapou tragicamente.
Hayden não era um homem que perseguisse mulheres, muito menos uma que não gostava minimamente dele e que o culpava de actos terríveis…mas o desejo tem vida própria e a falta de medo e embaraço desta mulher cativou-o desde o primeiro instante…

Ela acaba por descobrir que a austeridade deste homem sensato e eficiente não encerra fúria…mas sim ira - um fogo que a fazia constantemente esquecer que devia, acima de tudo, odiá-lo…
Um
Mag
Sep 29, 2011 Mag rated it did not like it
I was looking foward for this book. Something about the cover and the synopsis drove me to read it. However, the story is plain awful! It is well written, I can't deny it. But the plot is a big fat cliché, giving me that feeling of permanent déjà vu. It's that kind of story where de main characters disagree and dislike each others at the begining, but end up in each other's arms after a big proof of love and passionate love making.
I may not have liked Rules of seduction, but I see there are a lo
Elaine
I loved reading this engrossing story again. It's such a moving novel, with sex scenes that are so erotically described - so smoothly written. Hayden & Alexia become a loving married couple. Hayden is quite wonderful. The plot is marvellous, an original. I love this book!
Nicola O.
Jul 05, 2007 Nicola O. rated it it was ok
Shelves: historicals
The romance between the main characters of this book didn't work well for me. By the end, I was bought into it, but the early phase of courtship/desire just didn't work. There is a common pitfall with setting up the hero as someone the heroine has reason to fear or despise, and this book falls smack into it: I am just not convinced that the heroine could actually overcome her perfectly reasonable (from her POV) initial dislike of the hero quite so early on.

As a subject for character growth, I th
RIF
Oct 09, 2012 RIF rated it it was ok
I didnt like this book and had crossed ms hunter off my author list. Happily I read one of her medievals and suggest you try something else by this author, as it was quite good.

Big misunderstanding. He evicted her crooked cousins w/o explaining their less than straight shooting. Even her dead beloved, his old friend, ends up revealed a scoundrel, but naturally not revealed to her. Will anyone in her life that she trusts actually be worthy of it? Will she live in the dark forever? Since He's the
Nidofito
Aug 22, 2015 Nidofito rated it liked it
Madeline Hunter's The rules of seduction is a story that you enjoy more once you've spent some time thinking over it. It is not flashy and things are not spelled out for you. You only get glimpses of your characters' pasts and even though their actions are stated clearly at the end, much time is spent resolving all the financial mess the Longworth family had left. At the end though, you can see how the plot of the story has siginificant substance. You also get to appreciate the honor in Haydon a ...more
Toula
May 27, 2016 Toula rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon
Matilda BGR
Aug 24, 2016 Matilda BGR rated it liked it
Well, I wish this had been a four star book ... It's more like 3.5.

Mostly I loved Hayden and how much he loved Alexia. I didn't get *exactly* why he loved her so much, but I am a sucker for alpha men undone by their romantic feelings.

As always, Madeline Hunter provides a plot that requires a bit more attention than other romance novel fare. As always, I skimmed a lot of those conversations as I knew all would be wrapped up by the end. Something about money and banks and selling accounts and blac
Corduroy
I find Madeline Hunter books confusing, I've realized. While I'm reading them, I generally find them quite good. Afterward, however, I completely forget about them. I don't know what is going on there.

Premise: Alexia Welbourne is the poor relation of a family of prosperous country gentry-turned-bankers. A bunch of financial shenanigans suddenly and dramatically ruin her family, and Alexia initially blames the hero, Lord Hayden Rothwell, brother to the Marquess of Easterbrook, and partner in the
Virginia
Aug 30, 2011 Virginia rated it liked it
This has to be my favorite in the Rothwell series, by far. Alexia was far less annoying than her cousin, Roselyn, and Hayden is my favorite Rothwell. There is something about his severity and compassion (that still seems a severe mercy) that really makes me love him as a character. Alexia is practical and blunt and a good match to him. Lovely!

I'm a bit sad that I'm whizzing through Hunter's bibliography so quickly. I just may have to read her Medievals once I finish with her Regencies.
Ana Zuky
Feb 04, 2014 Ana Zuky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lido
Voltando aos romances de época(hahahahahahaha),devo dizer que gostei bastante do enredo que levou este livro,porem ele na categoria dos outros já lido e lançados pela editora arqueiro,devo dizer...este foi algo mais para morno do que quente.O romance continua bem clichê,mas achei que faltou algo nele que o deixasse na categoria dos outros,talvez tenha sido por causa do triangulo amoroso.Sim tem algo que leva ao triangulo,por Alexia gostar do primo,mesmo sabendo o que ele fez(e digo que não foi a ...more
Ashley
Jun 13, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it
I think this book would be 3.5 for me, but I went with the high end of 4 stars because I did like it. I would also recommend it.

Here's what I liked.

1. It is well written. Except for a few instances of unnatural dialogue, the writing was good.

2. I think Madeline Hunter must've spent a great deal of time researching in preparation for the plot, and I can really appreciate her attention to detail.

3. The plot was unique. I don't want to give talk much away, but I liked that it was different from so
Anna
Jun 07, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
Ashleighloveland
Apr 09, 2009 Ashleighloveland rated it really liked it
This is one of madeline hunters more sex saturated books. Still wonderful, and she keeps the sex scenes from getting boring (ususally) and the seduction part is just HOT. I also liked her exploration of how we can love and hate at the same time, and her embracing of her heroines practicality. The characters were well developed, the plot and conflict well maintained. Another great book by Hunter.
Margarida
Apr 07, 2014 Margarida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Madeline Hunter apresenta neste romance histórico com um toque de erotismo duas personagens com personalidades muito fortes: Lord Hayden, um homem com uma divida de honra que apresenta um ar frio e Alexia, uma jovem sem fortuna mas com uma inteligência e frontalidade sem igual.
O futuro dos dois é irremediavelmente alterado após um encontro onde a paixão leva Alexia a entregar-se ao homem que arruinou a sua família e Hayden a baixar as suas defesas como antes nunca o fez.
Esta paixão leva Alexia a
  • Just Wicked Enough (Rogues and Roses, #2)
  • After the Kiss
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • His Every Kiss (Guilty, #2)
  • Delicious
  • Written on Your Skin
  • The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • A Precious Jewel (Stapleton-Downes, #2)
  • Desire (Notorious, #3)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Shadowheart (Medieval Hearts, #2)
  • Don't Tempt Me (Fallen Women, #2)
  • Tempt the Devil
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • Alma Rebelde
  • Duke of Sin (Duke Trilogy, #1)
Madeline Hunter is a nationally bestselling author of historical romances who lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and two sons. Her books have won two RITA awards and seven nominations, and have had three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. In a parallel existence to the one she enjoys as a novelist, Madeline has a Ph.D. in art history and teaches at an East Coast university.
More about Madeline Hunter...

Rothwell Brothers (4 books)
  • Lessons of Desire (Rothwell #2)
  • Secrets of Surrender (Rothwell #3)
  • The Sins of Lord Easterbrook (Rothwell #4)