Start by marking “You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan” as Want to Read:
You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan

You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan

When you start a new job, you are in a temporary state of incompetence, faced with having to do the most when you know the least. Tom Neff and Jim Citrin, two of the world s experts on leadership and career achievement, know what it takes to succeed in a new position. Through compelling, first-hand stories, from CEOs like Jeffrey Immelt of GE and Bob Eckert of Mattel, You ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Three Rivers Press (CA) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about You're in Charge, Now What?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're in Charge, Now What?

Eileen
Jun 14, 2015 Eileen rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read at the beach yesterday; I had started this book last week but finished reading it as the sun was shining and I looked out to the ocean (a perfect place to think about my new role and how to manage the team) ! The two authors interviewed CEO's and leaders in all industries and wrote about what it takes to success in a new leadership position.The first 100 days pyramid is bookmarked for me and the list of how to spend your time has been my priority the past three weeks. I particul ...more
Leader Summaries
Aug 04, 2014 Leader Summaries rated it it was amazing
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Ya eres el jefe, ¿y ahora qué?, de Thomas J. Neff y James M. Citrin.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: liderazgo, características de un buen líder.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Ya eres el jefe, ¿y ahora qué?, Un método para tomar las riendas de cualquier organización: Ya eres el jefe, ¿y ahora qué?
Lucas
Feb 14, 2013 Lucas rated it really liked it
Chapter 1: The Countdown: Preparing for the Race Before You Reach the Starting Line

How do you get set to go when you're moving into a new industry or area?
1) Call on customers. Without being overly direct, you can learn how the industry is viewed.
2) Watch consumers. For consumer goods manufacturers or retailers, time spent in the store pays huge dividends.
3) Find retirees. Alumni know more about the industry and the company's culture than anyone else.
4) Read everything. The internet makes it eas
Al
Feb 29, 2012 Al rated it really liked it
Central Truths:

1. Leader who starts to make decision based on the premature assumption that her reality is the one that everybody else has may be in for a rude reality check.
2. When you start a new job, you are in a temporary state of incompetence. You cannot have all the answers.
3. If you cannot get a shared reality, political support, and alignment, you are in the ditch.
4. In troubled times, you need as many brains as possible working on the issue.
5. Focus on building a team of people with sim
Scott Brown
Mar 29, 2016 Scott Brown rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on creating a 100 day plan for taking on a new professional role. Great recommendation from a colleague and strong supporter of mine. Comes complete with a real life sample plan.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it
This quick read is packed with good advice for a new leader to follow in their first 100 days and the prep period leading up to the official start. I liked the 8-point framework and the many practical examples. My only substantial criticisms are that they relied very heavily on a small set of top CEOs and all of their scenarios involved the most senior roles of organizations. Their ideas are equally applicable to other levels of leadership, where the need is arguably greater.
Estevo Raposo
Aug 23, 2016 Estevo Raposo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro está centrado en experiencias de nuevos líderes en empresas americanas cotizadas y es del año 2005.

Dicho esto, es concreto, práctico y va al grano. Con lo que salvando las distancias de época, ubicación geográfica y tamaño de la empresa, me sirvió de mucho en mi actual coyuntura vital, así que, sin duda es recomendable a cualquiera que se sienta interpelado por el título tan descriptivo del libro.
Kellea
May 27, 2011 Kellea rated it it was amazing
This is a great, easy to read book, especially if you are preparing for a job interview. It offers practical information that is easily applicable to any situation,similar to a blueprint for success. This will definitely help you stay organized as a professional and move into a leadership position smoothly.
Linda J
Dec 29, 2013 Linda J rated it really liked it
As this genre goes, this book is more helpful than most. Good initial tactics that can evolve into more longterm strategies. Much less proscriptive and guilt-inducing than First 90 Days.
Kaushal Mahajan
Sep 21, 2013 Kaushal Mahajan rated it really liked it
Usefull and practical suggestions are embedded all through the book - real world examples by leaders (mostly CEOs of large US corporations), not just success stories but even of seroius missteps. A very balanced read according to me and very helpful.
M William
Aug 07, 2011 M William rated it really liked it
This book was recommended by my new boss as I was moving from a job supervising 2 people to leading a team of 7. The most helpful part was the advice to put together a 90 day plan. It helped me to get off to a great start.
Nicole
Jan 29, 2009 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find this book particular helpful as all the examples were really at the CEO level. Not quite where I'm coming from.
Kenneth
Jul 04, 2008 Kenneth rated it liked it
It provided some good insights about what to do what not to do what one is first put in charge of an organization. Easy read.
Andre Hoffmann
sound and common sense advice for those about to embark on a daunting corporate leadership challenge
Monica
Mar 10, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the best management books I've read. It helped me a lot through this transition
victor urbina
Nov 01, 2008 victor urbina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people managing other people
Recommended to victor by: fortune magazine
great biz book for anyone stepping into a new mgmt position at any level.
Adri
May 01, 2008 Adri rated it really liked it
How to take charge in first 100 days of a managerial position
Jorjan Loos
Sep 23, 2012 Jorjan Loos rated it really liked it
I should have read this BEFORE I started my new job!
Pearl
Oct 28, 2013 Pearl rated it it was amazing
Great ideas for starting as a leader in any capacity.
Randolph Breschini
Jul 21, 2015 Randolph Breschini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excellent...I USED IT successfully:))
Carlos Rendon
didn't finish.. too boring
Melissa
Jan 16, 2012 Melissa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Work recommendation...
Greg Grimes
Greg Grimes marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Margarita
Margarita rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Kataboy
Kataboy marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Helen Limburg
Helen Limburg rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2016
OKM
OKM marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
  • The First-Time Manager
  • Managing in the Next Society
  • The Project50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project That Matters!
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Harvard Business Review on Managing Yourself
  • Boundaries: Workbook
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • Communicate With Confidence!
  • How to Connect in Business in 90 Seconds or Less (Audiofy Digital Audiobook Chips)
  • The 80/20 Individual: How to Build on the 20% of What You do Best
  • How to Castrate a Bull: Unexpected Lessons on Risk, Growth, and Success in Business
  • Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance
  • Open: How We’ll Work, Live and Learn In The Future
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • Thinking Small: The Long, Strange Trip of the Volkswagen Beetle
  • Success Built to Last: Creating a Life that Matters
  • The Extraordinary Leader : Turning Good Managers into Great Leaders
  • Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose