Start by marking “Tap to Play!” as Want to Read:
Tap to Play!

Tap to Play!

Tap to play!

Blip has to reach the bar to win his game--but he needs your help. If he wins, he gets a surprise!

Bounce Blip, shake Blip, tilt him and tickle him!

Help Blip win the game in this spirited interactive picture book, perfect for reading--and playing--again and again!
Published October 7th 2014 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Tap to Play!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tap to Play!

Kristina Jean Lareau
Another Press Here rip-off that has none of the novelty or originality of the first.
Elisabeth
Oct 22, 2014 Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Salina Yoon is so fabulous, I'm disappointed she jumped on the trend of ripping off Press Here. I understand that this type of book is now a thing, like seek-and-find books, and soon they might even have their own designation...but right now it just smacks of copy-catism.
Angie
Dec 10, 2014 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone seems to be jumping on the interactive book bandwagon after the success of Press Here. While this is a fun little book it doesn't quite have the charm and uniqueness of the original.
Jocelin
Nov 22, 2014 Jocelin rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Really disappointed in this one. The illustrations are cute enough but, the story is not really engaging. Just ok.
Mary
Oct 29, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
Very similar to Press Here by Tullet, but written in first person (we're helping a red dot win a game, and therefore, a surprise). Silly and fun - but I prefer Press Here.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 18, 2014 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun interactive book. See also Hervé Tullet's Press Here.
Madison
Nov 16, 2016 Madison rated it it was amazing
My preschool aged child LOVED this book. He giggled, he tapped, and he spoke as we read together. Similar to Press Here by Herve Tullet, the book prompts you to do various actions to accomplish a goal. This book makes sure that reader and listener are completely engaged.
Mary Lee
Nov 27, 2016 Mary Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Likely inspired by Hervé Tullet's Press Here?
Brooke
Sep 21, 2016 Brooke rated it it was amazing
This is a fun and interactive book for kids. I would not use it for Storytime, but it is great to read to a child one-on-one.
Margaret Chind
Very funny and interactive! I read an advanced opt and these pages are fairly durable pages, I assume the finished book will be very durable to last the shaking, tilting, and tapping also. From the way I enjoyed The Monster at the End of this Book - I have high hopes for little people responses to this one. Definitely going to be fun...

Genre: Juvenile Fiction / Concepts / General
Ages 4 to 8, Grades P to 3
Pages: 40 Hardcover 8.5x8.5"
Date Published: October 7, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Sarah Walker
Dec 12, 2014 Sarah Walker rated it did not like it
A promising premise, but Press Here and Tap the Magic Tree remain FAR better choices for interactive picture books. Yoon misses the mark here, with a personified red dot trying (why?) to reach a bar at the top of the page. Unfortunately, the purpose of the narrative fails to inspire and the artwork feels flat. The decision to make the dot's main sound effect "bleep" seems ill-advised as well.
Amy Rae
Oct 07, 2014 Amy Rae rated it liked it
It's interesting that Tap to Play! overtly presents the book as a video game of sorts, a comparison that interactive books invite but don't usually acknowledge in the text. Other than that, it's standard interactive-book stuff: tap, blow, shake, speak, and so on. I'm sure this one's fun to read aloud with little kids, but it feels trend-chasing, similar to Patrick McDonnell's A Perfectly Messed-Up Story.
Megan
Dec 30, 2014 Megan rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I was disappointed in this book. Both of my daughters had the same reaction to this book that I did. We wanted it to have a super cute ending that would make the book enjoyable. The one good thing I do have to say is that the copy we read has very durable pages! I absolutely hate when interactive picture books for children have cheap and thin pages that will rip the first time a kid flips a flap or whatnot! They all need pages just like the ones in this book.
Tam
Jun 13, 2015 Tam rated it did not like it
My 8-year-old loves the book "Press Here" by Herve Tullet but didn't bother to finish "Tap to Play!". Even at his age he could tell this book was a knock off but he asked me why this one was so boring. One part says to turn the book over so we expected the next page would have the words upside down but it didn't. It doesn't tell you the bar is counting down so your child has to be smart enough to figure that out. Very disappointing book.
Katie Hall
Illustrator:
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Date: October 7, 2014
Genre: Fiction
This book would be a great book for beginning readers. This book helps the reader be active and involved in the book. Not a book I would use for read aloud, but would highly recommend for a student who is just learning to read.
Carol
Obviously this book is going to draw a lot of comparisons to "Press Here". However, I actually liked this one more. The character is cute and there is a bit of a storyline which is always nice in a book. Regardless of any similarities to other books, "Tap to Play" will be a fun book to read with toddlers.
Sheri
Nov 01, 2015 Sheri rated it really liked it
Read this book by the author recommended by T. Lazar. I had heard about from her new book and wanted to see this one. She is the author/illustrator and this one is like playing a video game so will appeal to kids up to age 8 or 10. The book asks the reader to follow his prompts to make things happen. Very clever ideas.
Kelsey
Oct 29, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was ok
Shelves: k-2nd, interactive
Age: K-2nd grade

To repeat the masses, I love Salina Yoon but this book fell way flat with no originality. It didn't feel like the red dot had any character so I didn't care about getting it to where it wanted to go. The disappearing bar was also a little weird. I believe it was trying to imitate video games but missed the mark. Seek out other interactive books and pass this one.
Carol
Dec 17, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
Another great interactive book. Readers will have to help this little red guy win the game by turning, tapping, flapping and other actions with the book. Read this one at story time with a couple of helpers!
Callie
Jan 31, 2015 Callie rated it really liked it
Read this with my 4 yr old. He really likes the actions and participating in it. The story is extremely basic, a video game character needs help to complete the game, but it's fun to be an active part of the story. We got this from the library and have read it multiple times.
Kristy
Dec 16, 2014 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
This book is quite similar to Press Here. It's quite interactive, and the kids loved it. I snatch up any book that allows kids to interact with every page! Yes, it does lack originality. However, Tap to Play makes for a great storytime with preschoolers.

Great for pre-k storytime.
Kelsey Rippe
Dec 13, 2015 Kelsey Rippe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edu-365
Tap to Play is an interactive book where readers are challenged to help Blip "win the game." Along the way, readers tilt, shake, touch, and talk to interact with Blip. This is a good book to help introduce and engage children with reading.
Sarah Ashburn
Nov 22, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it really liked it
Shelves: edu-365
Love this book for young children. I really enjoyed the interaction that takes place between the reader and the book. I think that this would be a great book for reading allowed to young children and also would be a good book for students who are struggling with motor skills. Very interactive!
Monique
Feb 03, 2015 Monique rated it liked it
I always love Salina Yoon's titles but this one was a little flat. Its great when reading one-on-one with a child or two but not as easy to use with a storytime group or class. Blip is cute and I enjoyed when he met his new friend at the end.
Kayla
Nov 13, 2014 Kayla rated it it was ok
As many others have said, this book is pretty much a blatant ripoff of Press Here by Herve Tullet. We typically like Salina Yoon's creativity, but this book lacks originality and I can't overlook that, cute illustrations notwithstanding.
Mary
This is another book in the style of Tap the Magic Tree and Press Here, but this one has an added bonus for gamers because of the main character and the ultimate goal of the book. It is a good read for an interactive storytime or participation between parent and child.
Heydi Smith
Apr 10, 2015 Heydi Smith rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun. It reminded me of a pinball game. What a great metafiction book for kids that really gets them into the action and having fun.
Melissa
Oct 26, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
I love Salina Yoon but this was just ok-- an acceptable readalike for fans of Tullet/interactive books.
Kristin
Nov 28, 2014 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, preschool
I have a feeling this book would have been better if it was read aloud. It's very much like Press Here by Herve Tullet, but I'm not sure it adds anything new to the "interactive" picture book realm.
Samantha
It's a gaming-inspired rip-off of Press Here, there's some fun to be had sure, but I'd rather stick with the original.

PreK-2.
  • If I Had a Raptor
  • Froodle
  • Colors versus Shapes
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Ling & Ting: Twice as Silly (Ling & Ting, #3)
  • I Loathe You
  • A Funny Little Bird
  • Very Little Red Riding Hood
  • Get Out of My Bath!
  • Cheetah Can't Lose
Salina Yoon is an award-winning author/illustrator of over 150 books for children, including Penguin and Pinecone, Penguin on Vacation, Penguin in Love, Penguin and Pumpkin, Penguin's Big Adventure, Found, and Stormy Night.

Her latest book, Be a Friend, was a Winter 2015-2016 Kids' Indie Next Pick. Among her other awards are a Scholastic Teachers Top 10 Picture Book for Penguin's Big Adventure, an
More about Salina Yoon...