Start by marking “Return to Hawk's Hill: Sequel to the Newbery Honor-Winning Incident at Hawk's Hill” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Running away from a vicious trapper, seven-year-old Ben MacDonald is separated from his family and eventually ends up on the shores of Lake Winnipeg, where he is taken in by a tribe of Metis Indians. This is the sequel to "Incident at Hawk's Hill, " a Newbery Honor book published in 1971.
Published April 1st 2000 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Hawk's Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Hawk's Hill

The Tale of Mr. Tod by Beatrix PotterThe Wind in the Willows by Kenneth GrahameBedtime for Frances by Russell HobanA Bargain for Frances by Russell HobanNightworld by Brian Carter
Books about Badgers
8th out of 20 books — 6 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHatchet by Gary PaulsenThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
High Lexile Books at your Library
50th out of 52 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne
Mar 01, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
After reading the first book, Incident at Hawk's Hill by Eckert, my class begged to read the second book. I enjoyed it, though I do understand their chief complaint that it repeated many ideas in from the first book. What I liked best about it was its theme: do not judge others or their actions until you know them. My students wanted more action and mostly do not care to think about theme unless forced to:).

So our final on this one was not a test, but any essay detailing why they liked or hated
Catherine
Feb 27, 2014 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Although Eckert wrote this 25 years after writing Incident at Hawk's Hill, it flows seamlessly. I love how both of these stories promote understanding and love of differences in people and between people. The only bad race is a bad human or animal.

The writing is beautiful and the relationships between the characters are strong.

Thanks for the sequel Mr. Eckert.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it really liked it
Sequel to Incident at Hawk's Hill, I had to read it to see what happened. I enjoy it, a nice comfortable story with a good ending. My sixth graders enjoy it as well.
Tammy
Mar 30, 2015 Tammy rated it liked it
Didn't love it like the Incident at Hawk's Hill. But I do think adventurous boys would enjoy the story. It's been a while since I read juvenile fiction!
Lynette
Jun 17, 2015 Lynette rated it liked it
A sweet children's book I ran across. It's a sequel, so now I want to read its predecessor.
Scott Williams
b52e1b55-0df2-42bf-95fd-157e80c4005f
Rebecca
Feb 16, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Interesting sequel with an exciting storyline, in parts a bit more like a textbook (on Cree/Metis lifestyle and the history of government and settler interactions with the natives) than a story but still a fun, educational, quick read.
Julie
Apr 26, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok
Disappointing -- the original Hawk's Hill is fabulous, and made more incredible by the fact that it is based on a true story. This one is ever-so-much more contrived. Probably the only time I've ever been disappointed by Allan Eckert!
Creighton
Jan 27, 2011 Creighton rated it really liked it
This book is really good. Its sad how the boys badger died but great how he handled it. I really think you should reconmend it.
Becky
Sep 03, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, animal
A little preachy and not nearly enough animal interaction for my taste, but a good read.
Ines
Feb 04, 2009 Ines rated it it was ok
A good plot... but just too much detail!
Sheridan Therrien
Sheridan Therrien rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was ok
May 18, 2016
Mary Walker
Mary Walker marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2016
Lukas
Lukas marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Lukas
Lukas marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Laura rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
Kristen Sharpe
Kristen Sharpe marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Book Annelid
Book Annelid rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Debb
Debb rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Lane Filer
Lane Filer rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Rick Moore
Rick Moore rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Crystal & Gem
  • Mousenet
  • 101 Great Science Experiments
  • Arf (Bowser and Birdie #2)
  • Watchdog and the Coyotes
  • The Case of the Midnight Rustler (Hank the Cowdog, #19)
  • Tales From The Underground: A Natural History Of Subterranean Life
  • Cross-Country Cat
  • Compost: The natural way to make food for your garden
  • Adventures of a Sea Hunter: In Search of Famous Shipwrecks
  • Secrets of Tamarind
  • A Handbook to Literature
  • Soup for President (Soup, #3)
  • If Stones Could Speak: Unlocking the Secrets of Stonehenge
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Tragedies
  • Modern Fairies, Dwarves, Goblins, and Other Nasties: A Practical Guide by Miss Edythe McFate
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
Allan W. Eckert was an American historian, historical novelist, and naturalist.

Eckert was born in Buffalo, New York, and raised in the Chicago, Illinois area, but had been a long-time resident of Bellefontaine, Ohio, near where he attended college. As a young man, he hitch-hiked around the United States, living off the land and learning about wildlife. He began writing about nature and American hi
More about Allan W. Eckert...