Start by marking “Return to Hawk's Hill: Sequel to the Newbery Honor-Winning Incident at Hawk's Hill” as Want to Read:

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Running away from a vicious trapper, seven-year-old Ben MacDonald is separated from his family and eventually ends up on the shores of Lake Winnipeg, where he is taken in by a tribe of Metis Indians. This is the sequel to "Incident at Hawk's Hill, " a Newbery Honor book published in 1971.
Published April 1st 2000 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Hawk's Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Hawk's Hill

The Tale of Mr. Tod by Beatrix PotterThe Wind in the Willows by Kenneth GrahameBedtime for Frances by Russell HobanA Bargain for Frances by Russell HobanNightworld by Brian Carter
Books about Badgers
9th out of 24 books — 7 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHatchet by Gary PaulsenThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
High Lexile Books at your Library
49th out of 52 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne
After reading the first book, Incident at Hawk's Hill by Eckert, my class begged to read the second book. I enjoyed it, though I do understand their chief complaint that it repeated many ideas in from the first book. What I liked best about it was its theme: do not judge others or their actions until you know them. My students wanted more action and mostly do not care to think about theme unless forced to:).

So our final on this one was not a test, but any essay detailing why they liked or hated
Catherine
Although Eckert wrote this 25 years after writing Incident at Hawk's Hill, it flows seamlessly. I love how both of these stories promote understanding and love of differences in people and between people. The only bad race is a bad human or animal.

The writing is beautiful and the relationships between the characters are strong.

Thanks for the sequel Mr. Eckert.
Tammy
Didn't love it like the Incident at Hawk's Hill. But I do think adventurous boys would enjoy the story. It's been a while since I read juvenile fiction!
Lynette
A sweet children's book I ran across. It's a sequel, so now I want to read its predecessor.
Scott Williams
b52e1b55-0df2-42bf-95fd-157e80c4005f
Rebecca
Interesting sequel with an exciting storyline, in parts a bit more like a textbook (on Cree/Metis lifestyle and the history of government and settler interactions with the natives) than a story but still a fun, educational, quick read.
Julie
Disappointing -- the original Hawk's Hill is fabulous, and made more incredible by the fact that it is based on a true story. This one is ever-so-much more contrived. Probably the only time I've ever been disappointed by Allan Eckert!
Creighton
This book is really good. Its sad how the boys badger died but great how he handled it. I really think you should reconmend it.
Ines
A good plot... but just too much detail!
Renee Faller
Renee Faller marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
ron botkins
ron botkins marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Trixie
Trixie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Kor314
Kor314 marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Christine Steven
Christine Steven marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Adventureman
Adventureman marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Cooper Finkbeiner
Cooper Finkbeiner marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Frances Ardito
Frances Ardito marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Return to the Island (Mackinac Island Trilogy, #3)
  • 101 Great Science Experiments
  • Soup for President (Soup, #3)
  • Skippack School
  • Attack at the Arena (Imagination Station, #2)
  • Adventures of a Sea Hunter: In Search of Famous Shipwrecks
  • The Mystery of the Star Ruby (The Boxcar Children, #89)
  • Tirzah
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
  • Compost: The natural way to make food for your garden
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
  • Stormy
  • A Handbook to Literature
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Tragedies
  • Secrets of Tamarind
  • If Stones Could Speak: Unlocking the Secrets of Stonehenge
  • Time to Smell the Roses (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #4)
  • Modern Fairies, Dwarves, Goblins, and Other Nasties: A Practical Guide by Miss Edythe McFate
Allan W. Eckert was an American historian, historical novelist, and naturalist.
More about Allan W. Eckert...
Incident at Hawk's Hill The Frontiersmen A Sorrow in Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh Wilderness Empire (Winning of America) That Dark and Bloody River