Start by marking “I Cover the Waterfront” as Want to Read:
I Cover the Waterfront

I Cover the Waterfront

Max Miller was a lonely reporter on the waterfront beat for six years when he first typed, I have been here so long that even the seagulls must recognize me.... That was more than 70 years ago, and while the country was in the depths of the Depression, I Cover the Waterfront made a quiet initial appearance. Neither the 28-year-old author nor his publisher expected much fro ...more
Published October 25th 2003 by Barricade Books

To ask other readers questions about I Cover the Waterfront, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Cover the Waterfront

Josh Sherman
Feb 13, 2014 Josh Sherman rated it it was amazing
Paul Haspel
Mar 10, 2016 Paul Haspel rated it really liked it
Shelves: san-diego
I suppose there can be a mysterious sort of serendipity in the way a book finds its time and its audience – sometimes, in ways that the book’s author does not anticipate. Such was certainly the case in 1932, when Max Miller, a 28-year-old San Diego waterfront reporter and aspiring novelist, wrote a little book titled I Cover the Waterfront, and looked on in astonishment as the book became a runaway best-seller. Miller may not have realized it at the time, but he was capturing, in a laconic and e ...more
Pamela
“This book has the touch of something dangerously like pure genius.” – Harry Carr, Los Angeles Times

To truly appreciate the witty sardonic humor of Max Miller’s cult classic book - I Cover the Waterfront - one need step back to the economic depressed times of blue collar America in the wake of the roaring twenties. Miller’s 1932 expose memoir was, for the era, considered edgy, provocative, and a bit risqué, in addition to facetiously wry. However, in today’s politically correct, environmentally
Joyce Roderick
May 18, 2012 Joyce Roderick rated it really liked it
This is one of the books I that i enjoyed reading and that I cherish as an object. I picked up a copy at a charity book sale. When I opened it, I noticed that it was a first edition. Cool. I flipped another page a found the bookplate of Claire Luce (Booth) and her signature below the plate. Whoa, totally worth the hardcover price of $1, a great book, too.
Jeannette
Oct 14, 2010 Jeannette rated it liked it
The charm of this book lies in all the ways that it's dated: in its tone and its depictions of San Diego of the 20s. Yet somehow none of it felt that foreign. The city has changed vastly, yet its past isn't that hard to summon up. And certain vignettes, like jaded-at-age-28-year-old Max, snuggling up to a young seal on the beach one night, will stick with me for a long time.
Tim Cronin
Nov 29, 2015 Tim Cronin rated it it was amazing
This is a gem of a book I've been wanting to read for a long time. Obviously influenced by Mark Twain, Miller's wit and observation is evident. But it's the poignancy of his writing that stays with the me.
May 20, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nf
Sghort stories from a 1930s San Diego water front news writer. Nothing totally stands out but they all coem together to give you an interestign feeling of the tiem adn place. Worth the read. Thanks to David for suggesting.
Joe Rodeck
Aug 02, 2012 Joe Rodeck rated it liked it
Overrated. Some nice vignettes, but mostly unremarkable. I suppose many give it a lot of existential or zen points. Would recommend more to So Cal shore dwellers. Also for a fourth grade reading list.
Meakin Armstrong
Meakin Armstrong rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Janice CA
Janice CA rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2008
Mark Johnson
Mark Johnson rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Joe Rogers
Joe Rogers rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
David
David rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2007
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2010
Bill Hines
Bill Hines rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
Tiffanie
Tiffanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Hellacrickets
Jan 08, 2014 Hellacrickets rated it really liked it
Vignettes! Nothing beats a vignette when you're in the mood for a vignette. Short, simple, sweet.
Peter Chiu
Peter Chiu rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2012
Stephen Gamboa
Stephen Gamboa rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2009
Jacob Lux
Jacob Lux rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Debra Hennessey
Debra Hennessey rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Andrew Conklin
Andrew Conklin rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Josh Cohen
Josh Cohen rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2009
Heather Mangan
Heather Mangan rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2014