I Cover the Waterfront

I Cover the Waterfront

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Max Miller was a lonely reporter on the waterfront beat for six years when he first typed, I have been here so long that even the seagulls must recognize me.... That was more than 70 years ago, and while the country was in the depths of the Depression, I Cover the Waterfront made a quiet initial appearance. Neither the 28-year-old author nor his publisher expected much fro...more
Published October 25th 2003 by Barricade Books

Josh Sherman
Jeannette
The charm of this book lies in all the ways that it's dated: in its tone and its depictions of San Diego of the 20s. Yet somehow none of it felt that foreign. The city has changed vastly, yet its past isn't that hard to summon up. And certain vignettes, like jaded-at-age-28-year-old Max, snuggling up to a young seal on the beach one night, will stick with me for a long time.
Joyce Roderick
This is one of the books I that i enjoyed reading and that I cherish as an object. I picked up a copy at a charity book sale. When I opened it, I noticed that it was a first edition. Cool. I flipped another page a found the bookplate of Claire Luce (Booth) and her signature below the plate. Whoa, totally worth the hardcover price of $1, a great book, too.
Sghort stories from a 1930s San Diego water front news writer. Nothing totally stands out but they all coem together to give you an interestign feeling of the tiem adn place. Worth the read. Thanks to David for suggesting.
Joe
Overrated. Some nice vignettes, but mostly unremarkable. I suppose many give it a lot of existential or zen points. Would recommend more to So Cal shore dwellers. Also for a fourth grade reading list.
Hellacrickets
Vignettes! Nothing beats a vignette when you're in the mood for a vignette. Short, simple, sweet.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Jared Clinton
Jared Clinton marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Sarah Keh
Sarah Keh marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Edward Smyth
Edward Smyth marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Guyla
Guyla marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Matt Potter
Matt Potter marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Jason Manford
Jason Manford marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Mardi
Mardi added it
Nov 05, 2013
Desiree Alessandra
Desiree Alessandra marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Brian Herrick
Brian Herrick marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2012
Always the Mediterranean I'm Sure We've Met Before: The Navy in Korea The little town with the funny name The Beginning of a Mortal second house from the corner,the