Start by marking “The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese Food” as Want to Read:
The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese Food

The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese Food

The long-awaited cookbook from The Slanted Door, James Beard award-winning chef Charles Phan's beloved San Francisco Vietnamese restaurant.
Charles Phan opened The Slanted Door in San Francisco's Mission District in 1995, inspired by the food of his native Vietnam. Since then, The Slanted Door has moved across town to the historic Ferry Building and has grown into a world
Published October 7th 2014 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Slanted Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slanted Door

Vee Paige
Jan 06, 2015 Vee Paige rated it it was amazing
This surely got me over my book slump. :) I love the Slanted Door restaurant in San Francisco and it's usually my first stop when I visit the Bay Area. Recipes I tried: the vietnamese lamb chops (marinated in shallots,lemongrass) with a tamarind dip and the fried chicken recipe (I like the turmeric and cayenne pepper in the coating). Both were fantastic. What I like about the book is you can imagine the taste just by reading the ingredient list. I wanted to try the clay pot chicken but the palm ...more
thuy
Nov 12, 2014 thuy rated it really liked it
While I have not yet been to The Slanted Door restaurant, I have heard many sing its praises. Having grown up eating traditional Vietnamese food made by my mother, I am always a little wary of Vietnamese restaurants that claim to be “modern.” I think it’s just my inner prejudice that always wants to eat food that tastes like mom’s home cooking. However, I knew that this book as going to be different and I went into it with an open mind.

The presentation of this book is fantastic. It’s an oversiz
Pam
Nov 26, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Let me begin by saying that The Slanted Door is a big, heavy, absolutely gorgeous cookbook! This is one that you would not hesitate to give as a gift either to someone extra special or to yourself. It’s that nice. It has everything you could want in a cookbook: beautiful photos, unbelievable recipes and a story to tell. Perhaps the story part is not what you look for in a cookbook, but for some I do. These are the cookbooks that I read like a novel, from cover to cover.

It is basically the story
Teresa
Nov 09, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it
I have to admit that sometimes I skip over the "stories about the restaurant industry" that permeate restaurant cookbooks. I usually haven't been to the restaurants and have no personal connection to the restaurants, I'm here for the recipes. With Slanted Door I found myself actually reading it, the stories are full of humor or the interesting biographies of a South Vietnamese family forced to flee their home.
The cookbook itself is shot in the same modern, muted palette as the subtitle would lea
Heydi Smith
Dec 08, 2016 Heydi Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-non-fic
A beautifully laid-out book with full page pictures. The recipes I can't say I'd ever make but I'd love to eat them. To that end, I'd love to go to this restaurant and order one of everything.
Matt
Dec 28, 2015 Matt rated it liked it
What is it like to read a book of recipes as any other kind of book? In this case, it’s fun to try! I deviated from this approach, however, reading the first few essays, then the ingredients, then the other essays, and only skimming the numbered instructions. The succinct descriptions at the top of each page provide very helpful tips, and give a good sense of the amount of effort required. The author tells bits of Vietnamese and San Franciscan histories that reveal some of the personal and ...more
Jan
Sep 30, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
I work at a library, so every now and then, when there is not much to do, I browse the cookbook section looking for those wonderful coffee table type cookbooks, with gorgeous photographs and recipes. This one is a keeper. The recipes look accessible and wonderful and I love the story of the restaurant and its founder. It is truly a beautiful book.
Cariadne
Oct 07, 2014 Cariadne rated it it was ok
It's spare in its art, would've liked more straight on colorful food shots that focused on the recipes. In this instance, I would've liked more color than the cool gray and even black and white images sprinkled in the book. It would've given it more life.

I enjoyed the small references -- can't really call them stories -- of what the significance was to the recipes. I would've liked more depth around his mother and the specialness around a chicken recipe, Bill Clinton's visit and more color aroun
Pixie
Jun 29, 2015 Pixie rated it liked it
3.5 stars. this book is organized around Phan's journey through his various restaurants. There are a few recipes that seem the same as the ones in his Vietnamese Home Cooking book, but the production values on this one are much better. A plus for me in reading this book is that, living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I have access to the same ingredients used at the restaurant and in the book. There are a couple of Dungeness crab recipes I want to try, when they are in season. I probably won't be ...more
Lynnie
Aug 07, 2015 Lynnie rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
I almost gave this one star but I did like a few of the recipes in it, so I'm feeling generous.

That said, I've rarely met a cookbook I didn't like & I had high expectations for this one because of the restaurant's reputation. I think that if you love the Slanted Door restaurant, you'll enjoy the stories contained in this cookbook about the restaurant's evolution, but since I just wanted some tasty recipes, I was an unappreciative audience.

As for the recipes, with the exception of a few of
May 31, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
When I read cookbooks about southeast Asian food, even modern twists on classic dishes, it's usually to get ideas of which flavors go together, but I rarely feel like I could actually make the recipes at home. Not true with 'The Slanted Door'! Beautiful, inspiring food-- and I feel like I could add most of the dishes to my own meal plan without too much hassle, which is unbelievably exciting. The oxtail stew, the ginger beef, the lemongrass broth-- incredible. I'm making green papaya salad this ...more
Alexandra
Mar 08, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Exquisit! I love that there is a photo for every recipe, enticing me to try it. The ingredients are mostly very friendly to everyday cooking and the recipes aren't overly involved. I've flagged almost the entire book and we've already tried one of the fish recipes and it was easy and delicious! Can't wait to try more! My only disappointment was that the desert recipes are catered to 12-15 servings. Not exactly easy for a home cook. But overall it is one of my favorite cook books!
xtina
Oct 14, 2015 xtina rated it it was ok
This book is gorgeous. And it knows it.

Can I get my money back and just go there for dinner? (Or buy an actually useful cookbook?)

Save this for those who are looking for a pretty and self-congratulatory coffee table book. Zzz Zzz
Santiago Giraldo
Apr 29, 2015 Santiago Giraldo rated it really liked it
Beautifully edited book, though I have to try out a couple of the recipes and then the stars may go up or down. Have only tried the shaking beef and it was excellent! The food at the slanted door is really good actually and the recipes are actually doable for the most part in a home kitchen.
Beverly
Oct 07, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooks-books
Oh my goodness, I want to cook everything in this book. I will update the review after my friends and I get together and cook 10+ dishes.
James Eckman
Jun 17, 2015 James Eckman rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking, diy
Fusion Vietnamese cuisine, most would be difficult to cook at home except for special occasions. No pantry list but some basic sauces listed. I suspect I would enjoy his home cooking book more.
Doan
Dec 13, 2014 Doan rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic! Gorgeous pictures, fascinating stories and great recipes. I'm going to make some of these items next week.
Janet
Mar 09, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Reservation made for Sunday! From the food to the wine and tea service to dessert, this place looks like a class act! The only recipe I might try to recreate at home is the Lemon Meringue Tarts.
Robert Lobis
Robert Lobis rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Sharon Thomas
Sharon Thomas rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
David Bock
David Bock rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Holly Pablo
Holly Pablo rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Adrien Fisher
Adrien Fisher rated it liked it
May 01, 2015
Quan Lam
Quan Lam rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Karen Thompson
Karen Thompson rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
Nancy Wagner
Nancy Wagner rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Heather Orton
Heather Orton rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Andrew Pask
Andrew Pask rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Flour + Water: Pasta
  • Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving
  • Heritage
  • A Change of Appetite: Where Delicious Meets Healthy
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere
  • One Good Dish
  • Huckleberry: Recipes, Stories, and Secrets from Our Kitchen
  • Asian Pickles: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyond
  • A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • A Kitchen in France: A Year of Cooking in My Farmhouse
  • Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
  • Mastering Pasta: The Art and Practice of Handmade Pasta, Gnocchi, and Risotto
  • The Pizza Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Make Napoletano to New York Style, Deep Dish and Wood-fired, Thin Crust, Stuffed Crust, Cornmeal Crust, and More
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces