Start by marking “How To Write Really Badly” as Want to Read:
How To Write Really Badly

How To Write Really Badly

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Chester Howard can see Joe’s project ‘How to Write Neatly’ can only be a disaster. Joe makes a terrible mess of his work, jumbling letters and numbers up together. But a project called ‘How to Write Really Badly’ - now there’s something Joe can do better than anyone else. And Chester is about to find there’s a lot more to Joe than he expected . . .
Published March 1996 by Mammoth (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about How To Write Really Badly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Write Really Badly

Amrin Nahar
This is one of my favouritestories by Anne fine. Howard steps foot in a new school where things are very different from the schools he has been to before. All the pupils are well mannered and courteous which he finds very strange. He develops a wonderful friendship with his desk mate Joe. The story highlights how children learnin different ways and that everyone has strengths in particular areas. In Joe's case his strength is 'how to write really badly.' I really enjoyed the humour in this book, ...more
Jane Hargrave Montaigu
Anne Fine, the second Children’s Laureate, a highly-regarded and prolific writer of fiction for both children and adults, has won several awards. How to Write Really Badly, published in 1996, is a light-hearted, very funny story which takes place in a school setting. The story conveys the profound message that everyone is to be valued, that people should not be judged by appearances or on a superficial basis and that fellow classmates may well have hidden talents and strengths which are not imme ...more
Catherine Smith
‘How to Write Really Badly’ is a book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. Even as an adult, I found it fast paced, witty and entertaining. The story follows Chester Howard, a new pupil in a school, who is forced to sit next to a child that has severe difficulties in writing. It is written in first person, therefore from the young boy’s opinion.

This book would be really well suited to a KS2 class, probably for independent reading, as I would certainly encourage students to read this. Although ther
Hibulle
Vraiment plaisant, on compatit, on rit et on se souvient de nos propres années d'école...
Titilope
This was one of the first books that I read from beginning to end. I remember loving it as a 5 year old; and reading it every day, until I finally decided, maybe it's time for me to get a new one. I ended up stealing the book and never returning it back to the library. I wonder if I'll still be able to find it somewhere. Anyway, yes. It's an awesome book... Or maybe I'm just blinded by childhood memories. Either of the two.
Neill Smith
Chester has been sent to a new school in which the students are unremittingly well-behaved and supportive. When he is partnered with Joe, a student who is supremely challenged by the sorts of things school measures and treasures. When students are assigned a “How-to” book as a project Chester helps Joe write a book about his one outstanding academic skill.
Agentb721
All about a boy called Chester but everybody calls him howard. He next to a boy called Joe who writes really badly. Mrs tate gives the class an assinment to write a How to book. Joe picks how to write really neatly. Chester tells him he's writing the wrong "Book". He helps Joe over the course of 5 days.But his life gets turned upside-down along the way...
Isabel Jazmín
No sé por qué no tiene la portada, aunque el ISBN es el correcto para la edición en español.

Me gustaron los nombres que les pusieron a los personajes, supongo que si lo hubiera leído en inglés me hubiera chocado el cambio pero Martín Vicente y Javier Pastor me convencieron.
Mark Warner
A sweet story about the arrival of a new kid at school... and his growing friendship with another member of the class. A good read for the classroom too... and gives an interesting insight into the differing abilities and needs of different children.
Aellai
Ni tan bueno, ni tan malo. Regular.
Es un cuento para niños, no es que me gusten mucho, por eso se queda en 2, mas bien 2.5
Lindo y con un buen mensaje, pero no lo suficiente.
Mélanie
Un roman qui prend place dans une classe. Un texte à la fois rempli de sarcasmes, mais vrai. Je me suis bien bidonnée !
Rowan
Rowan added it
Jul 14, 2015
Katerina Stournara
Katerina Stournara marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Mirela Radanovic
Mirela Radanovic marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Guerre
Guerre added it
May 17, 2015
Sandra
Sandra added it
May 13, 2015
Bookmogul
Bookmogul marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Valence
Valence marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Nguyễn Thị
Nguyễn Thị marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Colette V.
Colette V. marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • Pongwiffy: A Witch Of Dirty Habits
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Hello Mr Twiddle (Happy Days)
  • The Adventures of Milly-Molly-Mandy
  • Video Rose
  • Millions
  • Blart: The Boy Who Didn't Want to Save the World
  • Molesworth
  • Taking Care of Terrific
  • Someday Angeline (Someday Angeline, #1)
  • Moondial
  • The Catalogue of the Universe
  • William the Outlaw (Just William, #7)
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • Long Way Home
  • 33 Minutes
Though readers often find themselves inadvertently laughing aloud as they read Anne Fine's novels, as she herself admits, "a lot of my work, even for fairly young readers, raises serious social issues. Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny." In 1994, this unique combination of humour and r ...more
More about Anne Fine...
Madame Doubtfire The Tulip Touch Flour Babies The Diary of a Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #1) Bill's New Frock