Start by marking “Goggle-eyes” as Want to Read:
Goggle-eyes

Goggle-eyes

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  420 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Kitty is not pleased with her mother's boyfriend, especially his views on the anti-nuclear issue, until unexpected events prompt her, after all, to help him find his place in the family.
Published May 4th 1993 by Puffin (first published 1989)

Natalia
Sep 17, 2011 Natalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny" (Fine, 1994.)

I recall reading this book in year five and feeling really grown up; it was and still is more of a mature take on children’s literature. I think it would suit upper key stage 2 readers as it has some tricky words but could encourage the use of a dictionary amongst less confident readers. Fine touches on the delicate issue of broken fam
Dasha
Apr 19, 2011 Dasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice book.
I think I would have liked it when I was little.
Sara Darr
Goggle-eyes is about a girl called Kitty, whose mother and father have divorced. Her mother then meets Gerald who Kitty takes an absolute dislike to and nicknames him 'Goggle-Eyes'. She makes every effort to ruin the relationship between him and her mother. However towards the end of the story Kitty acknowledges that Gerald 'Goggle-eyes is a nice person and realises that she actually misses him when he's not around.

Goggle-eyes is written in informal english with an element of humour, so children
Tom
Jun 13, 2015 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lorna Holland
Considering 'Goggle-Eyes' is a children's book, I found it to be a lot more adult than I was expecting. The main character/narrator, Kitty, has a very reflective attitude which I'm not sure many children of that age actually have, and her views on environmentalism etc seemed really mature and developed. Speaking of environmentalism, I actually learned quite a lot about the CND from this book.

One thing I particularly liked was the fact that Gerald isn't portrayed as the stereotypical 'evil' step
annik
Feb 02, 2016 annik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Захотела продолжить знакомство с Энн Файн — и залипла на весь субботний вечер. «Самокат» меня несказанно радует, такие чудные книжки увидели свет и нашли своего читателя благодаря ему <3
А еще меня ждет целая стопка новоприобретенных книжулек, так что я уверена, что это не последний раз, когда я буду петь оду обожания в адрес издательства.

О книге. В каком-то смысле она напомнила мне «Правду или последствия» Анники Тор — тоже подростки в центре внимания. Если у Тор печатное слово было посвящено
K. Carters
I thought it was ok. I liked the story and the conflict of a new threat entering a broken down family but felt the characters weren't as appealing as they could have been. For example, I didn't buy into the Mum caring about the planet more than her own freedom/family. It didn't fit the rest of the story. I also felt Kitty was a little too forgiving to Goggle Eyes. I wanted her to make him work really hard for her trust. The ending was satisfying and I enjoyed how it turned out.
Fuka Hatayama
1.Penguin Readers Stage3

2. 5/7 105min

3. Goggle-Eyes, missiles, protest, family, court, scissors

4. A child dies without food every few seconds but we spend a million pounds every day on nuclear missiles.
I'm sad like this situation. We must know about many poor people suffer from famine.

5. Family problem is very difficult, but family is one of the most important part of our life.
Nuclear missiles are very dangerous, so I hope missiles will be removed from this world.
Amna C
Feb 04, 2016 Amna C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favourite books when I was young. It was really nice re-reading it as an adult. I have never been through anything resembling broken marriages and new dads or moms but I remember reading this book when I was young and feeling bad for all the children who got stuck in situations as such. That probably explains why I also loved the Suitcase Kid by Jaqueline Fernandez so much. Good Job Anne Fine.
Chris Maxwell
Aug 25, 2015 Chris Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favourite books when I was young. It really holds up to a re-reading as an adult. Anne Fine really knows something about children, and humanity. And she doesn't patronise.
Misaki Arafuka
Oct 31, 2012 Misaki Arafuka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
-level
Penguin Readers 3
-Time
90min

-7words
girl/hate/man/nuclear/protest/court /happy

-Question
1) The main character was against nuclear power, what do you think about it?
- I am also against it because it is too expensive. The government have to spend money on other things.

2) A mother changed her boyfriend many times, and her daughter didn't like it. If you were the girl, how do you feel?
- I want my mother to be happy, but probably I also feel bad.

This book made me think about my family and nuclear
Amelie
Feb 12, 2014 Namiko added it
It is "Full-House" good.
Sana Shahid
Sep 20, 2014 Sana Shahid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read! its so much fun!
Resident Optimist
While Anne Fine is a really good writer, I was made to read this in school, I hate being dictated what to read and the fact that we read it over a month or so made me even more bored. I hate having books dragged on when I could've read it in one sitting. It was a good book though and quite entertaining at some points. I recommend this one for all pre-teens who are just starting out with their reading.
Shiho Kawai
Nov 26, 2012 Shiho Kawai rated it liked it
-Penguin Readers, level 3
-Time: 80 minutes
-7 Word Sumamary: Mum, Boyfriend, Old, Daughter, Family, Protest, Potato
-Discussion Questions:
1. If your mother has boyfriend, what should you do?
I cannot make nice with him, because I have father.
2. Do you often clean up your room?
I sometimes do that, but my room is not dirty.
Kristina
Jun 24, 2013 Kristina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion the story was a little too cheesy and predictable. Perhaps I am a little biased because of my tendency to not like this genre of books as well. Also the fact that I was reading it in school and I constantly had to re read chapters because I was much ahead of others must not have helped either.
Harriet
Aug 06, 2010 Harriet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
An extremely cleverly written and funny book. Although meant for children this book is good enough to be read by anyone Anne fine is a wonderful writer.
Miriam Laverick
Feb 01, 2011 Miriam Laverick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent children’s book, which I discovered recently as part of my children’s writing ‘research’. I remember the TV series from my childhood.
Colin
Jun 12, 2011 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a little dated but Goggle Eyes is enjoyably grounded in the real world.
Dani Moore
Aug 05, 2010 Dani Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun kids book for kids whose divorced parents are dating.
Candycloud
May 17, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1990
TPL
Ivy-Mabel Fling
Ivy-Mabel Fling rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Madhuri
Madhuri marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Isabelle Yip
Isabelle Yip marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Nyny
Nyny rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Goggle-eyes 1 15 Jun 12, 2009 08:24AM
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • The Wool-Pack
  • The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2)
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • The scarecrows
  • The Prime Minister's Brain
  • The Haunting
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • Mrs. Pepperpot Stories
  • Dear Nobody
  • The Children of Willow Farm (Rewards)
  • River Boy
  • A Pack of Lies
  • The Exiles (The Exiles, #1)
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
  • It's an Aardvark-Eat-Turtle World
  • The Little Grey Men
Though readers often find themselves inadvertently laughing aloud as they read Anne Fine's novels, as she herself admits, "a lot of my work, even for fairly young readers, raises serious social issues. Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny." In 1994, this unique combination of humour and r ...more
More about Anne Fine...

“— А может, обойдемся замороженными чипсами?” 1 likes
“Жизнь прожить — это тяжкий труд. Но книги и истории не дают нам пропасть. Одни помогают жить. Другие дают передышку. Самые лучшие способны и на то, и на другое.” 1 likes