Start by marking “Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service” as Want to Read:
Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service

Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  566 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Reveals the behind-the-scenes strategies, principles, and processes of the Disney approach to exceptional customer service, which emphasizes the best ways to provide quality service to one's customers. Reprint. 25,000 first printing.
Published June 1st 2003 by Disney Editions (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Be Our Guest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Our Guest

Dorsch and Navarre Branch Libraries
Be Our Guest : Perfecting the art of customer service

We all share the same goal – satisfied customers

Disney in In Search of Excellence

Long term success depends on our ability to motivate people, one day at a time and one innovation at a time

Disney approaches
- Quality service
- Creativity
- Innovation
- Leadership
- Loyalty
- Supply chain excellence

Training programs connect companies to their
- Own heritage
- Values
- People
- Guests

Trends come and go – companies need to mobilize the
- Brainpower
- Passi
Matthew
As a pastor and leader, I am always trying to think of what I can do to create an environment that will open up people's hearts to the most important truths in the world. If anyone understands how to create compelling environments, it's Disney.

Some of my favorite thoughts in the book were:

"Quality service means exceeding your guest's expectations and paying attention to detail."

"Everything speaks." (in other words, everything in your environments is saying something)

"My business is making peopl
Greg
May 24, 2010 Greg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any organization serious about quality improvement
Recommended to Greg by: Victor Boschini, TCU Chancellor
The Disney Institute has written a very interesting book describing Disney's approach to providing world class service to their "guests." In a clear and compelling style, Be Our Guest outlines principles of service quality that can be readily adapted to the needs of most organizations. The quality service cycle is introduced, with its focus on (a) a service theme, (b) service standards, (c) delivery systems, and (d) integration of them all into one coherent whole. They emphasize the importance o ...more
Valerie
Being a huge Disney fan, I really wanted to love this book. And the behind the scenes peek at things that one would normally not learn unless they were a Disney employee about the way they deliver an unparalleled experience was quite entertaining.

However there wasn't enough practical application to make this a useful book for trying to evaluate my own corporate culture. Some exercises to apply the Disney philosophy to other industries would have made this more helpful.
Andrew Carretto
Tremendous book. It is great to read the behind the scenes view of one of the most amazing corporations in history. Nothing is done by chance. It had great tie ins to other corporations and how every industry can run with the same principles. One of the better self help business books that I have read. Definitely recommend if you need a good business book to read!!
Ted
All I can say is that when you read this book you need to really appreciate the lengths that Walt went to to create the ultimate playland for kids. He used ideas and studied people to find out what works that no one had done before. All to create a place that was safe and secure. If you get nothing out of this book you're not trying.
Ken Andrus
I loved this book and am using it at work as a guide in putting together a customer service initiative. The book outlines the approach Disney used to create it legendary customer service but does so in such a way to make it very adaptable for any organization.
Sarah Cradit
I had an opportunity recently to read this book, and then subsequently attend the Disney Institute. Most of what was covered in the institute training was also in the book, so I found it a good complement. It's hard for me to rate this exclusively of that training, but I'll try.

What I enjoyed most about the book was learning more about Walt's influence in how the company was shaped. I believe the best companies in the world start with someone's dream, and this is more true of Disney than almost
Frederik Sørensen
An easy to read book about how Disney manage their customer service. On the back cover it say “explains the processes that have made Disney a trusted and revered brand around the world”. It delivers on this promise but do not expect it to explain in enough detail to use their formula in you own organization. The book pitches the Disney university program for customer service, it is mentioned many time throughout the book. Difference customer experiences from this program are superfluous describe ...more
Jacob O'neill
Book was pretty good. Main focus was on understanding customers, their needs, and how to use your organization to best meet their needs. Applying the principles outside of a service industry will be more challenging but possible.

Here are chapter by chapter highlights:(view spoiler)
Faz
Why did I give this book 5 out of 5 stars? Let me count the ways:

1. Because Disney Institute knows what it's doing - it's a space where people don't just learn how to do their jobs well, but they discover how they can fit into the bigger picture of the greatest day of a guest's life.

2. Because I met someone who works in the Disney Institute - 33 years in Disney, to be precise - & his humility spoke volumes. He's the kind of person I want to help hire for my organization.

3. Because in designi
Matthew
Disney understands customer service better than anyone and in this book, they take us behind the curtain and give us a glimpse of what makes the magic work. Below are just a few of my favorite takeaways from the book.

"Exceeding Guests’ expectations is Disney’s service strategy, and paying attention to every detail is the tactic by which it is accomplished."

“Quality service means exceeding your guest’s expectations and paying attention to detail.”

“You can’t change people. But if you change the
Alex Devero
Building and maintaining a successful business involves paying close attention to customer behavior and acting on their needs and wants. This will ensure your company frequently exceeds customers’ expectations and keeps service standards high.
Octavia
originally read for work but ended up gleaning alot of wisdom from Walt... although the main vein is to improve the business of customer service experience it also contains alot of insight. .. we create the life/ experience we want!
Stephen Archer
I cannot imagine what could be a better indication of the quality of book than to have finished it in two days. Be Our Guest is a book written by Theodore Kinni to provide a framework for any business to follow to provide great "Guest Services." Every industry is looking for an edge when it comes to serving their guests better. Disney has been on the edge of great customer service for years and this book goes to show the amount for work Disney puts into growing their cast members (Disney-speak f ...more
Ardilla Azul
Este lo leí por asuntos de mi trabajo, pero está bonito. Es decir, dentro de los temas administrativos, me gusta leer sobre la escuela de calidad y sobre el enfoque de servicio al cliente. Y Disney se reconoce por ser una de las empresas que trabajan con altos estándares al respecto.

El texto es bastante ameno y sencillo de entender, aún si no eres administrador. Te pone tablitas de resumen al final de cada capítulo y te explica por medio de ejemplos anecdóticos de Walt Disney y de Michael Eisne
Lovinthe1320
Nice book! i really enjoyed the behind the scenes look at how Disney operates. I got a good amount of inspiration from this text. Will definitely read again.
Ezra
Disney is a fascinating company. The culture and management style is not totally intuitive and worth studying. This book pulls the curtain back a tad, but Disney is clever enough to avoid giving away the secret sauce.
Keri
I read this for work and think I learned some helpful things for us to implement to provide better customer service.
Lisa
Interesting and enjoyable book. Not only does this book give you concrete ideas for improving your customer service, it also gives examples for each idea. The examples, all from Disney, are fascinating and fun, making the reading really enjoyable from start to finish.

I often find that business books repeat the same concept over and over, but this book offered a new tactic or point though the last page.

I will be sharing what I learned with my work team, and will be bringing some of the strategie
Ted Tschopp
A book on how Disney does customer service.
Ngoc
Read this for work. It was a quick read. I'm a big Disney fan so I knew some of the special touches they do to enhance the guest experience. I liked reading about all of it: the Institute and staff trainings, attention to every detail, evaluation and quality improvement, and outlook on the whole picture. Disney puts on a great show. I have been to non Disney parks and other attractions where I might have had a better experience had they had the high quality standards and service delivery approac ...more
Tim Kimberley
This book definitely took a bit of work translating the Disney context to my context. There were a whole bunch of gems. It's not every day you can pick up a book and learn how a successful organization with very strong DNA trains and instills their DNA into their employees. It wasn't my favorite book but I'd consider it a must read for someone who leads an organization or works to instill a great customer experience.
Kent
Mar 30, 2010 Kent rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Managers with Customer Service needs
Of all the companies out there, Disney does an amazing job at satisfying the customers needs. in fact, they formed the Disney Institute to share their story and show other corporations how they can excel at customer service.

I enjoyed the book from a management point of view. There were great examples throughout the book. Lots of good ideas. My biggest complaint is there is a lot of repetition in the book. This 200+ page book could have been reduced to 15 pages if all the repetition had been left
Robert
This book was interesting to see inside of Disney and how all of their operations are run. There weren't any really new ideas, just different ways which one views business ideas. The book was an easy read and kept my attention. Different stories about Walt and how the company runs helped keep me going. I would say that this is a good book for any person in the business world to read, maybe even people could relate this to life outside of business and just talking with their neighbors as well.
Bayneeta
I read this for a customer service requirement at work. This is really more of a management plan for establishing quality service and setting up goals and training for staff--not particularly tips for employees to provide good customer service. I've just always been curious at how Disney manages to keep all of their "cast" members smiling and upbeat. Amazing attention to detail, but I'm still not clear on how they maintain that in every individual employee.
Elisabeth
I loved Walt Disney, back in the day. I still love his ideology. I'm not sure it can continue without him, but this book gives me hope. I would love to work somewhere where my title was 'cast member' or do business with a company that referred to me as their 'guest'. I would love the world to REALLY be a stage, where we could love our work, paid or not. I still aspire to this and wish the rest of the world would, as well.
Jerry
Good book seeing how the Disney corporation thinks through improvement via process and cast, their word for employees. Best part of the book is how Disney leads and thinks through everything in terms of story. Good practical stuff here for organizations and some great Disney antidotes.

Only wish would have been more detail as it's less than 200 pages and some of their ways of embodying their purpose to cast and guests.
Citrus Libraries Staff Favorites
Andrés
Great book. A must read for anyone in the service industry. It is also applicable for any industry really. As I came to the end of the book I could think of hundreds of ways to approach the lessons learned from the book in a business endeavor. I wish it had more examples from other companies applying the methods described in the book.
  • The Disney Way: Harnessing the Management Secrets of Disney in Your Company
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • Inside the Magic Kingdom
  • The Imagineering Way
  • Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent
  • Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees
  • The Orange Revolution: How One Great Team Can Transform an Entire Organization
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • When Fish Fly: Lessons for Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace from the World Famous Pike Place Fish Market
  • How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • Brain Storm: Unleashing Your Creative Self
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World
  • Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets
  • To Infinity and Beyond!: The Story of Pixar Animation Studios
  • Disneywar
  • Designing Disney
  • To Do Doing Done: A Creative Approach to Managing Projects and Effectively Finishing What Matters Most
Disney Institute, Book 1 Casting Magic: Engaging Employees the Disney Way

“From our earliest days, education has been a hallmark of our company. It was Walt himself who said, “We have always tried to be guided by the basic idea that, in the discovery of knowledge, there is great entertainment—as, conversely, in all good entertainment, there is always some grain of wisdom, humanity, or enlightenment to be gained.” 0 likes
“In this volatile business of ours, we can ill afford to rest on our laurels, even to pause in retrospect. Times and conditions change so rapidly that we must keep our aim constantly focused on the future. —Walt Disney” 0 likes