Start by marking “Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service” as Want to Read:
Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service

Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  707 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Reveals the behind-the-scenes strategies, principles, and processes of the Disney approach to exceptional customer service, which emphasizes the best ways to provide quality service to one's customers. Reprint. 25,000 first printing.
Published June 1st 2003 by Disney Editions (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Be Our Guest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Our Guest

Dijon Chiasson
I sometimes wonder if companies purposely write hypnotically boring business books to make readers lose interest in discovering the real trade secrets.

Going into "Be Our Guest", I was hoping for juicy details about Disney's creepily scientific customer service (i.e. the way they subtly manipulate your emotional state with music and visual cues), but it read just like your typical business book. If you like bland execu-speak and forced acronyms that help you remember corporate values, then this
Dorsch and Navarre Branch Libraries
Be Our Guest : Perfecting the art of customer service

We all share the same goal – satisfied customers

Disney in In Search of Excellence

Long term success depends on our ability to motivate people, one day at a time and one innovation at a time

Disney approaches
- Quality service
- Creativity
- Innovation
- Leadership
- Loyalty
- Supply chain excellence

Training programs connect companies to their
- Own heritage
- Values
- People
- Guests

Trends come and go – companies need to mobilize the
- Brainpower
- Passi
As a pastor and leader, I am always trying to think of what I can do to create an environment that will open up people's hearts to the most important truths in the world. If anyone understands how to create compelling environments, it's Disney.

Some of my favorite thoughts in the book were:

"Quality service means exceeding your guest's expectations and paying attention to detail."

"Everything speaks." (in other words, everything in your environments is saying something)

"My business is making peopl
Being a huge Disney fan, I really wanted to love this book. And the behind the scenes peek at things that one would normally not learn unless they were a Disney employee about the way they deliver an unparalleled experience was quite entertaining.

However there wasn't enough practical application to make this a useful book for trying to evaluate my own corporate culture. Some exercises to apply the Disney philosophy to other industries would have made this more helpful.
May 24, 2010 Greg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any organization serious about quality improvement
Recommended to Greg by: Victor Boschini, TCU Chancellor
The Disney Institute has written a very interesting book describing Disney's approach to providing world class service to their "guests." In a clear and compelling style, Be Our Guest outlines principles of service quality that can be readily adapted to the needs of most organizations. The quality service cycle is introduced, with its focus on (a) a service theme, (b) service standards, (c) delivery systems, and (d) integration of them all into one coherent whole. They emphasize the importance o ...more
A very good book on customer service, and how to provide better customer service. The philosophy in this book is based on how Disney trains all of their employees, and there is a lot of information on the Disney corporation, but there is also a lot of useful information here that can be applied by any business owner of any size business.

The only difficulty I see is how to get your employees to buy into this philosophy.
I wrote a really long and extensive review, but unfortunately it wasn't saved.
My notes while reading

-information about Disney Baby - I've always wanted to go to the States and visit a Disney Baby store (we just have the Disney Store over here)
-really cool quote from Walt about animated pictures vs. the parks, and how "plussing" works
-Walt's view on Imagineering
-a little bit about the Disney Store

-Lots of examples - and examples outside of
Eduardo Hernandez
I work as director of online education in a local university and while being at Disney World I realized that the most important thing was the experience not the rides themselves so I thought to myself what if I could take and apply this vision to the online education world making the experience of students more than just a sequence of courses, making them feel as a global experience. So I started analyze Disney from a management point of view. I read a couple of books, I saw different videos on ...more
Andrew Carretto
Tremendous book. It is great to read the behind the scenes view of one of the most amazing corporations in history. Nothing is done by chance. It had great tie ins to other corporations and how every industry can run with the same principles. One of the better self help business books that I have read. Definitely recommend if you need a good business book to read!!
All I can say is that when you read this book you need to really appreciate the lengths that Walt went to to create the ultimate playland for kids. He used ideas and studied people to find out what works that no one had done before. All to create a place that was safe and secure. If you get nothing out of this book you're not trying.
Ken Andrus
I loved this book and am using it at work as a guide in putting together a customer service initiative. The book outlines the approach Disney used to create it legendary customer service but does so in such a way to make it very adaptable for any organization.
Sarah Cradit
I had an opportunity recently to read this book, and then subsequently attend the Disney Institute. Most of what was covered in the institute training was also in the book, so I found it a good complement. It's hard for me to rate this exclusively of that training, but I'll try.

What I enjoyed most about the book was learning more about Walt's influence in how the company was shaped. I believe the best companies in the world start with someone's dream, and this is more true of Disney than almost
Frederik Sørensen
An easy to read book about how Disney manage their customer service. On the back cover it say “explains the processes that have made Disney a trusted and revered brand around the world”. It delivers on this promise but do not expect it to explain in enough detail to use their formula in you own organization. The book pitches the Disney university program for customer service, it is mentioned many time throughout the book. Difference customer experiences from this program are superfluous describe ...more
Jacob O'neill
Book was pretty good. Main focus was on understanding customers, their needs, and how to use your organization to best meet their needs. Applying the principles outside of a service industry will be more challenging but possible.

Here are chapter by chapter highlights:(view spoiler)
Why did I give this book 5 out of 5 stars? Let me count the ways:

1. Because Disney Institute knows what it's doing - it's a space where people don't just learn how to do their jobs well, but they discover how they can fit into the bigger picture of the greatest day of a guest's life.

2. Because I met someone who works in the Disney Institute - 33 years in Disney, to be precise - & his humility spoke volumes. He's the kind of person I want to help hire for my organization.

3. Because in designi
Disney understands customer service better than anyone and in this book, they take us behind the curtain and give us a glimpse of what makes the magic work. Below are just a few of my favorite takeaways from the book.

"Exceeding Guests’ expectations is Disney’s service strategy, and paying attention to every detail is the tactic by which it is accomplished."

“Quality service means exceeding your guest’s expectations and paying attention to detail.”

“You can’t change people. But if you change the
Alex Devero
Building and maintaining a successful business involves paying close attention to customer behavior and acting on their needs and wants. This will ensure your company frequently exceeds customers’ expectations and keeps service standards high.
originally read for work but ended up gleaning alot of wisdom from Walt... although the main vein is to improve the business of customer service experience it also contains alot of insight. .. we create the life/ experience we want!
Craig Yoshihara
If one book can change the way you operate your business, Be Our Guest is likely that book. Be Our Guest: Perfecting the Art of Customer Service was written and published by The Disney Institute with Theodore Kinni and describes for the reader the “magic” behind Disney’s success. Tom Staggs, then chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and now Chief Operating Officer of the Walt Disney Company, wrote in his introduction to the book people want to know how Disney is so successful. When he tells ...more
Stephen Archer
I cannot imagine what could be a better indication of the quality of book than to have finished it in two days. Be Our Guest is a book written by Theodore Kinni to provide a framework for any business to follow to provide great "Guest Services." Every industry is looking for an edge when it comes to serving their guests better. Disney has been on the edge of great customer service for years and this book goes to show the amount for work Disney puts into growing their cast members (Disney-speak f ...more
Ardilla Azul
Este lo leí por asuntos de mi trabajo, pero está bonito. Es decir, dentro de los temas administrativos, me gusta leer sobre la escuela de calidad y sobre el enfoque de servicio al cliente. Y Disney se reconoce por ser una de las empresas que trabajan con altos estándares al respecto.

El texto es bastante ameno y sencillo de entender, aún si no eres administrador. Te pone tablitas de resumen al final de cada capítulo y te explica por medio de ejemplos anecdóticos de Walt Disney y de Michael Eisne
Nice book! i really enjoyed the behind the scenes look at how Disney operates. I got a good amount of inspiration from this text. Will definitely read again.
Disney is a fascinating company. The culture and management style is not totally intuitive and worth studying. This book pulls the curtain back a tad, but Disney is clever enough to avoid giving away the secret sauce.
James Bauslaugh
Great book for anyone in the service business. Great focus and playbook on creating a great service to customers.
I read this for work and think I learned some helpful things for us to implement to provide better customer service.
Interesting and enjoyable book. Not only does this book give you concrete ideas for improving your customer service, it also gives examples for each idea. The examples, all from Disney, are fascinating and fun, making the reading really enjoyable from start to finish.

I often find that business books repeat the same concept over and over, but this book offered a new tactic or point though the last page.

I will be sharing what I learned with my work team, and will be bringing some of the strategie
Ted Tschopp
A book on how Disney does customer service.
Read this for work. It was a quick read. I'm a big Disney fan so I knew some of the special touches they do to enhance the guest experience. I liked reading about all of it: the Institute and staff trainings, attention to every detail, evaluation and quality improvement, and outlook on the whole picture. Disney puts on a great show. I have been to non Disney parks and other attractions where I might have had a better experience had they had the high quality standards and service delivery approac ...more
Tim Kimberley
This book definitely took a bit of work translating the Disney context to my context. There were a whole bunch of gems. It's not every day you can pick up a book and learn how a successful organization with very strong DNA trains and instills their DNA into their employees. It wasn't my favorite book but I'd consider it a must read for someone who leads an organization or works to instill a great customer experience.
Mar 30, 2010 Kent rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Managers with Customer Service needs
Of all the companies out there, Disney does an amazing job at satisfying the customers needs. in fact, they formed the Disney Institute to share their story and show other corporations how they can excel at customer service.

I enjoyed the book from a management point of view. There were great examples throughout the book. Lots of good ideas. My biggest complaint is there is a lot of repetition in the book. This 200+ page book could have been reduced to 15 pages if all the repetition had been left
  • The Disney Way: Harnessing the Management Secrets of Disney in Your Company
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • Inside the Magic Kingdom
  • The Imagineering Way
  • Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • When Fish Fly: Lessons for Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace from the World Famous Pike Place Fish Market
  • Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees
  • The Orange Revolution: How One Great Team Can Transform an Entire Organization
  • The New Gold Standard: 5 Leadership Principles for Creating a Legendary Customer Experience Courtesy of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company
  • Hiring for Attitude: A Revolutionary Approach to Recruiting and Selecting People with Both Tremendous Skills and Superb Attitude
  • Brain Storm: Unleashing Your Creative Self
  • How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life
  • The Quotable Walt Disney
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World
  • Seven Practices of Effective Ministry (North Point Resources)
  • Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets
Note: The decision was made to consolidate all Disney publications under the name Walt Disney Company. This profile is for Walt Disney, the characters he created, and the company he founded. Any questions, please ask in the Librarian's Group.

Walter Elias "Walt" Disney (December 5, 1901 – December 15, 1966) was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur,
More about Walt Disney Company...

“From our earliest days, education has been a hallmark of our company. It was Walt himself who said, “We have always tried to be guided by the basic idea that, in the discovery of knowledge, there is great entertainment—as, conversely, in all good entertainment, there is always some grain of wisdom, humanity, or enlightenment to be gained.” 0 likes
“In this volatile business of ours, we can ill afford to rest on our laurels, even to pause in retrospect. Times and conditions change so rapidly that we must keep our aim constantly focused on the future. —Walt Disney” 0 likes