Start by marking “Diary of a Mad Playwright: Perilous Adventures on the Road with Mary Martin and Carol Channing” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  9 reviews
(Applause Books). Kirkwood, the co-writer of the book of the great musical A Chorus Line, also wrote the stage play Legends, for which Carol Channing and Mary Martin embarked on a nationwide, bound-for-Broadway tour. This book chronicles the slow disintigration of the whole project, thanks to bickering divas, greedy producers, hostile reviewers, and general chaos. Kirkwood...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Applause Theatre & Cinema Book Publishers (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Mad Playwright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Mad Playwright

Ray
I first heard about the play "Legends!" when it came to Philly a year or two ago with Joan Collins (or maybe Jackie). I was not all that interested in seeing it, but then Charles Busch did a version with Lypsinka I think in NYC which I was sad I missed. Reading about that, I somehow came across a reference to this book written by the playwright, about the original with Carol Channing and Mary Martin. It seemed too good to pass up.

Unfortunately it's way too bitchy. Kirkwood spends 90% of the book...more
Ray
"Diary of a Mad Playwright" is a wonderful behind-the-scenes look at the making of a projected Broadway play, written by the co-author of "A Chorus Line". It deals with his play "Legends" and all that went into the creation, casting and production of the play that starred Mary Martin and Carol Channing, both legends in their own right. Hilarious, touching and downright 'bitchy' throughout, this is a terrific read.
Kent
There are some books you want to read, and then there are some books you have to read. Diary comes closer to the have catagory if you have any interest in the theater biz. As stated in other reviews of mine, I'm not a fan of the memoir, this one included. There is some good stuff in here, but one gets a little tired of hearing Kirkwood blow smoke every which way he can.
Joe Hartman
This book is...delicious. I could not stop reading it. I love a good backstage story, and there's no juicier story than that of a play in trouble, especially with two ladies like Mary Martin and Carol Channing. Even better, at the end of the story you will still respect and admire both of them, flaws and all.
Dave
This book was kind of a guilty pleasure, but strangely depressing, especially where Mary Martin was concerned. Anyone even thinking about producing theatre should read this.
Devan Sipher
Anyone who likes backstage stories or has an interest in theater will enjoy this riotous memoir by an author of the musical A Chorus Line.
Christopher
Aug 13, 2007 Christopher rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: theatre folk
Dishy, dishy read. If you haven't worked in the business, you'll find it hard to believe. If you have, well, it's very close to the bone.
John
The book that taught me to love the Kindle app! This is a story that needs more Carol Channing and less Mary Martin.
Robby Johnson
Wow. What a doozy. Fun and gossipy. Highly recommend.
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2014
Tessie
Tessie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Chip
Chip marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Vincent Ester
Vincent Ester marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
J.E. Anckorn
J.E. Anckorn marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Taarna D
Taarna D marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
David
David added it
May 28, 2013
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
James Kirkwood, Jr. was an American playwright and author born in Los Angeles, California. His father, James Kirkwood, Sr. was an actor and director in silent films and his mother was actress Lila Lee. He died in 1989 of spinal cancer.
More about James Kirkwood Jr....
P.S. Your Cat Is Dead Good Times/Bad Times Some Kind of Hero There Must Be a Pony A Chorus Line: The Complete Book of the Musical