Start by marking “The Christmas Blizzard” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Blizzard

The Christmas Blizzard

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
One year the North Pole is too hot for Christmas, so a young boy howls up a snowstorm to get things back on track. He whips up snowflakes as big as dinner plates and winds strong enough to split firewood!
Published November 1st 1996 by Scholastic (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Blizzard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Blizzard

Chris Jordan
Dec 13, 2013 Chris Jordan rated it it was amazing
I just read the book to my son's 3rd Grade class for their Reading with Dad's day. The kids loved it and so did I. I only wish it was available on the Kindle.
Danielle Messer
It gets too hot at the north pole and Santa and the elves stop making toys. Mr. Jenkins did not want to see Christmas skipped so he went and wished for snow. Then a blizzard comes along and Santa starts working on Christmas again.
Maddie
Sep 18, 2014 Maddie rated it really liked it
I think kids would love this book because it is so comical and ridiculous. The pictures are also good because every time you read it you see something new. This would be a great book to read to my kids around the holidays.
Emma Daugherty
Feb 10, 2015 Emma Daugherty rated it really liked it
When I was a child this was one of my favorite holiday books. This story book has detailed pictures and a good story line about a crazy christmas blizzard. There are fun characters and crazy weather events that make the draw the reader in and is perfect for children. I would definitely recommend this book.
Sandie
Nov 22, 2011 Sandie rated it really liked it
We enjoyed this book....a really fun story. The way the story is told is like a conversation....well a one sided one. It would be as if I was standing in front of you telling it to you and that makes for an easy read outloud book. Also makes it easy to give voices to the characters, since you only have a handfull of people speaking in the story.

The storyline is pretty interesting, unique I would say. Its the first time I have read about a Christmas blizzard in just this way.

The pictures are gr
Pam
Dec 13, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
Outrageous, over the top, extraordinary, amazing all describe this absolutely wonderful holiday tall tale. How could this book have been so overlooked when it was written? Helen Ketteman has created a incredible book that should be in every holiday collection! The story is great, the characters well done and so adorable, and it even includes dogs and cats! James Warhola's illustrations match Ketteman's tall tale with quirky characters in bright vivid colors that match the holiday spirit. If you ...more
Jen Traub
Feb 07, 2016 Jen Traub rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So cute. We just read it, but subbed 'superbowl' for every 'Christmas' and giggled a lot!
Rachelolivia
Jun 02, 2015 Rachelolivia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
II
Cara Mcmannis
Dec 11, 2013 Cara Mcmannis rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This story is about an elder man telling a young girl about a snow storm that occurred a long time ago. It was the biggest snow storm he had ever seen. This story integrates a little bit of science and fun that would be engaging for the students as a read aloud.
Jess
Dec 04, 2008 Jess rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2nd,3rd grade
This book has great voice. It would be great for teaching kids how to write. The story itself deals with unpredictable weather and how it was affecting Santa and the rest of the world. It's a fun book.
Kim
Nov 14, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Charming, expressive, action-packed illustrations fill the pages. Lengthy, but engaging Christmas tall-tale.

themes: blizzard, Christmas, Indiana, Santa, snow, , tall tale, witch
Becky
Jan 01, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
A delightful Christmas tall tale! Fun to read.
Karen
Mar 27, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
You can read my review at my blog: http://familybriefs.com/2008/01/05/st...
Judy
Aug 14, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
Fun silly read. Kids love to laugh and have fun while I read it to them. Very fun!
Heidi
Apr 03, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, especially when you read it to your kids with funny voices :).
Elaine7717
Nov 30, 2010 Elaine7717 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great and himorous kids xmas book. Enjoyed by my son and I.
Megan B
Dec 26, 2010 Megan B rated it did not like it
Shelves: christmas-books
Not my cup of tea. Or cocoa.
RI
RI added it
Mar 24, 2016
Amanda Eisele
Amanda Eisele rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Jaclyn
Jaclyn added it
Jan 22, 2016
Sonja
Sonja added it
Jan 16, 2016
Sara Adkins
Sara Adkins marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Paulina Fricke
Paulina Fricke rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
author and mother of two grown sons. Texas, where she lived for 9 years, is one of her favorite places and several of her books are set there. She, her husband, and their two cats currently live in Sanibel Island, Florida--where plenty of armadillos live, too.
More about Helen Ketteman...