Start by marking “Ehrengard” as Want to Read:
Ehrengard

Ehrengard

One of the last works completed by Isak Dinesen before her recent death, Ehrengard belongs to her Gothic Tales, in her own words "fairy tales with dark shadows". It is concerned – on one level – with the dynastic complications of a small but turbulent duchy, and the provision of an heir to the house of Fugger-Babenhausen. Ehrengard is the young Valkyrie who is drawn steadi ...more
Paperback, Penguin Twentieth Century Classics, New Edition, 128 pages
Published September 24th 1998 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Ehrengard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ehrengard

Jim
Mar 31, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isak Dinesen is the pseudonym of Denmark's baroness Karen Blixen. Ehrengard is her last work, written just before her death in September 1962. A couple of weeks ago, I came across the book on the shelves of the main Santa Monica library and decided to check it out. After all, I had loved Out of Africa and Seven Gothic Tales, which I had read decades ago.

Dinesen is a natural-born teller of tales, reminding me of Nikolai Leskov and Isaac Bashevis Singer in this regard. She starts Ehrengard with an
Gaia
Nov 07, 2015 Gaia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: letteratura
3.5 stelle Completamente diverso da ciò che mi ero aspettata leggendo la trama . Lo stile di scrittura è splendido e la storia molto particolare. Avrei dato 4 stelline piene se solo il finale non mi avesse lasciato un profondo senso di incompletezza.
Sandy
Feb 10, 2017 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How does one sink into a story so quickly that all time is lost and another era becomes more real than the present? Ms Denisen captured me with this fantasy/history of a time much like our own filled with human emotions and intrigue. All to come to the conclusion we already know- that love conquers all.
Chris
Oct 13, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
I feel in love with Isak Dinesen's writing in college after reading "The Cloak". When I went to Denmark in 2000, I visited her home and made it a point to buy those books of hers that I hadn't been able to find. Ehrengard was the last book that I brought. I read it in one afternoon. It's a great book. It is lighter than many of her short stories; hilarously in some places even. Dinesan's style is still there, you can tell its her work, but there is difference in it. It's more chatty. Ehrengard a ...more
Atila Demirkasımoğlu
Güzel, tatlı ve zekice bir hikaye. Biraz felsefi göndermeler... Başarılı.
the Lost Bennet Sister
3,5
"Sır denilen şeyde garip bir yan vardır; gizlilik kokusu yayar." (59)

Kitap yaşlı bir kadının anlattığı yüz yirmi yıl önce olmuş bir olay etrafında geçiyor. İlginç bir anlatımı var. Karakterler ve anlatıcı birbirine giriyor yer yer. En son okuduklarımın üzerine birden romans türüne dönünce bu tarz kitapların bana çok hitap etmediğini tekrar gördüm. Herr Cazotte isminde yaşı geçkin bir ressamın Ehrengard isminde kendi halinde bir kızı garip sanatsal amaçları için inatla oyuncak etmek istemesi
Wayne
Jun 12, 2009 Wayne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: romantics, the bored, the shallow,the sentimentalist
Recommended to Wayne by: Isak Dinesen's reputation
This is really a novella or short story.
Tells like a fairy story of 19th Century German royalty.

Well-written, stylish and somewhat contrived in an older artist's obsession about getting some type of psychological hold over a beautiful young woman. Both are involved with others loyal to the royals and political intrigues to do with the succession and a royal birth.

I realised as I read it that I had actually read it before!!!
Not a good sign.
Some sentimentalists might want to squeeze deep themes o
Fred Fisher
Jun 29, 2013 Fred Fisher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Some surprises for me when I found out about and read this book. The first was that Isak Dinesen had written more than "Out of Africa" and the second being that Dinesen is a pen name and the third that she was a baroness. Well, all that aside, this is a so-so story taking place about 200 years ago in a fictional Germanic country, well, Duchy type country like Germany was made up of before unification. A slight tale of royalty, premarital sex and cross class lust with a little bit of intrigue thr ...more
Frankie
Nov 18, 2010 Frankie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a nice story and the first I've read by Blixen. It reminds me of Bierce's retelling of The Monk and the Hangman's Daughter. A 1960s portrayal of courtly romance and aristocratic hijinx. Remarkably it coincides with my reading on Albrecht Dürer – the eve of the Reformation, Germanic pastoral, quaint morality play. To its credit, the "ducal" aristocratic flair of the characters has a Russian flavor to it.

The plot doesn't seem original, however. The turns of the characters are predictabl
Marcella
Duncan
unmemorable.

I enjoyed this while I was reading it, but have since lost most recollection of it. I suppose that I have difficulty relating to stories of european nobility. The very idea of hiding a baby's birth for purposes of... what was it, succession? just doesn't stick in my head, and more universal themes seemed lacking. I think you're supposed to empathize with the princess, but I couldn't.
Kirsten
Jun 28, 2013 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has everything! - intrigue, scandal, integrity, loyalty, sacrifice, suspense. In three short parts, it's a quick read and really picks up the pace at the end. It's one of my most favorite books.
Rose
Dec 05, 2013 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A beautifully balanced fairytale from the author of Babette's Feast. There is a kind of purity in Blixen's best work that has the distance of a folktale, and the sophistication of a novel. A lovely novella.
Jan Pocestnej
Feb 28, 2016 Jan Pocestnej rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dobré, ale asi ne úplně pro každého. Spíš než příběh autorka předvádí úžasný způsob vyprávění.
Douglas Messerli
My review of Dinesen's Ehrengard is here:
Max
Sep 29, 2013 Max rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blixen er vild
Petra
Petra rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Tamara Zann
Tamara Zann rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Victor Couwenbergh
Victor Couwenbergh rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Leon Argamasilla
Leon Argamasilla rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Signe
Signe rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Luca Parise
Luca Parise rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Ida Young
Ida Young rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2012
Valentina
Valentina rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Mario
Mario rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Katrine Bredal
Katrine Bredal rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Armagan Kilci
Armagan Kilci rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2015
Paolo Grill
Paolo Grill rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
  • Röslein rot
  • Das Augenspiel. Lebensgeschichte 1931-37
  • Die Tante Jolesch
  • Beerholms Vorstellung
  • Adolf. Äch bin wieder da!!
  • Gehen
  • Den forsvundne fuldmægtig
  • Der letzte Tag der Schöpfung
  • Die Ratten. Berliner Tragikomödie
  • Arthur Mervyn: Revised Edition
  • Abschied von Sidonie
  • Mannen som dog som en lax
  • The Sinner
  • The Memoirs of Josephine Mutzenbacher
Pseudonym used by the Danish author Karen Blixen.

Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke (Danish: [kʰɑːɑn ˈbleɡsn]; 17 April 1885 – 7 September 1962), née Karen Christenze Dinesen, was a Danish author, also known by the pen name Isak Dinesen, who wrote works in Danish, French and English. She also at times used the pen names Tania Blixen, Osceola, and Pierre Andrézel.
Blixen is best known for Out of Afri
More about Isak Dinesen...

“Very old families will sometimes feel upon them the shadow of annihilation.” 2 likes