Une faim d'égalité

Une faim d'égalité

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Ce roman, récit de la jeunesse de R. Wright à Chicago dresse un tableau sans indulgence de l'Amérique des années 30 et constitue un témoignage émouvant et passionné de l'écrivain révolté par l'injustice sociale et l'oppression spirituelle.
Mass Market Paperback, 245 pages
Published December 1st 2002 by Gallimard (first published 1977)

Noel
This book is revealing and passionate. I've read Blackboy many years ago right after I had read Native Son. I need to read it again. I remember the read to be quite revealing, in terms of his dealing with the "Jim Crow South" and how he endured and survived it.

The North has always been buoyed to be the promise lands to the African American of the south. However, as Richard Wright shows, the north had its own mercilessness. He had to sell insurance to poor black and even took some privileges for...more
Johnusacitizen
Black Boy (partial novel 1940)
American Hunger (full novel 1977)

This book not only opened my mind to better understand HOW an injustice society, our society, worked(s) in countless unseen ways to subjugate a minority, it opened my heart to feel as well, from both sides: the oppressor and oppressed

It offers a glimpse into the dynamics of a culture that creates in others what it longs to see to justify the wrongs they do... thereby creating(imposing) a self-fulfilling prophesy

Citizens of the USA wa...more
Jim
Oct 05, 2009 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jim by: Steve
After a slow start, this short autobiography turns into a compelling account of Richard Wright's experience in Chicago and particularly his involvement with The John Reed Club and Communist Party.

Wright discusses the bewildering impact of urban life on Blacks from the South, the roots of anti-intellectualism in the American Left, and the difficulties caused by sectarianism within the Communist Party.

I read this book while reading Randi Storch's "Red Chicago: American Communism at its Grassroots,...more
Gerard
This is the second part of his autobiography, not published until more than a decade after it was written. Wright comes to Chicago in 1927 and engages other migrants and the Communist Party. His descriptions are gripping. And his grappling with the true spirit of proletarian internationalism versus the stunted orthodoxy of the CP makes this book a valuable historical document.
Jonfaith
It is odd, the episode i recall - the mental patient assuming control of their cell is replicated in the God That Wasn't anthology. Maybe it wasn't. I'd like to lean back and slap my 20 year old self in the mouth. I swore that Wright was our Dostoevsky. Jesus.
Steve
You think your office politics are tough? Try being an Af-Am in the CPUSA in '30's Chicago! Good read if you're interested in Radical Americana, less so if you're interested in Chicago.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Nina Shishkin-smith
Nina Shishkin-smith marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Deb Oestreicher
Deb Oestreicher marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Maria
Maria added it
Jul 05, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Craig Mccall
Craig Mccall marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Antoine Adams
Antoine Adams marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Jennifer Ochoa
Jennifer Ochoa marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Richard Nathaniel Wright was an African-American author of powerful, sometimes controversial novels, short stories and non-fiction. Much of his literature concerned racial themes. His work helped redefine discussions of race relations in America in the mid-20th century.

More about Richard Wright...
Native Son Black Boy Uncle Tom's Children The Outsider Eight Men: Short Stories

“I wanted to try to build a bridge of words between me and that world outside, that world which was so distant and elusive that it seemed unreal.” 0 likes