Start by marking “Murder at the God's Gate (Lord Meren, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder at the God's Gate (Lord Meren, #2)

Murder at the God's Gate (Lord Meren #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When a priest dies in a mysterious fall from atop a statue of Tutankhamun, many consider the death a fateful one for the fourteen-year-old pharaoh and his reign. Indeed, the Hittites are already at Egypt's borders, and the enemies of the late heretic pharaoh Akhenaten have transferred their implacable hatred to the young pharaoh. Concealed by the luxury of the court at The ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published November 19th 1995 by Fawcett (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the God's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at the God's Gate

Renee
After finishing the prior book I needed something as different as I had in the house -- and this seemed to be it. I've heard good things about Robinson's books since she was first published, even though I tend not to read historical mysteries myself.

I've finished the book and I'm still not used to the way Robinson uses language. It is, most likely, her attempt to recreate the way those in ancient Egypt would have spoken, but it was disconcerting to me, even distracting at times. The unfamiliarit
Serenity
Read this the summer before freshman year in high school. Didn't realize there was a previous book in the series, but like any mystery serial, it didn't really detract from my understanding or enjoyment of the book. It was my first encounter with a book set in ancient egypt, and I had some trouble understanding what was going on in the beginning. But soon I got into it, and I remember ending compulsively reading to find out what happens next, and in the end really enjoying it. Maybe I'll get aro ...more
Holly Lindquist
Book #2 in the Lord Meren mystery series is yet another capably executed whodunnit. It moves quickly and confidently through twists and turns in the pursuit for certain murderous individuals, and you're never entirely sure where those turns will take our world-weary hero.
As usual the complicated relationship between the boy king and Meren is a highlight, as well as the solid period details of Egyptian life and courtly intrigues.

The hippopotamus hunt made me nervous.. (It is never a good idea to
Kgwhitehurst
A much better read than the first in the series. The characters more fleshed out and their passions/hatred more understandable, if as murky as the Nile at full flood. The plot, while twisted, is accessible, and the tension is ratcheted up very well. Robinson absolutely knows her ancient Egypt, and the Hittites were a helluva an enemy, a very real threat. Altogether, this novel is fast, enjoyable read.
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 Cindy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical mystery fans
Just what I needed to distract me after sending my daughter off to camp. I really liked the main character, Meren. He had an interesting story. But I have to say that I found it the book a bit confusing at times--too much going on, what with invading Hittites, foreign prices, intrigue at the palace and a separate intrigue at the temple. Too many characters.

CMB
Christine
Excellent. A great mystery all on its own, but it combines details of living in ancient Egypt in general with many facts about King Tutankhamen, one of the most famous pharaohs of all time. If you love ancient Egypt and mysteries, including the series starring Amelia Peabody (different author, different time period, same flavor) you'll love this series.
Bonnie
The mystery was interesting, but somehow I couldn't work up much enthusiasm for it. I think part of my problem was that I had trouble keeping the young men in Meren's circle (Rahotep, Tanefer, Maya, Ahiram) straight. I loved her first mystery, "Murder in the Place of Anubis" and plan to read the next.
Priscilla Hayes
Feb 12, 2014 Priscilla Hayes is currently reading it
I am enjoying this, the second in the series, because of the great main characters and the detail. I checked, as far as the web allowed, and it seems her details of ancient Egypt are accurate--and fascinating. If only she had any strong female characters . . .
Yik
Stumbled upon Lynda Robinson as I was looking for the other (Peter) Robinson. Enjoyed imagining life in Egypt BC with all its political intrigues - obviously some things never change. Will soon be back at the library in search of more books from the Lord Meren series.
Elissa
I read the first one so long ago that all I remember is that I liked it. I liked this one, too; the setting is so very interesting and the characters are fun. It's like a cross between Amelia Peabody and Brother Cadfael.
Kerri
Enjoyed it like the first one in the series - not going to change my life, but entertaining and good characters.
Xarah
This is the 2nd book in the Lord Meren series.
Alison
Jun 11, 2009 Alison marked it as to-read
#2
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Katarzyna Broniec
Katarzyna Broniec marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Dawn
Dawn added it
Nov 27, 2014
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Sillymarilly
Sillymarilly marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • The Horus Killings (Amerotke, #2)
  • Year of the Hyenas: A Novel of Murder in Ancient Egypt (Semerket, #1)
  • The Venus Throw (Roma Sub Rosa, #4)
  • Nemesis  (Marcus Didius Falco, #20)
  • SPQR X: A Point of Law (SPQR, #10)
  • The Germanicus Mosaic (Libertus Mystery of Roman Britain, #1)
Lynda Suzanne Robinson (b. July 6, 1951 in Amarillo, Texas) is an American writer, author of romance (under the name Suzanne Robinson) and mystery novels (under the name Lynda S. Robinson). She is best known for her series of historical whodunnits set in Ancient Egypt during the reign of Tutankhamun and featuring Lord Meren, "the Eyes and Ears of Pharaoh." She lives in Texas with her husband and h ...more
More about Lynda S. Robinson...
Murder in the Place of Anubis (Lord Meren, #1) Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3) Eater of Souls (Lord Meren, #4) Drinker of Blood (Lord Meren, #5) Slayer of Gods (Lord Meren, #6)