Start by marking “Circus Caps for Sale” as Want to Read:
Circus Caps for Sale

Circus Caps for Sale (Caps for Sale #2)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
More caps for sale!Pezzo, the hardworking peddler, is still selling caps in this delightful sequel to the beloved caps for sale. But what is that amusing performing elephant up to? And where have all Pezzo's caps gone? Will Pezzo get them back? Esphyr Slobodkina's classic artwork and timeless story are as endearing as ever in this new paperback edition.
Published May 11th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Circus Caps for Sale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circus Caps for Sale

Slytano
Aug 26, 2013 Slytano rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
First of all, I had no idea there was a sequel to Caps for Sale until I saw it on Goodreads. Goodreads points me to the most awesome things.

I don't think the peddler had a name in the first book. BIG REVEAL: his name is Pezzo. Pezzo sells caps for 50 cents. Pezzo can balance seventeen (17) caps on his head. This is incredible. Incredible enough to be the best trick at the circus. There are people walking on tightropes, jugglers, talking seals, and women showing off their legs in skimpy outfits.
Rachael Mack
Sep 05, 2014 Rachael Mack rated it really liked it
Circus Caps for Sale is a sequel to one of my all-time favorite childhood books Caps for Sale. As a child I remember being able to feel the annoyance of Pezzo when his caps were taken from him, so I was thrilled to find that there was a sequel. After reading this sequel I can truly say that Esphyr Slobodkina did a wonderful job of creating yet another book that children will love.

Circus Caps for Sale tells about a day in the life of Pezzo who sells caps. Pezzo wakes up every moring and stacks hi
Judy
Loved the original book as did our kids. We read it countless times. Wish I'd had this one as well back when the boys were little. Very curious as to how the illustrations were coloured in the original printing back in 1967 as this edition appears to employ photoshop gradient blends. Interesting. The use of colour is festive and distinctive.

I recently came across a blog post about Esphyr Slobodkina here. She did some beautiful artwork.
Miriam
Jun 23, 2014 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Seems a bit redundant to have a sequel to the excellent Caps for Sale, but the pictures were nice. I ought to learn more about Slobodkina, who sounds like an interesting person.
Michael Fitzgerald
Attention artists: learn how musical instruments are assembled and held!
Caroline
Oct 07, 2015 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's not as good as the original but it's not awful.
Mary
Jan 12, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, picture-book, circus
Julianne
Dec 30, 2008 Julianne rated it liked it
This is a children's picture book, and is a sequel to Caps For Sale, written by the same author. The little peddler who carries all his caps on his head went to town, but no one was there! They had all gone to the county fair. As he headed over to see the sights, the circus parade began to pass by. He just waited...until the elephant came along. The elephant liked the peddler's caps, and tried one on for his rider. But you can't try just one!
Holly Chapman
Dec 01, 2012 Holly Chapman rated it it was ok
This book is a sequel to the book Caps for Sale. The peddler joins the circus because he is able to carry many caps on his head without dropping them. This book was published in the late 60's so I would use it as a book for them to compare to modern day books. The previous book was published in the 1940's so they could compare the two stories for similarities and differences.
Ashley Wampler
Sep 15, 2010 Ashley Wampler rated it really liked it
A man walks through a town selling caps of all colors. He wears them in a tall stack on top of his head. When he stops to rest, he falls asleep and a tree full of monkeys takes all of his caps! He becomes very frustrated and tries to get them back, but the monkeys just imitate everything that he does. Will he be able to get all of his caps back?
David
Sep 27, 2015 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books, fiction
Circus Caps For Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (Harper Collins 1967) (Fiction – Children's). In this sequel to the brilliant children's book Caps for Sale, the author aims for the same target but misses badly in this tale about a circus elephant. My rating: 6/10, finished 2009.
Allison
Jun 10, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
I've been trying to introduce Jordan to some "classics", and I had thought that I'd grabbed the original while we were at the library. No matter, Jordan loved it and requested that we reread it several times. She loved to holler "Caps for Sale!!" with the peddler.
Emely
Jan 13, 2009 Emely rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The peddler finds himself in the circus when an elephant knocks down all his caps. The circus boss is so impressed by the fact that the peddler can keep all those caps on his head that he offers him a spot in the circus.
Rachel Jessen
Jul 27, 2008 Rachel Jessen rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Just happened upon this at the library yesterday and brought it home to read to my babies. We all decided we enjoyed the original Caps for Sale better, and were disappointed the monkeys didn't appear in this story.
Molly
Apr 18, 2016 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
When I found out that there is a sequel to the classic Caps For Sale, I had to read it. This one is just as delightful as the first with the same great illustrations. A nice companion to the first.
Heather
Jan 18, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
40 months - The original was a huge huge hit when O was much younger. She's sign the colors of the caps and would say Tisk Tisk Tisk! This sequel is almost as good, I was happily surprised.
Jenny
Mar 14, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved Caps for Sale so was excited to see this one but did not like it as well. It was cute though that he was part of the circus and sold all this hats--except his own!
John
May 07, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really sweet sequel to one of my favorite books as a child. The same author revisits the life of Pezzo the Peddler through her beautiful words and illustrations.
Mandy
Jan 15, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The peddler is trying hard to sell his caps, but when the circus comes into town, they "take their hats off to him" for his unique talent.
April
May 09, 2012 April rated it it was ok
We didn't really care for this one as it didn't have the rhythm we had come to love in the original.
Amanda
Aug 05, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
A lovely companion to the first book, which is a favorite of mine from childhood.
Heidi
Dec 30, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
I'm so glad the peddler was recognized for his talent--and that he sold some caps!
Judy
Jun 17, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
I loved reading the rest of the story. I have felt sorry for the poor peddler for years.
Skylar Burris
Aug 11, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Not as classic as the original Caps for Sale, but a good read was had by all.
Megan B
Apr 16, 2008 Megan B rated it liked it
I was hopeful, but it didn't quite measure up to the original.
Mary-Jane
Feb 10, 2012 Mary-Jane rated it really liked it
Good story, but not as good as "Caps for Sale".
Mermac3
Sep 15, 2008 Mermac3 rated it liked it
Not as good as the original, but still cute.
Nicole Sandford
Apr 05, 2012 Nicole Sandford rated it liked it
Shelves: junior-books
I remember reading this as a child. Preps
Shalana
Jan 31, 2012 Shalana rated it really liked it
Cute, but not as good as the original.
Jessy
Dec 06, 2008 Jessy marked it as to-read
I never knew there was another..
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Gingerbread Boy
  • Pretzel
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Five Green and Speckled Frogs (Sing and Read Storybook)
  • Maya Was Grumpy