Start by marking “The Assassin (Max Doerr #1)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin (Max Doerr #1)

The Assassin (Max Doerr #1)

Max Doerr lives in New York with his wife and son, working as an editor for a newspaper.
But He has a secret in his past life that he never told his wife. Then suddenly his son is killed brutally.
Grief stricken, he tries to find his son’s killer but to no avail.
During his investigation, his CIA past comes back to him and he gets involved in a vortex of murder and interna
Published January 15th 2014 (first published October 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assassin

Joan
Dnf at 41% when I read this:

A bullet came out of Al Hashemi's Beretta and it hit Doerr's hip, shattering the bone. Doerr dropped to the ground, his vision blurring with the pain.....

Okay so far, but then I read THIS in the next paragraph:

Doerr dragged himself onto unsteady feet.

WTF??? EVER seen anyone with a shattered hip?? Standing is the last thing you can do. I can suspend disbelief for a lot of things, but not this.

(This incredible Alphamale then goes on to tuck his gun into his belt, tu
Ewald
Feb 11, 2014 Ewald rated it did not like it
Not finishing. Got the book free at Amazon. The author did all the trouble of writing a book. He got it published. Good for him! As for me- the writing is sloppy and badly edited too. Huge time lapses jump ahead in a single sentence. I got to the point where I no longer care about the characters. I am just going to smile snd wave in passing!..
Paulette San pedro
Jan 26, 2014 Paulette San pedro rated it did not like it
This is one of the most poorly written, edited book I have ever read. Horrible. It was jumpy. The dialogue was choppy and the characters were superficial.
Tami
Mar 01, 2014 Tami rated it it was ok
The story was entertaining, but the grammar and spelling were horrible. How did this book ever get approved for printing?
Grammar*Kitten
As with his debut novel, Jay Deb spins a complex narrative with intriguing characters in this high octane action thriller.

Terrorism, trechery and a tortured father, trying to avenge the murder of his teenage son, make this novel quite a fast paced read. A number of threads are woven together to make a rope of story that ties itself off with a knot of realization for the protagonist, Max Doerr at the end. I liked the way the ending was left open, and I'd be hopeful to see more about this characte
Christoph Fischer
“Assassins” by Jay Deb is a very past paced and gripping thriller with some excellent characters. Doerr is a former CIA agent whose life changes when his son is killed. Out to seek revenge he joins forces with the law enforcement to hunt the killer down. The adventurous hunt takes him to exotic locations and he comes across a cast of international spy and crime players.
This is an action packed thriller with a great narrative and intelligent plotting. If spy and conspiracy thrillers are for you
Clark
Apr 24, 2014 Clark rated it it was ok
As other reviews have said, the plot was good but this book was poorly written and poorly edited. The characters were just names and the author made no attempt to develop their personalities for the reader. Don't waste your time reading this book.
Victor H Fisher Jr
Great spy book. Nicely written.

Great spy book. Nicely written.

Great Spy novel. The story revolves around the Al-Qaeda and the damage they are planning to ensure on Washington. The CIA gets involved on a International
Lisa
Feb 07, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about this book,good story and moves with a fast pace with lots of twist and turns,the edit of this book was not good and the grammar leaves a lot to be desired,if you can get passed this then don't pass it over,give the book a try.
Daina
Feb 17, 2014 Daina rated it it was ok
This book is ok. Sadly, I figured out "who did it very early on the book. I think the main character needed more development so you would like him. a couple side characters were well developed, but we're only in the book for just a bit.
Robyn
Jul 24, 2014 Robyn rated it it was ok
the story is compelling...but the writing and editing are sloppy at best....downright unreadable in most spots. unfortunate because there was a lot of potential
Candy
Feb 17, 2014 Candy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is okay, but it seems to have at least 4 stories going without much cohesiveness. Parts of it are very good, some not so much.
Tara C
Mar 27, 2014 Tara C rated it did not like it
Full of cliche and predictability. The sheer number of grammar and spelling errors was enough to turn me off. Seemed very amateur. Characters were very one dimensional.
Toni Osborne
Aug 21, 2014 Toni Osborne rated it liked it
This is Jay Deb second thriller “Contrived” being the first. I received this book some time ago and luckily I had put it aside to read some others I had in backlog. This was a good move. Apparently, the first edition was riddled with errors and needless to say annoyed more than one reader. A later revision was issued to correct what reviewers had noticed and this is the version I read and I hardly noticed any of the slipping mistakes, if any at all.

With this cleared up. “The Assassin” is a real
Lee Warburton
Mar 14, 2016 Lee Warburton rated it liked it
This book was ok at best. The story was fine but the characters were not developed very well and I struggled to finish the book. Also, the end of the book kind of threw too many things in at once without expounding on them enough. As other people have said it was probably the worst edited book I have read in my life. There was not a page in this book I don't believe that did not have either a mis-spelling, a grammatical error, or words missing. Very irritating.
robert p. browning
Felt cheated

Reading is an elective exercise. Generally, it is leisure time. However, leisure time wasted is still wasted time. Mr. Deb wasted my time with an empty tale with a poorly developed plot, unsympathetic and poorly developed characters. I read hundreds of "thrillers". This will not be counted among them. I don't remember what I paid for this book.....but I feel cheated.
Malcolm Gregoire
Another tale of corruption in the CIA and terrorists plotting to kill us Infidels. The retired Assassin is coerced to comeback to the agency to go after Abu Halim but first is told to kill a man that he learns later was a DEA administrator gone bad. Some of the facts were not very realistic and the book tended to drag on with too much background and not enough action.
Janine
Interesting, thought provoking

The plot itself was good. The story started out strong but got a bit drawn out as it went along. The editing was horrible. There were words omitted or not removed, making reading, at times, distracting.
Shelli King
Had a number of typos and the ending was a bit abrupt and felt unfinished. Other than that it wasn't a bad read.
Jim
Nov 27, 2015 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: misc-reads, jay-deb
Book was an OK read. Really wasn't very fluid. Started one way and ended in a totally different direction.
SherryA
SherryA rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Rosie
Rosie rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Jim Guest
Jim Guest rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
len bealer
len bealer rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Irene Jindra
Irene Jindra rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Cherye Elliott
Cherye Elliott rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Delores Jackson
Delores Jackson rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Kristina Lopez
Kristina Lopez rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • BY UNKNOWN MEANS
  • Vital Force (Jake Adams International Thriller, #4)
  • Veil of Civility: a Black Shuck thriller
  • The Third Coincidence (Jack McCall Mystery #1)
  • A Man Overboard
  • Schreiber's Secret
  • The Getaway (Sam Archer, #2)
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • The Delphi Chronicle (Omnibus)
  • Black Harvest (The Project, #4)
  • Time Fall
  • Indisputable Proof
  • Valley of Thracians
  • Ratio (A Leopold Blake Thriller, #4)
  • The S.N. Killer
  • Soundkeeper (Hall McCormick Thriller, #1)
  • Freedom Bridge
  • Agent Hill: Off The Grid- Book 0
Reading and writing is Jay Deb's passion. He likes thriller and suspense books,
specifically the espionage books.
During day time he is a software developer at a major bank. He holds an
under graduate degree in Physics and a graduate degree in Computer Science.
When he is not writing his next book, he likes to play golf or go for fishing or do some painting.
He lives in New Jersey with his son and w