Start by marking “Little Witch” as Want to Read:
Little Witch

Little Witch

Minikin Snickasnee - called Minx for short - was nine years old and wished with all her heart that she was not a witch's child. ...

It may sound like fun to be the daughter of Madam Snickasnee and be forbidden to go to school, to wash behind your ears, or go to bed at night. You might even like to see certain people you know turned into potted plants and have your own flyin
Published 1963 by Scholastic Book Services (first published 1953)

Ivonne Rovira
I chalk it up to growing up in the 1960s and the influence of Bewitched on TV. Before Twilight “niced up” vampires, Elizabeth Montgomery’s portrayal of good witch Samantha Stevens polished up the image of witches. Since then I’ve befriended a number of Wiccans, who can be characterized as good witches. So when I read Little Witch, I was gobsmacked to discover poor Minikin living in dread fear of her mother, Madam Snickasnee, a most evil witch, one who delights in turning innocent children — well ...more
Aug 08, 2011 Brianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book as a child. Last night when I added it to my shelf here on Goodreads, I read many peoples' comments about how much they loved it and lamented it was no longer in print. Upon learning that it was out of print, I was glad to have my copy. But when I looked for it, I couldn't find it! Instead of my purple Little Witch, I had some other purple witch book that I do not recall at all. I must have unintentionally given away the wrong book. I went to the thrift store today, lik ...more
Sep 18, 2014 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is the first book I ever read. I was slow and introverted. I would go to the school library and check out a lot of books, so that others would think that I read them overnight. I opened the book when I got home and started looking at the pictures the way I did all books, but then I realized that for the first time, I wanted to know what the pictures meant. I began to read it. It enveloped me in a world that paralleled my own. How often I had wanted to find out that I had been kidnapped, so ...more
Carla Peele
Jul 26, 2012 Carla Peele rated it it was amazing
I read this gem over and again as a child, but have looked fruitlessly for it again for nearly 20 years, and my husband finally found it again for me, and I re-read it, pleased to see that the magic has not worn off. It was a childhood favorite of my mother's as well, and she passed this memory down to me. Minikin "Minx" Snickasee was a witch's child, or so she thought...

Never had bathed, was often neglected and abused, underfed, and lived in fear of her mother. But, she had dreams... dreams th
Apr 30, 2011 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my absolute favorite children's book when I was a young child. I signed it out of the school library so many times that I filled up the library card a few times. A few years ago, I was working in the library in an elementary school (different town), and they had a stack of books that they were discarding, and lo and behold...there was the book! I asked if I could keep it and they said yes. I hope some day that my daughter may like to read it.
Oct 31, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children
This was one of my very favorite books as a child - I checked it out from the library multiple times a year. I was glad to have the chance to read it as an adult. Of course, it's not the same now - but I can see how it captured my imagination. I had many day-dreams about mixing different colors of potions :)
Katy St. Clair
Feb 19, 2009 Katy St. Clair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I drove my grade-school librarian nuts, because all I wanted were books about children who were witches. Actually, i just wanted about 40 more books like this one. I believe her name was Dory, which is still one of my favorite names ever since.
Jul 10, 2015 Iris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tale of independent Minikin, or "Minx," enchanted me as a first-grader when I dearly loved the hardcover edition in the Snail Lake Elementary library. Returning to it, I suppose it's as liberated as a 1940s cute-little-lady kid's novel can be. The fourth-grader Minx bravely steps away from the cruel world of witchery, longing for a conventional life; but she learns to embrace the upside of black magic. Her kind nature sways her community to support her flavor of witchcraft. By the end, the s ...more
Aug 01, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many other posters, I read and re-read this story many times as a child and have searched both brick and mortar and online book sellers in vain for this story. I was so pleased to read Melissa McCann's post about it being digitized and available at ePub. I downloaded it on my iPhone as soon as I read that post and imported it into Stanza. Reading it again last night, after so many years was like a reunion with a long lost friend. Thanks, Melissa! If you missed her post and are searching for ...more
Jan 28, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this short paperback book multiple times in my life (most of them during elementary school) and found it magical and delightful every time. The story of Minx (Minikin Snikasnee--the name itself shows you why it's a delightful little book!) as the reluctant witch's daughter who just wants to be a normal little girl and have normal friends probably resonates with the outcast inside all of us. As you see Minx use her ingenuity to live her most hopeful wish, you'll be charmed too. The pen ...more
May 14, 2010 Dawne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cobb
The kids and I just finished this book last night. They really enjoyed it. We read a couple chapters each night, and they couldn't wait to get back to it. I recently found it at my library, and I remember this is the first chapter book I read "all by myself" when I was probably in about second grade. I didn't recall a thing about it, but the title has always stuck in my mind, so I really must have liked it then too!
May 22, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and haven't been able to find a copy in years (I always checked it out from the library). I just found an epub copy online! No illustrations--which were part of what I loved about the original book--but the story is just as I remembered it!
I don't know if this is really a classic, but it was to me. I read this when I was 8 or 9 and it fueled my imagination! It has everything: kindred spirits, the mystery of unknown parentage, witches, potions, and a vulnerable little girl who dreams of a happy family. I still have the tattered old hardcover and guard it like gold.

Mar 03, 2009 Roxana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books I remember with such clarity and fondness from my childhood. I can remember, some years ago (still years after I had actually read it), finding it again and reading it... And discovering that it's just as charming and agreeable a little book as it was when I was four or five. I think "darling" might be the only word to describe it.
Aug 29, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the book that got me hooked on reading. I loved it and read over and over. I remember having to do a book report on this book.
Jackie B. Forman
This is one of those books my mother, my teachers, and their friends all encouraged me to read as a child. It's a coming-of-age story about a little witch named Minx. She lives with a horrible witch who wants Minx to embrace everything evil about witchcraft, but Minx finds that she longs for school and socialization.

This book was everything I expected. It was cute and adorable. The chapters were episodic. The foreshadowing was clear from the beginning. It is a perfect 1950's children's book-- th
Jennifer Heise
Nov 24, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witches
Poor Minx (Minikin) does not want to be a witch, let alone the child of the nasty Mistress Snickasee. But when she escapes during the daytime and meets Frances and other regular children, she at last finds a way out (though some people get turned into Busy Lizzie plants temporarily) and finds out that things are not as they seem.

I adored this as a child especially for the vivid scenes of Minx mixing potions.
Oct 03, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I ever checked out from the book mobile as a child of 7. I have loved this book for more than 45 years and remember how motivated I was to forge a long term relationship with the public library system and this book was one reason.

It was okay, a bit dated. The "good" women were beautiful goddesses who were nurturing, enjoyed cooking and cleaning, and were socially impeccable. The "bad" women were a bit gruff, uncaring, and did not enjoy cooking, cleaning, or house-keeping. But, if you can get past that it was cute.
Jan 20, 2009 Marci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom loved this book from when she was young. She found it and gave it to me and I LOVED IT!! It's an amazing book that is fun and timeless and lets any little girl day dream about broom rides and tall black hats.
Aug 17, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter
I had a great librarian in Elementary School. Because I was obsessed with the show Bewitched, she thought I would like this book. I was in second grade, and I not only loved it, I read it over and over. This little book about magic opened the magic of reading for me.
Aug 23, 2012 Melanti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I loved this book when I was a kid and have been wondering what the name of it was. Someone just posted a note about it in a forum I frequent and I recognized the cover immediately. I used to wish that MY mother was an evil witch so that I wouldn't have to do the dishes either.
Oct 30, 2012 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, children
One of my all-time favorite books to read to children. Witchy parents aren't who you think they are. And you might not be who you are, too. Great ideas for children...
Mar 03, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book in the 3rd grade! I remember trying to see how many times I could read the book that year...I think I got past 25 times! Dedication for a 9 year old!!
Jan 28, 2011 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to Dana by: shelf
i didn't think much of this book when I saw the cover while pulling it off the shelf. But wow, magic spells and HUGE misconceptions, this book it amazing-ly great!
Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer)
I love this book! I grew up on it and read it often. I used to check it out at the library at me school several times every year!lol
This was one of my favorites as a child. My sister and I played the characters for hours on a regular basis.
Tabetha Elliss
Jan 02, 2013 Tabetha Elliss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, youth
My favorite book growing up!I read it and reread it countless times. I need to find a copy so I can share it with my daughters.
Aug 04, 2011 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was still in elementary school. I've loved it ever since (sadly out of print the last time I checked).
This was a long-lost title in my brain until someone else on goodreads posted it! Thanks! It was fun to revisit this elementary school favorite.
first book I ever read more than once 5 15 Apr 06, 2013 03:25PM
  • The Little Leftover Witch
  • Dorrie's Magic (Dorrie the Little Witch, #1)
  • The Wednesday Witch
  • Fog Magic
  • Humbug Witch
  • Only a Witch Can Fly
  • Two Are Better Than One
  • The Witch Family
  • Lavender-Green Magic (The Magic Series, #5)
  • Sukey and the Mermaid
  • Twig
  • The Secret Language
  • The Witches' Supermarket
  • Linnets and Valerians
Anna Elizabeth Bennett worked at the Brooklyn Children’s Museum and the Brooklyn Public Library in the 1940s and 50s.

Later she was a children’s librarian in Massachusetts. Her best-selling children’s book Little Witch remained in print for more than forty years and inspired hundreds of children to write to the author, telling her how much they enjoyed the story.

She died in 2002 at the age of 87.
More about Anna Elizabeth Bennett...