Little Witch

Little Witch

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  477 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Minikin Snickasnee - called Minx for short - was nine years old and wished with all her heart that she was not a witch's child. ...

It may sound like fun to be the daughter of Madam Snickasnee and be forbidden to go to school, to wash behind your ears, or go to bed at night. You might even like to see certain people you know turned into potted plants and have your own flyin...more
Published 1963 by Scholastic Book Services (first published 1953)

Carla Peele
I read this gem over and again as a child, but have looked fruitlessly for it again for nearly 20 years, and my husband finally found it again for me, and I re-read it, pleased to see that the magic has not worn off. It was a childhood favorite of my mother's as well, and she passed this memory down to me. Minikin "Minx" Snickasee was a witch's child, or so she thought...

Never had bathed, was often neglected and abused, underfed, and lived in fear of her mother. But, she had dreams... dreams th...more
Katy St. Clair
I drove my grade-school librarian nuts, because all I wanted were books about children who were witches. Actually, i just wanted about 40 more books like this one. I believe her name was Dory, which is still one of my favorite names ever since.
Brianne
This was my favorite book as a child. Last night when I added it to my shelf here on Goodreads, I read many peoples' comments about how much they loved it and lamented it was no longer in print. Upon learning that it was out of print, I was glad to have my copy. But when I looked for it, I couldn't find it! Instead of my purple Little Witch, I had some other purple witch book that I do not recall at all. I must have unintentionally given away the wrong book. I went to the thrift store today, lik...more
Ruth
I've read this short paperback book multiple times in my life (most of them during elementary school) and found it magical and delightful every time. The story of Minx (Minikin Snikasnee--the name itself shows you why it's a delightful little book!) as the reluctant witch's daughter who just wants to be a normal little girl and have normal friends probably resonates with the outcast inside all of us. As you see Minx use her ingenuity to live her most hopeful wish, you'll be charmed too. The pen...more
Katie
Like many other posters, I read and re-read this story many times as a child and have searched both brick and mortar and online book sellers in vain for this story. I was so pleased to read Melissa McCann's post about it being digitized and available at ePub. I downloaded it on my iPhone as soon as I read that post and imported it into Stanza. Reading it again last night, after so many years was like a reunion with a long lost friend. Thanks, Melissa! If you missed her post and are searching for...more
Valerie
This was my absolute favorite children's book when I was a young child. I signed it out of the school library so many times that I filled up the library card a few times. A few years ago, I was working in the library in an elementary school (different town), and they had a stack of books that they were discarding, and lo and behold...there was the book! I asked if I could keep it and they said yes. I hope some day that my daughter may like to read it.
Dawne
The kids and I just finished this book last night. They really enjoyed it. We read a couple chapters each night, and they couldn't wait to get back to it. I recently found it at my library, and I remember this is the first chapter book I read "all by myself" when I was probably in about second grade. I didn't recall a thing about it, but the title has always stuck in my mind, so I really must have liked it then too!
Roxana
This is one of those books I remember with such clarity and fondness from my childhood. I can remember, some years ago (still years after I had actually read it), finding it again and reading it... And discovering that it's just as charming and agreeable a little book as it was when I was four or five. I think "darling" might be the only word to describe it.
Dena
I don't know if this is really a classic, but it was to me. I read this when I was 8 or 9 and it fueled my imagination! It has everything: kindred spirits, the mystery of unknown parentage, witches, potions, and a vulnerable little girl who dreams of a happy family. I still have the tattered old hardcover and guard it like gold.

Melissa
I loved this book and haven't been able to find a copy in years (I always checked it out from the library). I just found an epub copy online! No illustrations--which were part of what I loved about the original book--but the story is just as I remembered it!

Krista
This is the first book I ever read. I was slow and introverted. I would go to the school library and check out a lot of books, so that others would think that I read them overnight. I opened the book when I got home and started looking at the pictures the way I did all books, but then I realized that for the first time, I wanted to know what the pictures meant. I began to read it. It enveloped me in a world that paralleled my own. How often I had wanted to find out that I had been kidnapped, so...more
Nancy Kotkin
First published in 1953, this children's classic consistently tops the list of most in demand out-of-print books. I recently purchased the 60th anniversary edition from Amazon. Although the illustrations are old-fashioned and the writing style is outdated (including a heavy reliance on adverbs), the story is charming and I can see why it would still appeal to kids today.

Minx, a brave and spunky nine-year-old witch's daughter, longs to be like other children. Against her mother's wishes, she head...more
Melanti
I loved this book when I was a kid and have been wondering what the name of it was. Someone just posted a note about it in a forum I frequent and I recognized the cover immediately. I used to wish that MY mother was an evil witch so that I wouldn't have to do the dishes either.
Lori
I had a great librarian in Elementary School. Because I was obsessed with the show Bewitched, she thought I would like this book. I was in second grade, and I not only loved it, I read it over and over. This little book about magic opened the magic of reading for me.
Linda
This was the first book I ever checked out from the book mobile as a child of 7. I have loved this book for more than 45 years and remember how motivated I was to forge a long term relationship with the public library system and this book was one reason.
Marci
My mom loved this book from when she was young. She found it and gave it to me and I LOVED IT!! It's an amazing book that is fun and timeless and lets any little girl day dream about broom rides and tall black hats.
Julie
I LOVED this book in the 3rd grade! I remember trying to see how many times I could read the book that year...I think I got past 25 times! Dedication for a 9 year old!!
Dana
Jan 28, 2011 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to Dana by: shelf
i didn't think much of this book when I saw the cover while pulling it off the shelf. But wow, magic spells and HUGE misconceptions, this book it amazing-ly great!
Hope
One of my all-time favorite books to read to children. Witchy parents aren't who you think they are. And you might not be who you are, too. Great ideas for children...
Tamsyn
This was a long-lost title in my brain until someone else on goodreads posted it! Thanks! It was fun to revisit this elementary school favorite.
Amy
This was the book that got me hooked on reading. I loved it and read over and over. I remember having to do a book report on this book.
Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer)
I love this book! I grew up on it and read it often. I used to check it out at the library at me school several times every year!lol
Liz
I read this book in grade school and grew up thinking that if I saw something out of the corner of my eye, I should shout "I love you!".
Deborah
I read this book when I was still in elementary school. I've loved it ever since (sadly out of print the last time I checked).
Tabetha Elliss
My favorite book growing up!I read it and reread it countless times. I need to find a copy so I can share it with my daughters.
Tara
This was one of my favorites as a child. My sister and I played the characters for hours on a regular basis.
Rachel
When I was eight-years-old, I probably read this book a hundred times. This is partly because my family went on a two-week vacation and I stupidly thought bringing one book would suffice, but I also remember sitting on the front steps of my house and reading it over and over again as well. I don't know what happened to my copy and the book has long been out of print, but I would occasionally see someone selling a used copy on Amazon for $75 or some likewise ridiculous price. Recently, someone pu...more
missy montgomery
Aug 20, 2007 missy montgomery rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: EVERYONE who believes that things aren't always what they seem.
I read this book for the first time when I was 7 year old. It made such an impression on me, that I remembered it years later. I use to wish that I was "Minikin" the little witch. In fact I loved this book so much that when I couldn't find it available in the library anymore, my ex-husband found a copy on ebay and purchased it for me. This book is now out of print.So finding it to read is somewhat of a challenge. I am NOT willing to part with my copy, I treaure it too much. If anyne wants to rea...more
Jessica
I always loved this story of the witch's daughter who truly believes that she was born to something sweeter and kinder, and sneaks into her mother's collection of potions and powders to conjure otherworldly creatures to find her true family, while befriending the "normal" kids from school. The potion colors each conjure a different magical creature, and I was entranced with the way each color seemed to suit the creature just perfectly, expressing the essence of the color.
Andrea
When I was in elementary school my 1st or 2nd grade teacher read this book to the class and I loved it so much that I remembered the title after all these years. I was wanting something fun to read with Sierra for Halloween and this short chapter book fits the bill! I started reading it aloud on Sunday and Jennica finished it on her own Monday and Daxen has listened in to all our reading sessions. It's just a cute kids book! Enjoy!
first book I ever read more than once 5 13 Apr 06, 2013 03:25PM
  • The Wednesday Witch
  • The Witch Family
  • Katie John
  • Lavender-Green Magic
  • The Secret Language
  • Below the Root (Green Sky, #1)
  • Baby Island
  • Searching for David's Heart: A Christmas Story
  • The Best-Loved Doll (An Owlet Book)
  • Fog Magic