B is for Bethlehem

B is for Bethlehem

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Tender and joyful, this alphabet board book tells the story of Jesus' birth in graceful couplets. Radiant collage art shimmers with all the glad expectancy of the Christmas season. The original picture book edition was an American Bookseller Pick of the Lists and a Child Study Association Book of the Year.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 16th 2004 by Dutton Juvenile (first published September 6th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about B is for Bethlehem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B is for Bethlehem

Melissa
A fellow librarian at Towson saw this book on our "Winter Wonderland" display and informed me that it was written by a former TU librarian so of course I had to read it! I was delightfully surprised - most alphabet books are simply a stating of the letters and corresponding words, however Wilner deftly tells the story of the birth of Jesus chronologically by pulling out key terms for each letter. The corresponding illustrations appear to be collages of sorts and are a lovely addition to the stor...more
Alice
Summary:
The story of the birth of Jesus is told through an alphabet of traditional Christmas words through couplets—one for each letter of the alphabet, A-Z. Each letter and couplet is accompanied by a collage art illustration.

This book is a visual treasure that sings gladness across the centuries and reflects my beliefs and Christian tradition.

Wilner deftly tells the story of Jesus’ birth beginning each Couplet with a letter of the alphabet. The word that matches each letter is a key word for...more
Megan
Dec 06, 2010 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
I found this self-titled "Christmas Alphabet" at a thrift store a few years ago. I LOVE the illustrations! Colorful, unique, and elaborate in their conception and creation. The rhyming text is also quite clever: "X is for EXcelsis, the song angels sang. 'Gloria in excelsis' their clear voices rang." is just one of the many alphabet examples you'll find in "B is for Bethlehem". A great book to read to little ones at Christmas.
Lynne
This is a little board book, but it is certainly for those well above the age for board books too! I found this book at the library book sorting and brought it home as something for my grand-daughter; however, I am thinking of making it part of my Christmas decorations for awhile. She is certainly at the age for board books, but I think this one is actually written for someone older. Lovely little book.
Janet
.since discovering this older title three years ago, I have read it sometime during or near the Christmas season. The first two yeas ig was reading the text and enjoying who each leter represented something in the Chistma story. Tonight's read was mainly marveling a the detail in the collages--one of my favorite art forms. Although done for children this is a great adult Advent and Christmas read.
Miriam
Checked this out from the library close to Christmas after the books had been picked over. Was surprised to find how wonderful it was: beautiful, whimsical art that follows the story of Jesus' birth and then the praise the world gives throughout history. The biggest surprise was that Mimi got it, though it is pretty abstract. Maybe the ABC tie connected with her. We will buy it!
Melanie
An alphabet book for the Christmas season. Found the illustrations a little to crazy distracting for my personal tastes. The author has to stretch a little for some of the more "difficult" letters. Don't know that we will check this one out next year, but it was worth getting once I guess.
Marcelle
I loved the gorgeous illustrations in this book and I think I enjoyed it more than my kids. It is a creative holiday alphabet book--whether you are in Zeeland, Zurich or Zanzibar.
Josette
I love the illustrations in this book, and the fact that the author manages to not use a lame word for the letter "x". It rhymes, too!
Jeannie
With each letter of the alphabet the important parts of the Christmas story are represented. Beautifully written and illustrated.
Janice
I met Isabel Wilner while taking a literature class at Towson. She is delightful and I got her to sign this book.
Jessica
My girls love alphabet books, and this one is perfect for the Christmas season... The pictures are lovely.
Dorothea
Fun artwork. Christmas alphabet book.
Jenny
What a beautiful book.
Cindi
Dec 26, 2008 Cindi marked it as to-read
BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!
Brent Moen
Brent Moen marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Alexandra Nelms
Alexandra Nelms marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Joan
Joan added it
Mar 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Baby's Game Book A Garden Alphabet POETRY TROUPE (Poetry Troupe Juv)