Start by marking “Alibi For Isabel” as Want to Read:
Alibi For Isabel

Alibi For Isabel

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Alibi For Isabel" offers nine classic tales of spine-tingling suspense set in several different East Coast cities during the 1940s.
Published December 1st 2000 by Kensington (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Alibi For Isabel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alibi For Isabel

Ryan G
There are two things I love in life, well more than that but only two that have anything to do with what I'm doing here, short stories and Mary Roberts Rinehart. Now granted, when I got a hold of this book, I did not know that it was a collection of 9 short stories. I thought I would be in store for another great mystery set around a wonderful heroine and an intriguing storyline. What I ended up with was so much better.

Each one of the stories, mystery or not, showcases what Mary Roberts Rinehart
Mary Rinehart has some dated notions in her short stories, but it wasn't enough to detract from the obvious talent she told them with. Some of the best written female characters I've ever come across. Strong, resilient, feminine while not pandering to a trope of either being a damsel in distress or a tomboy.

Rinehart may have some far-fetched ideas that start to strain when it comes to plausibility, but she makes you care about the people in the stories so much and makes them so three-dimensional
Nine short stories that were written during the Golden Age of Mystery that reflect some of the the pressures at work in society during World War II and the Great Depression. Some of the attitudes are dated, but the strong writing will keep readers interested.
Susan Jo Grassi
At first I was a little confused. I didn't realize this was a book of short stories. Once I got that settled in my mind I really enjoyed each a everyone.
When I picked up this book, I didn't realise that it is a collection of short stories. I was therefore disappointed. The stories are okay but not memorable and at least two of them left me with a feeling of 'Huh? What was the point of that?'. This made a two only because I'm being generous.
Good collection stories - sentimental, emotional, family and thrillers.
I like the writing style, but sometimes, if you are not focused, we loose who is talking to whom.
Gyung-Min marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Pamela marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
Geetanjali marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Nicole added it
Aug 13, 2014
Morpheus marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Catherine Graham
Catherine Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Paul added it
Oct 21, 2013
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Becky marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.

Rinehart wrote hundreds of short stories, poems, travelogues and special
More about Mary Roberts Rinehart...