Start by marking “The Elements of Journalism: What Newspeople Should Know and the Public Should Expect (Completely Updated and Revised)” as Want to Read:

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  571 ratings  ·  67 reviews
The Book That Every Citizen and Journalist Should Read What this book does better than any single book on media history, ethics, or practice is weave . . . together] why media audiences have fled and why new technology and megacorporate ownership are putting good journalism at risk. --Rasmi Simhan, Boston Globe Kovach and Rosenstiel's essays on each element] are concise ge ...more
Published April 24th 2007 by Three Rivers Press (CA) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Elements of Journalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elements of Journalism

Mike Cognato
Banal crap.

The book came recommended by William Safire, so I had high hopes. But, like most established journalists writing about journalism, the authors just wring their hands and lament that the golden age of journalism has been lost. No real analysis, and definitely no worthwhile suggestions. The authors are terrified of anything new and difficult to control from a newsroom desk, and seem utterly unaware that publications outside the United States actually exist; that news aggregators drive r
Tomi
A 'must-read' book about contemporary journalism, which has been heavily affected by the powerful companies as well as strong political groups. The book outlines basic principles for journalists to maintain the quality of their works to serve the public --and eventually make the media business running well.
Pandasurya
Kebenaran Itu Ibarat Cicak

Tulisan ini berawal dari sebuah film dan akan berakhir pada sebuah film.

“The truth is out there”, kata film seri terkenal The X-Files. Kebenaran itu ada di luar sana. Kalimat itu seperti menyiratkan bahwa kebenaran yang ada di luar sana bisa dicari, bisa ditemukan, meski tidak selalu mudah. Tapi siapa yang merasa perlu mencari kebenaran itu? Buku ini memberi jawab: wartawanlah yang mencari dan menyampaikan karena ada warga yang membutuhkan. Tapi tentu wartawan bukanlah
Munib
Jul 18, 2007 Munib added it
These are tough times for journalism. Newsroom executives' bonuses tend to be based on their company's profit margin. Journalists are constantly jockeying for the time and space necessary to tell their stories as they see fit. Only 47 percent of Americans even read a newspaper. And Time and Newsweek--news magazines, remember?--"were seven times more likely to have the same cover story as People magazine in 1997 than in 1977."

It's no wonder that in 1997, the Committee of Concerned Journalists for
Amanda Vollmershausen
This book was mandatory reading for my first year journalism course, but it would have been worth reading outside of class. It made me think about basic concepts in new ways and clarified a lot of things that were muddled to me before. I'd recommend it to anyone getting started/looking into journalism as well as any news consumer, to understand the reliability and limitations of the press.
Lisa Rau
Really more for those entrenched in journalism and public service rather than the everyday consumer, but a compelling and thorough review of the basic building blocks of "good journalism." However, the authors fail to devote enough pages to conflicts of interest--namely, corporate ones--as this is a huge, inescapable issue for any publication, especially ones that claim to purport the truth.
Jerry
It has generally good advice, but it lacks conviction and uses strangely inappropriate examples. It asks journalists to aspire to the scientific method, but without the socially hard work that the scientific method entails, such as telling your readers how to falsify your work. And the examples it uses are self-defeating, if it is to be taken at face value. For example, in the section on verification it praises David Protess and the Anthony Porter/Alstory Simon case—a case which appears to be pu ...more
John Kissell
Very well written, well thought out plan for journalists. It was very useful in my beginning journalism class (university level).
Jason
What we think we know influences what we do, so if journalism fails to inform, can Democracy outlast it? This is a question raised time and time again in Elements.

The authors tackle a rather open-ended question: what is journalism for? Here we get a brief history of journalism and the forces that gave rise to it, and a survey of the challenges facing journalism in the modern age. The authors' conclusion is that journalism is essential to Democracy, and yet journalism may yet get swallowed up by
Belarius
Jan 26, 2008 Belarius rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People Who Read Or Listen Or See
In cooperation with the Committee of Concerned Journalists, Kovach and Rosenstiel assemble the consensus in the field of journalism about what it is that journalists do. They then examine how each of those principles are affected (possibly even under threat) by the "new media" we face today.

What Kovach and Rosenstiel set out to do here is very ambitious: to outline a set of principles that define the very best journalism, to frame those principles in centuries of journalistic tradition and decad
Steven
At times a bracing call to arms, at others a sobering look at the failures and triumphs of journalists, "The Elements of Journalism" by Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel carries principles and implications that affect anyone involved with and affected by the news media. While it can get a little too abstract at times, the authors articulate with clear conviction why we need a press that maintains its principles and a public to ensure that it follows them. Without responsible and ethical journalists ...more
Dorian Santiago
There were so many strong arguments which hold very true for contemporary journalism and the press in the United States, and their presentations were corroborated well by the great segmentation throughout all the chapters. The deconstruction of objectivity as the paramount of journalism at its most successful level was a well-executed recurring part of this book, too. I would say that this is a staple read for anyone interested in both the ever-changing and constant dynamics of journalism that h ...more
Elizabeth
I just finished The Elements of Journalism and I have to say it is a very insightful, compelling and intelligent book. I picked this book up in hopes that it would help me with my senior thesis on democracy and the media and I was right. The book offered various viewpoints and ideas to help turn the press from what it is into what it should be, namely returning it to be the Fourth Estate. The authors argue that by employing the suggestions they give journalism can return to working for the publi ...more
Ryan
This book gets very mixed reviews. I rate it 5 stars because of the simple definition it gives of journalism: "journalism is a discipline of verification." This concept, concise and straightforward, has deeply impacted how I think about news, journalism, reporting, tabloid, and trade press writing.
Udin
jurnalisme itu praksis daripada teoritis. tetapi sebagai praksis, bukan lalu ia lepas dari prinsip-prinsip ideal yang mengerangkainya. buku ini memaparkan pengalaman, kegelisahan, dan permenungan tentang praktik jurnalisme.
Daniel
Through the use of hundreds of interviews with people in journalism and data from polls and other primary/secondary source goodness, Kovach examines the core principles that (should) guide journalists in their news reporting duties. He explains the role of the media in society and how it has become what it is today, and he goes into what we as consumers expect from a news organization. "New Media" is increasingly filling that void, which Kovach also examines, though he is more wary about it than ...more
Christine Granados
Should be required reading for every college student or citizen of the US. They need to be reminded of what "good" journalism is and stands for.
Shannon
It was pretty good. I enjoyed the examples it presented for each principle/element it outlined and an analysis of what we can do to achieve these principles. Yet I didn't like how the book seemed to act as if it was the ultimate authority on how to solve all of the newsrooms' problems. It would say, "We must..." or "If we follow the principles outlined in the book..." and did not present anyone else's opinions on how to change, fix, or better modern journalism. I feel confident that these people ...more
Julia
Clear and full of interesting quotes from many journalists. Well done.
za
Aku membelinya, patungan berempat bersama teman-teman di Boulevard ITB. Ikram, Ani, Athia, juga aku. Buku yang kami beli versi Bahasa Indonesia. Diterbitkan dengan judul, 9 Elemen Jurnalisme.

Aku belum membacanya hingga usai. Yang aku ingat, Goenawan Mohammad yang menulis pengantarnya. Sesuai dengan judulnya, buku ini menjabarkan sembilan elemen jurnalisme. Pantas dibaca bagi mereka yang ingin menjadi wartawan atau ingin memahami bagaimana berita di media massa.
Inggita
as more and more aspects of our lives and critical decisions we made and our worldview are influenced by the news we read and watch, we have to know our rights/responsibilities as consumers of the news, as well as the newspeople themselves should know what are expected of them. this book will tell us how. you have to read and remember it. and that's that, mate.
Bruce Vines
This is turning out to be a much better book than I anticipated. There's much more here than simply learning how to be a journalist. It discusses some history of journalism and most interesting is a journalist talking about what a journalist is trying to accomplish. This would be a terrific book for professional journalists to read as well.
Ugh
Pretty readable and useful. Sometimes a bit belaboured. Very American. Made me thankful Britain still has the BBC (for now), even if the best print news we get comes from elsewhere.
M Mushthafa
Buku ini sangat bagus. Memberikan penegasan dan panduan agar jurnalisme tetap menjadi bagian dari laku moral dalam membentuk masyarakat yang lebih baik. Jurnalis wajib membaca buku ini. Warga masyarakat juga perlu membaca buku ini untuk dapat memastikan bahwa hak-hak mereka atas informasi dapat tetap terjaga.
Jeff
I blog a lot and realized that it was some form of journalism. Then I freaked out and couldn't tell if I was just a tabloid writer. This book talks about what journalism is and what it's not. It's written to teach the MySpace/Youtube generation how informing the public is supposed to go.
Brendan
Journos should tell the truth. What a shocking concept. Glibness aside, a good reminder on the ethics of the craft and interesting anecdotes. But a bit too academic and lofty for me in an age of furloughs, thinning newsprint, Twitter, Google, Facebook, blogs, etc.
Daniel
This book does an amazing job at outlining the basic purposes that journalism serves. It covers journalism's watchdog role, what it owes to its readers, who journalists REALLY work for, and how journalists should maintain objectivity. Highly recommended.
MacDara Conroy
A deeply informative and engrossing examination of journalists' role in the modern information equation. Recommended for anyone who reads what journalists write: that's what the editor of The Guardian says on the front cover, and who am I to argue?
Megan
This is one of the best books for journalists to read. Although I feel like sometimes most journalism books are geared towards print (I'm a radio gal myself), this book has good information regardless of what type of journalism you go into.
  • Jurnalisme Sastrawi: Antologi Liputan Mendalam dan Memikat
  • The Associated Press Stylebook: and Briefing on Media Law, Fully Revised and Updated [2004]
  • Writing for Story: Craft Secrets of Dramatic Nonfiction
  • The Art and Craft of Feature Writing: Based on The Wall Street Journal Guide
  • Telling True Stories: A Nonfiction Writers' Guide from the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University
  • Shivering Sands: Seven Years of Stories, Drinking and the World
  • A Dirty War
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The New New Journalism: Conversations with America's Best Nonfiction Writers on Their Craft
  • We the Media: Grassroots Journalism by the People, for the People
  • The Death and Life of American Journalism: The Media Revolution that Will Begin the World Again
  • 100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature
  • Letters to a Young Journalist
  • 50 Facts That Should Change the World
  • Tell Me No Lies: Investigative Journalism and its Triumphs
  • Essentials of International Relations
Blur: How to Know What's True in the Age of Information Overload Warp Speed: America in the Age of Mixed Media Reporting Civil Rights, Part One: American Journalism 1941-1963 (Library of America #137)