Start by marking “In Your Dreams (Blue Heron #4)” as Want to Read:
In Your Dreams (Blue Heron #4)

In Your Dreams (Blue Heron #4)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,844 ratings  ·  338 reviews
Emmaline Neal needs a date. Just a date—someone to help her get through her ex-fiancé's wedding without losing her mind. But pickings are slim in Manningsport, New York, population 715. In fact, there's really only one option: local heartthrob Jack Holland. Everyone loves Jack, and he won't get the wrong idea…. After all, Jack Holland would never actually be interested in ...more
Published September 30th 2014 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about In Your Dreams, please sign up.

Melody I read The Best Man a few days ago and it was mentioned in reference to her accent.

Here is the excerpt: "Why are so many people in my way?" asked…more

Here is the excerpt: "Why are so many people in my way?" asked Mrs. Johnson. The long-time Holland housekeeper managed somehow to convey terror in her beautiful, lilting Jamaican accent.(less)

Didi
4.5 STARS

have I mentioned how much I love KH??? Minus one book, everything she's written has earned 4 or 5 stars for me. She's incredible!

We finally get Jack Holland's story and I LOVED IT. I've often wondered about him throughout the series and I never knew he endured so much from a disaster of a marriage to a heroic rescue that left him debilitated emotionally. He and Emmaline were fantastic together. He'd had a history of rescuing and falling for the damsel in distress, but with Em, he found
♥~♥Geri ~ the HEA junkie ♥~♥
If you're a fan of Kristan Higgins, especially her Blue Heron series, then you would undoubtedly enjoy In Your Dreams. This book is about Jack Holland, the all-around American hero and all around nice guy and Emmaline.

Their romance is unconventional because you would never thought of them as being the perfect match. Emmaline suffered from residual insecurities due to her stutter and then being dumped by her fiance for a gorgeously lithe Barbie. Meanwhile, Jack was tired of being called a hero e
Duchess Nicole
4.5 Stars :D

Again, I prostrate myself at Kristan Higgins feet. Goddess of sweet, sexless contemporary romance, divinity of realistic, sometimes slapstick comedy, wise woman of heart and meaningful relationships...you get the idea.

I've never not loved a KH book. I like to think that this author, above most other authors I've read, leaves a little piece of herself in each story she writes. Most authors have a certain tone to their books, but it's more evident with this lady right here. Sometimes g
Shawna
Nov 19, 2014 Shawna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: contemporary-romance, kristan-higgins, hh-divorcee, small-town-lovin, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, exes-annoying-troublesome-crazy, rt-book-reviews-4-stars, 2014-reads, 4-to-5-stars, animals-matter, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, best-faves-of-2014, best-snarkasm-humor, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, chick-lit, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, ending-abrupt-poor-epilogue-needed, fake-faux-betrothal-engagement, fake-pretend-dating-relationship, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, friends-to-lovers, heartwarming, hero-beta, hero-flirt-charmer-ladies-man, hero-gentleman, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, hero-not-enough-groveling, hero-protective, hero-too-yummy-perfect-to-be-true, heroine-curvy-plump-not-stick-thin, heroine-free-spirit-quirky, heroine-girl-next-door, heroine-hoyden, heroine-i-adore, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-miss-independent, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, heroine-plain-jane-ugly-duckling, heroine-ridiculed-unpopular, heroine-self-esteem-issues, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, heroine-weak-forgives-too-easily, hh-athlete-jock, hh-not-together-enough, hh-story-distracted-from-romance, humor-fall-off-the-couch-funny-lol, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, i-read-library, made-me-cry, steam-0-clean-no-heat, steam-1-tepid, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, syrupy-sweet-sentimental-schmaltz, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, hero-military-war-veteran, sports-romance-hot-jocks, firefighter-paramedic-emt
4-4 ½ stars – Contemporary Romance

I really enjoyed this one! I’ve read every single KH book and despite their more chick-lit feel and the no/very low steam, fade to black love scenes, I always somehow find myself engaged, charmed, and entertained by her witty writing, fun, quirky characters, and sweet, humorous stories.

KH created another genuine, flawed, cute, funny, strong, insecure, loveable, lonely, relatable heroine in Emmaline and made me feel every emotion right along with her. Jack was a
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Quick summary
Emmaline Neal was cruelly dumped by her fiancé three years ago and now he's getting married to the woman he left her for. She's over him (kinda) and needs a date to accompany her to the wedding (long but credible story as to why she has to attend). Jack Holland, the town's gorgeous good guy agrees to help her out as that's what he does and he needs a respite from the hero worship coming from a recent, daring rescue.

Conflicts
Jack's not avoiding al
Disco
These are just getting worse and worse. At first I really loved Kristan Higgins' books, but now they are rote:
Heroine has dog? Check!
Heroine humiliates herself in public? Check!
Heroine goes on at least one terrible date? Check!
H or h are so nice they're a doormat? Check!
Heroine is still in love with someone who is awful? Check!
Bitchy comments about Vegans from alleged animal lovers? Check!
Heroine isn't obese even though she eats twice her weight in junk food? Check!
It just sucks because t
Tiffany
Emma
Another very funny read by Kristan Higgins. I love her humor, and it never feels forced to me either.
I really enjoyed knowing Jack more. He was a great guy but not too perfect (hated to see him being oh Too Nice with his crazy ex). Emmaline was a fantastic heroine. I always love the unconventional beauties and Emmaline was just that. It took time to Jack and the reader to discover how wonderful a woman she really was.

Unfortunately, again I should add, KH decided to chop on the romance to leave r
Kyraryker
****Full Review****

Emmaline is a tough chick with a soft sensitive side that she tries to keep guarded. She grew up with a stutter that led to her being ostracized from the other kids, well except from the other outcast Kevin, who was obese. They ended up being each other's shoulder to cry on and their friendship evolved into a romance. As Kevin gets unhealthier
Laylah
I swore off this author a while back. I used to be a big fan, buying every book on the first day out. Then, things went south (you can read my not-so-nice reviews of her other recent books) to the point that I swore off this author a while back. This was done with my utter regret because my favorite author list was already really short. Then this book came along. I didn't intend to pick it up at first, but I was in a deep funk. I can't finish a book for a very long time, it's like nothing can en ...more
Negar Arvanaghi
As usual, this was really funny. There was one line, that made me stop and have to close the book just so I could crack up. I had to skip it just so I could finish the book once I calmed down.

Goggy still cracks me up even after all this time. I hated Em's mom and wanted her to be eaten by fire ants. Same with Kevin. You would think Hadley would inspire hatred, but I just felt sorry for her.

It was nice to catch up with the Hollands. Levi is still the best mate evah. Jack is sexy and he knows it.
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
Ok...YES...I wanted to punch one of the secondary characters in the face repeatedly...BUT...I have to say, IN YOUR DREAMS just solidified that for me, Kristan Higgins is in a league of her own. Now, that is said not to put other amazing authors down..but it is just something about the magic of her talent, the writing, the plots, the humor, the emotion, the world building, the Special Something that is Kristan Higgins, and it just can't be duplicated.

For those who are HUGE Higgins fans like me,
ShoSho

From netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I've been thinking about this book and what to write about it for 4 days now. This was not my favorite book from Kristan Higgins and the reason is the heroine . IMO her character was not consistent throughout the book . One moment she was this confident police officer and next she was this crazy woman who said and did stupid things!(specially in the wedding scenes ).Those scenes were suppose to be funny but I didn't find it funny at all.

I liked the
Angie
This book was a hot mess and that's all there is to it. I am a fan of Kristan Higgins' backlist, and the first book in the Blue Heron series was a delight. But this series has gone downhill with each installment and this was the worst yet. It had no focus, lacked any kind of reliable pacing, and continually treated its two protagonists as though they (and their readers) were extremely dense. What a disappointment.
Kristy
Ohhh, I really liked this book! It had me laughing out loud from the first chapter all the way through to the end of the book. It was funny, sweet, and entirely a great read. I wish the ending had been slightly more climactic but since it ends happily, I'll say all's well that ends well. I can't decide if this is my new favorite of the Blue Heron series or if The Best Man will stay on top. I think I'll go back and read both again to decide!
Tif
Technically probably 1-1/2 Stars but I just can't bear to give Kristan Higgins a 1 star. Normally I really like her books but this one? Not so much. What was wrong with it? Let me count the ways...

1. LEAVE Manningsport. Why do authors insist on creating these series'?? It seems all at once lazy--not having to come up with new characters--and a lot of work--having to "catch us up" on the other characters from the past books or having to introduce new readers to them. Too many characters. Too much
Kindle Gal
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Kristan Higgins’s books. Not that I’ve ever actually hated one of her books (I absolutely haven’t), but they are a little hit-or-miss for me. While I love 90% of her writing, it’s that pesky 10% that trips me up and keeps her from staying atop my favorites list.

So for this review, I’m going to break down what I did and didn’t like about In Your Dreams...

What I Loved:

1. The heroine, Emmaline. WHAT?! Is it possible a heroine escaped my usual scorn and
Kimberly
description

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! This was exactly what I need. From beginning to end this was literally laugh out loud funny.

Emmaline was such a nut! She is a hockey playing cop still licking her wounds from an awful break up. When she needs a date for her ex's wedding she's pushed into the arms of non other than Jack !!!

Jack, Jack, Jack

As a fan of Blue Herons I have been waiting to get a piece of this stud muffin for a while. Kristan so did not disappoint with this one. But really does she ever?!
Maldivianbookreviewer
The fourth book in the Blue Heron series by Kristan Higgins tells the story of Jack Holland, the only son in the out of John Holland’s four children. Jack has been a substantial part of the previous novels in the series and I was properly excited to be finally reading about him and his road to the happily ever after.

Jack handles the actual wine making process behind the Blue Heron vineyard, the family’s business. Everyone sees and defines Jack as perfection itself from his family to everyone in
Isamlq
It is impossible to stay pissed when reading a book by Kristan Higgins. I was leg-stomping, thigh-slapping with how funny moments in this were. Better yet, the humor was on equal footing with all other emotions explored. So, yes, one can not not end up happy-content or in less a pisser of a mood after this.

As previous books in this series have prepared us- Jack indeed is a prince of a lead. Mostly. Because what we have is a guy who likes to do the right thing all the time, even when he's not up
Jen
Thank you Little Bird Publicity and Harlequin for this ARC! Kristan Higgins is on my short list of "AutoRead" authors and her Blue Heron Series is one of my favorites!

There's really only two things you need to know about this book:

1) Jack Holland

Who I imagine looks a little like this with his blue blue eyes.

Photo: Pinterest

2) And chocolate cake.

Photo: Jenuine Cupcakes

Okay, so maybe there are a few other things you should know...like how Kristan Higgins continues to give readers a relateable fe
Daniela
Received ARC from author in exchange for an honest review....(to come)

I just adore Jack!!! Who says nice guys finish last? I really enjoy the writing style. The author dedicates full chapters to telling the back story and in the next chapter the present storyline continues. Because they are chapter-long it feels more like a mini story within a story.

Jack is the brother of Faith (The Best Man) and Honor (The Perfect Match). He is a really nice guy. Everyone knows he is THE great guy to call when
Cynthia W
2 stars- only because it's by Kristan Higgins. Really didn't like any of the characters, except for Sarge. Jack, as a hero, lacked personality, except for being such a milque-toast about his ex - Jack should have told her to get lost a long time ago. And the fact that he kept falling for her stupid bids for attention?! Meh. He deserves her. Added to the fact that there was no chemistry between Jack & Emmaline, made this a not-very-enjoyable read for me.

Better luck next time, Ms. Higgins.
Vox
I love Kristan Higgins. I love the way she writes, I love her characters, and I desperately want to be her friend. Can I be objective when I review her books? I think so. I mean, I haven't adored them all. This one, though, I like a lot.

Continuing with her Blue Heron series, we now get Jack's story. The only brother of three sisters, Jack helps run the family's wine business after a brief stint in the Navy. He's known as the good guy in town, the man women call on when they need a 'plus one.' He
Crista
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

3 stars!
In Your Dreams by Kristan Higgins is the 4th book in her wildly popular Blue Heron series. I am new to this author’s work, and I must admit that I hadn’t read the previous books in this series before I picked this one up. This fact may have impacted my overall enjoyment of the book just a tad, as I had the distinct impression throughout this book that I was supposed to have knowledge of many characters who made appearances.

This is my second book by
Keri
There is no one that can write a funny date scene gone wrong like KH. I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at some points in this book.
Ririn

Finally, we've got to know what tragedy happened to Jack's marriage that makes him seemed sad whenever it was mentioned before. I have wanted to know it since the first book in the series.

As usual, KH's story will featured a pathetic heroin. Emmaline Neal, an officer of Manningsport Police Department (Levi's deputy, in fact). She was frantically searching for a date to her ex-fiance's wedding. The love of her life. Who dumped her for a perfect (and evil) personal trainer and then go on
Rachel
This will probably me last Kristan Higgins book. It's a shame, really, because I think she's brilliant. My first book by her Catch of the Day was so phenomenal that I've reread it too many times to count. Higgins is known for her snarky, witty dialogue that has me laughing out loud. It started to go downhill at the start of this Blue Heron series when she started writing in 3rd person.

This book, along with the others in the series, are her first books in 3rd person and significantly lack the qu
Keertana
I have mixed feelings concerning this latest from Higgins. On one hand, I definitely feel as if the quality of the novels in this series are declining--largely in part due to the excellence of the first novel, The Best Man, which just can't be beaten. On the other hand, though, I did really enjoy the latter half of this story. I feel as if the characters--Jack and Emmaline--don't share a classic love story trajectory which is refreshing. Emmaline, in particular, has always been thought to be a l ...more
Jessi
I absolutely devoured this book. Read it all in one sitting. While I was reading it, I was loving it. But thinking back, I have a few issues. I'll hide those behind spoilers in case other people don't share my opinions. I don't want to infect you if you didn't notice them.
First things first. What was with the prologue and epilogue. It would have been a good hook had it been done in the rest of the series, but it just seems odd coming up now. The good news is, you don't have to have read the rest
  • He's So Fine (Lucky Harbor, #11)
  • Taken with You (Kowalski Family, #8)
  • What I Love About You (Truly, Idaho, #3)
  • The Homecoming (Thunder Point, #6)
  • Her Kind of Trouble
  • Looking for Trouble (Jackson: Girl's Night Out, #1)
  • All I Want Is You (Coral Cove, #1)
  • Maybe This Christmas (O'Neil Brothers, #3)
  • Christmas at Twilight (Twilight, Texas, #5)
  • Until We Touch (Fool's Gold, #15)
  • Flirting with Disaster (Camelot, #3)
  • For the Longest Time (Harvest Cove, #1)
Hello! I’m flattered that you clicked the button. If you clicked by mistake, well, hello anyway.

I live in a small Connecticut town with a beautiful library, a great agricultural fair, nice people and not much else. I have two lovely, entertaining children and a brave firefighter for a husband, who is, perhaps more importantly, a fantastic cook. Digger from Fools Rush In is inspired my very own Dig
More about Kristan Higgins...
The Best Man (Blue Heron #1) Too Good to Be True Just One of the Guys All I Ever Wanted Until There Was You

“I have a small phobia about being alone with women," he said smoothly.
"So I always come with him," Patricia said. "Always."
"Ah." Dear God, where do You hide the normal people? Love, Emmaline
4 likes
“We’re trained to help damsels in distress.” “If you ever call me that again, I’ll kick you in the soft parts.” 2 likes