Start by marking “Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)

Broken Souls (Eric Carter #2)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,018 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
When necromancer Eric Carter returned to Los Angeles after fifteen years on the run he knew things were bad, but he never imagined how bad they could get. Sister murdered, best friend dead, married to the patron saint of death, Santa Muerte.

And things are just getting worse.

His link to the Aztec death goddess is changing his powers, changing him, and he’s not sure how far
Published August 5th 2014 by DAW

Kevin Hearne
May 07, 2014 Kevin Hearne rated it it was amazing
I warn thee that this review will contain words beginning with f that some people consider quite naughty and would prefer not to read. If ye be such a person, beware and read no more!

Okay, here we go:

This series is so fucking good. I wrote happy words about the first book, DEAD THINGS, and I'm completely jazzed that we're getting more Eric Carter.

Blackmoore can’t write these books fast enough to suit me. BROKEN SOULS is hyper-caffeinated, turbo-bloody face-stomping fun. Take a necromancer who ma
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I couldn't wait to finish this book. It took its sweet time to grab my attention.

I loved the first book, but Eric acted as if he lost his mind here. To be fair, I love the main premise for the series - a necromancer dealing with Aztec gods, ghosts, serial killers and stuff. In this book his antagonist can take other person's skin and wear it. Disgusting and creepy. Should have been awesome.

(view spoiler)
Anne
Sep 02, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines.

This is nowhere near what I would consider my normal genre, but I really liked it anyway.
Broken Souls has that Pulp Fiction feel to it that made me think of hard-boiled detectives and L.A. noirish stuff.
Or at least, this is what I assume those books are like.
*cough, cough*
I've, uh, never actually read a True Crime story. But this was what I imagine they would be like.
Take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

Eric Carter isn't the kind of guy who has a girlfriend,
Phil Hornshaw
Dec 17, 2015 Phil Hornshaw rated it it was amazing
Eric Carter is one of those protagonists who takes a serious beating basically constantly, and it makes his urban fantasy world feel a lot more real as he fires off spells and sics ghosts on people. He's a bit of a magical John McClane, and his emotional damage makes him as interesting as the physical scars he picks up.

Blackmoore does a great job of putting Carter into a mysterious world he only barely understands. This story and the one before it function as action-packed dives into the strang
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

Oh, man, have I missed Eric Carter. Shame on Stephen Blackmoore for not writing faster for my enjoyment! Just kidding, I’m willing to wait, because I know it’ll be worth it, and Broken Souls proves that. To catch you up a bit, Eric isn’t exactly the luckiest guy. His sister was murdered not too long ago. His best friend, Alex, is dead, and his ex-girlfriend Vivian (who was hooked up with Alex), blames him and won’t speak to him (he doesn’t blame her), and
Invested Ivana
Dec 18, 2015 Invested Ivana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2015
Dang. Eric Carter can’t catch a break, but it makes for a damn good story!

What we learn from Broken Souls is that Santa Muerta is one sneaky witch. She seems interested in what Eric Carter, necromancer, can do for her (though we don’t know yet what that may be), but at the same time, she pulls some seriously nasty mind games on him. And then there’s her ex-husband, who would rather be a stone statue hidden underground than be married to her. Wow.

Considering Eric’s world, the Bruja he encounters
Joanne Garbato
Jun 29, 2014 Joanne Garbato rated it it was amazing
I have just discovered urban fantasy and I love it...or maybe I just love the way Stephen Blackmoore does it.Necromancer Eric Carter returns to LA after a 15 year absence when his sister is murdered.He is married to Santa Muerte,the patron saint of death.There is a big,nasty Russian trying to kill him and wear his skin.Helping him are his dead friend,Alex(or is it?) and a bruja named Gabriella.How are they all connected?I love the humor,prose,characters,action and imagination and highly ...more
Elisa
Oct 08, 2015 Elisa rated it really liked it
I am loving this series especially because I have no idea where it is going and I am just along for the ride. The lead tries his best to be moral and to do what he thinks is right, but he upsets everyone along the way. He also seems to be a pawn in a longer game.
Gods, necromancy, wizards, Russian thugs, elementals and gang bangers make up this LA urban fantasy. It is violent and gross, ghosts can kill you and who knows what the gods want in all of this.
Looking forward to the next one!
M.L. Brennan
Sep 15, 2014 M.L. Brennan rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully atmospheric LA noir urban fantasy, really making use of the setting, and keeping consistent with the breakneck pace, hairpin turns, and high stakes of DEAD THINGS. Mixing dark and nasty violence with sarcastic humor, sign me up for #3.
Adam Criblez
Mar 27, 2016 Adam Criblez rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first book a little more, but am really looking forward to seeing where this series goes. Highly recommend.
David
Feb 15, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Intriguing second book about magic wielder Eric Carter has a wild ride through L,A.,dealing with wind gods, goddesses of the dead (Santa Mureta)in a very good urban fantasy noir book. Loved it!
Kris
Oct 26, 2016 Kris rated it liked it
A MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more satisfying ending than the first book in site of the cliffhanger. The action was well written and while the actual magic was much less than in the first book, it was still very much in the background like a hum. the dialog was realistic and the characters interesting. The book is quite violent, but not in the "everyone dies" trope, still many innocent people do lose their lives, however, the one I figured would die is still alive at the end.
Crystal
Dec 09, 2016 Crystal rated it really liked it
Andy Robson
Nov 30, 2016 Andy Robson rated it it was amazing
Just brilliant.Eric Carter is fast becoming one of my favourite characters. Fast and brutal.The only problem now is waiting until next year for part 3.
Marlene
Oct 13, 2014 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Originally published at The Book Pushers

Eric Carter, LA’s one and only practicing necromancer, finds himself in the middle of a marital spat between opposing death gods; and he’s not sure that either side wants anything that he can survive.

But then, we are talking about the King and Queen of the Dead. It used to be the Aztec dead, but that was long ago and far away and death is everywhere. The conquistadors may have warped and corrupted the Aztec beliefs, but death itself is universal, and someo
Sunil
Aug 28, 2014 Sunil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2014
In the first chapter of Broken Souls, someone tries to kill Eric Carter, necromancer, which, to be fair, is not a rare occurrence for him: people tried to kill him all throughout Dead Things , after all. But Dead Things was an introduction to a world and to a series: having established the setting and characters, Stephen Blackmoore hits the ground running with this book and never stops. It's the sort of book the phrase "high-octane, pulse-pounding thrill ride" would be used to be describe if yo ...more
T. K. Elliott
Apr 02, 2016 T. K. Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric Carter is still in trouble after the events of Dead Things. This is partly because when you're in that deep, the only way out is through - and partly because he's such an asshole that people just want to kill him on general principles.

However, I like him. What does that say about me?

Carter's an antihero who leaves death and destruction in his wake, and doesn't see anything wrong with making a bargain he has no idea how to fulfil, as long as it gets him out of trouble. Even so, he does seem
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Aug 06, 2014 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf
Another new UF series that is going on my auto buy list.

I did a joint review of this book with Meghan over at Stellar Four. For the full review and discussion go here: http://www.stellarfour.com/2014/08/jo....

Here's the overall summary (and intro of the post):

The latest Eric Carter book by Stephen Blackmoore is out and we could not wait to read it. BROKEN SOULS is a noir urban fantasy with a cohesive and logical magic system, scary-ass gods and monsters, plenty of action, phenomenal characters,
Jared Paddick
Sep 15, 2015 Jared Paddick rated it really liked it
The second in the Eric Carter series, Broken Souls picks right up where Dead Things left off.

The Good: I really enjoyed this book, possibly even more than the first entry. The pace was still thrilling and quick, the action brutal and gritty. But what really made this book so much more of and improvement was Carter's personality. Yes he had some personal growth, but he is still the same old jerk, and he reacts according to his nature.

The overall plot elements are getting deeper while still resolv
Mark
Nov 03, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, gritty
Blackmoore can squeeze more in about two hundred pages than a lot of authors can in twice that amount. This story is brutal and unforgiving. Eric Carter is back, married to a goddess of death, and caught up in the political madness of Mitclan and he's not happy.

The length is why this one gets three stars. Blackmoore's writing is good and the story interesting but I really think more time needed to be spent on Mitclan and its denizens. I also felt like the pacing was a bit off on the Mitclan-rel
Michael Loring
Aug 12, 2014 Michael Loring rated it it was amazing
Broken Souls by Stephen Blackmoore is the second in his Eric Carter series, picking up six months after the incidents in the first book with necromancer Eric Carter once again being dealt a bad hand in life.

Eric is now married to the patron goddess of death, Santa Muerte, and he’s willing to do anything to get out of it. The book starts off with a meeting that may or may not help him escape her clutches, but the meeting goes to hell quicker than you can blink. And on top of it his best friend’s
Nervous Nellie Justice
To say I enjoyed this graphic audio book would be an understatement. I finally tried this kind of audio book. This is really a performance more than a narration. I normally enjoy a good narrator with the voice changes and inflections, but this graphic audio really ramps up the experience. Instead of listening to one person, there are a bunch of narrators speaking individual Nervous_Nellie_100parts. It's an incredible experience and a very nice change of pace.

Okay, on to the book. I have been a S
Jaime Moyer
Nov 16, 2014 Jaime Moyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Stephen Blackmoore thought I'd hate him when I got to the end of this book. Instead, I admire his Machiavellian mind. I really really didn't see that end coming.

Broken Souls is the continuation of the first Eric Carter book, Dead Things. Eric is a necromancer and a mage, with the power to not only communicate with the dead and control them, but to slip into their world and back to ours.

His abilities stand out, not only to other mages with less power, but to the ancient Gods and powers themselve
Sherry
Apr 19, 2015 Sherry rated it it was amazing
I dove into this second book by Stephen Blackmoore like a dehydrated gal in the desert. And wow, am I sated!

First, I thought I was going to have trouble with Blackmoore's writing style. Nope, totally digging the way he presents his characters and his plot. It is Alex Verus, meets the Iron Druid meets Harry Dresden meets Mike Hammer. Seriously, our anti-hero is a tattooed necromancer who is uber power right now (thanks to Santa Muerte), and man can he work the spells!

This is real urban fantasy.
Travis
Aug 15, 2014 Travis rated it it was amazing
Mr. Eric Fuckin Carter returns!
DAMN. I knew this book was going to be really fucking good before I started reading. Mostly because of two reasons 1. Dead Things was fucking amazing and 2. I read the first chapter on stephenblackmoore.com. For anyone who keeps up with me on here you will know I am an incorrigible fanboy of Stephen Blackmoore. I often use his books as a measurement for others...is this fair? No probably not. To neither him or the others. But damnnit I just don't care.
Not only is
The Liz
Dec 04, 2015 The Liz rated it it was amazing
Stephen Blackmoore does it again, leaving me desperate for the next book! In another LA Noir adventure, Eric Carter thought things couldn't get worse, trapped in a supernatural marriage, after having defeated a ghost that wanted to eat his SOUL.

Now he has to worry about a new threat. A maniac who wants to kill him, steal his skin, and walk around in it. Meanwhile he's being haunted by his dead best friend, who refuses to follow the rules of ghosts.

In a fantastic blend of myth and reality, Blackm
Robert Brown
Nov 24, 2014 Robert Brown rated it liked it
Reactive. That's what the protag is. A bundle of muscle/nerve tissue that rarely thinks and reacts to outside stimuli as he wanders through LA. Seriously, if he wasn't able to communicate with the other characters, he wouldn't figure out what to do. If he didn't have some decent human beings around him, he'd be dead many times over. His reactions get him to loads of trouble that others brains get him out of. Whether it's trying to figure out what to do next, how to fight someone/something. As ...more
Erin Penn
Jan 04, 2015 Erin Penn rated it really liked it
#2 of the series, I have not read number 1 (Dead Things). And, YES!, you did not need the first book to enjoy the second book of the series. The first chapter is an awesome study in reveals - or quick review of the first book without actually feeling like a review of the first book. I would highly recommend authors writing series to review this first chapter on the pure artistry and engagement of the reveal/review. The last sentence of the first chapter alone kept me reading past midnight - and ...more
Semunky
Dec 05, 2014 Semunky rated it it was amazing
I liked the first book in the series, and one of the reasons I chose to start reading it in the first place was because the second book was also out-in fact this book was recommended to me on my kindle and brought the series to my attention!

The second book is just as dark and gritty as the first. I do think it was even better than the first, but thats probably due to the fact there wasn't as much need for background info. Sometimes explanations for the history prior to the book can take a little
Nadja
Aug 21, 2014 Nadja rated it it was ok
Long story short: It was way too predictable and I found the pace to be too rapid. Things happened too quick to Eric to be believable, I feel we never got to know the "real" Eric before he was cast into all these situations and with the 2nd book we apparently get to know his "shit hits the fan" persona, but not the one he was before. Also why I know the whole tragic hero thing, it would be nice if once in a while the character would have something go right instead of not just wrong but totally ...more
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Unclean Spirits (Gods & Monsters, #1)
  • The Living End (Daniel Faust, #3)
  • Downfall (Cal Leandros, #9)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Attack the Geek (Ree Reyes, #2.5)
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Shadowed Souls
  • The Getaway God (Sandman Slim, #6)
  • Roadside Magic (Gallow and Ragged, #2)
  • Cold Hearted (Yancy Lazarus #2)
  • Iron Night (Generation V, #2)
  • The Chapel Perilous (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4.6)
  • Wild Card (Etudes in C#, #1)
Stephen Blackmoore is a pulp writer of little to no renown who once thought lighting things on fire was one of the best things a kid could do with his time. Until he discovered that eyebrows don't grow back very quickly.

His first novel, a dark urban fantasy titled CITY OF THE LOST is out through DAW Books and is available at all the fashionable bookstores. Hopefully some of the seedier ones, too.
More about Stephen Blackmoore...

Eric Carter (3 books)
  • Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)

“A group of ghosts is a fraid. No, really. I don’t know what jackass came up with that one, but it’s a real thing. A fraid of ghosts. Clearly, they’ve never seen a group of ghosts. Otherwise it’d be a “Pants-Shitting Terror” of ghosts.” 5 likes