Start by marking “Project Superhero” as Want to Read:
Project Superhero

Project Superhero

Join 13-year-old Jessie as she keeps a diary of her class’s yearlong research project on superheroes, which culminates in the Superhero Slam: a head-to-head debate battle in front of the entire school. It’s shy, comics-obsessed Jessie’s dream come true . . . and worst nightmare. She decides to champion Batgirl, a regular person (albeit with major talent and training under ...more
Published September 9th 2014 by ECW Press (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Project Superhero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project Superhero

Talon by Julie KagawaThe Young Elites by Marie LuHeir of Fire by Sarah J. MaasThe Jewel by Amy EwingRooms by Lauren Oliver
Book Expo America 2014
217th out of 305 books — 155 voters
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferThe Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingDracula by Bram StokerFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Epistolary Fiction
421st out of 446 books — 547 voters

More lists with this book...

Andréa
Forewarning: Based on the cover, it's easy to mistake this book for a graphic novel, but it's not; it's a novel with some illustrations. There is a lot of discussion of comic books and graphic novels in the text, though, so comic book fans may still enjoy the book.

I like the premise of Project Superhero, and its combination format of diary, interview letters, and illustrations is interesting. The yearlong Superhero Slam project assigned to Jessie and her classmates in the book is a great idea an
Kate
Feb 02, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
About 15 pages from the end, I was ready to give this book 5 stars and recommend it to everyone I know with young girls. But then the main event in the book, the Superhero Slam, reached its conclusion in an abrupt and emotionally unsatisfying way. UGH. So disappointed.

However, that being said, if you have young girls (tweens) who are a little geeky or awkward, I would still absolutely recommend this book. It's the diary of Jesse, a 13 year old girl, who is embarking on a year-long school project
Steph Elias
Jul 24, 2014 Steph Elias rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is smart, funny, and has fantastic illustrations. It is like a really, really, cool glimpse into a diary. Very hard to put down once you start.
Ian Wood
Jul 22, 2014 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here. Graphic and children's novels reviewed on the blog will generally have some images from the book's interior, which are not reproduced here.

Note that I don't really do stars. To me a novel is either worth reading or it isn't. I can't rate a nove
Corrina
Jul 27, 2015 Corrina rated it it was amazing
Read my full review at wadingthroughbooks.wordpress.com!

This was one of the books I picked up at the Word on the Street festival last year, just because it looked like a really cool book. I was even happier when I found out that the publisher, ECW Press, has a program where if you provide proof of purchase of one of their print books, they will send you the ebook for free. And another nice thing is that Kris Pearn’s terrific illustrations are in colour in the ebook, though the double-page Superh
Bruce Arthurs
Jun 12, 2015 Bruce Arthurs rated it liked it
Project Superhero, E. Paul Zehr, illustrations by Kris Pearn (ECW Press, 2014)

Paul Zehr is best known for Becoming Batman, a non-fiction examination of how someone might train and educate themselves to try and match Batman's abilities.

Project Superhero covers a lot of the same ground, but slanted towards a middle-school audience, and with a fictional story to overlay the educational aspects of the book.

13-year old comics fan Jessie is thrilled when her school announces a year-long cross-class pr
Becky B
Got about halfway through and decided I just didn't need to read any further. I skimmed to the end and was right in my prediction of where it was headed. The story itself wasn't bad, it just felt rather roughly executed. It didn't flow for me.

The premise is year 8 class (book is set in Canada) doing a year long project on superheroes, which will incorporate multiple fields of study. Readers get to follow Clara who is a huge superhero fan and very into this project. She decides to be Batgirl for
Jessie H.
Dec 30, 2014 Jessie H. rated it really liked it
*I received an eARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

The premise of Project Superhero instantly made this book a must read for me. And when I finished, I wished that I could go back in time and give it to 13 year old me. Actually, I wish I could give it to every 13 year old girl who has ever questioned who she is if her interests don’t fit into society’s stereotype.

This story has several great messages and addresses, in a very interesting way, the misconception
Shilpa
Feb 01, 2015 Shilpa rated it it was amazing
Jessica is in Grade 8. And, it’s crazy. So, she’s started a diary to keep track of all the craziness. But she loves writing, and considers a career as an author or journalist someday…so she thinks writing a diary is definitely going to be fun. “It’s like thinking out loud, but in a quiet way.”

In school this year, their assignment is to explore what it means to be a superhero (It’s also partly the reason Jesse’s started this diary.) And, part of the project is that they get to pick which superhe
Alana
Aug 11, 2014 Alana rated it liked it
Shelves: jri, bea, 2014-reads
This is a book written on about a fifth grade level about an eighth grader who apparently reads comics meant for late teens and adults. Some of the superhero knowledge is wonky (Storm got her powers how?) or sanitized (Cassandra Cain's back story), and/or full of spoilers. The scientific information and non-fiction aspects of the book work when they're tied into Jessie's research, but otherwise feel like digression. This book is, no pun intended, about five issue books at once, like someone ...more
Daniel
Mar 31, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing
When I pick books up from the library, I usually sort them into three piles, based on how much I want to read them. This is one of the few books from the third (least want to read) pile that I gave 5 stars. I seriously loved this book. It is amazing, from interviews with actual heroes, to the facts it blends in, to the story that is amazing. The book is themed on superhero comics, but have not read any comics and I still grasped the story good. Jessie is a quiet introvert that loves reading ...more
Jennie Machines
Jun 05, 2015 Jennie Machines rated it it was ok
This book is about a girl who loves Superheroes and gets lucky enough that her school project for the year is to research a Hero and argue their hero in different traits to be the winner.

The concept for this book is awesome and it was full of wonderful facts, many about real life superheroes and how normal people can make themselves better. But when it came down to it, it could have been executed much better. There was a side story with her best friends dating and we jumped into the serious top
Julianna
Mar 12, 2015 Julianna rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would, that's for sure. I liked this book because I learned a thing or two and Jessie really grew throughout the book. What started out as a comic book geek's chance to show people she's not a sidekick became Jessie becoming a hero. In a way, Jessie sort of went from "zero to her own hero" because she never gave up, stuck with her goal, and became better than before. I really liked this book and I would totally recommend it.
Jul 29, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, comics
This was a cute story for younger kids, but it had some flaws. I felt like the author tried to cram too much into the book - Jessie researched so many different topics that at times it felt more like lectures than a story (especially the nutrition section). I also felt like some storylines were rushed / didn't have great conclusion - especially Dylan's. I did (obviously) love Kelly Sue DeConnick's contribution to the book though!

Received from NetGalley.
Samantha
Feb 27, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it
I quite liked this one. Jessie's class is working on a year-long project about superheros, which combines her social studies and science classes. There is lots of information about different superheros, discussion about real-world connections, and amazing drawings. The ending was a bit of a letdown, but overall I enjoyed watching Jessie come out of her shell and find her own place.
Mary
Feb 13, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
This story attracted me because instead of being about a boy, it is about a girl. Normally when I see a title like this I automatically assume superhero - boys however once I read the synopsis I was hooked. And the school project she undertook was awesome. There is a lot of positive in this book for both girls and women in general.
Heather
Jan 12, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
This author did research and it paid off. Great book for boys and girls, especially girls to show dedication, strength, and acceptance. Fake Interviews were based in truth since the author contacted all the people the main character contacted in the book. Only complaint was that the ending was a little abrupt.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Perfect for 2015 Summer Reading -- Every Hero Has a Story. Follow an eighth-grade girl as she works on a yearlong superhero project. Includes diary entries, letters to (and from) real heroes, plus tons of trivia about superheroes.
Vik Arch
Jul 13, 2014 Vik Arch rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is just something. I love the pictures and the novel. The language is like a real kid would use it.

Jessie loved superheroes. When her teacher gave a new project to work on, she dived into it. “Superheroes” was her topic.
Dave Banks
Dave Banks rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Tessa
Tessa rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
Ali Mcdonald
Ali Mcdonald rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Laura Phelps
Laura Phelps rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Alicia Helmick
Alicia Helmick rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Feathertail
Feathertail rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Dhruv
Dhruv rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
  • The Short Seller
  • My Handy Little Health Journal: Includes tips on fitness, healthy eating, meditation, and worry-free travel
  • On The Books: A Graphic Tale of Working Woes at NYC's Strand Bookstore
  • Ages of Heroes, Eras of Men: Superheroes and the American Experience
  • My Brother Is A Superhero (My Brother is a Superhero, #1)
  • Waiting for the Man
  • Infidelity
  • The Rookie Bookie
  • Playing With Matches
  • OCDaniel
  • The Best of the Rejection Collection: 293 Cartoons That Were Too Dumb, Too Dark, or Too Naughty for The New Yorker
  • Over the Wall
  • Night on Fire
  • Cold Girl (BC Blues Crime, #1)
I'm passionate about science communication and believe in empowering through knowledge. Check out my neuroscience blog Black Belt Brain at Psychology Today Magazine and my guest blogs on the science of superheroes over at Scientific American Magazine.
More about E. Paul Zehr...