Start by marking “Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do

Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do

Want to know how to start a riot? Yep...make moonshine? Sure...beat a lie detector test? You got it!True, if everyone knew how to do such things, the world may not be a better place. But for our readers, this is just the sort of Forbidden Knowledge that can transform their lives.Who couldn't use a little more danger in their life? A little more edge? A little more fun? Wit ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Adams Media

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden Knowledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden Knowledge

Scott
Apr 19, 2009 Scott rated it liked it
Hm. What I learned from this book?
1) How to tell if your neighbor is a zombie (and what to do about it).
2) How to read entrails to predict the future.
3) How to hotwire a car.
4) How to walk on hot coals
75) How to write a cheeziass book. JK - many of these articles are fairly amusing takes on things. Unfortunately short in the detail department on some items, such as "How to Make an Atomic Bomb." So, one will just have to experiment, one guesses.

Still have 25 things left to learn at the time
Dec 28, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Thanks to this book I know now how to stage a coup, make moonshine and cheat a parking meter. Sweet!
Mitch
Jul 15, 2012 Mitch rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Of course, you don't really evaluate a book like this. You just read it for enjoyment.

Ever have a hankering to kill your computer, cheat a parking meter or place a gypsy curse? That's my point exactly: you won't want to do all of these but you'll surely have wished you knew how to do some of them at one point or another.

This book adds some genuine funny to its descriptions of how to do all of these and 98 more. It doesn't really recommend you do them exactly- it's tongue in cheek. (It'll probabl
Jen
Jan 26, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Who needs medical school? I now know how to perform open heart surgery. I think the first 2 or 3 times I may want the book beside me just to calm my nerves and to make sure I don't miss a step. But by the time I do it for the 4th time, I'll be golden.
Brian Sammons
May 31, 2012 Brian Sammons rated it liked it
Nowhere near as good as the title would lead you to believe, with some of the knowledge not really being all that forbidden, let alone practical. Still, it's a mostly fun and enjoyable read.
Kellie Eizensmits
Jan 22, 2009 Kellie Eizensmits rated it it was ok
was kind of funny...pretty far fetched, but i guess that was part of the humor...
The Black Cat Researcher
I bought this on a whim because it had 4 and 5 star reviews on amazon and I was gullible enough to believe there was going to be real 'fobidden' tips but it is all stupid stuff that common sense will tell you. I knew I wasted my money when I read on the back that it was categorized as 'humor'. It wasn't even funny. Nice way to burn 90 minutes but I'm still getting my money back on this one!
Grace
Feb 11, 2011 Grace rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-fun, humour
This is an interesting little book that sits well on the shelf next to The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead. There are 101 tidbits of useful and useless knowledge written in a semi-sarcastic and only vaguely detailed manner.

My favourite were #18 - saw a woman in half (magic trick), #26 - create crop circles, #29 - pull a practical joke in the toilet, and #70 - streak a sporting event.

This book would probably make a fun gift for a person that enjoys bits of random
Monie
Sep 30, 2008 Monie rated it liked it
In this book you will find 101 things NOT everyone should know how to do including my favorites:

How to. . .
…hack an elevator
…complain and get results
…start an urban legend

Who couldn't use a little more danger in their life? A little more edge? A little more fun? With Forbidden Knowledge, you will get it all.

This was a fun one-day read. Most of the information is just for entertainment but I did get a kick out of trying to convince my co-workers to let me perform open-heart surgery on them. The
Miles Eaton
Jan 08, 2010 Miles Eaton rated it really liked it
very good read. loved most-all the things that it talks about. i could only find 2-3 things that werent exactly correct (i.e.- it was talking about if you put sugar in a persons gas tank that it will clog the fuel filter and starve the engine of air....no it will accept more air but little-no fuel, causing the engine to run lean vs. rich if it had less air and same amount of fuel). besides small things like that i was very much so entertained and almost cut out some of the art in the book but i ...more
Iskreads
Most people live a rather simple life, which means that the cops aren't chasing you for your illegal stash of drugs,
or loan sharks knocking on your door. with this book, you live your life dangerously and to the maximum, you wanna know
how to kill zombies?, well then flip to the first page. wanna know how to make an atomic bomb?, flip to the 12th page.
this book will make you like living dangerously.

Dimitri E
Ninja Pigeon
Jun 03, 2012 Ninja Pigeon rated it it was ok

Most of these "obscure facts" I already knew. Not sure if that is simply because of my own inner geek, or exceptional exposure, but none of it was anywhere close to "build your own atomic bomb" stuff. At best it was "how to upset your neighbors by building your own eyesore in your backyard."
If that's your thing, this is worth it. If not, you're better off researching instructables or Wikipedia.
James
Funny, if a bit padded-feeling - and I can attest from my own experience that some of the details are wrong, which is just as well. This is in the same vein as the "Worst Case Scenario" books, taking a pseudo-matter-of-fact tone in talking about situations that are mostly impossible, ridiculous, or highly unlikely. Not one that will go down as a classic, but good for killing some time.
faeriemyst
Jan 21, 2012 faeriemyst rated it liked it
Shelves: trivia, library-loan
Not as interesting or promising as it sounds, yet there's still some good information to be found even if there isn't enough detail for at least half the how-to's (probably a very good idea) and there are a few minor editing errors (e.g. their instead of they're, numbered lists missing a digit).
Miriam B. Sayer
Aug 04, 2009 Miriam B. Sayer rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
A person described this book as "If you ever find yourself in a plastic bag and need to know how to get out!!!" Abby Hoffmans "Steal this Book" offers more sound (but outdated)advice, but Forbidden Knowledge is still fun to read.
Eric
Dec 14, 2007 Eric rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Trivia Buffs
Shelves: trivia-etc
This book had some fun facts in it such as how to manipulate an elevator to skip floors and how to hack into a soda machine but for the most part the how-tos and trivia are pointless and/or left to vague to be of any use.
Peapod
Oct 11, 2014 Peapod rated it liked it
This wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. It seemed to have a slight misogynist slant to it.
Esma Tezgi
Apr 07, 2015 Esma Tezgi rated it it was ok
Çok basitti, başlarken böyle bir şey beklememiştim, bir kaç güzel bilgi dışında geri kalanı sayfa israfı.
Meghan Messner
Meghan Messner rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2008
Jinxitup
Jinxitup rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2013
Nick
Nick rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2012
LayLay
LayLay rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Rosamaria Hernandez
Rosamaria Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2011
Akilah
Akilah rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Sinem
Sinem rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Chermaine
Chermaine rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2015
Hokulani
Hokulani rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2007
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2010
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Man Skills
  • Book of Secrets
  • The Book of Lists: Horror
  • The Action Hero's Handbook: How to Catch a Great White Shark, Perform the Vulcan Nerve Pinch, Track a Fugitive, and Dozens of Other TV and Movie Skills
  • Apocalypse How: Making the End Times the Best of Times
  • Serial Killers: Being and Killing
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College: College
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • The Villain's Guide to Better Living
  • Ask a Ninja Presents The Ninja Handbook: This Book Looks Forward to Killing You Soon
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • Becoming Batman: The Possibility of a Superhero
  • Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction
  • The Boys Book
  • How to Rule the World: A Handbook for the Aspiring Dictator
  • Synthetic Worlds: The Business and Culture of Online Games
More about Michael Powell...