Start by marking “Committing Journalism: The Prison Writings of Red Hog” as Want to Read:
Committing Journalism: The Prison Writings of Red Hog

Committing Journalism: The Prison Writings of Red Hog

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Committing Journalism collects more than fifty essays by famed convict-writer Dannie Martin, a.k.a. “Red Hog” —hard-hitting, eloquent reports on the racism, brutality, inadequate health care, harassment, and other conditions of life behind the prison walls. When they first appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle they made Martin a celebrity—and eventually the Bureau of Pri ...more
Published July 17th 1995 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Committing Journalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Committing Journalism

Lindsay Duggan
3.5 stars. I rounded up to 4 stars because I enjoyed the essays by Dannie Martin very much. The parts about the trial not as much. Prior to reading this book I would say I did not care at all about people in jail or how they were treated. If anything I thought they were treated too well. After reading this, I definitely have some empathy for prisoners. There is the question about whether prison should be for punishment or rehabilitation, and I believe it should be a bit of both. However, the cur ...more
Igor Francesko
Started reading it just after finishing OITNB (TV series) so the mood was set. I liked it, gave me a fair amount of understanding and insight in USA penal system and incarceration at the time of Red Hogs sentence. Doesn't seem to have changed much, even using a comedy/drama as OITNG for comparison.
I would recommend this book for anyone in the journalist/law world for it would be in their field of interest.
Adrianna
I found this book in one of the dollar bins outside of The Strand and read the entire thing in a couple of sittings. It was one of those books I tried to read slower because I loved it so much. The book reminded me why I loved to read outside of school.
Linda Marie Anderson
I thought this book would be depressing, but Dannie Martin is funny and charming, while at the same time spotlighting aspects of prison life that are truly horrifying. Interesting and illuminating.
Peter Y. Sussman
A great book ... and I'm speaking as an authority on the subject: I'm the co-author.
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Jeanine
Jeanine marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Briana Novak
Briana Novak marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Nancy
Nancy added it
Mar 27, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Scruffy Spokes
Scruffy Spokes marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kassie
Kassie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Thomas
Thomas added it
Mar 01, 2014
Patrie Davis
Patrie Davis marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Lauren Garbrough
Lauren Garbrough marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Barry King
Barry King marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014