Start by marking “Fighting Chance (Gregor Demarkian, #29)” as Want to Read:
Fighting Chance (Gregor Demarkian, #29)

Fighting Chance (Gregor Demarkian #29)

Gregor Demarkian grew up in the Armenian-American enclave in Philadelphia known as Cavanaugh Street. Even though he left to go to college, and then went on to a storied career in the famous Behavioral Science Unit of the FBI, he eventually returned to Cavanaugh Street after an early retirement. There he finds himself in a rapidly gentrifying urban neighborhood that still r ...more
Published September 9th 2014 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Fighting Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighting Chance

Oct 07, 2014 Larraine rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I read a Jane Haddam novel. I've read a few with mixed results. These are not books that you read quickly. She is a writer with a wry wit who makes you think. One review refers to her as an American PD James. There's some merit there. This series revolves around Gregor Demarkian, a retired (now) FBI agent who does some private sleuthing. The action takes place in an American-Armenian area of Philadelphia, mostly Cavanaugh St. Sadly there is no such place, but I wish there ...more
Oct 17, 2015 scherzo♫ rated it it was ok
Shelves: mys-tepids
First draft? Padded with writing warm-ups.

A woman who doesn't know blood smells coppery??? "Tcha!"
Dec 03, 2014 Terri rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Didn't care for this one. Too windy, too rambly, just didn't hold my interest.
Feb 27, 2015 Lynn rated it it was ok
I love mysteries but this one was kind of slow and uninteresting in a lot of places.
Sep 25, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it
I like Jane Haddam's Gregor Demarkian novels. Fast paced and always a why didn't I notice that ending.
This time Fr. Tibor Kasparian is caught on video committing a murder, or is he? Gregor can't actually investigate the crime as it would definitely be a conflict as he and Fr. Kasparian are such good friends. For some reason Fr. Kasparian isn't helping himself by saying he has the right to remain silent, and not talking to his friends from the neighborhood.
As usual in a Demarkian story there is m
Haddam's gentle cozies featuring retired FBI agent Gregor Demarkian offer intriguing puzzles, warm humor, and a glimpse into Philadelphia's Armenian American community. There are two cases here for Demarkian to solve and both hit close to home: in the first his neighbor is losing his house illegally to a bank and in the second his best friend Father Tibor Kasparian is accused of killing a judge. Demarkian calls on friends in high places to help solve both mysteries, but he still ends up with his ...more
Jan 08, 2015 Midori rated it it was ok
I may be done with this series. I gave it a 'fighting chance,' but this installment tried my patience. not much happened until almost the end, and it was about as subtle as the gavel used as a murder weapon
Lavonne Pinkston
Sep 28, 2016 Lavonne Pinkston rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, audio-book
too many characters. couldn't stay straight with it.
Jan 07, 2015 Kay rated it liked it
An engaging series, set in the Armenian-American community of Philadelphia. The author's style is effective, but sometimes the terse, ominous sentence at the end of a chapter strikes me as overly dramatic. One plot line, involves a family that is about to be evicted from its home, even though they have paid their monthly mortgage regularly; however, unknown to them, the mortgage was sold to another bank and the legal remedy is apparently elusive. A second plot involves the privatization of the P ...more
Dale White
Dec 20, 2015 Dale White rated it really liked it
I had never heard of Jane Haddam or Gregor Demarkian before seeing the 29th book in the series on the "new books" shelf at the library. I felt like reading a mystery so I took it out.

I am not the kind of reader that puzzles over mysteries, trying to solve the case along with the protagonist. In fact, if I figure it out, I am more disappointed in the story than I am proud of my reading/deduction skills. At the same time though, I will judge how well the author has wrapped up the story and how log
Kelly Wagner
Mar 06, 2016 Kelly Wagner rated it really liked it
I didn't buy the initial premise of the plot - but I did like the extremely surprise twist of the resolution. Our recurring characters are mostly in character, except for Father Tibor - I really don't buy that he would behave like that - and one of the nice things is that the plot takes place pretty much entirely at home; doesn't have Gregor taking a private limo off to someplace rich and exclusive.

Serves as a good reminder that the real estate bubble and crash opened the way to more than one k
The latest installment from Jane Haddam in the detective series featuring Gregor Demarkian. I do enjoy these books because of this main character who is such a decent and smart person. As usual, the events of the story are told through the eyes of various characters, and the mystery unfolds gradually. I usually have to go back to the beginning and re-read some of the prologue so that the significance of those early events become clear in the larger context of the story!
I enjoyed this one more t
Oct 12, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
His friends on Cavanaugh Street are sure that Father Tibor could not have committed a murder. But the evidence--including a film that's posted on YouTube showing him with the murder weapon in his hand--seem damning to the police. And Tibor will not speak to any of his friends, or even a court appointed lawyer. Gregor Demarkian wants to clear Tibor, who won't even see him. Although Tibor has his reasons, waiting in jail for the investigation to proceed almost saps his determination. In addition t ...more
Ilyssa Wesche
Jan 27, 2015 Ilyssa Wesche rated it liked it
Not a whole lot happened during the course of this novel, but I didn't mind all that much. I like when one of the suspects has some hidden secret but none appeared here. Janet had some potential.

I have to admit I got a little annoyed with the residents of Cavanaugh Street. I mean, the entire city of Philadelphia is not watching their every move, no matter what they think.

But HOLY COW! I could not believe the reveal! I was so pleasantly surprised that it made the whole book worth the read. As I g
Sep 26, 2014 Val rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Armenian-American community In Philadelphia is all in an uproar when their local priest, Father Tibor is accused of murdering a local judge. There's even a video showing him bludgeoning her to death with her own gavel. To make matters worse, he won't even talk to anyone, not even Gregor Demarkian. This intricately woven mystery paints a scary picture of corruption in our courts and prisons and is worth a read.
Dec 09, 2014 Nadine rated it really liked it
This is a lengthy series that has solidified over the years into an entertaining puzzle solver formula.
Gregor Demarkian is a retired FBI profiler, and spends much of his life solving mysteries involving his neighbors on Cavanagh Street.

This particular case involves the murder of an unlikeable judge whose behavior could have inspired multiple people.
Paula Francese
Jun 25, 2016 Paula Francese rated it it was ok
This was my first Jane Haddam book. I was taken in by the jacket reviews. Honestly, it was difficult to finish. There were many characters and they were not fully drawn. Perhaps I was not paying close enough attention, but the last sentence of the book made no sense to me. I won't be tring another Haddam book. Thumbs down on this author.
Dec 26, 2014 Vontel rated it really liked it
I always enjoy these Gregor Demarkian mysteries. This one is interesting take on him as now retired from the FBI and being seen as the "American-Armenian Hercule Poirot". Not until I was closer to the end did I realize the author was also using some of that Hercule Poirot style, more that I remember from previous books.
Katherine Clark
Feb 15, 2015 Katherine Clark rated it liked it
I love Jane Haddam. These last several books in the series though.... This one was actually in many ways better then previous ones, by a long shot, but way the identity of the murderer really came out of left field. I've mostly thought Haddam didn't do a good job with who the murderers ended up being, but this time. Hmph and harumph. Oh well. I'll keep reading the series.
May 23, 2015 Ricki rated it it was amazing
Gregor Demarkian is back! I have read all the books in this Jane Haddam series..the first ones were great, then started to lose their way.but all the characters are back in true form...and Father Tibor is made out to be the "bad guy"...but is he really? And most of the Cavanaugh street gang have returned with some surprises...Loved this book! If you are a fan of this series it is a must read!
Apr 18, 2015 Joy rated it liked it
Father Tibor, beloved priest of the Armenian American community, is arrested for killing a judge who takes great pleasure in sending children to prison. The evidence against Father Tibor is damning, and Gregor Demarkian absolutely refuses to believe it. He prefers the truth, no matter how shocking. No matter how much I love this series, I am too fond of Father Tibor to enjoy the situation.
Oct 01, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Another excellent book in the Gregor Demarkian series by Haddam. All the usual Cavanaugh St characters are back and Father Tibor is arrested for what appears to be an open and shut case of murder. I can't say more for fear of leaking a clue to the ending.
A gerat read
Sep 20, 2014 William rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jane-haddam
I really like the Demarkian novels and this was another winner.Jane Haddam mixes the usual mix of the same characters from Cavanaugh St and adds some twists that has you thinking and turning pages to a very good finish that are traits of this series.Another great read..
Nov 26, 2014 Gaby rated it really liked it

i've read most of this author's novels, and enjoyed the ambiance of the ethnic armenian neighborhood in which the 'detective' resides. in this one, the author is more activist than usual in the message within her story
Dec 31, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Call it a 3.5+. I haven't read a Gregor Demarkian in years so it was good to go back to Cavanaugh Street and check in with all the old neighbors. In this outing, Father Tibor has been arrested for murder. And a video of the bloody crime has been posted on YouTube, so it has to true. Or does it?
Oct 26, 2014 Kirsten rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
It's always interesting to pick up a mystery series at the end rather than the beginning. I enjoyed the Armenian American connection, and wouldn't mind getting to know the sleuthing couple better. I didn't spot the murderer, which is always good.
Apr 13, 2015 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Oh my goodness! I didn't see that coming!

It's one of her shorter books, and well written, with all that I like about her style. And I really didn't see the ending coming.
Pastor Ericsson
May 05, 2015 Pastor Ericsson rated it liked it
Would read again just because I live in Philadelphia. I wasn't totally wild by the books, but I feel like the character could grow on me. I'm willing to try more in the series.
Dec 22, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyed this more than the others I've read in this lengthy series = more intensity. This time I cared!
Allison Henle
May 14, 2015 Allison Henle rated it liked it
I cannot review this without major spoilers, so I will just say that while the mystery is well-told and well-constructed, I am very disappointed in the decisions made by the author.
  • Deadly Virtues (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #1)
  • You Cannoli Die Once (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #1)
  • Dressed To Die (Lindsay Chamberlain, #3)
  • Quieter than Sleep (A Karen Pelletier Mystery, #1)
  • Mrs Pargeter's Principle (Mrs Pargeter, #7)
  • A Piece of Justice (Imogen Quy, #2)
  • Looking for Yesterday
  • The Skeleton Box (Starvation Lake, #3)
  • A Poisonous Plot (Matthew Bartholomew, #21)
  • The Four Adventures of Richard Hannay
  • Limassol
  • Ornaments of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #10)
  • Carlucci's Edge
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Emus (Meg Langslow, #17)
  • Bad Blood (DI Marjory Fleming #8)
  • Taming The Alien (Inspector Brant, #2)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • A Small Death in the Great Glen
Aka Orania Papazoglou

Jane Haddam (b. 1951) is an American author of mysteries. Born Orania Papazoglou, she worked as a college professor and magazine editor before publishing her Edgar Award–nominated first novel, Sweet, Savage Death, in 1984. This mystery introduced Patience McKenna, a sleuthing scribe who would go on to appear in four more books, including Wicked, Loving Murder (1985) and Rich,
More about Jane Haddam...

Gregor Demarkian (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • Act of Darkness (Gregor Demarkian, #3)
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • A Great Day for the Deadly (Gregor Demarkian, #5)
  • Feast of Murder (Gregor Demarkian, #6)
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • Murder Superior (Gregor Demarkian, #8)
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)

“it always made him feel better, and calmer, and more sane, to hold a book. He had never been able to understand people who did not read. He had never been able to understand how they held on to themselves.” 1 likes