The Mad Reader 1

The Mad Reader 1

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  5 reviews
First of the anniversary reprints, with material from the 1954 paperback of the magazine's first two years, in which Alfred E. Neuman made his Mad debut.
182 pages
Published 1963 by Ballantine Books (NY) (first published November 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Mad Reader 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mad Reader 1

Rich Meyer
I don't know about you, but Mad paperbacks were one of the many influences I had when I was learning to read as a wee lad. We used to be able to get them at the local K-Mart back in the day (y'know, back when K-Mart was trying to be Woolworth's), and I bought many of them, all long since disappeared in the mists of time. So when I find them astray at flea markets or on eBay, I snatch 'em up.

The Mad Reader was the first paperback edition that Max Gaines and the Usual Gang of Idiots put out, feat...more
Jeff
I include the Mad stuff on my list because for me it was part of my evolution in reading. Children's books - Comics - Mad Magazine - reading stuff without pictures. The 50's/Havey Kurtzman stuff is the best.
Erik Graff
Jan 09, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boys
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: art
I loved Mad magazine as a grade schooler, apparently "reading" every one of their reprint collections. Back then the family lived in unincorporated Kane County, Illinois in one of the many developments springing up around the country to accomodate the veterans of America's wars and we baby boomers, their offspring.

The Meadowdale development had no sidewalks, no lawns, no shopping areas, no school when we moved there. I was five and didn't mind not having to go to kindergarten. Kids of my age abo...more
Bren
Before it became a humour magazine, MAD was primarily a humour comic book spoofing the popular genres of the day. It was decidedly less "satirical" and overtly big on the parody element.

This book, edited by the late Harvey "Kurtz" Kurtzman, includes some of the classic bits from the magazine's bygone days. Dead-on parodies of the 1950s popular pulp fiction include "Superduperman," "Starchie," and "Lone STranger," as well as some original articles looking at contemporary newspapers and advertisin...more
Trey
I'm pretty sad this didn't resonate with me more. I can tell the detailed artwork filled with sight gags is a spot-on parody of whatever's being spoofed, but unfortunately, I just don't know the source material well enough to take full advantage. It's almost like this should be taught in a history of comics class instead of sold as a humor book.
Marco Della
Marco Della marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Tehreem Mohsin
Tehreem Mohsin marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Adrian
Adrian added it
Aug 14, 2013
Andre
Andre marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Jake
Jake added it
May 28, 2013
Runtarou Yuuki
Runtarou Yuuki marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Allie
Allie added it
May 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Complete Tales from the Crypt (The Complete EC Library) Mad Strikes Back (Mad Reader 2) Inside Mad (Mad Reader 3) Like, Mad (Mad Reader 9) The Ides of Mad (Mad Reader 10)