Start by marking “Homenaje a Tolkien. 19 Relatos fantásticos. Volumen 1” as Want to Read:
Homenaje a Tolkien. 19 Relatos fantásticos. Volumen 1

Homenaje a Tolkien. 19 Relatos fantásticos. Volumen 1

Con motivo del centenario del nacimiento de J. R. R. Tolkien, se pidió a lagunos de los autores más representativos de la literatura fantástica actual que escribieran un homenaje al creador de El Señor de los Anillos .

El resultado es este libro, donde el aficionado a la fantasía épica se encontrará con páginas inolvidables de Robert Silverberg, Terry Prattchet, Andre Norto
Hardcover, Grandes autores de la Literatura Fantástica, 230 pages
Published 1995 by Timun Mas (first published November 15th 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about Homenaje a Tolkien. 19 Relatos fantásticos. Volumen 1

Rich
Dec 26, 2013 Rich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shhhh... Listen... Hear it?
That's the sound of J. R. R. Tolkien spinning in his grave over the fact that this anthology is said to be in his honor.

Please.

None of the stories in this volume are Tolkienesque in the slightest. While one does mention Hobbits and another mentions Halflings and there are Goblins and Elves and a Troll, that's where the similarity ends.

Granted, I've only read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion, but I don't recall Leprechauns and Sugar Plum Fairies. And
Krazykiwi

Not a winner.I've been reading this on and off, a story here or there, for the last 6 months. Despite the stellar list of authors, many of whom are long-time favourites of mine, it just didn't work for me. None of these stories were particularly fabulous examples of any of the authors work, and the attempts to imitate Tolkien's style fell flat. Tolkien, for good or worse, remains for me eminently friendly and readable, and often deeply humorous, whereas a lot of these stories just plodded.

All

Grete
Dec 26, 2013 Grete rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think Tolkien would have a very high opinion of this collection.
Brittany
Jan 08, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm rereading this book, and it's fascinating to me that the stories I loved the most when I first read this book now seem like some of the most unnuanced and formulaic, while the ones I used to think were "boring" are now among my favorites.

The ones I used to think were creepy, though, apparently can still give me nightmares.
Jamie
Jul 07, 2016 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On to After the King , a compilation of fantasy (and kinda sci-fi, and some vaguely supernatural) short stories dedicated to the father of high fantasy, J. R. R. Tolkien. And it’s edited by my favorite editor, Martin H. Greenburg, who I swear has his fingers in everything. I always enjoy his compilations, so you’ll be hearing that name from me again.

Reave the Just is not a name invoked lightly. Legends tell of his prowess in dispensing of the wicked of the world. His is a name with power behind
Eva Ebert
I was going to write a really long a detailed review, where I gave each shortstory an individual rating and some comments. But I really, really, really need to return this book, so that's not going to happen.

My overall thoughts about the collection is that I had a hard time seeing the red thread in the stories. Apparently the theme was "stories that Tolkien might have enjoyed". But they seemed to be all over the place. Sure, he might have had a really broad taste, but there's nothing to distingu
Ngriffiths
Aug 11, 2015 Ngriffiths rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joshua Hart
After the King is a collection of nineteen short-stories written by nineteen different authors, in honour of J.R.R. Tolkien.

Halfway through reading After the King I decided that I wanted to review all of the stories individually. However, because I had already read half of them, it would be very difficult for me to review all of the ones I had already read, having either forgotten what happened or forgotten how I felt about them.
Truth be told, this review is going to hard enough doing the book a
Marie
Oct 04, 2016 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I didn't so much finish this book as I gave up on it. There were just too many stories I either didn't like or couldn't force myself to finish. That's a common problem with short story collections, and one I fully expected to have considering I had only heard of one of the authors before. While the first few stories were entertaining enough, finishing - heck, even starting - a story soon became more of a chore than reading should be. I started this collection with the hope that ...more
Ea Solinas
Apr 28, 2015 Ea Solinas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.R.R. Tolkien is the man who made the fantasy genre what it is today, so if you're gonna make an anthology honoring him, it better be GOOD. And for the most part, "After the King" succeeds wildly at that -- it has stories from some of the greats of fantasy/SF literature, with only a couple duds here and there.

Among the best are stories by Patricia McKillip, Charles de Lint, Peter S. Beagle, Andre Norton, Jane Yolen, Emma Bull and Terry Pratchett -- they spin out stories that are poetic and spel
James Hecker
I expected more than this book delivered. Not only was I excited about reading a "festschrift" honoring the 100th birthday of my favorite author J.R.R. Tolkien, but I was also filled with anticipation with the impressive list of renowned authors in this anthology of short fantasy stories.

I have read several anthologies edited by Martin Greenberg and I have always been thrilled with them.

This book though left me feeling as though it just did not quite live up to the promise of this list of autho
Denise "Mika" Hutchins
I briefly debated with myself over whether I should give this book three stars or four (it definitely didn't earn a solid five). I decided on the higher rating because, looking back at my own comments--which I tried to make at least once after finishing each story--I enjoyed these tales more often than not. I also decided to continue my characteristic trend of being generous with star ratings unless the book in question left me feeing like I wasted my time reading it. This book, even though I ...more
Meran
Nov 08, 2012 Meran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy or fairy tales
I believe the 3.84 stars are far understated!

Having finished reading this anthology, I gave it 4 stars. This was a wonderful collection of stories, some better than others, as is normal for an anthology. See below for the stories, authors and my rating of each.

Reave the Just by Stephen Donaldson -5 stars

Troll Bridge by Terry Pratchett - 4 stars

A Long Night's Vigil at the Temple - Robert Silverberg - 4 stars

The Dragon of Tollin by Elizabth Ann Scarborough - 4 stars

Faith by Poul & Karen Anders
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/156276.html[return][return]I was very pleasantly surprised. Nineteen short stories by various fantasy authors, all more or less in the Tolkien vein; two or three clunkers (Dennis McKiernan, Mike Resnick), but the average being very good and several excellent - Stephen Donaldson, Gregory Benford, and a particularly impressive foray by John Brunner, who eschewed the fantasy setting chosen by most of the others and wrote a piece set in England in 1921. I had read the Terr ...more
Tyrean
Mar 14, 2013 Tyrean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story collection with several stories I loved, some I liked, and a few I abhorred. It's hard to actually give a collection like this a star rating. Some stories, like "Fellowship of the Dragon," "The Conjure Man," "Silver or Gold," and "Death and the Lady," were fun, enjoyable and inspiring! Then, there were others that I won't name that I struggled to finish, plus a few that I felt were tasteless.

Best quote from the book,

"The stories are just stories - they entertain, they make one lau
Claudia Piña
Mar 09, 2015 Claudia Piña rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans, fantasy fans
Confieso que temía que estas fueran historias sobre elfos guerreros o reyes con espadas o joyas poderosas y disputadas a muerte.

Sin embargo, la mayoría son muy buenas y originales aunque llenas de elementos de fantasía. Todas tienen alguna referencia a Tolkien, pero no son tan obvias como lo que mencioné al principio. Las que lo son, lo son en broma.

Troll bridge, de Terry Pratchet, es una de las historias cortas mas graciosas que he leído. Charles de Lint (bless him) me sorprendió con algo que s
Guillermina
Feb 07, 2016 Guillermina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I found this collection on the Timmun Mas edition in Spanish, in which it was split into two books. I read Vol. 1 when I was in high-school, and I liked it enough to try and find the whole thing years later.

I am currently reading Vol. 2 and so far it is an example of everything wrong with writing "after" someone else.

Where Tolkien could weave a beautiful narration at the same time as he explores a theme, Charles de Lint's story is clumsily written, reading like a pamphlet on the eeevils of tec
Malquiviades
That's what happens on books including tales from different authors. Some you like, some you do not... and at the end the final rating goes to all of them.

In this case I have enjoyed quite a lot some of them (the ones from Pratchett, Silverberg, the Andersons, Brunner, de Lint and Tarr), but as a whole they did not touch anything within me. A warning for the Spanish readers: there is not a single tale set in The Middle Earth. These are tales inspired by Tolkien. This inspiration is usually subtl
Robert
Jun 03, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fantastic overall, with some real gems and only a few duds. This anthology in honor of Tolkien contains very few stories that are overtly Tolkienesque. Once I understood that, I settled into the rhythm of it.

Personal highlights:
"Gotterdam
Kody Piper
Dec 27, 2015 Kody Piper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-shelf
After the King is a collection of stories that, while not all are as Tolkien like as readers may hope, are for the most part satisfying and entertaining.

Some of these stores such as "Faith" by Poul and Karen Anderson and "The Naga" by Peter S. Beagle are gems that shouldn't be missed. While other stories such as "Down The River Road" by Gregory Benford and "Gotterdammerung" by Barry N. Malzberg are a struggle to enjoy. Overall this collection of stories is of average quality and i recommend read
Felipe Guerrero
Terminado este Homenaje a Tolkien.

La verdad no me gustó mucho, no era lo que esperaba pero no fue eso lo que causo que el libro no me gustara sino que realmente no le vi mucha relación a algunos de los cuentos, sobre todo los dos últimos se me hicieron enormemente aburridos, el penúltimo sobre todo. Algunos otros me gustaron bastante como "La naga", de Peter S. Beagle, "La casa halfling", de Dennis L. McKiernan, "La comunidad del dragón" de Patricia A. McKillip, El Rey del Invierno", de Jane Yol
Karen
May 02, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I basically keep this book because of "Silver or Gold." I bought it because of "Death and the Lady," which is also quite a fine work. As with most anthologies, there are strong and weak links. For me, the weakest was "Down the River Road"--initially imaginative, but far too long and dull with a conclusion that isn't all that surprising. (That said, I won't soon forget hydrogen hats.) I should read this again, as just looking through the table of contents renews my interest.

I don't know that the
Eric
May 15, 2015 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Obviously the great majority was not very familiar with Tolkien, who was a man who took fantasy (and myth and religion) seriously--see his essay "On Fairy Stories" for confirmation.
Of the stories in this book, most would not classify as real fantasy for Tolkien. Of the 19 stories in the book, only a few were worth reading:
--"Nine Threads of Gold" by Andre Norton
--"The Conjure Man" by Charles de Lint
--"The Naga" by Peter S. Beagle
Ileana
Feb 02, 2013 Ileana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prestados

Este libro lo pedí prestado porque tenía la edición como otro libro que ya había leído y me había gustado. La edición que me prestaron es de tapa dura y tiene sólo 230 páginas no las cuatrocientos y tantas que le pusieron aquí en goodreads porque es el primer tomo y tiene la letra pequeñísima como si fuera una biblia.

Algunos de los relatos que vienen si me gustaron o se me hicieron interesantes pero otros se me hicieron terriblemente aburridos.
Jendi
Mar 25, 2015 Jendi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an uneven collection that had a few great stories but only a tangential relationship to anything Tolkien. Favorites were Poul & Karen Anderson, Judith Tarr, Emma Bull, Peter S. Beagle (who is always excellent). I could not make head or tail of Benford's story. I remember liking Stephen Donaldson's "Reave the Just" when it came out in the 1990s, yet with the benefit of 20 years more life experience, I see that it is full of rape-victim-blaming myths. How sad.
Helen
Nov 06, 2013 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collection of stories inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien by the likes of Terry Pratchett, Peter S. Beagle, Charles De Lint, and Jane Yolen, amongst others. For the most part the writers keep away from literal tributes based in Middle Earth or featuring hobbits, which is refreshing, but then some of these stories also feel like throwaways, where there's too much of the author and not enough Tolkien tribute.

The gems are the stories from Pratchett, Yolen, and Beagle.
Clare
Dec 11, 2013 Clare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All short story collections are uneven, and the duds in After the King are either generic fantasy or just bizarre. But the stories that manage to echo or capture Tolkien and the depths of his world are well worth reading, especially John Brunner’s “In the Season of the Dressing of the Well.” It’s the highlight of the collection.
Julie
Jul 31, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this the first time in high school, and didn't like it so much. Now I find each story different but entertaining in its own way. Some are still difficult for me to find the spirit of Tolkien, but others like The Conjure Man and Silver and Gold catch that spirit. Even those that don't are worth the read though!
K. Axel
I read this whole anthology back in 2001 and I still remember most of the stories so it must have done something right!

My favorite story is, without a doubt, Charles de Lint's The Conjure Man, but there are other great stories such as Reave the Just, A Long Night's Vigil At the Temple and Down the River Road.
Thomas
Jun 03, 2011 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like any story collection, some of these are better than others. After the King contains "Troll Bridge," by Terry Pratchett, so it's definitely worth reading. A word of caution: don't expect much in the Tolkien department. None of these stories were written by the grandmaster, and I wouldn't describe any of them as Tolkienesque.
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • The Unseen University Cut-Out Book
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Stars and Stripes Triumphant (Stars & Stripes, #3)
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • Legends Volume 2
  • Faery
  • Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • Rainbow Mars
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...