Start by marking “Beauty” as Want to Read:
Beauty
Preview

Beauty

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  556 ratings  ·  58 reviews
She was an old horse, but she could still run like a champ. Grampa warned him to be careful with Beauty, but Luke didn't listen. He'd told her all about his hopes, dreams, and fears-- secrets Beauty would never reveal. She was his pal, who went skinny dipping with him in forbidden ponds and galloping after cattle in dangerous cowboy games he knew he shouldn't play. Until t ...more
Published November 23rd 1990 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
206th out of 776 books — 459 voters
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsMarley and Me by John GroganOld Yeller by Fred GipsonThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The dog dies...a cautionary list.
56th out of 143 books — 140 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly Vanco
Beauty Book Review
I thought this book was great. I loved every part of it except the ending. It starts out with a boy named Luke. His parents are fighting all the time and one day his dad just leaves. After his dad leaves his mom loses her job. So, his grandpa invites them to live with him. When Luke moves in he thinks his grandpa is a cranky, fussy, old man. Then his grandpa buys the horse his mom used to ride as a kid. When Luke starts riding Beauty he has no success. When he finally gets the
Diya
This book changed my life! I was in elementary school. Everyone was donating really old, torn, boring books to our grade. Everyone expected me to get a book about horses (I do horseback riding and I'm a girl, no dur!) I was about to pick up some dumb book about unicorns and rainbows, but in the corner of my eye, I saw this book just sitting there. It was previously owned by one of our old school teachers. It was in poor condition, but something told me I had to read it. I gave up a read a few p ...more
Zeb
Among my big "Almost for free from the Library" pile of books. (purchased from their throw out pile) It's all about the love for horses and family members, and horses being such - family members. The cast caring about horses includes three males and one female character - boy, grandfather, mother, and rugged but loveable neighbor. The intensity and honesty of the emotions reminded me of my childhood favorite "Flicka", and also that the protagonist is a boy. I suppose very many pony and horse sto ...more
Madison Moss
I have kind of grown up with horses so I could relate to this book pretty well.I read this book when I was younger and I loved it I have continued to love it. Its all about relationships, family, and love. Beauty certainly lives up to its title. Amazing sentimental book for all ages. It will make you have a different point of view for almost all situations.One of the only things I didn't like about this book was it was pretty sad almost all of the book.But like I said before it gives you a view ...more
Regan
Jul 05, 2013 Regan added it
Still moves me to remember the story.. I read it in 6th grade but I'll have to re-read it sometime.
Maggie
This book was really good. A sad ending though.
Jenna Engbrecht
I picked this book because I read it once when I was younger, and I also made my mom buy it at a book fair. The story takes place at a farm in the country, other wise known as Luke's grandpas house. Luke doesn't like his grandpa that much at first. He thinks he's mean and has a bunch of strict rules that Luke has to follow. Luke has an internal problem because he doesn't react to his grandfather, he just thinks these things to himself. Luke is definitely a dynamic character. He changes throughou ...more
122sara
May 14, 2013 122sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to 122sara by: Friend
Luke, an 11 year old boy, and his mother have to move to his grandfather's house because of money problems. At first he is very angry about moving. His grandpa is very strict and can be really grumpy sometimes. He and Luke get into many, many fights. Angry about having to live there, Luke rejects his family and everyone that he meets. That is, until he meets Beauty. Beauty is Luke's mother's old horse. She's the color of snow and has a spot on her forehead that looks like a star. Luke eventuall ...more
Keegan King
I don't know why I picked this book up off the library shelf. It was hardly anything cool an 8 year old kid would want to read. Horses, love, and other sappy things. I don't know if it was boredom, curiosity, or some weird twist of fate, but I picked it up, red it, cried my ass off, and never touched it again. Something about this book changed me as a kid from someone who enjoyed life to someone who valued it.
Elizabeth
I read this book in the third grade, it was truly a book that gave great detail of the feelings between each character. It was also sad because at the end the main character has to make a sacrifice that he seems that he does not want to make. Though this book has some tragedies, it shows many great examples.
Michelle
Mar 04, 2015 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: ref-booktalker
Listed as Q4 = Exceptional!, P4 = A book everyone wants to read
Emily Cornell
I read this so much as a kid...
Rachel
Very sweet book. Moving.
Linda
This book was so, so. My daughter and I have enjoyed other Bill Wallace books but so far this one is my least favorite. Even though it's heartwarming to see the relationship between Luke and his Grandfather develop and to see Luke grow personally, the story lacked something for me. As with all Bill Wallace books I have read, the beloved animal always meets with some tragedy that is a pivitol growing moment for the main character and this story was no different.
Another Battle Book read!
Christy
Oregon Battle of the Books. Beauty is a horse book. 10-year-old Luke loves his old horse Beauty, worries about starting 5th grade in a new place, learns to appreciate his cranky grandpa, and hopes his recently divorced mother finds happiness and a job. There's a tear-jerker moment and an Old Yeller ending, but on the whole, it's not spectacular. A good book for boys.
Rachel Inbar
This book needed to have 2 endings. One for older kids and one for younger ones. I think the one for younger children would be better... Basically, although I enjoyed the style of the writing and the story in general, I think it could have had a better ending. I read this to my 7-year-old and had to change it.
Jayna
I thought it was a really good book. His Grandpa is pretty mean but he gets better. It was sad at the beginning, and super sad at the end; at the very end it got a bit happier. the middle of the book was AWESOME! At some points it got boring but keep reading, it gets better.
Keely
I thought this book was great! It was a great read. It actually made me cry in the end, and only certain books can do that. I enjoyed reading about the bond between horse and man. Bill Wallace writes yet another great book!
Tamara Taylor
This is one of my favourite horse books of all time. It is so moving. I read this when I was a youngun and it has stuck with me over the past 20 years. I cried so hard at the end. I will remember this one always.
Jennifer Spires
Some books you loved as a kid don't stand the test of time. When you reread them as an adult you're left wondering why you loved it to begin with. In this case, not so. Never. It will always be amazing.
Matthew
I really enjoy Bill Wallace's novels and Beauty was no different. At its core it is a novel about relationships, family, and love. Beauty certainly lives up to its title and was a splendid read.
Taylor
Jul 07, 2008 Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horse lovers looking for a light read!
This is probably the first book I ever fell in love with. It's a light ready but amazing and anyone who loves horses will absolutely fall in love with it! It's a classic!
Isley
Beauty is about a horse. She is a old horse but she still loved people. A boy loves her and he faces the challenge to take care of the horse. But it is a sad book.
Sherri
The 1st time I read this book, was aloud to a class of 4th graders, get ready for a good cry! There I was sobbing in front of 30 nine and ten year olds. Great read!
Forever Emerald
a awesome book .Beauty a horse that belongs to a boy .one day it was raining and Beauty got scared and ran and got her leg broken and had to be put down.
Emma
This book is very good. It's about an old mare named Beauty and the boy who rides her.
There are very sad parts, but some of the best books are also sad.
Sean Panado
Amazing sentimental book. It will put you in a state of awe and sadness. It will make you have a different point of view for almost all situations.
Lani
Sep 23, 2008 Lani rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Oh wow, this book brought me to tears over and over and OVER again... I was a horse-crazy kid, so this book ended up being one of my favorites.
Tori Stuckey
I read this as a child and much of the story remains vivid in my mind today. I loved it, then, and I plan to re-read it eventually.
What's The Name o...: Sad book about a boy and his horse? [s] 5 116 Aug 02, 2012 01:42PM
  • The Trouble with Tuck
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Black Beauty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Deadly Stranger
  • I, Houdini
  • Come On, Seabiscuit!
  • Paint the Wind
  • Dylan's Choice (Thoroughbred, #30)
  • Firehorse
  • Before They Rode Horses (Saddle Club Super Edition, #5)
  • Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2)
  • Blaze and Thunderbolt
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Run Away Home (Phantom Stallion, #24)
  • Bold Beauty (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #3)
  • The Blind Colt
72012
Former elementary school teacher; West Elementary School, Chickasha, OK, principal, since 1977, and physical education teacher. Speaker at schools and universities in various states, including State University of New York and University of South Florida.

AWARDS:

Bluebonnet Award from Texas Association of School Librarians and Children's Round Table and Sequoyah Children's Book Award from Oklahoma St
More about Bill Wallace...
A Dog Called Kitty No Dogs Allowed! Pick of the Litter Snot Stew Red Dog