Start by marking “The Science of Hitting” as Want to Read:
The Science of Hitting

The Science of Hitting

Now fully revised with new illustrations and diagrams, the classic—and still the greatest—book on hitting from the last baseball player to break the magic .400 barrier, Ted Williams.

Ted Williams was arguably the greatest pure hitter who ever lived. A lifelong student of hitting, he sought advice from every great hitter—and pitcher—he met. Drawing on that advice, as well as
Published April 29th 1986 by Touchstone (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Hitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Hitting

Joe Boeke
Jun 01, 2011 Joe Boeke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
For young and inexperienced players, Ted Williams’ name may no longer hold the magic it did when I was growing up and playing baseball. But most of us "old-timers" will still remember that Williams was the last professional ball player (in the MLB) to hit over .400 for a full season. So when my Little League aged son was struggling a bit at the plate a season ago, I broke out my copy of Williams’ The Science of Hitting to look for some kernel of wisdom that would help my son get out of his ...more
Pjtibbetts
Dec 19, 2009 Pjtibbetts rated it really liked it
This book did wonders for my wiffle ball slugging pct.

If you're serious about baseball and hitting, check this book out. Like all old men, he rambles on about old stories and such, but sit & listen...try it out, and keep what works for you.
Eamonn Lance
I thought this book was very educational and since I play baseball it was very informational and interesting to see what one of the best players ever to play the game thought about. Ted Williams believed in a philosophy that many people now disagree with. His goal every time he got up to the plate was to hit the ball in the air and pull it. Many theories now a days believe to hit to the opposite field and get the ball on the ground and force more than one person to touch the baseball for more of ...more
Mark Mitchell
Aug 26, 2016 Mark Mitchell rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Ted Williams' treatise on hitting is a classic for a reason: it's informative, engaging, and concise. This book is written for the serious baseball player, not the casual fan; it's a description of how Williams approached hitting, from pitch selection to angle of bat at impact.

For today's well-trained players, the book will contain little new information because Williams' insights have become so well-accepted. For example, the fact that the bat should be traveling upwards (not downwards) at imp
Stanley Lee
Jun 05, 2007 Stanley Lee rated it really liked it
For the most part, it seems like a senile old man reliving out his glory days. I had no choice except to feel as if I was a kid who didn't really care what he was saying.

But I do care. Because I want to improve my hitting. The book is an incredible wealth of information and hitting genius. It smiles at its own admittedly cliche and hackneyed phrases, but this doesn't detract from its quality due to the exact and practical applications that it has for the reader.

Great read. Would reccomend it fo
Pierce Glore
Nov 23, 2015 Pierce Glore rated it it was amazing
Ted Williams was possibly the greatest hitter to ever play the game of baseball and when he writes a book about hitting, you pay attention.
Throughout the book he reflects on past experiences over his professional career and personal life. He shows the science and physics behind the art of hitting a baseball.
Ted said hitting a baseball was "The hardest thing to do in sport". He uses the knowledge of other greats to write this book. He really stays true to the fundamentals of the game and breaks
Curtis Whimpey
Apr 03, 2014 Curtis Whimpey rated it really liked it
This book helped me a lot. I have been struggling with hitting a litte bit and my mo told me to read this book. I read it and I learned a lot of new things that helped my swing improve and help me hit the ball more. I just started off a new season and I am a little rusty but this book has helped me get better fast. I think that you should read this if you like baseball and aren't the best hitter or if you want to get better at hitting. It has a lot of pointers from older MLB players it is a ...more
Wilte
Oct 08, 2015 Wilte rated it liked it
Nice read with baseball batting wisdom from the last .400 hitter. Not quite Yogi Berra but some nice truisms: "the greatest hitter living can't hit bad balls good" [p.15] (baseball's equivalent of pick your battles). p.60: "There is nobody who throws hard throwing easy. The only way you can throw hard is to throw hard"

Graphics and pictures are nice, most of the players mentioned I did not know/recognize. And there is only a tiny fraction science among all anecdote, so the title is misleading.
Mike
Jul 11, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's not Weaver on Strategy: The Classic Work on the Art of Managing a Baseball Team, but it's a great read and a compelling look inside the head of the best hitter of all time.
Godfrey
Jul 07, 2014 Godfrey rated it really liked it
"I averaged .344 for a career. I had a higher percentage of game-winning home runs than Ruth, I was second only to Ruth in slugging and percentage combined; I was walked more frequently than Ruth and struck out less--once every eleven times up to Ruth's one in six. I had to be doing something right, and for my money the principal something was being selective."
Marcusl
Sep 02, 2014 Marcusl rated it it was amazing
This book helped me a bunch. My knowledge of hitting a baseball skyrocketed with his teachings because the entire book was easy to understand as he mentioned each topic 3 or 4 times. I will definitely read more like this, a great read for baseball players interested in being the next triple crown winner and hall of famer.
Bill
Aug 11, 2014 Bill rated it it was ok
Shelves: baseball, my-library
The advice given by Ted William can easily be misunderstood, and I would say that what worked for him will not work for every one. He was a great hitter with a very strong personality, but that does not mean he was a great hitting instructor.
Ken
Oct 03, 2011 Ken rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Not only does Williams describe the proper mechanics of hitting a baseball, he also describes the mental game between the pitcher and the batter. This has changed how I watch baseball games.
Gary Mesick
Oct 23, 2009 Gary Mesick rated it it was amazing
Anyone who wants to hit a baseball should read this book. Anyone who wants to help such a person should buy this for him/her.
Braden S
Sep 01, 2015 Braden S rated it liked it
this is a very interesting book it is not a chapter book it is a more picture and graphics about the game of baseball and hitting.
Rmtjournal
Jul 07, 2010 Rmtjournal rated it really liked it
Excellent counsel from the last man to hit .400 in a season. I use this to teach my youth baseball team.
D
Jun 26, 2008 D rated it really liked it
The Splinter makes an instant classic. It is interesting to see a true professional explain his craft. Would have helped me a lot in little league if I had read this.
Mike Mastropietro
Feb 12, 2016 Mike Mastropietro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, sports
If you are a baseball fan, you should own it. A little bit reference, a lit bit story telling. One of the greatest hitters talks his favorite topic.
Marc Incitti
Apr 04, 2015 Marc Incitti rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn how to hit the curveball, how to hit safely to the opposite field, and how to increase your AVG. by 50-100 points, this is THE manual.
Nick H
Aug 25, 2014 Nick H rated it really liked it
Like sitting on Grandpa's knee hearing stories about the glory days. Of course, in this case Grandpa happens to be one of the greatest, most intellectual hitters in the history of baseball.
Jim Rossi
Apr 19, 2015 Jim Rossi rated it it was amazing
Can't get much better. Helped me re-invent myself as a great hitter in semi-pro ball after years away from the game.
Dan
May 20, 2008 Dan rated it really liked it
This book breaks down hitting strategy and technique and covers pretty much everything a batter would want to know.
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2016
J Chad
J Chad rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Katya
Katya rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2011
Matt Poindexter
Oct 21, 2009 Matt Poindexter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
One of the best sports books every published.
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2009
Michael Thomas
Michael Thomas rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Rocket That Fell to Earth: Roger Clemens and the Rage for Baseball Immortality
  • The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers: An Historical Compendium of Pitching, Pitchers, and Pitches
  • Bushville Wins!: The Wild Saga of the 1957 Milwaukee Braves and the Screwballs, Sluggers, and Beer Swiggers Who Canned the New York Yankees and Changed Baseball
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • Baseball: A History of America's Favorite Game
  • Have Glove, Will Travel: Adventures of a Baseball Vagabond
  • My Life in Baseball: The True Record
  • Ted Williams: The Biography of an American Hero
  • The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball
  • Heart of the Game: Life, Death, and Mercy in Minor League America
  • The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World
  • Watching Baseball Smarter: A Professional Fan's Guide for Beginners, Semi-experts, and Deeply Serious Geeks
  • Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups: A Complete Guide to the Best, Worst, and Most Memorable Players to Ever Grace the Major Leagues
  • The Numbers Game: Baseball's Lifelong Fascination with Statistics