The Science of Hitting

The Science of Hitting

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Now fully revised with new illustrations and diagrams, the classic—and still the greatest—book on hitting from the last baseball player to break the magic .400 barrier, Ted Williams.

Ted Williams was arguably the greatest pure hitter who ever lived. A lifelong student of hitting, he sought advice from every great hitter—and pitcher—he...more
Published April 29th 1986 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Hitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Hitting

Pjtibbetts
This book did wonders for my wiffle ball slugging pct.

If you're serious about baseball and hitting, check this book out. Like all old men, he rambles on about old stories and such, but sit & listen...try it out, and keep what works for you.
Curtis Whimpey
This book helped me a lot. I have been struggling with hitting a litte bit and my mo told me to read this book. I read it and I learned a lot of new things that helped my swing improve and help me hit the ball more. I just started off a new season and I am a little rusty but this book has helped me get better fast. I think that you should read this if you like baseball and aren't the best hitter or if you want to get better at hitting. It has a lot of pointers from older MLB players it is a grea...more
Joe Boeke
For young and inexperienced players, Ted Williams’ name may no longer hold the magic it did when I was growing up and playing baseball. But most of us "old-timers" will still remember that Williams was the last professional ball player (in the MLB) to hit over .400 for a full season. So when my Little League aged son was struggling a bit at the plate a season ago, I broke out my copy of Williams’ The Science of Hitting to look for some kernel of wisdom that would help my son get out of his slump...more
Godfrey
"I averaged .344 for a career. I had a higher percentage of game-winning home runs than Ruth, I was second only to Ruth in slugging and percentage combined; I was walked more frequently than Ruth and struck out less--once every eleven times up to Ruth's one in six. I had to be doing something right, and for my money the principal something was being selective."
Marcusl
This book helped me a bunch. My knowledge of hitting a baseball skyrocketed with his teachings because the entire book was easy to understand as he mentioned each topic 3 or 4 times. I will definitely read more like this, a great read for baseball players interested in being the next triple crown winner and hall of famer.
Bill
The advice given by Ted William can easily be misunderstood, and I would say that what worked for him will not work for every one. He was a great hitter with a very strong personality, but that does not mean he was a great hitting instructor.
Nick H
Like sitting on Grandpa's knee hearing stories about the glory days. Of course, in this case Grandpa happens to be one of the greatest, most intellectual hitters in the history of baseball.
Stanley Lee
For the most part, it seems like a senile old man reliving out his glory days. I had no choice except to feel as if I was a kid who didn't really care what he was saying.

But I do care. Because I want to improve my hitting. The book is an incredible wealth of information and hitting genius. It smiles at its own admittedly cliche and hackneyed phrases, but this doesn't detract from its quality due to the exact and practical applications that it has for the reader.

Great read. Would reccomend it fo...more
Ken
This is a great book. Not only does Williams describe the proper mechanics of hitting a baseball, he also describes the mental game between the pitcher and the batter. This has changed how I watch baseball games.
Marc Incitti
If you want to learn baseball things like how to hit the curveball, how to hit safely to the opposite field, and/or how to increase your AVG. by 50-100 points, this is THE manual.
D
The Splinter makes an instant classic. It is interesting to see a true professional explain his craft. Would have helped me a lot in little league if I had read this.
Mastro
If you are a baseball fan, you should own it. A little bit reference, a lit bit story telling. One of the greatest hitters talks his favorite topic.
Gary Mesick
Anyone who wants to hit a baseball should read this book. Anyone who wants to help such a person should buy this for him/her.
Dan
This book breaks down hitting strategy and technique and covers pretty much everything a batter would want to know.
Rmtjournal
Excellent counsel from the last man to hit .400 in a season. I use this to teach my youth baseball team.
Bruce
If I had read this forty years ago, I might have been a .270 hitter.
Steven
I learned that Ted Williams know his hitting.
Matt Poindexter
One of the best sports books every published.
Tyler Baker
Dec 10, 2010 Tyler Baker is currently reading it
this book really improves your skill.
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Dillon
Dillon marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
My Turn at Bat: The Story of My Life A Golden Voice: How Faith, Hard Work, and Humility Brought Me from the Streets to Salvation Wild Moments Ted Williams' Hit List: The Best of the Best Ranks the Best of the Rest The Reservation